Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

MY EARLY LIFE~~INTRODUCTIONS

A couple of weeks ago we embarked on trying to make a go of an Ad Hoc History Book Club reading a non fiction book titled MY EARLY LIFE by Winston Churchill. Oldesq graciously accepted being the moderator for this selection and I am Watson to Oldesq's Holmes helping with set up and with supplemental informational support and any ad hoc organization to help make this effort fly.

We wanted a selection that would capture the imagination and the interest of a broad group of people; therefore a small group decided upon this selection (a very small group).

So far we have received participation and support from the following folks who have either posted in one of the threads and/or have indicated that they are reading or have read MY EARLY LIFE or want to read it. They are listed as follows:

Oldesq of course
Bentley
Timbuktu1
Juniperus
Kujo
Va-BBoomer
Juniperus
Everyman
Choisya
Debbook
Jplatzer
Stuart_Finlay

We have also heard from others who just popped in, had some questions etc. We are not sure if they are or any others are reading and participating in some way. The folks who we do know about are:

Historyismypassion
Vagabondher
Peppermill
Salome

Since we never had the tools to set up everything just so; we just made a decision to read the book, set up the parameters, and "just do it". We are at the beginning of this read (two weeks into the process) and we can assure everyone that in the spirit of our hero -- we are never, never, never going to quit; we will finish this book!

What I thought would be nice is for everyone to just post a sentence or two letting us know how you are doing on the book, whether you are as excited about Winston Churchill as I know I am, or anything else you would like to share; if you would just like to tell us you are here and participating that would be nice too; we may be selecting future reads as we have discussed and we will want to make sure that we reach out to you to see what your choices might be.

So I will begin:

I am Bentley, a frequent contributor, live in the Metro New York City area, originally from New England, have a Boston accent (yes it is true); love Maine and visit it often, love England and visit that often too (many friends and relatives there), have a wonderful dog and family (you noticed who I named first - although I adore my family); my beloved GSP, absolutely adore Winston Churchill and have for a long time, love MY EARLY LIFE because it is so approachable and almost unspoiled, love starting at the beginning, love skiing (waterski and Alpine; not so much a Nordic person - like more excitement), love hiking, walking events, and for this selection I feel like the epitome of Watson (Holmes assistant -lol); I try to keep things on topic, on the right thread and keep things moving; glad to meet all of you and look forward to successfully completing this great book from a noble gent who has a wonderful accent too.

All best,

Bentley

Would love to hear from all of you participating even those silently with us.

This is the thread for all introductions related to MY EARLY LIFE and/or the Ad Hoc History Book Club!

Thanks.
Contributor
Juniperus
0 Kudos

Re: MY EARLY LIFE~~INTRODUCTIONS

Hello All,

I am enjoying MY EARLY LIFE and also enjoying the book JENNIE (Churchill’s mother). Even more than the book itself, I have enjoyed reading the posts of Bentley, Oldesq and Timbuktu1. Thank you for being so active in your posts and so interesting.

About myself: I am married, have two children and two dogs. The oldest child is attending school at UC Berkeley and my youngest is a senior in high school. I have a ten year old golden retriever and a two year old lhasapoo. I live in southern California and lived in Minnesota during my junior high and high school years. In earlier times, I was an accountant, (graduated from Cal State University Fullerton, degree in Business Administration) an aide for special education students, and currently I work part time helping a college professor grade papers for a beginning Spanish class. I plan to take a Spanish literature class in the fall. My knowledge of history is limited other than what I learned in high school and general education courses. I thought this forum was a good way to educate myself and I was toying with the idea of taking a history class. Going to school the second time around has been a lot more enjoyable than the first time. No pressure to graduate and get a job!

Juniperus

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Juniperus wrote:

Hello All,

I am enjoying MY EARLY LIFE and also enjoying the book JENNIE (Churchill’s mother). Even more than the book itself, I have enjoyed reading the posts of Bentley, Oldesq and Timbuktu1. Thank you for being so active in your posts and so interesting.

About myself: I am married, have two children and two dogs. The oldest child is attending school at UC Berkeley and my youngest is a senior in high school. I have a ten year old golden retriever and a two year old lhasapoo. I live in southern California and lived in Minnesota during my junior high and high school years. In earlier times, I was an accountant, (graduated from Cal State University Fullerton, degree in Business Administration) an aide for special education students, and currently I work part time helping a college professor grade papers for a beginning Spanish class. I plan to take a Spanish literature class in the fall. My knowledge of history is limited other than what I learned in high school and general education courses. I thought this forum was a good way to educate myself and I was toying with the idea of taking a history class. Going to school the second time around has been a lot more enjoyable than the first time. No pressure to graduate and get a job!

Juniperus

What made you leave accounting? Very interesting moving from Minnesota to Southern Cal (you must love the weather change); good for you for taking a class in the fall; you get to choose the classes you wanted to the first time.

Glad you enjoy the book and us too (lol); thought I would put out the Introductions thread to find out who is out there anyways. Sometimes I think it is just Sherlock and me (smile).

Since I love Churchill, this is really a work of love; I love to decipher what he says and how he says it; that is half the fun. Then hearing from others like yourself as to how you interpreted his actions and his thoughts is the icing on the cake. Interesting hearing everybody's point of view and finding out more about the influencers in his life. When would we have another Churchill again (he was so much an unforgettable and unique person). Welcome Juniperus; so glad to have you reading MY EARLY LIFE.

Bentley
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Deb and I hail from Rochester NY,  the disputed birthplace of Winston Churchill's mother Jennie Jerome. I live with my 2 black labs and I am a case worker with a non-profit orgainization that works w/ people with HIV/AIDS. Most of my freetime is spent reading. When I'm not reading books, I am buying books:smileyhappy:  I heard good things about My Early Life and was intrigued by the connection to my hometown. I am only about 70 pages in, but I am really enjoying it. I had no idea that WSC was such a good writer. I have been enjoying reading the posts on this board and I appreciate all the hard work that must go into being moderators for these threads. Many thanks!
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:
Hi, my name is Deb and I hail from Rochester NY,  the disputed birthplace of Winston Churchill's mother Jennie Jerome. I live with my 2 black labs and I am a case worker with a non-profit orgainization that works w/ people with HIV/AIDS. Most of my freetime is spent reading. When I'm not reading books, I am buying books:smileyhappy:  I heard good things about My Early Life and was intrigued by the connection to my hometown. I am only about 70 pages in, but I am really enjoying it. I had no idea that WSC was such a good writer. I have been enjoying reading the posts on this board and I appreciate all the hard work that must go into being moderators for these threads. Many thanks!

Welcome to you too Deb. Glad to hear that you are enjoying things; and you are doing very well in getting caught up.

Thx for the kind words; I know Oldesq will thank you too.

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Hi. I'm originally from New York, Brooklyn actually, the other disputed birthplace of Jennie Jerome. I have lived in Chicago for 34 years so while I have a Brooklyn accent to Chicagoans I have a mid-west accent to New Yorkers. I have three children ranging in age from 33 to l7. My undergrad degree was in psychology. I went back to school and got a Master's in education and taught elementary school for years. Two years ago I decided it was time to fulfill some of my dreams. One was to read the Great Books so I enrolled in a four year program at the Univeristy of Chicago. It has changed my life. This summer, just for "fun" I decided to take a course on Faulkner. I have never read any Faulkner and it is a daunting task. I find myself looking for distractions. So here I am, devouring My Early Life. I knew basically nothing about Churchill and very little about European history and it's a joy to learn so much from the readings and especially from all of you!
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Timbuktu1 wrote:
Hi. I'm originally from New York, Brooklyn actually, the other disputed birthplace of Jennie Jerome. I have lived in Chicago for 34 years so while I have a Brooklyn accent to Chicagoans I have a mid-west accent to New Yorkers. I have three children ranging in age from 33 to l7. My undergrad degree was in psychology. I went back to school and got a Master's in education and taught elementary school for years. Two years ago I decided it was time to fulfill some of my dreams. One was to read the Great Books so I enrolled in a four year program at the Univeristy of Chicago. It has changed my life. This summer, just for "fun" I decided to take a course on Faulkner. I have never read any Faulkner and it is a daunting task. I find myself looking for distractions. So here I am, devouring My Early Life. I knew basically nothing about Churchill and very little about European history and it's a joy to learn so much from the readings and especially from all of you!

Hi Timbuktu, thank you for posting your intro. Did not know you were from these parts. I can see now why you like the psychology discussions which you are so great at and where you get your incitefulness.

What a great program it sounds like you are in. I wish you the best in it. Faulkner is a challenge. I think having Choisya from England helps and having a small but committed group including Oldesq, you and all of the others as well as some of the new folks like Juniperus and debbook. Glad you are here; we are all gaining so much from your posts.

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
Oldesq
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello all,

I live in northern NJ and commute into NYC.  I have 2 college-age sons and a wonderful and patient spouse.  I was a biology major in undergrad.  We have lived in several different parts of the country.  Many, many years after finishing college- I went to law school and that is my profession now.  Glad we got this thing off the ground although all the credit is owed to Bentley- rather than Bentley being Watson to my Holmes, I think I am his Sancho Panza.

Oldesq

Message Edited by Oldesq on 07-13-2008 06:36 PM
Contributor
Juniperus
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

What made you leave accounting? Very interesting moving from Minnesota to Southern Cal (you must love the weather change); good for you for taking a class in the fall; you get to choose the classes you wanted to the first time.

I quit my job as an accountant to stay home when my son was born. I worked part time as an accountant for a few years, then worked as a special education aide since the hours and holidays coincided with my kids school schedule. And yes, I absolutely love the weather change from Minnesota to California. I grew up in southern California and we moved to Minnesota before I started junior high. After graduating from high school, I pretty much took the first plane back to California. Minnesota is beautiful and I love Minneapolis, but I never learned to like the snow or cold. I do miss the canoe trips that we used to take on the boundry waters of Minnesota and Canada. Those canoe trips were the most enjoyable and relaxing vacations I have ever taken.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Oldesq wrote:
Hello all,

I live in northern NJ and commute into NYC.  I have 2 college-age sons and a wonderful and patient spouse.  I was a biology major in undergrad.  We have lived in several different parts of the country.  Many, many years after finishing college- I went to law school and that is my profession now.  Glad we got this thing off the ground although all the credit is owed to Bentley- rather than Bentley being Watson to my Holmes, I think I am his Sancho Panza.

Oldesq

Message Edited by Oldesq on 07-13-2008 06:36 PM

Well Oldesq you are not that far from me; maybe we should meet for lunch someday at the Gramercy Tavern or Tabla and say hello; or a local starbucks if we get through this endeavor and can toast its completion. Your story is one of great accomplishment too and deciding to do something different when the time was right for you. Bravo to you too.

Where else have you lived and were you originally from these parts, I was not either.

Thank you for your kind words; but I think you have done your part as well; and unless I have missed something the only similarity to Don Quixote that I have is that I have had too little sleep and have been doing too much posting and reading. :smileyhappy:

I know that I haven't promised you a squireship of any island YET so you are safe for now. And I hope we are not "tilting at windmills" trying to make a go of this; but it has been great fun so far and I am enjoying it.

I really do see myself as Watson to your Holmes, or Bernardo to your Zorro or even poor Tonto, loyal to the end to his Kemosabe. So whether you are Holmes, Zorro or the Lone Ranger or even Sancho Panza, I appreciate your role in this and am more than willing to assist.

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
Oldesq
0 Kudos

Bentley,

Yes, when this journey is over we have got to get together and toast ourselves!  We have lived in upstate New York, northern Idaho, Las Vegas, and just outside Philadelphia.  I started out in Indiana, and we moved east as I grew up.  I went to a high school in Westchester county New York, so I usually say I am from NY.  I too have an accent from everywhere and nowhere.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Juniperus wrote:

bentley wrote:

I quit my job as an accountant to stay home when my son was born. I worked part time as an accountant for a few years, then worked as a special education aide since the hours and holidays coincided with my kids school schedule. And yes, I absolutely love the weather change from Minnesota to California. I grew up in southern California and we moved to Minnesota before I started junior high. After graduating from high school, I pretty much took the first plane back to California. Minnesota is beautiful and I love Minneapolis, but I never learned to like the snow or cold. I do miss the canoe trips that we used to take on the boundry waters of Minnesota and Canada. Those canoe trips were the most enjoyable and relaxing vacations I have ever taken.

Hello Juniperus,

Trying to catch up. There are many involved with this discussion that made bold changes in their life when the time was right, and I guess you are one of them. So you were a Californian coming back home to the wonderful sunlight; rather than a Minnesota native moving to California for the first time.

I hope you get back and are able to take some of the wonderful trips you so fondly remember. We are delighted that you are here; do you live near the Redwoods or the giant Sequoias (noticed your icon). If you do, aren't you the fortunate one.

So glad that are with us and I hope you have a positive experience.

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
jplatzer
0 Kudos

Hello all -

I currently live in Connecticut with my beautiful wife and daughter. My daughter is going to be 2 next month and she's the light of my life. My best friend. I grew up in Westchester County, New York and lived in Queens, NY for a short period of time. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business Adminstration w/ specialization in Finance (Summa cum Laude) from Mercy College and I'm 2 classes away from completing an MBA in Finance (with Distinction) from Mercy College as well. I currently work for a fund of hedge funds as an investment analyst. Essentially we manage money for not-for-profit organizations: schools, foundations, healthcare organizations, etc. I love what I do but my first love has always been history. I've contemplated many times over the years going back to school for a history degree. However now with a family, that seems a remote possibility at this point. Maybe when I retire! In any case, I'm thrilled to meet you all and to have the pleasure of discussing this book.
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

jplatzer wrote:
Hello all -

I currently live in Connecticut with my beautiful wife and daughter. My daughter is going to be 2 next month and she's the light of my life. My best friend. I grew up in Westchester County, New York and lived in Queens, NY for a short period of time. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business Adminstration w/ specialization in Finance (Summa cum Laude) from Mercy College and I'm 2 classes away from completing an MBA in Finance (with Distinction) from Mercy College as well. I currently work for a fund of hedge funds as an investment analyst. Essentially we manage money for not-for-profit organizations: schools, foundations, healthcare organizations, etc. I love what I do but my first love has always been history. I've contemplated many times over the years going back to school for a history degree. However now with a family, that seems a remote possibility at this point. Maybe when I retire! In any case, I'm thrilled to meet you all and to have the pleasure of discussing this book.

Welcome and so glad to have you! I'm really looking forward to hearing your take on England's economic policies.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

jplatzer wrote:
Hello all -

Hi Jason,

I second Timbuktu's welcome; we are a lively bunch though small. There are a lot of folks here who started out in one area and then later decided to do something else; so who knows where your love of history may lead you; right now it sounds like you have a real talent in Finance.

It sounds like your job is very interesting and it sounds like you have a much better control of finances than Winston did with his pawned watch.

So glad to have you; thank you for introducing yourself. It is nice to know a little about who is out there.

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Those of you who have not introduced yourself; please do. We would love to know who is out there. The more that are participating even quietly; the more ability we have to keep things going with another selection of our own choice.

Bentley

bentley wrote:
A couple of weeks ago we embarked on trying to make a go of an Ad Hoc History Book Club reading a non fiction book titled MY EARLY LIFE by Winston Churchill. Oldesq graciously accepted being the moderator for this selection and I am Watson to Oldesq's Holmes helping with set up and with supplemental informational support and any ad hoc organization to help make this effort fly.

We wanted a selection that would capture the imagination and the interest of a broad group of people; therefore a small group decided upon this selection (a very small group).

So far we have received participation and support from the following folks who have either posted in one of the threads and/or have indicated that they are reading or have read MY EARLY LIFE or want to read it. They are listed as follows:

Oldesq of course
Bentley
Timbuktu1
Juniperus
Kujo
Va-BBoomer
Juniperus
Everyman
Choisya
Debbook
Jplatzer
Stuart_Finlay

We have also heard from others who just popped in, had some questions etc. We are not sure if they are or any others are reading and participating in some way. The folks who we do know about are:

Historyismypassion
Vagabondher
Peppermill
Salome

Since we never had the tools to set up everything just so; we just made a decision to read the book, set up the parameters, and "just do it". We are at the beginning of this read (two weeks into the process) and we can assure everyone that in the spirit of our hero -- we are never, never, never going to quit; we will finish this book!

What I thought would be nice is for everyone to just post a sentence or two letting us know how you are doing on the book, whether you are as excited about Winston Churchill as I know I am, or anything else you would like to share; if you would just like to tell us you are here and participating that would be nice too; we may be selecting future reads as we have discussed and we will want to make sure that we reach out to you to see what your choices might be.

So I will begin:

I am Bentley, a frequent contributor, live in the Metro New York City area, originally from New England, have a Boston accent (yes it is true); love Maine and visit it often, love England and visit that often too (many friends and relatives there), have a wonderful dog and family (you noticed who I named first - although I adore my family); my beloved GSP, absolutely adore Winston Churchill and have for a long time, love MY EARLY LIFE because it is so approachable and almost unspoiled, love starting at the beginning, love skiing (waterski and Alpine; not so much a Nordic person - like more excitement), love hiking, walking events, and for this selection I feel like the epitome of Watson (Holmes assistant -lol); I try to keep things on topic, on the right thread and keep things moving; glad to meet all of you and look forward to successfully completing this great book from a noble gent who has a wonderful accent too.

All best,

Bentley

Would love to hear from all of you participating even those silently with us.

This is the thread for all introductions related to MY EARLY LIFE and/or the Ad Hoc History Book Club!

Thanks.

Message Edited by bentley on 07-17-2008 04:40 PM
Frequent Contributor
va-BBoomer
0 Kudos

Bentley, you are I are kindred souls; I was born in a Boston hospital and raised just outside New Bedford, MA.  I am told to this day that I still have my accent.  My family 'tree' comes from Maine, and I love to go up there to see long-time friends, though for health reasons haven't been able to make the trip for about 7 years.  I work as an Executive Assistant/Jill-Of-All-Trades for a non-profit in Manhattan, and I live in southern Westchester County.  I've lived in Boston, central Maine, western South Carolina, and in the NY area for 21 years.  I have junior year college credits from 3 colleges I worked at, as tuition was an employee benefit (the only way I could go to school), and majored in English, and was starting a minor in history.  I am a frustrated amateur meteorologist, and would have been very content to have that my primary major, but couldn't hack the math. 

I am enjoying this Churchill read very much, and very much look forward to continuing this wonderful club.  I also dabble in some of the others, where I have seen several of our members there, too. 

Who's planning on War & Peace and the Sawtelle book for August?

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

va-BBoomer wrote:

Bentley, you are I are kindred souls; I was born in a Boston hospital and raised just outside New Bedford, MA.  I am told to this day that I still have my accent.  My family 'tree' comes from Maine, and I love to go up there to see long-time friends, though for health reasons haven't been able to make the trip for about 7 years.  I work as an Executive Assistant/Jill-Of-All-Trades for a non-profit in Manhattan, and I live in southern Westchester County.  I've lived in Boston, central Maine, western South Carolina, and in the NY area for 21 years.  I have junior year college credits from 3 colleges I worked at, as tuition was an employee benefit (the only way I could go to school), and majored in English, and was starting a minor in history.  I am a frustrated amateur meteorologist, and would have been very content to have that my primary major, but couldn't hack the math. 

I am enjoying this Churchill read very much, and very much look forward to continuing this wonderful club.  I also dabble in some of the others, where I have seen several of our members there, too. 

Who's planning on War & Peace and the Sawtelle book for August?

Bentley responds:
Glad to have such a kindred spirit with us.  I have really enjoyed Churchill too.  I am glad that you are enjoying the read and we are happy to have you with us.   Maine is a great place and I too wish that I could spend a lot of time there.  You have a very interesting background va-BBoomer and have lived all over too. 
 Bentley