Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

Manhunt: Mary Surratt

What was Mary Surratt's level of culpability in the assassination? Was her punishment an injustice?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to events through Chapter Ten. Some readers of this thread may not have finished the book. If you are referring to events that occur after Chapter Ten, please use "Spoiler Warning" in the subject line of your post. Thanks!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: Manhunt: Mary Surratt

Mary Surratt was an accomplice of the conspiracy by housing the men who were originally going to kidnap Lincoln. As an accomplice, she deserved to be punished also as that made her a Confederate sympathizer.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
aurora
0 Kudos

She was a full conspirator, but she was also a woman. Traditionally, women were treated differently in society, so her execution is probably an insight into just how angry and chaotic the public had become.
Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

Mary Surratt was clearly a co-conspirator and as such, she deserved the punishment that she received.
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Did Mary Surratt really know about the assassinations or did she think she was just being a loyal Confederate furthering their cause by providing a meeting place for Confederate operatives? Could she have thought they were still planning a kidnapping instead of murder? Did John Surratt feel coming back from Canada wouldn't help his mother but just get them both hanged? Was her sentence too harsh if you compare her role to the active participants? I'm interested in all ideas.
Librarian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Librarian wrote:
Did Mary Surratt really know about the assassinations or did she think she was just being a loyal Confederate furthering their cause by providing a meeting place for Confederate operatives? Could she have thought they were still planning a kidnapping instead of murder? Was her sentence too harsh if you compare her role to the active participants? I'm interested in all ideas.
Librarian

Librarian,
I am not through with the book yet but i see from some of the post here that Mary was hanged. I just finished reading her "statement" to the military the night she was taken from her home and put in prison and continued to cover up facts, even after knowing what had happened. I dont know what I think about it all yet, need to finish the book, but, a thought crossed my mind, tell me your oppinion on it..or anyone please. We do know she was a conspirator and in some ways more involved than others arrested and knew more than others arrested. As to her punishment, i wonder this....when we are speaking of the assassination of an American President, if a person aides the actual murderer, hides facts that could help, hides the fact she knows the man before her at all much less that he was another assassin, given as I say that this is the nations leader, should anyone get off lighter than the one who pulled the trigger and also made no attempt to help find the actors of the offense? We use the term on other things ..lies of omission... was her guilt or anyone who does such, not the same? Did she not have a duty to bring to attention these men when the kidnapping was planned? If she had, how might it have changed history.

At a more local level for example, in this state and I am sure in many, if a person fleeing a Police Officer...if the officer crashes and dies, whether the person running actually caused the crash or not, just if by not stopping and in the course of being pursued, the officer is killed, the offender is guilty of murder one. If we care that much for our police officers, and I think we should, then how much more is it with the President of our Nation? We still hang (or put to death) traitors for spying for other countries, one not but a couple of years ago. Traitors dont actually render parts of our military operations or people inoperable or dead by their own hands but because of the help they give to enemies of the state, they cause the ability to do so to be there. Was Mary not a traitor in rendering aid to those who would kill OR even "just" kidnap our head of state? If we let those go, does it set a presidence for others who may not have the guts to pull a trigger but will be glad to help someone else do it, if they know in the end, they will not be punished as much anyway? I dont know, but I pose it as a question for thought here.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Vivico1----I'm not sure either what the punishment is for accomplices in a crime of murder. Any lawyers out there? Is the sentence less?
Librarian
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Mary Surratt was guilty of having knowledge of a conspiracy to kidnap Lincoln. I'm not convinced that she knew JWB was going to kill him. I believe she deserved time in prison, but not capital punishment. If death was the punishment for sympathizing with the Confederacy, thousands of people would have to be executed.

Message Edited by katknit on 03-17-200710:22 PM

No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

katknit wrote:
Mary Surratt was guilty of having knowledge of a conspiracy to kidnap Lincoln. I'm not convinced that she knew JWB was going to kill him. I believe she deserved time in prison, but not capital punishment. If death was the punishment for sympathizing with the Confederacy, thousands of people would have to be executed.

Message Edited by katknit on 03-17-200710:22 PM

I am not convinced this was about being a "confederate" sympathizer. This was a President. Even the south and the confederacy wrote to Washington right away saying, hey this was not us, this was dispicable and not us. Thats why of course thousands of confederate sympathizers were not executed , because that is a very different thing than being part of the assassination of a president OR kidnapping of the President, which could carry the same penalty. Also Mary knew more and was involved more than just having a knowledge of the kidnapping, she helped get things to Booth, like his field glasses and messages to have his guns ready. Then after the assassinate and her part was revealed, she even said she thought Booth was probably "an instrument in God's hands" when he killed the president. She harbored other conspirators too.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 951 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: