Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Pen Name

Thanks Barbara:
Yeah, Pimple Knotwise of Michel Delving isn't a very flattering name – and I'm 6'2", almost 230 pounds, and have a beard that touches my chest so I'd love to put in for a new name. How about Gambo Brandybuck, since, gamba and buc, I think, are Old English references for goat? That's much better than being nicknamed after a pustule!!!
Paul

BarbaraN wrote:
oldBPLstackdenizen wrote:
Post-Script: I'm thinking of adding my own "Hobbit Name" to these letters, now..
I'm considering "Ardo Whortleberry of Hobottle" I guess anybody can tell me what they think of that one...I had toyed with using a "real" name from the books { "Radagast The Brown" } but I thought maybe my own invented name might be better...
----------------------------------------

A good idea Ardo. I like it. Our esteem leader (and some others) doesn't like his name -- Pimple Knotwise of Michel Delving. :smileyvery-happy: So Paul we will allow you to chose your own name. You can make it up or chose a character.

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Prancing Pony: Off-topic chat

Greetings All, One More Time...

If anyone has noticed an inordinate amount of extra long spaces in my recent letters ( that don't need to be there ) I think it is because what winds up on the site is never exactly the same as what I see when I "preview" my work ( which I normally do many times, ferreting out spelling mistakes --- although I almost never catch them all --- and changing the turn of a phrase here or there, etc. )...      I have never been all that technically proficient in the use of Cyber-Tools... ( although, with my own personal email service, it seems like I can get that system to bend to my will, and produce my desired results... And, of course, wordprocessing in general is a lot easier to handle than the old-fashioned, tedious, and time-consuming method of typewriting --- where it is so much more difficult to  correct mistakes, as well... )
Good Afternoon To All,     Ardo 
"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

hmm the spaces tend to make it easier to read actually

side note: has anyone else heard about the company planning to produce Mead commercially?
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Prancing Pony: Mead

TiggerBear wrote:
hmm the spaces tend to make it easier to read actually

side note: has anyone else heard about the company planning to produce Mead commercially?

Which company? I tried the Mead from Chaucer, a California company, and bought it at a store but it is hard to find. I liked it cold but I think the spiced might be an acquired taste, though I may have over-spiced it. The bags were designed for at least a half bottle and I only wanted a glass. I also heated using the microwave. I doubt very much if that is the traditional way Gimli might have mulled his mead!

This is the Chaucer web site: http://www.chaucerswine.com/mead.asp
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

To The Honorable Gambo Brandybuck...
I second the motion that your new choice of name is much more appropriate and dignified... Ardo  
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Ardo:
Thanks for accepting the new name choice – whenever I looked at "Pimple Knotwise" I was always reminded of the scene in National Lampoon's Animal House where John Belushi has an intimate moment with a mouthful of mashed potatoes in the cafeteria... so many thanks!
Gambo

To The Honorable Gambo Brandybuck...
I second the motion that your new choice of name is much more appropriate and dignified... Ardo  

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Prancing Pony: Mead

Which company? I tried the Mead from Chaucer, a California company, and bought it at a store but it is hard to find. I liked it cold but I think the spiced might be an acquired taste, though I may have over-spiced it. The bags were designed for at least a half bottle and I only wanted a glass. I also heated using the microwave. I doubt very much if that is the traditional way Gimli might have mulled his mead!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm might be the same one, but the one I heard about was from a midwest brewing company looking to diversify. Though they never did say where they were going to make it. And you're right, spiced mead should be subtle. It works better if added during the brewing cycle. Try it room temp next time, chilled mead is horrible.
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Good Afternoon To Everyone...

I know some of us have collected Tolkien paraphanelia , but I'm curious if anyone else has ever made their own stuff?  It's been a very long time since I did so... but I did do so ( once upon a time )...
My first creation came after I read "The Hobbit" for the first time(s)... ( when I was nine years old )
... this was a "sword" constructed of cardboard and covered in tin foil... ( not "Sting" --- I think it was supposed to be "Orcrist" )...I think I even made a cardboard "hilt" to put it in...
Several years later, I painstakingly produced a copy of the Map Of Middle-earth ( a copy of the fold-out one done by Christopher Tolkien --- which came with the hardback editions of LOTR that I checked out from the library )...
I used "Parchment Paper" ( purchased fro the Office Supply Store ) & India Ink --- and even "Gold Ink"...
My map was a meticulous copy of the original ( I made one spelling mistake with the Place-Names ) except that I substituted the lettering with the kind of lettering found on the maps in the Lloyd Alexander books...
Not long after I created this beauty, I'm afraid I sold it to an admiring aquaintance...
( and never saw it again after that, of course )...
I also drew a few small sketchy "scenes from the stories" and even attempted a painting of "Cerin Amroth"...

Ardo Whortleberry
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

LOTR: Side Projects

Several years later, I painstakingly produced a copy of the Map Of Middle-earth ( a copy of the fold-out one done by Christopher Tolkien --- which came with the hardback editions of LOTR that I checked out from the library )...
I used "Parchment Paper" ( purchased fro the Office Supply Store ) & India Ink --- and even "Gold Ink"...
My map was a meticulous copy of the original ( I made one spelling mistake with the Place-Names ) except that I substituted the lettering with the kind of lettering found on the maps in the Lloyd Alexander books...
Not long after I created this beauty, I'm afraid I sold it to an admiring aquaintance...
( and never saw it again after that, of course )...
I also drew a few small sketchy "scenes from the stories" and even attempted a painting of "Cerin Amroth"...

Ardo Whortleberry
-----------------------

Actually, Ardo, I consider drawing a map of Middle Earth a very worthwhile project and I intend to do it. I think it is the best way to learn the geography well. Beside I have trouble reading some of these tiny maps and I really like a detailed overall picture. I already have a few "store-bought" maps on my wall, but there's nothing like your own map with lots of detail. I've even given some fleeting thought to building a "sand box" and constructing a topographical map of Middle-earth out doors.

I do intend to try some sketching and maybe painting. I was thinking of keeping a sketch-reading diary as we went along. I don't know how to draw but I figure it is just for my own enjoyment. I've seen lots of pretty primitive art from the Ring series on the web. My first LOTR project might be the faceless and formless Black Riders. I've already given Gandalf and the Trolls a go of it.

Finally, I thought it might be fun to carve a walking staff. Or maybe a "Sting" letter opener.

Does anyone else have some side project ideas?
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Side Projects

My Dear Bramblerose...

I guess you ( and others )  will have to pick it up where I left off... I don't know if I have the energy to complete those kind of projects anymore... Even that map of Middle-earth  ( which I put so much energy into ) was completed over thirty-five years ago...  I'm going to have get really inspired --- in order to try and tackle anything like that, again...  That idea of yours for a "Drawing-Journal" sounds fun, though... ( and possibly illuminating, as well ) --- and it doesn't matter what level of artistic ability you might have... I had a history of having a fair amount of talent ( in the artistic field ) when I was younger ( drawing, cartooning & some painting ) ... but all my talent has mostly atrophied, due to lack of practice, over the years... Ardo  
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

... this was a "sword" constructed of cardboard and covered in tin foil... ( not "Sting" --- I think it was supposed to be "Orcrist" )...I think I even made a cardboard "hilt" to put it in...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was guilty of self made pirate maps after reading "treasure island". Going as the dragon the Halloween after seeing "dragon slayer". Making endless paper plate copies of the throwing star from "Krull". And running around for weeks with a curtain cloak, plastic sword sting, and a large brass lug nut thingy for the ring.
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

You reminded me... and this is a little embarrassing to report, but... I also had ( for a brief time ) in my youth,
 --- a "Ring Of Power" ( but not "The Ring" ) --- it was a big, blue plastic jobbie ( some kind of costume jewelry, I think ) --- Ardo 
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Now, we are becoming a respectable group. I just noticed that we passed the 1,000 message mark. It has been about a month since we passed 500 messages. We have some staying power and will be around for awhile! Good thing too since I'm building quite a Tolkien library right along with the rest of you.

BarbaraN wrote:
Congratulations fellow Tolkienians (is that a word?), we have just passed our first milestone! Our little determined group has crossed the 500 message count! Not bad for a fairly new group! But we did meander around in Fantasyland for awhile and had a bit of a head start.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Never have I met someone who read these books and could stop talking about them.
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Adden-"dumbs", miscellaneous corrections, etcetera, from Ardo...

None of the following is all that terribly important, which is why I'm posting this to
"The Prancing Pony" ---
My wife was reading one of my posts from a while back ( which was discussing
Non-Alcoholic Wines and Beers and so on ) --- and noticed that I had mentioned going to a "Farmer Joe's" in Alameda, CA ( the night before I had composed that  post )  --- This is a misnomer -- there is no "Farmer Joe's" in Alameda ( there are two "Farmer Joe's" in Oakland, CA   )
--- but there is a "Trader Joe's" in Alameda ( which is where we were ) ---
Incidentally, it's not just the caramel coloring in the "Amber" type of "O'Doul's" that makes it taste beter than the "regular" type --- the Dark version has got a nicer, maltier flavor ( I think so, at any rate ) --- 
I'm beginning to think I should refer to my dictionary for every word I type in these posts :
I had just dashed off a couple of quick posts, and immediately afterwards, realized that I had mis-spelled
"fundamentally" in both of them...

Ah, Well, Once More, Good Afternoon To All, Ardo Whortleberry 
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy: Spelling errors, grammar errors, incoherent sentences, double words, and total misstatements are inherent to posting on the Internet. We don't have the time to carefully proof read everything or look up words in the dictionary. We would never get anything said if we even tried. In most cases, I think people get your intended meaning.

Adden-"dumbs", miscellaneous corrections, etcetera, from Ardo...
None of the following is all that terribly important, which is why I'm posting this to
"The Prancing Pony" ---
My wife was reading one of my posts from a while back ( which was discussing
Non-Alcoholic Wines and Beers and so on ) --- and noticed that I had mentioned going to a "Farmer Joe's" in Alameda, CA ( the night before I had composed that post ) --- This is a misnomer -- there is no "Farmer Joe's" in Alameda ( there are two "Farmer Joe's" in Oakland, CA )
--- but there is a "Trader Joe's" in Alameda ( which is where we were ) ---
Incidentally, it's not just the caramel coloring in the "Amber" type of "O'Doul's" that makes it taste beter than the "regular" type --- the Dark version has got a nicer, maltier flavor ( I think so, at any rate ) ---
I'm beginning to think I should refer to my dictionary for every word I type in these posts :
I had just dashed off a couple of quick posts, and immediately afterwards, realized that I had mis-spelled
"fundamentally" in both of them...
Ah, Well, Once More, Good Afternoon To All, Ardo Whortleberry

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

An "Odds & Ends" for "The Prancing Pony" ---

I see that the "Hobbit Movie" Thread seems to have vanished, so I'm sending this off to this spot ---
Did anyone else ever picture Dudley Moore ( of "10" and "Arthur" fame ) as the actor to portray
Bilbo Baggins in a movie version of "The Hobbit"? --- It always seemed to me like he would have been the perfect ( or near-perfect ) choice for the role ---
 Of course ( sadly ) he is gone, so we will never know for sure. ---
And I'm sure others may have had other favorite choices for the role, as well ( if they have ever been mulling over who should get the part, in their minds ) ----

Good Afternoon To All,          Ardo Whortleberry

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Ardo said:
I see that the "Hobbit Movie" Thread seems to have vanished,
------------------------------

None of the threads vanish, Ardo. We are just a talkative bunch with lots of threads. Only the recently posted to threads stay near the top. The rest keep being pushed down. We now have two pages of threads. You have to go to our page 2 to find the Hobbit Movie. Posting this here is just fine, but you and others might want to see what interesting threads might be lurking on our second page.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

None of the threads vanish, Ardo. We are just a talkative bunch with lots of threads. Only the recently posted to threads stay near the top. The rest keep being pushed down. We now have two pages of threads. You have to go to our page 2 to find the Hobbit Movie. Posting this here is just fine, but you and others might want to see what interesting threads might be lurking on our second page.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How friendly, other groups groan at me when I pull something up from a few pages back. Guilty me, I don't care if the subject was months ago, when I find It is when I find IT.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Alright I need some info. I know I've read this somewhere already, but how does one imbead a link inside a post. Any help would be appreciated.
Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 251 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: