Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

So, will April be devoted to Franklin, then?

I was skimming this board, and taking note of the voting on this month's book (if I'd have known about it, I'd have suggested Team of Rivals, since it's also about Lincoln and I already have it, but I've only recently recovered from a bout of bronchitis -- aka "the crud" -- that I've been fighting off and on since Thanksgiving).  It appears, from some of the posts, that Ben Franklin might've been the runner-up.  Perhaps you could devote the entire month of April to Franklin -- or not.  Just a thought.

Redcatlady 

Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

Re: So, will April be devoted to Franklin, then?

Hi, Redcatlady. I swore I mashed the SUBMIT POST button on a reply to this days ago, but it's entirely possible I missed the button and then later closed the tab without making sure the post went through.

Redcatlady wrote:

I was skimming this board, and taking note of the voting on this month's book (if I'd have known about it, I'd have suggested Team of Rivals, since it's also about Lincoln and I already have it

I'd actually thought about this, but the problem is you already have it and so does everyone else. :smileyhappy: It seems as if the only book everyone has read about Lincoln (or read about Lincoln recently) is Team of Rivals, so treading over the same ground seemed like it would be a turnoff for many.

It appears, from some of the posts, that Ben Franklin might've been the runner-up.  Perhaps you could devote the entire month of April to Franklin -- or not.  Just a thought.

Redcatlady 

April actually does to go Franklin, but unfortunately it's Roosevelt, which will tie in with some of the reading for Current Events as well. And I think we already tracked down a book for May that nicely covers some other nominations people made, via a kind of a two-fer. But if you can drum up some fellow readers for Franklin for June, I certainly have no problem reading about Ben again. The problem before was that Franklin, like many other subjects/people had only one nomination, leaving something like a six-way tie. I'd still really like to pick topics where, going in, we have a whole group of people committed to getting and reading (and posting about!) the book.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: So, will June be devoted to Franklin, then?

But if you can drum up some fellow readers for Franklin for June, I certainly have no problem reading about Ben again.

I will second Redcatlady's nomination for a book on Franklin (Benjamin:smileyhappy:).  I find him the most interesting of your Presidents because of his connections to both France and England. 

L_Monty wrote:
Hi, Redcatlady. I swore I mashed the SUBMIT POST button on a reply to this days ago, but it's entirely possible I missed the button and then later closed the tab without making sure the post went through.

Redcatlady wrote:

I was skimming this board, and taking note of the voting on this month's book (if I'd have known about it, I'd have suggested Team of Rivals, since it's also about Lincoln and I already have it

I'd actually thought about this, but the problem is you already have it and so does everyone else. :smileyhappy: It seems as if the only book everyone has read about Lincoln (or read about Lincoln recently) is Team of Rivals, so treading over the same ground seemed like it would be a turnoff for many.

It appears, from some of the posts, that Ben Franklin might've been the runner-up.  Perhaps you could devote the entire month of April to Franklin -- or not.  Just a thought.

Redcatlady 

April actually does to go Franklin, but unfortunately it's Roosevelt, which will tie in with some of the reading for Current Events as well. And I think we already tracked down a book for May that nicely covers some other nominations people made, via a kind of a two-fer. But if you can drum up some fellow readers for Franklin for June, I certainly have no problem reading about Ben again. The problem before was that Franklin, like many other subjects/people had only one nomination, leaving something like a six-way tie. I'd still really like to pick topics where, going in, we have a whole group of people committed to getting and reading (and posting about!) the book.

Frequent Contributor
Historyismypassion
0 Kudos

I would be interested in reading about Benjamin Franklin.  May I suggest The Completed Autobiography by Benjamin Franklin written by Mark Skousen.  I saw it at Barnes and Noble and bought it.  It is on my 'to read' list and I would enjoy reading it now.  Sorry I haven't been around but the classes I take for work can monopolize my free time.  This is just a suggestion.

Historyismypassion

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

Here's a link to the Compleated [sic] autobiogaphy. 

Compleated Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin 

However, why not read the original?  I admit that I'm always dubious when modern writers try to pretend they're writing as though they were an older writer.  I prefer the original writers.

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (Barnes & Noble Edition)  

Historyismypassion wrote:

I would be interested in reading about Benjamin Franklin.  May I suggest The Completed Autobiography by Benjamin Franklin written by Mark Skousen.  I saw it at Barnes and Noble and bought it.  It is on my 'to read' list and I would enjoy reading it now.  Sorry I haven't been around but the classes I take for work can monopolize my free time.  This is just a suggestion.

Historyismypassion

0 Kudos

I have just thought about another Ben Franklin book.  It is Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Issacson.  I enjoy his books and wouldn't mind reading this particular author's take on Benjamin Franklin.  Actually I would probably prefer to read this book anyway since I haven't read it.  Also, it's in paperback.  Have a good day! 

Historyismypassion

Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

Keep it up, everybody!  Offer Franklin suggestions, then we can narrow it down before June.

Redcatlady 

New User
NikkiO
0 Kudos

If it was it should have said to read John Bigelow...He was an amazing author and more - from wiki on Bigelow: Abraham Lincoln appointed him Consul at Paris in 1861, progressing to Chargé d'Affaires, Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to the Court of Napoleon III. In 1865, he became Minister to France and helped block the Confederacy's efforts to acquire ships in Europe. He published The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, and "The Life of Samuel J. Tilden" 1895 and assisted "Samuel Tilden" to expose the graft of the Tweed administration in New York City. After three years living in Germany, he returned to New York, where he was elected Secretary of State. He was instrumental as one of Tilden's Estate Trust Executors, it took Bigelow several years to carry out Tilden's wishes to the development of the New York Public Library. He was also a staunch proponent of the development of the Panama Canal. He was a friend of Philippe Bunau Varilla, who brought Panama's declaration of Independence to Bigelow's home: Panama's first proposed flag was made there by Mrs. Bunau Varilla, but was rejected by the Panamanians, who made their own.
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

I have just thought about another Ben Franklin book.  It is Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Issacson.  I enjoy his books and wouldn't mind reading this particular author's take on Benjamin Franklin.  Actually I would probably prefer to read this book anyway since I haven't read it.  Also, it's in paperback.  Have a good day! 

Historyismypassion

I have read this one,  it is very good.  Issacson does a good job with his research.

MG

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Another good one is The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin by Gordon Wood.

MG

Frequent Contributor
Historyismypassion
0 Kudos

I would be willing to read The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin if it is chosen.  By the way, what month will we be reading about Benjamin Franklin?  Does anyone know?  Let's choose a summer month to read about him since most of the Franklin books are thick.  Besides he would be a good conversation piece if you are on vacation.  Also allows more time for some of us to read and absorb the book.  Can we at least begin the nomination process?

Historyismypassion

Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

I would be willing to read The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin if it is chosen.  By the way, what month will we be reading about Benjamin Franklin?  Does anyone know?  Let's choose a summer month to read about him since most of the Franklin books are thick.  Besides he would be a good conversation piece if you are on vacation.  Also allows more time for some of us to read and absorb the book.  Can we at least begin the nomination process?

Historyismypassion

Originally, I'd suggested a tentative date of April, which then got pushed back to June.  Either June or July would be good with me.  A Great Improvisation by Stacy Schiff and Joyce E. Chaplin's The First Scientific American are the books currently in my possession.  I guess those of us who are interested in pursuing this should take a poll on which book(s) to do.

Redcatlady

Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

Redcatlady wrote:
Originally, I'd suggested a tentative date of April, which then got pushed back to June.  Either June or July would be good with me.  A Great Improvisation by Stacy Schiff and Joyce E. Chaplin's The First Scientific American are the books currently in my possession.  I guess those of us who are interested in pursuing this should take a poll on which book(s) to do.

Redcatlady, I went over the book options with Jon, and since people have been having difficulty in the past getting a copy (either via library or purchase) and because I know many of our lurkers have more general interests, we thought we'd go with Isaacson's Franklin. (I'll try to get Jon to change all the listed books tomorrow.) It's a popular book (I know one poster nominated it in one of these threads, and another gave a thumbs up in PM), which makes it really easy for people to get, and it's written in a light style, which makes it really easy to get into. I have not read it, and I know there are some quibbles with Isaacson's scholarship, so would you be interested in posting more in the way of historiographical critiques of Isaacson? If you've been reading other books about Franklin recently, I'm happy to defer to your expertise, and you can take this topic and run with it if you have some ideas you'd like to get out there.
Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

L_Monty wrote:

Redcatlady wrote:
Originally, I'd suggested a tentative date of April, which then got pushed back to June. Either June or July would be good with me. A Great Improvisation by Stacy Schiff and Joyce E. Chaplin's The First Scientific American are the books currently in my possession. I guess those of us who are interested in pursuing this should take a poll on which book(s) to do.

Redcatlady, I went over the book options with Jon, and since people have been having difficulty in the past getting a copy (either via library or purchase) and because I know many of our lurkers have more general interests, we thought we'd go with Isaacson's Franklin. (I'll try to get Jon to change all the listed books tomorrow.) It's a popular book (I know one poster nominated it in one of these threads, and another gave a thumbs up in PM), which makes it really easy for people to get, and it's written in a light style, which makes it really easy to get into. I have not read it, and I know there are some quibbles with Isaacson's scholarship, so would you be interested in posting more in the way of historiographical critiques of Isaacson? If you've been reading other books about Franklin recently, I'm happy to defer to your expertise, and you can take this topic and run with it if you have some ideas you'd like to get out there.

That'd be okay, as long as I can post what some of the other books say -- an excellent way to get discussion/debate going.

Redcatlady

Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

Redcatlady wrote:
That'd be okay, as long as I can post what some of the other books say -- an excellent way to get discussion/debate going.

Redcatlady

Yes, please do! That's exactly what I was getting at.

The trouble with history discussion in a book-of-the-month is that the best discussions tend to arise from reading multiple books on one topic and exploring the discrepancy between the author's interpretation. Unfortunately, by reading only one book at a time on topics that change every month, we don't build up a knowledge of the historiography of an issue to really sink into that stuff. In looking at only one book, for the most part, we resort to really only arguing "what happened," instead of "how we interpret what happened." So, really, any poster who has any familiarity with a topic outside the bounds of the current book is an invaluable resource and is always welcome to drag in outside sources and quotations. That immediately expands discussion for everyone without making people (who already likely have limited free time) try to read multiple books on a topic to see what the general interpretive sticking points are.

Anyway, in case that's too roundabout, post away! Post at will!