Frequent Contributor
Fan4SFGiants
0 Kudos

My Favorite History Books

Lies My Teacher Told Me-Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong

In Lies My Teacher Told Me,Professor James W.Loewen explains the facts that your high school American History textbook was incorrect about. Loewen explains that while most high school American History textbooks say that the "New World" was founded in New York,if it were not for Squanto in Massachusetts,there would be no such holiday as Thanksgiving.  Lies My Teacher Told Me explains that the pilgrims originally planned to sail for Virginia,but they ended up in Massachusetts. Lies My Teacher Told Me has been given great reviews by The Washington Post Book World,The San Francisco Chronicle,USA Today and The New York Times,I highly recommend reading it.

The Handy History Answer Book,by Rebecca Ferguson:The Handy History Book answers common questions about all kinds of history,but with an emphasis on American History. A must read for everyone who's taken World and American History in high school.

Ideas:A History Of Thought And Invention,From Fire To Freud,by Peter Watson

In Ideas,A History Of Thought and Invention,From Fire To Freud,Peter Watson brilliantly explains about how everything in the world,such as sound,language and other things we use everyday get us where we are and who made these things possible.

U.S. History For Dummies,by Steve Wiegard

A good,basic book on American History,but not as accurate as The Handy History Answer Book.

The Complete Idiot's Guide To American History,by Alan Axelrod,PhD

Another good,basic book on American History,but still not as accurate as The Handy History Answer Book.

Reading For Pleasure

LTsypkin
Inspired Contributor
gegarland

Re: My Favorite History Books

Fan4SFGiants wrote:

Lies My Teacher Told Me-Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong

In Lies My Teacher Told Me,Professor James W.Loewen explains the facts that your high school American History textbook was incorrect about. Loewen explains that while most high school American History textbooks say that the "New World" was founded in New York,

Not when I went to school. The "New World" always meant both North and South America.  

if it were not for Squanto in Massachusetts,there would be no such holiday as Thanksgiving.  Lies My Teacher Told Me explains that the pilgrims originally planned to sail for Virginia,but they ended up in Massachusetts.

Not a great recommendation if it can't get even these basic facts correct. The pilgrims set out from _Holland_ and were originally aiming to settle in the New Amsterdam area. The puritans who came from England and settled at Boston specificly came under the rubrik of the Massachusetts Bay colony charter.

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force