Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself

Welcome!!! tiffanyj031 We glad to have you here.
Contributor
Danaan
0 Kudos

Hi, all! My name's Rebecca, and I've been reading and re-reading The Hobbit, LOTR, and The Silmarillion since I was in junior high. I actually wrote my capstone English paper on it a few years ago when I was an undergrad (it gave me a great excuse to "research" by watching the movies!) and love to talk about the books. I even have the book-based trivia game, which is a hurricane tradition in my household--when the electricity goes out, we get out the game! I look forward to discussing with you all!
Life is rather above the measure of us all (save for a very few, perhaps). ~ Tolkien, Letter 215
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

First off, allow me to say "Welcome!", Rebecca, and I also want to praise you for your accomplished  writing style, which I have noticed ( "right off the bat" ) from reading some of your posts so far -

Your witing style is efficient, succint and   clear - it is easy to understand what you are saying, and yet it still seems like  you  are saying a lot that is meaningful and significant within the framework of your prose style, at the same time. I'm very impressed, inotherwords!  ---

[  P.S. --- I started my readings ( and re-readings ) of "The Hobbit" and LOTR in Elementary School, so I wrote my own "Magnum Opus" on Tolkien for an English class in Junior High School ( 1969 - 1971 ) -

really no "Great Shakes" at all ( my paper ) - it was mainly  simply a recitation of selections culled from all that I could find concerning Tolkien from magazine articles and such ( and "Who's Who" - and possibly "Contemporary Authors" ) that I dug up down at the Berkeley Public Library -  but the artistic presentation of my little "paper" had a lot of love put into it, for sure... ] ---

"Middle-earth is a state of mind" ---

Ardo Whortleberry

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Contributor
Danaan
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ardo, for the warm welcome and the kind words; I'm going to have to proof my posts quite vigilantly now to make sure they live up to your expectations! :smileywink:

Re. magnum opi (don't you love Latin plurals?!), mine was in tenth grade on Emily Bronte (apparently I managed to drag myself away from LOTR that year). Still, as I recall, she was big on created worlds too, so maybe there were more similarities there with Tolkien than first meet the eye!

I've enjoyed reading your posts as well as I continue sifting through Tolkien threads on this board and the scifi/fantasy board, and look forward to reading many more!

Rebecca

Life is rather above the measure of us all (save for a very few, perhaps). ~ Tolkien, Letter 215
New User
tumbrew
0 Kudos

JUST LOOKING BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT LED ZEPPELIN MANY REFERENCES TO TLOTR?
Reader
Uruviel
0 Kudos

hi my name is Uruviel (in elvish) I love the lord of the rings. I've listened to it it on CD 4 or 5 times and watched the movie a gazillion times. right now I am trying to learn elvish mostly quenya but some sindarin. does anyone know of any good site's with elvish word and the pronunciation?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wonder are lost,the old that is young does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.From the ashes a fire shall be woken a light from the shadows shall spring, renewed be the blade that was broken the crownless again shall be king.
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy: Welcome, Uruviel!

It is wonderful to hear from you...

I'm afraid I personally don't know of any sites specifically related to the Elvish language,

but hopefully someone else in our midst might be able to assist you...

I think it is somewhat unfortunate that you have arrived just in time to witness the

"waning days" of our little group -

as apparently there is a big upheaval in the works...

but perhaps we will all be able to sort out the technicalities -

and we will all meet again soon elsewhere on these boards, after all:

"Not all who wander are lost..."

Ardo Whortleberry

Tolkien Reader

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Nadine
0 Kudos

I will add my welcome to you as well, Uruviel. We are being moved over to the Fantasy/SF board. We are half there and half here but as of next Wednesday we will be all there--if you can follow all of that. I'm sure someone here can help you find information on  Tolkien's languages. I remember seeing a post somewhere but right now haven't any idea where!
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

tumbrew wrote:
JUST LOOKING BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT LED ZEPPELIN MANY REFERENCES TO TLOTR?

(chuckle) wow that's an old one. YES they are deliberate. (smiling)

Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 178 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: