Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Ending Chapters Discussion: Justice

How is the idea of vigilante justice carried out in this book? Do you think it is ever appropriate for someone to take the law into their own hands?

This thread is appropriate for those who have read the entire book. Please be forewarned, there will be spoilers in this thread.
Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Ending Chapters Discussion: Justice

Stephanie wrote:
How is the idea of vigilante justice carried out in this book? Do you think it is ever appropriate for someone to take the law into their own hands?

This thread is appropriate for those who have read the entire book. Please be forewarned, there will be spoilers in this thread.

Now is it carried out? A lot of characters involved in this tale of vengeance. All spurned from a daughter's wrath turned towards her father. Justified wrath, but gone askew.

Appropriate? The human instinct would be to say yes, retaliate, revenge....but not the rational side of thinking.....I would have to say no.

I was going to get biblical on you, but I changed my mind.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

An eye for an eye?

I'm not sure how I feel about vigilante justice. I do know that when the people unite in neighborhoods and say No More to drug dealers and local criminals, they leave. Not immediately, and not always peacefully. Lawlessness is another issue entirely- there is no room for that in my thinking.

The vengeance in this story was lawless, and as you said, the wrath misplaced. I didn't agree with it- I found it distasteful and wrong. I had figured out some of it, but not all.
Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
An eye for an eye?

I'm not sure how I feel about vigilante justice. I do know that when the people unite in neighborhoods and say No More to drug dealers and local criminals, they leave. Not immediately, and not always peacefully. Lawlessness is another issue entirely- there is no room for that in my thinking.

The vengeance in this story was lawless, and as you said, the wrath misplaced. I didn't agree with it- I found it distasteful and wrong. I had figured out some of it, but not all.

Vigilante justice is reminiscent of the *wild* west....But, in this day and age, it's lawless. Yes, agreed on your summation.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
An eye for an eye?

Yes, the vigilante can get whey out of hand!. That person can get masterful in his or her mind and believe they are God. With the neighborhood drug thing, its quite different, its just getting the job done, helping someone else but for revenge of someone who did something to someone else, it gets out of hand quick. We are not God and we shouldnt ever put ourselves in a position of judgment and punishment on someone else. With drug dealers, its more persistance of origanization, and not really taking punishment in your own hand.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Linda,

Good distinctions- I like the idea of moms in a neighborhood taking control and kicking out the criminal element. On the other hand, there are people who ride the subways in NY to keep people safe- that's vigilantism also, but again, to protect others. The revenge aspect is where your God-complex seems to fall into the equation. Perhaps the intentions start out good, but there's a road downhill paved with those, isn't there? :smileywink:
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 706 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: