Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbit Movie

Well I've got sneak passes for Hellboy 2 tonight. I'll report back how bad or good De Torro job is.
----------------------------------------------------
WOW what a cheese fest! And they actually gave Del Torro a cowriter cred.(sigh)
If I see one more monster with eyes in the palms of the hands... (shudder)

Guys, it was a fun movie. But Del Torro cheapened, and cheesed what could have been wonderful.

I really dread what his influence will be on the Hobbit flicks.
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

I haven't seen it and I read somewhere that her re-used some of the monsters from Pan's Laberynth in this one. Talk abot lack of originality. I hope Peter jackson keeps him on a leash for The Hobbit. Who knows this might be the film that redeems him. Then again, there is that second made up movie.... I might lose hope in Peter also.
On a wing and a prayer.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

He didn't reuse monsters, but well... all of his monsters look very much similar. Eyeballs in the palms, heads that look like they were cut out of gingerbread, and hair that looks like it doesn't belong.

I sincerely and profoundly hope he has 0% influence in the special effects department.
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

If I see a goblin with eyes in its hands ill be so angry! Peter keep him on a leash please! Better yet you direct.
On a wing and a prayer.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Defiantly!

And about the hair, didn't any one ever tell Del Torro that if the hair looks at all off, it throws all holded belief out the window. Bad hair makes the whole monster look fake. Even Henson knew that, watch "Dark Crystal" good monster hair on even the smallest critter.
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

Yes I have fond memories of  "The Dark Crystal". So against sage advice from TiggerBear I went and saw Hellboy 2. Now i mean is Del Toro practicing to film The Hobbit.? I mean elves, trolls and goblins?  Id had its moments but it lost me halfway through the film.
On a wing and a prayer.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Now i mean is Del Toro practicing to film The Hobbit.? I mean elves, trolls and goblins?
---------------------------------------------
Ah good point! I'd have to see a script break down to see exactly where Del Torro messed with Mingola's writing. Mingola has used trolls before in his comics. But needless to say his own were a lot different.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Alright I went and dug up an animated bit Mingola did for the movie, what turned into the first five mins of Hellboy 2. Del Torro's translation of his elves is poor, only thing kept was that line across the cheek nose ridge. Totally messed up the ogres and trolls, but surprisingly that's dead on for Mingola's goblins.
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

O.K. - Well, I haven't seen the movie [ "Hellboy 2" ] yet - it appears to be getting mostly "very good" reviews...        The reviewer   in the "San Francisco Chronicle" seemed to think that Del Toro was really

"camping it up" ( on purpose ) with all those cheezy monsters - said something about how Del Toro

"appears not to believe in 21st Century CGI special effects" - and was just messing around and having way too much fun reaching into the "collective imagination" ( my words ) to come up with  this endless array of silly monsters... The reviewer seemed to feel this worked fine for the "Hellboy" movie - but, at the same time, mentioned something  about how the movie did become "subjucated to the director's personal vision"...

Ardo

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I've said this before, so please bear with me. DO NOT BURN HARD CORE FANS! Slappping your garenteed sales in the face is total arogance. Del Toro if he thought the material was worth only a slap dash aproach was being a prick.
Users Online
Currently online:121 members 665 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: