Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
wburns_kh
0 Kudos

Welcome to Manhunt from the moderator

How tough a challenge is it to make a story exciting even when everybody knows how it ends? Welcome to the discussion of James Swanson's Manhunt, beginning March 5. Manhunt is the compulsively readable narrative of the search for John Wilkes Booth, the murderer of Abraham Lincoln. I'm Bill Burns, the moderator of the discussion, and I look forward to hearing from all of you.
Contributor
aurora
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to Manhunt from the moderator

I'm only a fourth of the way through the book, and I'm enthralled with it. I've been interested in the Civil War since I was a child and my family toured some of the battlegrounds. My great-great-grandfather served with William Terrill and Don Carlos Buell, so I've been trying to do some genealogical research along those lines, too. Lincoln is such a fascinating president, I don't know how anyone could pass up this book. So far, I've found it very enlightening about a pivotal event in American history.
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Even though we know the outcome, I think this book becomes riveting because of the writing style and also because of the many fascinating details some of us never knew.
Librarian
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Just started this book and am already hooked. It's fascinating to discover how Booth spent the day of the assassination before actually killing the president.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Hmmmm. Why do you think JWB took such a chance by using a single shot Derringer? For a man on a mission, that's tempting fate.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Contributor
aurora
0 Kudos

katknit wrote:
Hmmmm. Why do you think JWB took such a chance by using a single shot Derringer? For a man on a mission, that's tempting fate.

Hmmm.... Maybe he was so confident and obsessed, he was sure he could pull off his plan with a single shot making reloading unnecessary.
Frequent Contributor
wburns_kh
0 Kudos

Booth was clearly a man who liked drama for its own sake, and he might have planned only one shot for that reason.
Users Online
Currently online: 90 members 703 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: