Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: Mead

This seems to be a list of the best mead wines in the US.

http://wine.about.com/od/holidayswithwine/tp/Meadrecs.htm?p=1

It seems to be very popular for St Patrick's day so you might have more luck finding it in stores around that time.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: T-shirts

Apparently you can get printer "transfer" paper and print these images on your printer and then iron them on to a t-shirt:

http://www.timefold.com/snapsite/rbh/public/html/page2.html
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Favorite Actor/Character in the Peter Jackson Film

lorien wrote:
Gimli was my favorite character. He was boisterous and a braggart but at the same time he was all heart, sentimental and, in spite of his exterior gruffness he is an old softy inside. Who else would have thought to ask for a strand of hair from Galadriel! He openly wept when he discover the destruction of Moria. He is the comic relief of the movie but a true and faithful friend that comes through when needed.

As I have now moved on to the Two Towers, I want to add Gollum as one of my favorite characters. When I first read the book, I thought of him as deceitful and evil. The movie has changed my mind on that. I feel pity for poor Gollum. He has had a terrible life with and evil object, been rejected by his own people, tortured by Sauron's people, equally hated and mistreated by Men, and not well treated by Sam (the one thing I hold against Sam). He has spent who knows how many years living (and trying to survive) in a dark cave with nothing but and evil Ring sucking all the humanity out of him. He is totally unloved, friendless, and hated until Frodo shows him some compassion and then only because of his usefulness. Then Frodo seemingly betrays him when Gollum trusted him the most. He was like a little puppy-dog in the pool scene in the movie with the fish hanging out of his mouth.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

niki wrote:
Mead seems to be the beverage of choice, especially with the Dwarves. Has anyone ever tasted mead? I don't think I have ever seen it in a store (but then I've never looked for it!). I gather it is something like beer but does anyone know what it is?

I had a very productive day today. I found some mead. It is called Chaucer's Mead and it is made in California.

http://www.chaucerswine.com/mead.asp

It comes with packets of spices in tea-bags. You are supposed to heat the mead (I think they called that mulled) and then drop in a bag of spices and let it steep 5-10 minutes. Then you pour it into your favorite goblet (oops! I forgot the goblet!) The spices smell wonderful and contain cinnamon, orange peel, clove and other stuff.

I found it in a Cost Plus World Market in the wine section.

Well, I'm all set for a winter night in front of a roaring fire, with my warm spiced mead (sans goblet), and comic book Hobbit (see my review under "Recommended Books" )! I'll report on how it tastes tomorrow.

Message Edited by BarbaraN on 01-20-2008 04:38 PM
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I must make my report on the great mead tasting. I didn't "mull" it last night--I will save that for tonight. I decided to start with chilled version so I could find out what pure mead tasted like. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. It isn't sweet, it doesn't taste like wine, but it has a very fresh taste to it that I liked. It is hard to describe but I would say it is closest maybe to apple, kind of a light fruity taste. Very refreshing. So much so I could see gulping down a "flagon" on a hot day but I would not advise it! It is a wine and has a wine's alcoholic content! Too bad it is so expensive and hard to find. I am very surprised it is not more popular.

I may have just lucked out with a very good mead. I understand the source of the honey base makes a difference in the taste, so different meads may taste differently. I actually hate the idea of adding the spices but that is part of the "test." Unfortunately, the recipe and spice bags are for a half bottle of wine which is much too much for me. I am thinking of microwaving a glass and then dropping in a spice bag and only steeping briefly. I'm sure this is not traditional--unless dwarves had microwaves! It also was not brought up as an option on the Chaucer mead site. We will see how it works out.

BarbaraN wrote:

niki wrote:
Mead seems to be the beverage of choice, especially with the Dwarves. Has anyone ever tasted mead? I don't think I have ever seen it in a store (but then I've never looked for it!). I gather it is something like beer but does anyone know what it is?

I had a very productive day today. I found some mead. It is called Chaucer's Mead and it is made in California.

http://www.chaucerswine.com/mead.asp

It comes with packets of spices in tea-bags. You are supposed to heat the mead (I think they called that mulled) and then drop in a bag of spices and let it steep 5-10 minutes. Then you pour it into your favorite goblet (oops! I forgot the goblet!) The spices smell wonderful and contain cinnamon, orange peel, clove and other stuff.

I found it in a Cost Plus World Market in the wine section.

Well, I'm all set for a winter night in front of a roaring fire, with my warm spiced mead (sans goblet), and comic book Hobbit (see my review under "Recommended Books" )! I'll report on how it tastes tomorrow.

Message Edited by BarbaraN on 01-20-2008 04:38 PM

Message Edited by BarbaraN on 01-21-2008 01:00 PM
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Tolkien Scholar

I have notice that several people here have stated that they are not Tolkien scholars. I'm not sure I know what a Tolkien scholar is. Is it someone who has a PhD or something in Tolkien? Someone who teach Tolkien in college? Is it an amateur expert in all things Tolkien? Or is it someone who has written a book about Tolkien? Is it someone who devotes their life to learning about Tolkien?

There are always a few people who become an expert in a certain author and write a book but I didn't realize there might be so many people who might specialize in one author (other than someone like Shakespeare) or is Tolkien considered on the same level as Shakespeare?

I guess I would be classified as a "beginning Tolkien reader." Actually, I noticed that B&N has graduated me from "Reader" to "Contributor" and now to "Frequent Contributor." I wonder what is the highest rank B&N bestows? Can I aspire to be a "Scholar" if I reach 5,000 postings or something. :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: Tolkien Scholar

[ Edited ]

lorien wrote:
I have notice that several people here have stated that they are not Tolkien scholars. I'm not sure I know what a Tolkien scholar is. Is it someone who has a PhD or something in Tolkien? Someone who teach Tolkien in college? Is it an amateur expert in all things Tolkien? Or is it someone who has written a book about Tolkien? Is it someone who devotes their life to learning about Tolkien?

There are always a few people who become an expert in a certain author and write a book but I didn't realize there might be so many people who might specialize in one author (other than someone like Shakespeare) or is Tolkien considered on the same level as Shakespeare?

I guess I would be classified as a "beginning Tolkien reader." Actually, I noticed that B&N has graduated me from "Reader" to "Contributor" and now to "Frequent Contributor." I wonder what is the highest rank B&N bestows? Can I aspire to be a "Scholar" if I reach 5,000 postings or something. :smileyvery-happy:

I think you have to do better than that! It looks like Choisya has the record number of posts at B&N at 5,561 and she is still only a "Frequent Contributor." It looks like that is about as high as anyone can go at B&N unless they have a one million category! But then you might flip back to 0 and become a "New User" again. :smileysad:

Message Edited by BarbaraN on 01-24-2008 02:59 PM
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Making Faces

Does any one know how to make more faces than these? Seems there should be a chart someplace.

:smileyhappy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileywink: :smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: Making Faces

Here is a chart but most don't convert here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon

I tested a few and these are the only ones I could find that seemed to work:

Colon+O :smileysurprised: (surprise)
Colon+P :smileytongue: (sticking tongue out)
Colon+) :smileyhappy:
Colon+( :smileysad:
Colon+D :smileyvery-happy:
Semicolon+) :smileywink: (wink)

Anyone figured out anymore?
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: Tolkien Scholar

lorien wrote:

There seems to be a distinction between Academic Tolkien Scholars and Independent Tolkien Scholars. But to be either it looks like you must also be an expert in some sort of related field. I found this little essay on being a Tolkien scholar:
http://wormtalk.blogspot.com/2003/11/becoming-tolkien-scholarive-been.html

Maybe we could set up our own designation here and people can pick their classification. Like:

Tolkien Newbie
- Never read any books
- Only saw the movie

Tolkien Beginner
- Read the Hobbit and LOTR once back in high school
- Read LOTR (maybe partially) when the movie came out

Tolkien Reader
- Have read The Hobbit and LOTR at least once and maybe some of his other fictional works

Tolkien Enthusiast
- Have read the Similarrian and maybe the Histories plus The Hobbit and LOTR several times
- Have at least three linear feet of Tolkien related material on a book shelf
- Bought a Tolkien calendar

Tolkien Student
- Have read scholarly books about Tolkien and done some serious studying of his works
- Have at least four linear feet of Tolkien related material on a book shelf

Tolkien Fanatic
- Have learned at least one language and can read runes
- Have Tolkien games, figurines, posters and "Sting" hanging on your wall
- Have a full bookcase of Tolkien related material

Tolkien Expert
- Has spent a lifetime in serious study of Tolkien
- Has a Tolkien library

Tolkein Scholar
- Recognized expert in the field who has written at least one favorable scholarly book about Tolkien or has published several papers about Tolkien in a recognized Tolkien Journal
- Also has an academic background in at least one related Tolkien field such as Mythology, folklore, Anglo-Saxon, etc.

Any other suggestions or modifications?
Frequent Contributor
Fanuidhol
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Prancing Pony: Off-topic chat

BarbaraN wrote:
There seems to be a distinction between Academic Tolkien Scholars and Independent Tolkien Scholars. But to be either it looks like you must also be an expert in some sort of related field. I found this little essay on being a Tolkien scholar:
http://wormtalk.blogspot.com/2003/11/becoming-tolkien-scholarive-been.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love Prof. Michael Drout. I heard him speak awhile back...must have been 2002 or 2003 and I've read his blog ever since.
http://michaeldrout.com/
He mentioned "Tolkien Studies", an annual journal, in that essay that BarbaraN posted the link to. The first volume can be found here as a sample issue:
http://muse.jhu.edu/demo/tolkien_studies/

Just a big :smileywink:
Fan
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Prancing Pony: Off-topic chat

Congratulations fellow Tolkienians (is that a word?), we have just passed our first milestone! Our little determined group has crossed the 500 message count! Not bad for a fairly new group! But we did meander around in Fantasyland for awhile and had a bit of a head start.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

I finally got around to testing mulled mead. It was a bit of challenge since the recipe called for half a bottle and I only wanted one glass. But I think my approach was successful. I measured out 4 oz of mead into a measuring cup and dropped in one of the spice packets. I heated it in the microwave at half-power for about 2 minutes and then let it steep for another five.

It tasted like cinnamon tea with honey in it. Quite good, though a bit too sweet for my taste. I may have steeped it too long since I was using a spice packet designed for a half-bottle of mead. I liked the chilled version better and it didn't taste as sweet. It also seemed a shame to mess up such a nice-tasting wine with all that spice. But it does make pleasant drink on a chilly winter evening.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

My Hobbit Pen Name and Rank

I've added my Hobbit name and Tolkien proficiency rank to my "Profile" signature. So now you all know who I am. Of course this will show up in the other 297 posts I've made and confuse a lot of outside people! :smileyvery-happy:

Hobbit Name:
http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/

Tolkien Proficiency:

Tolkien Newbie
- Never read any books
- Only saw the movie

Tolkien Beginner
- Read the Hobbit and LOTR once back in high school
- Read LOTR (maybe partially) when the movie came out

Tolkien Reader
- Have read The Hobbit and LOTR at least once and maybe some of his other fictional works

Tolkien Enthusiast
- Have read the Similarrian and maybe the Histories plus The Hobbit and LOTR several times
- Have at least three linear feet of Tolkien related material on a book shelf
- Bought a Tolkien calendar

Tolkien Student
- Have read scholarly books about Tolkien and done some serious studying of his works
- Have at least four linear feet of Tolkien related material on a book shelf

Tolkien Fanatic
- Have learned at least one language and can read runes
- Have Tolkien games, figurines, posters and "Sting" hanging on your wall
- Have a full bookcase of Tolkien related material

Tolkien Expert
- Has spent a lifetime in serious study of Tolkien
- Has a Tolkien library

Tolkein Scholar
- Recognized expert in the field who has written at least one favorable scholarly book about Tolkien or has published several papers about Tolkien in a recognized Tolkien Journal
- Also has an academic background in at least one related Tolkien field such as Mythology, folklore, Anglo-Saxon, etc.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Hobbit Garden

After watching the movie extras on the creation of Hobbiton, I began thinking of a miniature Hobbit Garden project in my back yard. I was surprise when I looked around the web that no one seems to have ventured into this except by planting plants mentioned in Hobbit-LOTR. My idea was really a miniature, maybe a replica of Hobbition with little green mounds, in maybe a circular garden area. I might even put in little Hobbit Holes and figurines. Trees would be difficult but maybe little bonzai trees in small pots stuck among rocks might work. I'm just thinking about it but I was wondering if any of you have thought about it or have any good ideas.

I like the idea of wood carving. That might work. I could then carve my little trees and maybe Treebeard. It would be a totally fantasy garden and not necessarily an "authentic map." I also discovered hypertufa that might be a useful material in my garden. I could see hypertufa trolls and caves. http://www.efildoog-nz.com/hypertufa.htm Here is a recipe: http://www.all-about-planters.com/articles/hypertufa_pots.html They are apparently very light.
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Re: My Hobbit Pen Name and Rank

According to your chart, I am only a Tolkien Reader. :smileysad: I have had plenty of experience in Tolkien-related subjects such as Latin, mythology, folklore and fantasy/sci-fi writing, however, so what does that make me then??? Am I still only a Tolkien reader??
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: My Hobbit Pen Name and Rank

dianaprince wrote:
According to your chart, I am only a Tolkien Reader. :smileysad: I have had plenty of experience in Tolkien-related subjects such as Latin, mythology, folklore and fantasy/sci-fi writing, however, so what does that make me then??? Am I still only a Tolkien reader??

Hmmm Pansy Bumbleroot (I like that name), maybe we need another category. :smileysurprised: How about a "Tolkien Student". Or maybe a "Tolkien Student with Specialization Studies". Fanuidhol pointed out the need for the category "Tolkien Fan." Maybe that could be our catch-all category for those that are hard to categorized. Or you can define yourself as "Huge Fan of The Hobbit!"

We range from people who are first-time readers to those who have been reading Tolkien and studying his work for decades. There is a place for everyone here, though those who are new to Tolkien are going to approach his body of work a bit differently than those who have been studying his works for a long time. It should be an interesting mix. I feel "fanatic" creeping up on me. I've been pricing "Sting!"
Frequent Contributor
Fanuidhol
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbit Garden

[ Edited ]
Hey, lorien, got a few websites for you that may inspire...
http://www.thefairysgarden.com/index.html
http://uk.games-workshop.com/hobbits/hobbit-holes/1/
http://www.twogreenthumbs.com/

At one time, I considered creating a miniature garden based on Ithilien, with aquarium "Roman ruins". There is a Mediterranean feel to the description in the 'Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbits' chapter in Two Towers.
Fan

Message Edited by Fanuidhol on 01-26-2008 03:32 PM
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Fanuidhol wrote:

At one time, I considered creating a miniature garden based on Ithilien, with aquarium "Roman ruins". There is a Mediterranean feel to the description in the 'Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbits' chapter in Two Towers.
Fan

Oh, thank you Fan! What an inspiration! It is perfect with plan ideas and all. I am truly excited about the project and I'm going to start planning it tomorrow. I have a good size patch of ground next to the garage that is doing nothing but growing weeds.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

They have everything somewhere! You can get miniatures of all the characters to put in the gardens:
http://www.tolkientown.com/catalog.php?cPath=62

B&N even has a book on making miniature gardens
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=BROWSE&EAN=9781861080...

lorien wrote:

Fanuidhol wrote:

Fan

Oh, thank you Fan! What an inspiration! It is perfect with plan ideas and all. I am truly excited about the project and I'm going to start planning it tomorrow. I have a good size patch of ground next to the garage that is doing nothing but growing weeds.

Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 712 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: