Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Circa
0 Kudos

Re: King Henry VIII

A book on Henry VIII is what started me on my life-long love of history. I'm all for the suggestion of reading something about the Tudors.

Circa 

Contributor
LadyJ10
0 Kudos

I as well find the King interesting as well as the Ladies that surrounded him. I have The Other Boleyn Girl but have not read it yet but am very eager to.
"A man has only one life time. But history can remember you forever."
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

LadyJ10 wrote:
I as well find the King interesting as well as the Ladies that surrounded him. I have The Other Boleyn Girl but have not read it yet but am very eager to.

I have read The Other Boleyn Girl.  I thought it was very good.  Philippa Gregory does a good job with the history and making a readable story.  I also read The Boleyn Inheretance.   This one covers Ann of Cleaves and Catheren Howard.  I am just finishing The Constant Princess.  This one goes back into the early life of Catheran of Aragon.  Also good historical novels by the same author.

MG

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've had The Other Boleyn Girl for a while, but haven't read it yet.

As for non-fiction, I just got Henry VIII and The Life of Elizabeth I, both by Alison Weir.  I don't know when I'll get around to them - I've had her Henry VIII: The King and His Court on my TBR shelf for a few years now.  I think both of my new ones have been out for a while; I don't know how I missed them before.  Weir is my favorite author of this type of book, and I have a number of her books on the Plantagenets, Tudors, and other royal personages.

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 10-29-2008 04:27 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Reader 2
ammobaby
0 Kudos

I love reading about Henry VIII, he was a fascinating person. There are some interesting books available about him and all of his wives (who are just as interesting to read about. My personal favorite is Anne Boleyn).  I had the opportunity to live in England for 3 years and got to visit the Tower of London and see Henrys armor and the place where Anne was beheaded. It was amazing to be able to actually see the places I had read about.

Lindsay

Frequent Contributor
book-nut
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:
No, I have not seen the urn (other than in photos).  I was only in Westminster Abbey for a few minutes when I was twelve, and I knew nothing about the Princes back then.

Maybe someday you will get to go back.  When I went to London 4 years ago, I was especially into reading about the Tudors and The Plantaganets.  I incorporated many places affiliated with them into my 11 days, including Windsor Castle, Westminster Abbey, Leeds Castle (Henry VIII once owned it).  Our hotel was in Kensington, right near Kensington Palace.  I loved London so much!!  It was my first foreign trip, and remains my only foreign trip (except for the Bahamas, if you count that)!  I dream of going back to England, but I'm not doing well enough in this economy to even consider it right now... when you read so much history, there's something really special about being able to see the places.  When I go back someday, Oxford and Cambridge are next on the list of "places to go"... would like to go back to Canterbury, as well.

~ book-nut

Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

I have always loved history and being married to an Englishman has certainly steered me in the direction of Henry VIII, the Tudors and Plantagenets which I find absolutely fascinating. Alison Weir is my favorite author on English history and my favorite books so far are "Wars of the Roses" and "The Innocent Traitor".

I am also lucky enough to visit many of the sites mentioned in these books whenever we go to England to visit my husbands family. And it also helps that my sister is now living in London as well. :smileywink:

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Frequent Contributor
book-nut
0 Kudos

Paula717 wrote:

I have always loved history and being married to an Englishman has certainly steered me in the direction of Henry VIII, the Tudors and Plantagenets which I find absolutely fascinating. Alison Weir is my favorite author on English history and my favorite books so far are "Wars of the Roses" and "The Innocent Traitor".

I am also lucky enough to visit many of the sites mentioned in these books whenever we go to England to visit my husbands family. And it also helps that my sister is now living in London as well. :smil

Lucky you!! My fondest dream was always to marry an Englishman!  It could still happen I guess ~ it's never too late!  :-)   ~ book-nut

Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

Lucky you!! My fondest dream was always to marry an Englishman!  It could still happen I guess ~ it's never too late!  :-)   ~ book-nut

It's never too late. Don't give up hope!! :smileyhappy:

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke