Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
jajance
0 Kudos

A Note from J.A. Jance

In the past few years I’ve been fascinated to see how DNA analysis, a powerful crime fighting tool, has solved countless long closed cases . The routine collection of DNA samples from incarcerated violent offenders has linked previously unknown perpetrators to unsolved rapes and murders. People who once thought they’d get away with murder are now being brought to justice instead. In the world of Missing Persons, DNA has helped close more insoluble cases by matching those files to previously unidentifiable remains, and identifying the victim is often the first step in identifying the killer.

But this is the story of DNA analysis gone bad, where it’s being used to pervert the justice system rather than promote it. When the legally mandated checks and balances of crime lab protocols are taken out of play, this crime fighting tool can morph into a weapon. This is the story of how seemingly well intentioned people can come off the rails; how rallying to what is, on the surface, a laudable cause can drag people into a kind of lawless vigilantism.

When that happens, Washington State Attorney General, Ross Connors, turns to his elite squad, the Special Homicide Investigation Team (S.H.I.T.) to look for answers. Faced with what could be a public relations nightmare, Connors turns to one of his most trusted investigators, a crusty old technophobe named J.P. Beaumont. Lovable and human both, Justice Denied has Beau off the races in his 18th outing.
New User
iris17
0 Kudos

Re: A Note from J.A. Jance

I just finished Justice Denied. Like the other "J.P." books, I could not put it down. Having read the earlier series, I thought the relationship between Beau and his grandmother was more loving, but his reaction to her death seemed a little unemotional. Did I miss something?
Contributor
Kris11
0 Kudos

I have just finished Justice Denied and I loved it!! I am sorry to say that this is my first J.A. Jance book, but it will not be my last. I love Beau and Mel! Thank you for giving your gift of writing to those of us who love to read. Kris
Author
jajance
0 Kudos

I'm thrilled to know this is the first book by me you've read. I'm always delighted to find new readers. People tell me that reading my books is like eating Fritos--you don't read just one. I hope that holds true for you
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Welcome to J.A. Jance

J. A.,

I'd like to say, first off, it's a pleasure to have you here. I always welcome having the author here to discuss their books - getting personal perspectives along the way is so great.

I'm enjoying your novel, and I'm only a third of the way through. I'm not familiar with your characters, as, I'm sure, many of your readers are. With that said, I'm going in cold turkey, no history to this 'family', but finding your descriptions excellent. Not leaving me with the feeling as though I don't 'know' them.

Thanks for being here with us.

Kathy S.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to J.A. Jance

Hello; like KathyS, I have never read any of your books either. But the title kind of screamed out at me since I am getting in more mystery reading than I have in the past. I saw it on the line for coming soon and checked it out. And it is totally super reading. It definitely keeps you going,going, going until the end.
And I agree with your term "Can't eat just one for fritos (always thought that was Lays pototo chips but they do make fritos also. Because I will certainly read some more of your exciting books. I am Linda from Central Va, glad you mentioned our location in your book. That was exciting.
Author
jajance
0 Kudos

Beau's a guy. He does the best he can.
Author
jajance
0 Kudos

That's part of the tightrope walk that comes with writing a series. Each book needs to be complete enough that new readers don't feel lost while at the same time not providing so much information from previous books that new readers won't be interested in going back to those. On the other hand, putting in too much of the "old stuff" will bore long-term readers. In other words, it's a very fine line.
Author
jajance
0 Kudos

I've always thought it was Fritos. The bad news for you? All 36 of my books are still in print and available.
Author
jajance
0 Kudos

Kris11 wrote:
I have just finished Justice Denied and I loved it!! I am sorry to say that this is my first J.A. Jance book, but it will not be my last. I love Beau and Mel! Thank you for giving your gift of writing to those of us who love to read. Kris

Thank you for you kind words. Again, thank you for being a new reader. And now maybe, I've figured out that I need to include the comment in my reply. I think I'm dealing with a learning curve here.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

J.A.,

Thirty-six books of yours, all in print is good news for all of us! I just wish there were more hours in the day.
Stephanie
Contributor
Kris11
0 Kudos

Me too! 36?? yipeeeeeee! I am so happy I found a new author. And I'm thrilled that you really answer these!! :0) I feel so special! So, are you in favor of me reading them in order?
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kris,

I always read in order when I can- but if you can't, these books do stand alone well.
Stephanie
Author
jajance
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
J.A.,

Thirty-six books of yours, all in print is good news for all of us! I just wish there were more hours in the day.

Yes, as they say. So many books; so little time.
Author
jajance
0 Kudos

Kris11 wrote:
Me too! 36?? yipeeeeeee! I am so happy I found a new author. And I'm thrilled that you really answer these!! :0) I feel so special! So, are you in favor of me reading them in order?

No, you don't have to read them in order. In fact, you can't read them in order, since you already read the last one first, but you may want to go back to the beginning. Since they're all in print in paperback format, that shouldn't be too difficult to do. And you'll find the books listed in order at the front of Justice Denied.
Frequent Contributor
LeftBrainer
0 Kudos

I've read a few of your books and always enjoyed them. I'm looking forward to Justice Denied. It should be delived today, I'll be joining the conversation after I start reading. Nancy
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Nancy,

Glad you joined here. It must be tough not to read the posts while you're waiting for your book!
Stephanie
Contributor
readerbynight
0 Kudos

jajance wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
J.A.,

Yes, as they say. So many books; so little time.

I did actually write a review of this book (which I won't take up space doing here). I had read only one other of your books and that only about 2 weeks earlier, so I wasn't greatly familiar with the "family". The prologue is essential to the story. What I particularly enjoyed was the attention to detail and aquainting myself with the characters, You have a very descriptive style. A lot of the story is written through dialogue, which I found interesting and more personal, allowing me to view the thought processes and workings involved in solving the crime. I like the fact that very up-to-date methods are employed. Even though I was not that familiar with the series it was not difficult to get to know the characters. One thing I always look for in a mystery is to learn something different and this book does not disappoint. J.A. Jance, you have made a convert out of me & I will soon be stocking up on your previous books! Thanks for making my day!
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I have read every one of your books, and I'd just like to thank you for entertaining me for so many hours.

I really like how you add new series and main characters periodically.
Author
jajance
0 Kudos

Tarri wrote:
I have read every one of your books, and I'd just like to thank you for entertaining me for so many hours.

I really like how you add new series and main characters periodically.

Thank you. In terms or creativity, it's helpful to be able to write about more than one character. Otherwise it's easy to tire of them. I understand Agatha Christie was quite provoked with Hercule Poirot before she finished with him.
Users Online
Currently online: 59 members 640 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: