New User
cubbiegirlem
0 Kudos

Re: Books read in History Book Club

I'd also like to add, that I would appreciate reading books available in paperback or the library from time to time, to cut costs. (Of course, new hard copy books are OK sometimes, but every month might be a stretch for a poor student. :smileyhappy:)
Frequent Contributor
jimmackin
0 Kudos

cubbiegirlem - I did some checking, and all the books that we noted so far are library books and paperbacks. I jogged down to my local B & N to "touch and feel" them, and I was more than pleasantly surprised. "First They Killed My Father" is the shortest and the others are in the 400-page range. It may be silly to dwell on these characteristics of the books, but they are real practical considerations. I like the idea of getting away from US history, but will keep an open mind on these and additional book ideas.
Frequent Contributor
Oldesq
0 Kudos

Taking a real risk here but for something way off the beaten path that doesn't involve a war or American history -- how about Dash's book about Tulipomania that gripped the Netherlands during the 1630s? I keep meaning to get around to reading the book. In light of similar booms and bubbles in modern history I think this would be an interesting read.

Oldesq
Frequent Contributor
jimmackin
0 Kudos

Thanks for the additional book idea.
Contributor
MaggieL54
0 Kudos

Is Boom still the book for January? I am interested in joining and as I am a Boomer am interested in this book. I read lots of different genres and books, I am also interested in the Halberstram book and now find I must check out the Carnegie book. OH Well -too many books, too little time
Frequent Contributor
Oldesq
0 Kudos

MaggieL54 wrote:
Is Boom still the book for January? I am interested in joining and as I am a Boomer am interested in this book. I read lots of different genres and books, I am also interested in the Halberstram book and now find I must check out the Carnegie book. OH Well -too many books, too little time

MaggieL54 Yes, Boom is still the book as reported on the announcement page. I got through it pretty quickly and it is an interesting read although I am not sure it will make for a good discussion- but I am always surprised by the ideas that readers might be sparked by.
New User
DaveB
0 Kudos

I am a long-time History buff and just joined the club. Looking forward to future books. On that topic, how do the announcements of future books work? When will the February book be announced? and, how do I find out about it? If there is a particular thread or part of the bulletin board that has this info that I missed, I apologize - maybe someone can just point me in the right direction.

DaveB
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

DaveB wrote:
I am a long-time History buff and just joined the club. Looking forward to future books. On that topic, how do the announcements of future books work? When will the February book be announced? and, how do I find out about it? If there is a particular thread or part of the bulletin board that has this info that I missed, I apologize - maybe someone can just point me in the right direction.

DaveB

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Book Clubs! We will be talking about Mark Kurlansky's The Big Oyster in February. You can also find our announcements and selections in the Book Club's Announcements Thread.

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Maria

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!