Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Prancing Pony: Off-topic chat

Good Evening, TiggerBear ---

I tried to "inbed" an address in one of my posts once - but I went back ( just now ) to see if it was working properly -- and it wasn't. I must have done something wrong. So - if anyone is interested in seeing those paintings by Tim Kirk, I would suggest just looking up his name on your Search Engine and see what you can come up with ---

Do you recall when we were discussing real-life hobbit-holes and I mentioned the
"Story Book" houses in our area? If you ( or anyone else ) is interested in seeing just what I was talking about, there is a very nice "Coffee-Table Book" on the subject ( I checked it out from the library ) --

"STORYBOOK STYLE"
"AMERICA'S WHIMSICAL HOMES OF THE TWENTIES"
BY Arrol Gellner & Douglas Keister
VIKING STUDIO
Published by the Peguin Group
First Printing Oct. 2001

And in the last chapter, there is a building the authors describe as being "The Ultimate Storybook House"-
which looks remarkably like it could be a hobbit dwelling ( although some of the rafters look a little bit too
angular - but check out the view of the vestibule looking through the front door ) ---
Ardo Whortleberry 
"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
Fanuidhol
0 Kudos

Tiggerbear, I'm sorry, I meant to reply to your post on how to post hyperlinks. 
I go to the webpage I want to link to -- simply copy the web address and paste it to the post I am writing.  It helps to have both webpages open at the same time. 
But, this method may not work with all browsers.

In the toolbar above when writing a post, I see an icon (11th from left) of a ball with a chain link.  If I click on that a box comes up.  Next to the line URL I could type or paste the link I want, click ok and it would appear.

I hope this helps.
Fan
PS Thanks Arlo for bringing my attention back to Tiggerbear's post. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

nope that didn't work something to do with firefox I think

If I can ever get it up, its a direct link to the article on the new hobbit bone find, that I was talking about. Firefox has got a help site I'll see if they can figure it out. THANKS
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
nope that didn't work something to do with firefox I think

If I can ever get it up, its a direct link to the article on the new hobbit bone find, that I was talking about. Firefox has got a help site I'll see if they can figure it out. THANKS

I use Firefox too. I think Fan is referring to the new text editor (she can now underline book titles) and that can only be used with Internet Explorer. I think I saw something in the B&N Help Board about putting some sort of update in Firefox but I'm not sure. All I remember was that it was beyond my nontechnical brain. I could switch over to Explorer for posting but then I would loose Firefox's spelling checker, which for me is essential.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Yes firefox will let me cut and paste within this site to my hearts content, but nothing ever gets in and nothing ever comes out.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
Yes firefox will let me cut and paste within this site to my hearts content, but nothing ever gets in and nothing ever comes out.

TiggerBear, here is the post to convert Firefox to IE from the Help board:

abdrgnldy wrote:
Hi Suzi, I too use Firefox. Here is a link to an IE tab add-on that Firefox has. I have it and it works great:smileyhappy: Ana
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

However, I cut and paste in links all the time with Firefox if I put in the raw link (I can't bury them under a neat title). It doesn't appear to be a hyperlink in the preview but when I finally post it it is and works ok--as many have seen--I'm one of the "mad linkers". :smileyvery-happy:
Distinguished Correspondent
lmpmn
0 Kudos

Hello to you all again!  I've been slacking as far as posting goes.  I just finished Book 1 early early this morning.  I'm going to go back and post, starting from chapter 3.  I've kept up with your posts and find them really interesting.  Hope to keep up better with Book 2.  (It's getting easier for me to read b/c I find it more exciting as the story unfolds.)
Laura
Happiness is a warm blanket!
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

lmpmn wrote:
Hello to you all again! I've been slacking as far as posting goes. I just finished Book 1 early early this morning. I'm going to go back and post, starting from chapter 3. I've kept up with your posts and find them really interesting. Hope to keep up better with Book 2. (It's getting easier for me to read b/c I find it more exciting as the story unfolds.)
Laura

Great to see you back, Laura! As you can see with the speed of our progress, we have been waiting for you! :smileywink:
lmpmn
0 Kudos

Tiggerbear and lorien:

I was giggling to myself at your posts in the thread FOTR Chapters 6-8 where you mentioned the Jolly Green Giant.  I happen to live in the town that has a "giant" statue of the green man himself!  If you want to see a pic you can click on this link:

I had no idea why he was built before reading that Wiki page.  I thought it was because the Green Giant company has a small factory here.

I always tease my daughter that he's going to walk over here and peek into her window!
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

(chuckle) reminds me of the giant Wise owl that leans over their factory, dang thing looks like it wants to eat you.
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

A very good morning to everyone...
I've been out of comission for a couple of days ( posting-wise ) as our computer suddenly went Coo-coo...
I may never know for sure if it went on the fritz all by itself, or if it caught a little nasty virus. The problems did all seem to start after I found that little winking smiley guy ( who I hadn't placed there ) showing up in one of my posts - but that could all just be a coincidence  ... I hope nobody else has been experiencing any similar problems...            
Ardo Whortleberry

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Prancing Pony: Favorite Place on Middle-Earth

What if you were granted a one-day visit to Middle-Earth? It would be limited to western Middle-Earth at the time of The Hobbit and LOTR and you would only be allowed the one day. What place would you pick to visit?
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

BarbaraN wrote:
What if you were granted a one-day visit to Middle-Earth? It would be limited to western Middle-Earth at the time of The Hobbit and LOTR and you would only be allowed the one day. What place would you pick to visit?

I would like to spend my day in Lothlorien. It should be spring so I could see the mallorn trees in bloom.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Having a long picnic on Weather Top.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

I would like to visit Hobbington. Just walking around the village visiting folks. Maybe stopping at the Green Dragon for a chat and a few stories and songs and later on going to tea at Bag End. I would actually prefer to go on September 22 so I could attend Bilbo's Birthday party, get my present at the gate, eat lots of good meals, sing some songs, and watch Gandalf's fireworks.
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Dear Bramblerose ...

I like your choice  ( of the choices given so far ) the best ... When  I first read your question/suggestion before -- I could only think; "What a difficult decision! There would be so many different places one would want to visit there - if one were were allowed that one 'wish' " ...
I too, thought of being in Lothlorien, ( especially at
Dol Amroth, in the middle of its eternal Spring ) ...
I also considered the woods above Woodhall ( where Frodo and his companions were taken to 'picnic' with the Elves that night) - although, actually, I feel I have may have already been at that particular spot in real life ( I think it was in Tilden Park )...
A picnic atop Weathertop ( as TiggerBear suggested ) also sounds interesting ( just as long as there were no Nazgul nearby! ) ... one could get quite a panoramic view of that region of Middle-earth up there - ( and it would be interesting to ramble about the ruins up there ) ...
If it were to be a day in The Shire, however, I would prefer to there on a day after
The War Of The Ring was over - especially during that marvelous Summer of 1420 (S.R.) - and enjoy some of that beautiful warm sunshine ( and eat some of those fantastic strawberries! ) --- :smileyhappy:

Good Afternoon To All...
Ardo Whortleberry  
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

How about if we include a day in The Hobbit time and one for LOTR. I would have loved to have been at the Unexpected Party at Bag End when the dwarves came to visit. Especially when they pulled out their instruments and started to play.

But then I am also draw to dinner at Beorn's with all his magical animals doing the serving.
lmpmn
0 Kudos

The first place that jumped in my head was Rivendell!  I just finished reading the first chapter of Book 2 about a day and a half ago.  Frodo wakes up there and he gets to go to the feast that night.  Oh how I would have loved to have been there.  Food, drink, singing, lovely glorious beautiful elf men!!!  You can probably figure I fell in love at first sight with Legolas in the movies!  Aragorn wasn't that bad either, lol!  Great question :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Prancing Pony: Off-topic chat: No Moderator?

Have B&N taken our moderator away? I don't think we have heard from Paul in over a month. Maybe he is embarrassed by his hobbit name. We still love you Pimple in spite of your name! :smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Prancing Pony: Off-topic chat: No Moderator?

BarbaraN wrote:
Have B&N taken our moderator away? I don't think we have heard from Paul in over a month. Maybe he is embarrassed by his hobbit name. We still love you Pimple in spite of your name! :smileysad:

I miss Paul too. He added a bit of spice to our discussions. But he has a heavy reading and writing schedule, so he probably couldn't put in the time. Me too :smileysad:
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 167 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: