Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Boom!: About the Book

Boom!: Voices of the Sixties Personal Reflections on the '60s and Today

Published as the fortieth anniversary of 1968 approaches, Boom! gives us what Tom Brokaw sees as a virtual reunion of some members of "the class of ’68," offering wise and moving reflections and frank personal remembrances about people’s lives during a time of high ideals and profound social, political, and individual change. What were the gains, what were the losses? Who were the winners, who were the losers? As they look back decades later, what do members of the sixties generation think really mattered in that tumultuous time, and what will have meaning going forward?

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
yellowbird2525
0 Kudos

Re: Boom!: About the Book

haven't read the book yet but growing up in that time, & being a former hippie, i can tell you that in the age of micro mini's of which I wore my fair share, I much preferred to wear long dresses & skirts; working for the phone company I was told that my longer dresses & skirts were considered a hazard (give me a break! they were ankle length & didn't hang over my shoes or boots) but the union jumped in for me (I was the only one there wearing them)& said the company would have to buy uniforms & pay for the cleaning if they were going to have a dress code! I adored patched jeans & the individuality that was rampant everywhere in those days. Or maybe I was born a rebel and refused to listen to the dictates of society & instead followed my heart. I will never forget they fired on us at Kent University tho; many people say many things but a closer look at the picture shows students walking on the campus carrying books. Then it was the establishment that fired shots on students not other students.
yellowbird2525
Contributor
WCABBall
0 Kudos

Just signed on and am looking forward to discussing this book. Although I am to young to have experienced this time frame directly, the 60's seem to have had a great impact on this country. The little I have read so far really points to a loss of innocence. That concept of America awakening into new and sometimes better ideas is what I believe will really fascinate me about this book and discussion.
New User
Suzabell
0 Kudos

Just got the book for Christmas. Looking forward to the discussions. I was 15 in 1968. Doesn't seem that long ago...
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

I just finished "reading" the book. Actually I listened to the audio while baking and cooking through the holidays. They did a good job with it. I was in high school when Kennedy was shot...I remember the Democratic convention in Chicago ( live in a suberb ). A facenating reminescence of a time gone, and maybe not. Brokaw asks some interesting questions about where the '60's generation have taken us.

MG
Contributor
MaggieL54
0 Kudos

The book arrived today, so I am going to try to start it tonite. I was 14 in 1968, just getting ready to start high school. In fact, I will always remember the night MLK was shot. I had just registered for my freshman year. And too, the summer after with the death of RFK and the Chicago convention. I was always caught up in the newspapers and television of the time. It did form many of us. Can't wait to see how Brokaw delivers it.

Maggie
New User
JarJarBinks68
0 Kudos

I started the book a couple of days ago and so far it is fascinating to look at that era thru Brokaw's eyes. The changes that the decade made to those from the Fifties mentality to the "new age" were phenominal. From the intro by Brokow I think it will be interesting to see how we can make comparisons from that time to life now that we are in a similar war with public opinion gravitating almost the same way.

BTW, I wasn't even born when MLK and Bobby Kennedy were assasinated. My brothers and parents have told me a lot about public reaction then and how they perceived things. I come from a military family who had one potential draft dodger in it so that will make this read all that much more appropriate reading in an attempt to understand life then.

~JarJar~
Frequent Contributor
Curt42
0 Kudos

I am a baby boomer, born in 1947. In the time frame of this book, I graduated from high school, graduated from college and did a four year tour in the Air Force. I read this book from the point of view of history and a comparison to how I remember the times.

I found the book was a quick read, took about three days. Overall I was disappointed. I expected a little bit more of a history book on a time line instead of topic driven. I guess I did not pay enough attention to the reminiscences line on the cover. Personal reflection is fine because the names in the book were prominent at the time or since then. However, I felt that each one of his sections spent far too much time giving the background of the person (maybe we don't know who they were?) and not enough of their reflections of the time. I was really disappointed with the po;itician section because it seemed to be more of a promo for the current politicians. There was a lot of tie in to the present which was more of how we got here instead of what did we do back then. There was also key issues of the time that were totally overlooked or passed over. Issues such as the student movement were focussed on the Free Speech movement and the takeover at Columbia. How about all the other college, big and small? The issues touched almost every campus. There was nothing about the organized movements like the SDS and their radical outcropping, the Weatherman. Then there was the moratorium days in late 1969. I realize that there was a limit to the size of the book, but I wish it had been either more history or even reflections and less of the mini-biographies.

One part that I did like was the time line at the end, but Brokaw ignored most of the events in the text.
Frequent Contributor
yellowbird2525
0 Kudos

this is a message about the era; JFK won the presidency by popular vote; but the elector vote did not vote him in. Due to the outcry & uproar of the people, he was put in office. I must say this for him: he never took any money for his service to the country, either in Congress or as President. To my knowledge he is the only person who ever did this. Furthermore, during WW11 when war bonds were sold, they would show "films" of the war & why people should support by buying war bonds; one film showed damaged planes on a carrier at sea being pushed over into the ocean; however, they also pushed into the ocean perfectly good planes at the same time; no bonds were sold that night (it was shown during movies); since that time, the Pentagon has notoriously overpaid for everything for the military; however, many different generations of military personnel can tell you that they went into deserts with huge bulldozers & huge holes were dug & brand new tents, jeeps, motorcycles, any & all things imaginable were buried so the military could claim they had used everything up & needed more money the next time; this same procedure has been carried down to states, cities, etc; the great financial ****which is still going on to this very day. any protesters left out there?
yellowbird2525