Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
Posts: 299
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

LOTR: Prancing Pony: Off-topic chat

We do need a place to chat either on generally related topics or just a place to shoot the breeze. So why don't we post here instead of cluttering up the other groups.

Bucky
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
Posts: 299
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Posting new threads

I think we can start any threads we want to. However, to keep the LOTR threads separate from the other SF postings, why don't we just put LOTR: before our thread title.

Bucky
Frequent Contributor
niki
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎12-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Prancing Pony:Frodo's Journey

I have moved the Walk to Rivendell thread from out of the regualr discussions and put it in its own thread. If anyone want to join me--actual walkers or just desk-top walkers it is at:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=fsf&message.id=920&jump=true#M920

It might slip down the page on this very slippery board where nothing is fixed.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Prancing Pony: Off-topic chat

This group might be one of the few decent discussion groups left on the open boards. Seems BN sucked all the regular participants inside to the Riverton board leaving only a few active participants and newcomers on the outside. It is really quiet in most of the groups. The only ones (actual discussion groups and not chat groups) with any real activity are the Paranormal and Romantic groups. They get advertising on the front page, three! active moderators each and each gets an author as well! While LOTR is hidden away and doesn't even get a visiting part-time moderator. So hang in there--we are doing pretty well here. I think it was a good decision postponing our start with the Hobbit until February. Maybe by then we will get some attention.

In the mean time, I think the LOTR movies was a very good choice for January. It is a good entry into the series.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Favorite Actor/Character in the Peter Jackson Film

It might be fun to see what everyone thinks of the actors in the Peter Jackson film. Since the topic is more trivia than related to a discussion of LOTR, I thought it best if we talk about it in the chat room.

For me it was Gandolf and Ian McKellen. I've seen him mainly in Shakespearean productions. His Iago interpretation in Othello was fascinating. His Gandalf shows his talent for putting his own mark on a role in such a way that it fits and you don't notice how unique it really is. I sure hope he does the role in the new Hobbit movie.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
Posts: 770
Registered: ‎12-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Favorite Actor/Character in the Peter Jackson Film

Gimli was my favorite character. He was boisterous and a braggart but at the same time he was all heart, sentimental and, in spite of his exterior gruffness he is an old softy inside. Who else would have thought to ask for a strand of hair from Galadriel! He openly wept when he discover the destruction of Moria. He is the comic relief of the movie but a true and faithful friend that comes through when needed.
Frequent Contributor
niki
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎12-25-2006
0 Kudos

Mead

Mead seems to be the beverage of choice, especially with the Dwarves. Has anyone ever tasted mead? I don't think I have ever seen it in a store (but then I've never looked for it!). I gather it is something like beer but does anyone know what it is?
Frequent Contributor
niki
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎12-25-2006
0 Kudos

Hobbit Illustrated Version

I have been contemplating getting an illustrated version of the Hobbit in addition to my Annotated Hobbit for our reading of The Hobbit in February. It seems there are three of them! Decisions, decisions! I can't really justify buying all three! Does anyone have any of these and can give their opinion on which they liked the best?

Here is the list:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=illustrated+Hobbit&z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=BR...
Frequent Contributor
Fanuidhol
Posts: 203
Registered: ‎12-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbit Illustrated Version


niki wrote:
I have been contemplating getting an illustrated version of the Hobbit in addition to my Annotated Hobbit for our reading of The Hobbit in February. It seems there are three of them! Decisions, decisions! I can't really justify buying all three! Does anyone have any of these and can give their opinion on which they liked the best?

Here is the list:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=illustrated+Hobbit&z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=BR...


Niki, if I was in the market for a new Hobbit I'd get the 70th Anniversity edition, otherwise I'd go with the one Alan Lee illustrated.
70th Anniversity Edition: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780618968633&itm=10
Fan
Frequent Contributor
niki
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎12-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Hobbit Illustrated Version

[ Edited ]
Thanks, Fan. I didn't even notice that one on the list. Guess because it didn't have a picture.



Fanuidhol wrote:

niki wrote:
I have been contemplating getting an illustrated version of the Hobbit in addition to my Annotated Hobbit for our reading of The Hobbit in February. It seems there are three of them! Decisions, decisions! I can't really justify buying all three! Does anyone have any of these and can give their opinion on which they liked the best?

Here is the list:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=illustrated+Hobbit&z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=BR...


Niki, if I was in the market for a new Hobbit I'd get the 70th Anniversity edition, otherwise I'd go with the one Alan Lee illustrated.
70th Anniversity Edition: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780618968633&itm=10
Fan



Message Edited by niki on 01-09-2008 02:47 PM
Frequent Contributor
niki
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎12-25-2006
0 Kudos

The Forgotten Group: February Schedule

[ Edited ]
Well, the February Schedule is out and once again we are are the "forgotten" group. I guess because Fantasy and Science Fiction has no representation. Moderators probably have to submit their plans or something. Jessica said she would give us a moderator and some publicity back in November and we still don't have either. We can't even post our own announcement in Announcements.

Message Edited by niki on 01-09-2008 02:56 PM
Frequent Contributor
niki
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎12-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Favorite Actor/Character in the Peter Jackson Film



lorien wrote:
Gimli was my favorite character. He was boisterous and a braggart but at the same time he was all heart, sentimental and, in spite of his exterior gruffness he is an old softy inside. Who else would have thought to ask for a strand of hair from Galadriel! He openly wept when he discover the destruction of Moria. He is the comic relief of the movie but a true and faithful friend that comes through when needed.




I liked Gimli as well. He is just a big teddy bear! I especially like the relationship between Legolas and Gimli. They are a contrasting pair of the tall, reserved and stately elf, Legolas, and the short, stout, and bragging dwarf, Gimli. They start out disliking each other, but there is a humorous rivalry between them even in the darkest and worst battles. By the end of the movie they are close friends. I don't remember if this was brought out in the books but it certainly was in the movie. I think this makes an excellent point as well. Two arch enemies end up helping each other and become good friends once they get to know more about each other.
Frequent Contributor
niki
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎12-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Prancing Pony: Off-topic chat

Yeppie! We are on the February schedule! We are actually going to do this and get more participants. I am spending the weekend doing some background reading for The Hobbit and watching some of the Movie extras. This is going to be a great group!

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=announcements&thread.id=268&jump=true
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR:

[ Edited ]
Ooops! Looks like this message slipped out before I got my post in and I can't delete it. My intended message is below.

Message Edited by BarbaraN on 01-13-2008 12:16 PM
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: T-shirts

I have been looking all over the net for some LOTR t-shirts. Surprisingly, they are few and mainly movie posters. So I have this inspiration to make my own. I have in mind a Smaug T-shirt for starters. Has anyone tried to make their own t-shirt? I was looking for some pointers as to how to go about it. I'm not quite up to embroidery. I was looking for something simple and easy to do.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
Posts: 770
Registered: ‎12-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: T-shirts


BarbaraN wrote:
I have been looking all over the net for some LOTR t-shirts. Surprisingly, they are few and mainly movie posters. So I have this inspiration to make my own. I have in mind a Smaug T-shirt for starters. Has anyone tried to make their own t-shirt? I was looking for some pointers as to how to go about it. I'm not quite up to embroidery. I was looking for something simple and easy to do.




You can paint a T-Shirt with fabric paint:

Fabric painting

http://www.deltacrafts.com/Crafting/Fabric/techniques/techGuide.asp

http://painting.about.com/od/fabricpainting/a/FabricPaintTips.htm?p=1

http://www.artsncrafts-ideas.com/fabric-painting.php

http://crafts.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Fabric_Paint
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mead

This link and the links from each of its topics, should cover just about everything you need to know about mead:

http://www.realbeer.com/edu/mead/

Here is their list of better brands:

http://www.realbeer.com/edu/mead/2004winners.php

They also provide information on how you can make it yourself but that seems chancey to me.

I think I might not mind trying some if I see it in a store but to tell you the truth it doesn't seem too appealing to me!

Has anyone else tried this beverage?
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mead



niki wrote:
Mead seems to be the beverage of choice, especially with the Dwarves. Has anyone ever tasted mead? I don't think I have ever seen it in a store (but then I've never looked for it!). I gather it is something like beer but does anyone know what it is?




I had to go shopping today so I looked in the beer section to see if they had mead. I don't know much about these things but I don't think so. I found two that might have possibilities but again I don't think so:

Dundee Honey Lager - This had honey in it.
http://www.christonium.com/chris/ItemID=11904800155665

Black Butte Porter - This one looked strange enough with chocolate and malt!
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/198
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mead

I thought mead was a beer-type beverage but now I think it is a sweeet wine-type. Maybe that is where you can find mead.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mead

I found this definition:

Mead - What is It?

Mead. . . ranges from dry, medium-sweet, and sweet. Some products are carbonated like champagne, while others are still like white wine. Plus you can add fruit, herbs, vegetables or spices to fermented honey and it is still considered mead.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 264 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: