Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

Manhunt: Dr. Samuel Mudd

What do you think of Dr. Samuel Mudd? Was he guilty, and of what?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to events through Chapter Seven. Some readers of this thread may not have finished the book. If you are referring to events that occur after Chapter Seven, please use "Spoiler Warning" in the subject line of your post. Thanks!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: Manhunt: Dr. Samuel Mudd

Dr. Mudd was guilty; he met with Booth and the others in 1864 and there were plans discussed about kidnapping Lincoln. He also was keeping assorted gun, etc. that Booth sent him and said he would pick them up later but never did. Mudd is also guilty of helping Booth set his broken leg and letting him stay a few hours to rest.
****SPOILER WARNING ***** for those that have not read past Chapter 2.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

He was without a doubt guilty of aiding a fugitive. He knew who Booth was. He had met him earlier and was aware of the plans Booth had to kidnap the President. He withheld important information from the federal authorities.
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Donti wrote:
He was without a doubt guilty of aiding a fugitive. He knew who Booth was. He had met him earlier and was aware of the plans Booth had to kidnap the President. He withheld important information from the federal authorities.

I agree. I think Mudd tried to get around things by claiming that he was only complying with the Hippocratic Oath, and some things I read years ago portrayed him as a hapless pawn, but that argument has pretty much been decimated.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

BookClubEditor wrote:

What do you think of Dr. Samuel Mudd? Was he guilty, and of what?

Even Dr Mudd himself knew he was guilty of conspiracy and aiding and abetting. After he did all he could to help Booth, then he got scared and to cover his tracks had his brother go tell the Union Soldiers that "two strangers" had been at his house that he was uncomfortable with. Then after he was taken, he withheld important information, gave some truths and some lies trying to cover his part in it all from clear back to the conspiracy to kidnap the President.

OH HEY, I found the title and content of this movie I thought i had seen ages ago with Dennis Weaver playing Dr Mudd and I dont remember much of it, but thought it portrayed him as an innocent country doctor and look what I found about it at a video rental site! Man if this is still out there to rent, I will have to check it out again. heres what it says:

THE ORDEAL OF DR MUDD
2. Dennis Weaver stars in this made-for-television film chronicling a little-known figure in American history. In 1865, Maryland physician Samuel Mudd (Weaver) became inadvertently linked to the murder of President Abraham Lincoln when he treated the broken leg of assassin John Wilkes Booth. Framed as Booth's co-conspirator, Mudd was sentenced to a lifetime of hard labor and suffered years of cruelty and hardship at a notorious penal colony. Mudd's wife Frances (Susan Sullivan) continued to maintain her husband's innocence throughout his ordeal until he was finally pardoned by President Andrew Johnson for acts of bravery during a yellow fever epidemic.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online: 58 members 1,109 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: