New User
TheDutchCanadian
0 Kudos

Book suggestions

I am currently looking for a readable, comprehensive book on Franklin D Roosevelt. He has contributed very much to this country and a book on him would fit wonderfully on my bookshelf. I also think a book on Eisenhower (Ike) would be very good as well. But I would prefer a book focusing on the life and presidency of these two men, not all about their war time feats. Lastly, if anyone has any other books on presidents or important people in the history of the world (Napoleon, Churchill, etc.) they would recommend for me or everyone, I would greatly appreciate it.
Blogger
L_Monty

Re: Book suggestions

TheDutchCanadian wrote:
I am currently looking for a readable, comprehensive book on Franklin D Roosevelt. He has contributed very much to this country and a book on him would fit wonderfully on my bookshelf. I also think a book on Eisenhower (Ike) would be very good as well. But I would prefer a book focusing on the life and presidency of these two men, not all about their war time feats. Lastly, if anyone has any other books on presidents or important people in the history of the world (Napoleon, Churchill, etc.) they would recommend for me or everyone, I would greatly appreciate it.

Interesting that you bring up FDR. In conjunction with April's "Everything's going to hell in a handbasket!" economic theme for Current Events, the History forum will be reading Adam Cohen's Nothing to Fear: FDR's Inner Circle and the 100 Days That Created Modern America, which I felt would be a nice counterpoint to current discussions about Obama's first 100 days. However, since you're looking more for a one volume biography covering everything about him, I've skimmed through and also heard nothing but good things about FDR by Jean Edward Smith. 

As for Eisenhower and Napoleon, I'm not wonky enough about them to really have a preference, so hopefully another poster will be nice enough to make recommendations for you. On Churchill, though, you're probably best off going with Martin Gilbert, who is Churchill's official historian and knows more about him than probably anyone else does (or should).
New User
TheDutchCanadian
0 Kudos

Thanks for your recommendations. Both books look quite good and have wonderful reviews. And, on top of that, they are well priced. I, when the "funds" are available, will purchase both of those books on two very important men. The only thing is that they are fairly large (for a nonfiction book), so I will need to read these two over the summer(along with Post-War by Tony Judt and The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, and maybe more if there are any other good recommendations)

New User
NikkiO
0 Kudos

Read books on the Financial Panic of 1873 to 1879...President Grant, Samuel Jones Tilden. There is a wealth of information about how corrupt our government was and how the panic began and ended.