Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
niki
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbit: Movie

One thing I noticed about the movie is that it truly centered on Hobbits. They began and ended it and were the focus of the story. It was actually a tale of four remarkable hobbits and they were in the end each treated equally.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Hobbit Movie

[ Edited ]
I have swapped by chimp icon, who was my daemon from His Dark Materials, for my Lady Éowyn icon.

If you are tracking the progress of the new Peter Jackson Hobbit movies, you might find this information useful.

This link is to what looks like the best and most current information on it:

http://www.kristinthompson.net/blog/?p=159

And here is an excerpt where they talk about the possible form of the sequel, Hobbit-II:

What the Sequel Might Look Like

MGM’s original idea seems to have been to make The Hobbit in two parts. That would make sense. Of course, Tolkien’s first novel is shorter than Rings, but a lot had to be left out of the trilogy in the adaptation. The Hobbit breaks into two almost equal halves, with the break coming where Gandalf leaves Bilbo and the Dwarves at the edge of Mirkwood. Making two three-hour parts would allow the filmmakers to adapt the book without eliminating much of anything. Despite its quest/journey structure, The Hobbit is actually quite carefully structured, and there are no incidents that can simply be eliminated as easily as, say, the Tom Bombadil portion of Rings.

Still, the announcement is for a one-film adaptation and a sequel that takes place before the action of Rings. That’s a gap of sixty years, years about which Tolkien left only the sketchiest of indications. Such events as we know of come primarily from mentions in Appendices A and B and in exposition given by Gandalf in the “Shadow of the Past” chapter in Rings and by various characters at the Council of Elrond. On TORN, Corvar has helpfully summarized what those events are:

* The White Council meets to discuss The Necromancer (aka Sauron)
* The White Council (including Saruman and Gandalf) attack The Necromancer’s stronghold at Dol Guldur. This is to prevent Sauron from searching the river for the Ring. Sauron abandons Dol Guldur and takes up residence in Mordor.
* Gollum leaves the mountain, searching for the “thief” Baggins.
* Sauron declared himself openly, starting to gather power to Mordor.
* Aragorn searches the wilds for Gollum.
* Aragorn’s engagement to Arwen.
* Frodo’s birth.

In a way that’s quite a lot of material, though it would be hard to weave it into a unified narrative with a beginning, middle, and end. Moreover, the first two actions take place during the plot of The Hobbit itself, though we learn of them only through vague references.

Message Edited by Nadine on 12-31-2007 02:38 PM

Message Edited by Nadine on 12-31-2007 02:46 PM
Frequent Contributor
niki
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbit

It sure is getting hard to find all the thread pieces that go with LOTR when they are mixed in with all the other SF stuff on this board. In fact, at first I thought there was a lengthy thread on why everyone hated the LOTR but it didn't have anything to do with it. Does anyone know how to stick these together somehow?
Frequent Contributor
niki
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbit Movie

If you are following the progress of the new movie, here is a blog site I found that is devoted to it:

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/?p=41
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Hobbits: Prologue to the Lord of the Rings

I started reading the "Prologue" to the Lord of the Rings as part of our preliminary study of The Hobbit. Actually, I've only read Tolkien's "Forward to the Second Edition" where he covers his process of creating the series. How he had started the LOTR before the Hobbit was published but how it took him a long time to finish it with all his detours, starts, and stops.

I noticed an interesting parallel between the two books, at least in the naming of the first chapter so far. The Hobbit begins with the "Unexpected Party" and the LOTR begins with the "Long Awaited Party." Then it struck me that this might have been a private joke on Tolkien's part. And that he was really saying of The Hobbit--the unexpected "book" and of the LOTR--the long awaited "book"! It seemed to be a reflection of what he was saying in his forward!

I'm not sure how we are supposed to proceed with this preliminary read. But I will read the suggested text and give my impressions, until someone steps in and gives some direction. Looks like everyone is still on vacation. All the boards are pretty quiet.

Pre-Hobbit - January

The Man and His Work: Introduction to the Annotated Hobbit.
The Quest of Erebor: In Appendix A of the Annotated Hobbit.
Appendix III: Durin's Folk: In Appendix A of Return of the King
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Cartoon Hobbit Movie

Cartoon Hobbit Movie

I watched the cartoon Hobbit film last night. It was cute. They had to cut a lot of the story as it was only a little over an hour. The story was told mainly in song, poetry and music. I don't know if all or just some of the verses were Tolkien's. They had the voices done by some very well-known stars but they didn't say which voices went to which characters. Gandalf appeared more menacing than I would have imagined him to be. Bilbo was quite the innovative hero. I don't remember if this was the way he was in the book since I read it only once a long time ago. It was light entertainment but I'm hoping for something better soon. In the mean time, it is the only show in town.
Frequent Contributor
niki
0 Kudos

The Soddit

The Soddit
A little humor on the Hobbits while we are are waiting for the discussions to get started:

At B&N
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=BROWSE&EAN=9780575075...

An analysis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soddit
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbits: Prologue to the Lord of the Rings

lorien wrote:
I started reading the "Prologue" to the Lord of the Rings as part of our preliminary study of The Hobbit. Actually, I've only read Tolkien's "Forward to the Second Edition" where he covers his process of creating the series. How he had started the LOTR before the Hobbit was published but how it took him a long time to finish it with all his detours, starts, and stops.

I noticed an interesting parallel between the two books, at least in the naming of the first chapter so far. The Hobbit begins with the "Unexpected Party" and the LOTR begins with the "Long Awaited Party." Then it struck me that this might have been a private joke on Tolkien's part. And that he was really saying of The Hobbit--the unexpected "book" and of the LOTR--the long awaited "book"! It seemed to be a reflection of what he was saying in his forward!

I'm not sure how we are supposed to proceed with this preliminary read. But I will read the suggested text and give my impressions, until someone steps in and gives some direction. Looks like everyone is still on vacation. All the boards are pretty quiet.

Pre-Hobbit - January

The Man and His Work: Introduction to the Annotated Hobbit.
The Quest of Erebor: In Appendix A of the Annotated Hobbit.

Looks good to me. I'll be back with some comments as soon as I get organized.

Bucky
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbits: Dwarves

I posted something on dwarves in another thread but I thought this bit of information was more appropriate in this group. Snorri Sturluson's Prose Edda was probably the inspiration for the Tolkien's dwarves.

"Here are a number of familiar names in the Edda's List of Dwarves, with some slight spelling modifications: Thorin (Oakenshield), Kili, Fili, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin, Dori, Ori, Norit Bifur, Bofur and Bombur, not to mention Gandalf himself."

Myth & Middle-earth, by leslie Ellen Jones
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbit: Hobbit Name

lorien wrote:
I don't like mine much! Imagine going around with a name like Myrtle Sandybanks of Frogmorton!

niki wrote:

niki wrote:

BarbaraN wrote:
This is neat. Find out what your own hobbit name is:

http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/

Mine is Bramblerose Goldworthy of Michel Delving.

I looked mine up and I'm Lily Knotwise of Michel Delving. Hey we are neighbors! But then the Shire isn't all that big.

And now I know where it is. It is between West Farthing and West March. Here is a Shire map:

http://www.shirepost.com/ShireMap.html

You think yours is bad! I got Dimple Bumbleroot. I'm not even "from" anywhere!
Nadine
0 Kudos

niki wrote:
One thing I noticed about the movie is that it truly centered on Hobbits. They began and ended it and were the focus of the story. It was actually a tale of four remarkable hobbits and they were in the end each treated equally.

I think this is in reference to the LOTR movie. I believed Tolkien identified with the Hobbits. They were his people, a simple people, who lived in the country close to nature. They enjoyed a comfortable life with good nature. They like, Tolkien, shunned the "progress" of the industrial revolution that was threatening to destroy their peaceful existence.
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbits

Although I consider The Hobbit a totally different book than LOTR, it is none-the-less grounded in the Hobbits, and in this case Bilbo. Time and again, Tolkien emphasizes the fact that there is more to Bilbo than meets the eye, more than even he realizes. I wonder a bit if this little "adventure" that Gandalf sends Bilbo on was to test the fortitude of hobbits that became so important and crucial in LOTR. Bilbo is leading a comfortable life in his cozy little Hobbit Hole but then is singled out by Gandalf and forced into situations where he must show his inner sources of strength. During this adventure he grows and shows true leadership, courage, innovation, analytical ability and decision-making capabilities. Gandalf deserts the band of Bilbo and dwarves at crucial times to let them "naturally" work things out for themselves.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

BarbaraN wrote:
I have moved the Quest of Erebor out as its own thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=fsf&thread.id=961&jump=true

Reading the Quest of Erebor, I realize that by adding this as a preface, "The Hobbit" itself could easily be retitled "The Quest of Erebor." I bring this up here because there have been some references that have bewildered me a bit but, as I gather, is common to Tolkien's stories. That is his constant revisions and expansions on the original material.

When I watched the Cartoon version of The Hobbit, it stated in the opening credits that it was based on the First Version. Though I haven't read The Hobbit recently, except for some obvious movie-type deletions, it seemed like the regular old The Hobbit to me. Is there another version of The Hobbit around? I would think the popular one would reflect Tolkien's final thoughts on the subject. If there are different versions, then which am I reading when I start reading The Hobbit and what are the differences?

Maybe this is something we will have to discuss when we get into our reading of The Hobbit. If there are just a few minor updating to some chapters, that is no problem. That will be fully explained in our Annotated Hobbit. But if it is a whole other story, I might like to get it and read it. It is nice to have all your pieces available before the discussions start.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Just making sure everyone sees the news...

Click here for an update on the Tolkien discussion.
Frequent Contributor
Fanuidhol
0 Kudos

lorien wrote:

BarbaraN wrote:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=fsf&thread.id=961&jump=true

Reading the Quest of Erebor, I realize that by adding this as a preface, "The Hobbit" itself could easily be retitled "The Quest of Erebor." I bring this up here because there have been some references that have bewildered me a bit but, as I gather, is common to Tolkien's stories. That is his constant revisions and expansions on the original material.

When I watched the Cartoon version of The Hobbit, it stated in the opening credits that it was based on the First Version. Though I haven't read The Hobbit recently, except for some obvious movie-type deletions, it seemed like the regular old The Hobbit to me. Is there another version of The Hobbit around? I would think the popular one would reflect Tolkien's final thoughts on the subject. If there are different versions, then which am I reading when I start reading The Hobbit and what are the differences?

Maybe this is something we will have to discuss when we get into our reading of The Hobbit. If there are just a few minor updating to some chapters, that is no problem. That will be fully explained in our Annotated Hobbit. But if it is a whole other story, I might like to get it and read it. It is nice to have all your pieces available before the discussions start.

As we get into The Annotated Hobbit we will read the published changes Tolkien made to the story of The Hobbit. Most of them are minor, however the changes to chapter 5 are very significant. When Tolkien first published The Hobbit in 1937, Gollum's ring was not The Ring. After LotR though, Tolkien had to re-work chapter 5 to get it in line with the significance that The Ring has to the bearer.
Once we read chapter 5 in the Hobbit and then start LotR, I bet you'll have an a-ha moment for Tolkien's ingenious solution on the problem of having two versions of The Hobbit.
As for The Quest of Erebor, Unfinished Tales has some of the earlier drafts.
Fan
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Fanuidhol wrote:

lorien wrote:

BarbaraN wrote:

As we get into The Annotated Hobbit we will read the published changes Tolkien made to the story of The Hobbit. Most of them are minor, however the changes to chapter 5 are very significant. When Tolkien first published The Hobbit in 1937, Gollum's ring was not The Ring. After LotR though, Tolkien had to re-work chapter 5 to get it in line with the significance that The Ring has to the bearer.
Once we read chapter 5 in the Hobbit and then start LotR, I bet you'll have an a-ha moment for Tolkien's ingenious solution on the problem of having two versions of The Hobbit.
As for The Quest of Erebor, Unfinished Tales has some of the earlier drafts.
Fan

The deeper I get into Tolkien's works the deeper I have to go! :smileyvery-happy: I can see the discussion of The Hobbit, and certainly LOTR, as possibly taking much longer than the time allowed!

The direction of our discussions will depend on how our moderator wants to handle it and what type of group members we attract. If we bring in people who are casually interested in just reading through The Hobbit, then we can get through all 19 chapters of The Hobbit with a bit of time left over to talk about the revisions that were made to make it "fit" with LOTR. But we may get some serious readers, especially those who want to talk more about the events that set the groundwork for the LOTR. We may even want to talk about the events that are scattered throughout other works that probably will constitute the 2nd Hobbit movie--the 60 years or so between the time of Bilbo's adventure and Frodo's quest. I'm ready to jump in but I probably should hang loose until our official start.

I noticed that B&N has put "A Moderator-Led Discussion of The Hobbit" and that we are beginning a journey through Tolkien's works on the upcoming schedule. That is probably best so we can see what we get in the membership draw rather than pinning us down to a fixed schedule for the next four months.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbits: Dwarves: Durin's Folk

Last night I read Durin's Folk. This is an excellent backgrounder. It is about the dwarves and it fills out some important history related to The Hobbit and LOTR. There is a summary version of the Quest of Erebor which will be very useful to those of you who do not have a copy of this. This along with the story of the dwarves, places The Hobbit in the historical text related to the history of the Dwarves,"Gandalph's Plan," and its relationship to the events that eventually transpire in the LOTR. Erebor is the name of the Kingdom Under the Hill, the Lonely Mountain, that at the time of the Hobbit was occupied by Smaug. Durin's folk tells us of the events leading up to the establishment of that Kingdom, its eventual downfall to Smaug and what happened to the surviving dwarves until they met up with Gandalf and set off on their adventure with Bilbo

We also learn a bit about what happened in Moria. This, of course, becomes very relevant to LOTR. We also find out about the White Council that was instrumental in thwarting the return to power of Sauron. I see a lot of this going into Peter Jackson's second Hobbit movie.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbit Artwork

I found this artwork by John Howard for The Hobbit.

http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=1&page=1
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbit Artwork

Users Online
Currently online: 20 members 695 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: