Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself

scifigypsy wrote:
Greetings and Salutations!!

I haven't read LOTR in many years- I get distracted by other stories. But I am looking forward to being invovled in this posting as I do not know any other readers, at least that want to talk about Tolkien.
This is also my first time being involved in an online discussion so I am breaking new ground and taking my first steps into a timeless adventure with other fellow adventurers. It is my pleasure to meet you and to share this journey with you.

Hi scifigypsy. Your timing is perfect since we are just starting out. Many of us have read it once and several years ago, so we are also viewing this as a new adventure. I am already discovering new depth to the books that I hadn't realized the first time through and I'm sure you will as well. It should be a good discussion group as so many of us are rereading with a fresh perspective. Looking forward to your comments.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR Reading Group: Introduce Yourself

oldBPLstack

I've moved your interesting discussion over to the Prancing Pony along with my comments:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=tolkien&thread.id=379&page=3
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR Reading Group: Introduce Yourself

Yes, it does seem like the Book Club is an excellent opportunity to do just that...
I think I might still send my comments ( that I had already composed ) concerning "Movie versus Book" etc. to the "Movie" thread...
I have confused myself in some of the technical aspects of sending these posts, but I think I have finally straightened that out in my head...This whole business has been slow going for me, anyway, as we are still in "The Stone Age" in this household, still using "Dial-Up" for our Internet service...My main problem has been how long it takes for me scroll down through all the various posts...
"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
niki
0 Kudos

love4books wrote:
Thanks leakybucket. I do seem to visualize a lot when I read, especially if the author has written details well. I love books that are able to take me right into their story as if I am watching safely behind an unknown object within the story. Hmmm, I have never really thought about it but lol, I guess that might be why I lean towards fantasy books. I like to read certain fiction books and can usually imagine what characters etc. are like however I don't "feel" like I am "there" in the story like the fantasy books.
It does sound as if my daughter will like the extended version of LOTR. I am sure her and her dad will be quite entertained by all the extras.

love4books

I liked the movie but I like the words more and movies move too fast for me to really savor them. I'm the sort that can't use a library book because I want to highlight certain things. I have been actually "walking with Frodo" to Rivendell and reading the appropriate section of the book with a map. Tolkien describes everything in detail and the maps I'm using are also very detailed. So as I run up mileage on my pedometer in everyday life, I can visual everything that Frodo and company are seeing, doing and feeling as we move along at "my" very slow pace. It is a unique way to read a book, especially since I'm stripping my travel journal of all the larger events. I can hear the wind in the trees and see the stars come out at night. Weather on my side of the book has put my mileage down to a crawl but I will get back to posting my progress soon.
New User
fairydreams
0 Kudos

leakybucket wrote:
I noticed that people have introduced themselves in the Tolkien group but many of those have either quit the BN boards altogether or have since joined in other more organized discussions. I don't know how many people are left who actually want to talk about LOTR, though there seems to be a respectable number of daily lurkers. So introduce yourself here even if it is just to say hi and we support you.

Bucky

hello all i am somewhat nervous im the shy hide behind the book person but i was delighted to learn of the book club for the lord of the rings i had just finished the book a few months ago and then set myself to watch the movies took 2 weekends have to say the book is so much better i love being able to read the charcters thoughts and moods and their is so much more than a movie could ever have but i guess the movies would have been even longer hey is anyone here a barnes and noble member is it worth it? I dont know 25 dollars is a lot more books i could buy any advice for a newbie used to shop at waldenbooks like B&N more thanks.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

fairydreams wrote:

leakybucket wrote:
I noticed that people have introduced themselves in the Tolkien group but many of those have either quit the BN boards altogether or have since joined in other more organized discussions. I don't know how many people are left who actually want to talk about LOTR, though there seems to be a respectable number of daily lurkers. So introduce yourself here even if it is just to say hi and we support you.

Bucky

hello all i am somewhat nervous im the shy hide behind the book person but i was delighted to learn of the book club for the lord of the rings i had just finished the book a few months ago and then set myself to watch the movies took 2 weekends have to say the book is so much better i love being able to read the charcters thoughts and moods and their is so much more than a movie could ever have but i guess the movies would have been even longer hey is anyone here a barnes and noble member is it worth it? I dont know 25 dollars is a lot more books i could buy any advice for a newbie used to shop at waldenbooks like B&N more thanks.

Hi Fairydreams. What a nice sign-on name you picked. Don't feel shy here. We are all very supportive and friendly. Some people in the group have never read any of the books and some have read them many times and know a lot of the background material. Most of us are in between leaning toward the "read books once and saw the movie" group. So you are in good company. Just jump in and join the discussion whenever you feel inspired, or start your own topic.

We won't be getting to LOTR until March but we reference it often--it is unavoidable. We are starting the Hobbit Monday, which leads into the LOTR, though some of us more anxious people have jumped in a mite early.

We have been talking about the movie all January waiting for the time when our group officially got underway. So you might look at that thread and add or respond to any of the discussions there.

I am a member of B&N but I buy a LOT of books and the discount is nice. They also periodically send out additional discount certificates you can use on top of your regular discount--just another excuse for me to buy more books. It might be a matter of convenience if you are the type that likes to go to the store and browse through the books first and if there is a B&N near you.

So, if you don't have a copy of The Hobbit, pick one up this weekend and join us in a discussion of the first few chapters. You don't have to read the whole thing right away since we are taking it a few chapters at a time. I think you will be delighted with the book.

Looking forward to your joining us.

Message Edited by BarbaraN on 02-01-2008 10:32 PM
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

I'm a bit shy myself. Especially when I first joined and it looked like everyone knew more than I did. But I gradually worked up to being a pretty active contributor. It isn't like every one is staring at me when I "speak". I can hid behind my computer screen. :smileywink: The more you do it the easier it gets. I even start threads and new topics now! It is a lot more fun doing the reading when you participate. I find I do a lot more thinking and research in the group (especially when I'm going to post something), and I get so much more out of the book than I would if I were reading it on my own. And then there is all the ideas that other people contribute.

So don't be shy. You have a lot to contribute.

fairydreams wrote:

leakybucket wrote:

Bucky

Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

Welcome fairydreams! :smileyhappy:
I too am a little on the shy side however I am starting to outgrow that shell a little. This too will be my first on attempting any book discussion so I don't even know for sure what to expect but it is on such a great book I figured I should try something new.
Like Barbara, I too am a Barnes and Noble member. However, I buy tons of books as it is my daughters favorite store. I definately save more than $25 a year to cover my membership fee. I will go to Barnes and Noble to look for gift ideas also and many times I can find something a bit unique. I do like the extra bonus coupons they send through emails and take advantage of them. I am even thinking of filling out the Barnes and Noble credit card now to take advantage of their point system to earn $25 gift certificates. You need to figure roughly how much books you buy in a year to see if the memebership would benefit you or not. I remember the first year I signed up I too was a bit reluctant but figured I would try it and see.
love4books
New User
fairydreams
0 Kudos

thank you all its so nice that people are just so nice i have a 50 gift card to B&N and i think im going to get the reward card i already read the Hobbit and loved it so cool i love gandalf and the hobbits are so neat have to make this fast post picking up my mom just wanted to say thank you all its so nice to belong to such a nice group.
Distinguished Correspondent
lmpmn
0 Kudos

Fairydreams, so nice to have you on the boards with us! I look forward to discussing LOTR and The Hobbit with you and all the rest of the Tolkien lovers. I searched on Barnes & Noble online under books and then bargains the other day, and I found so many great deals--I couldn't believe it! I just browsed under my favorite genres. I found the bargain books because that's where the Annotated Hobbit was for 5.99. My copy should be here on the 5th, but I won't fall behind because I'm just going to read my regular Hobbit until I get the Annotated one. Look forward to hearing from you!
Happiness is a warm blanket!
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Since "love4books" read "The Felowship Of The Ring"- her reluctance with wanting to see the movies would not necessarily have to do with being unaquainted with the "background history" concerning the creation, losing and finding of "The One Ring"...

Although these matters are certainly more extensively covered in the appendices at the end of the books, they are also discussed early on in "The Fellowship..." - first, in the chapter "The Shadow Of The Past"- and then later, in "The Council Of Elrond" ( where some more details are filled in ) ...
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
New User
fairydreams
0 Kudos

thanks all i went out and bought the rewards card saved 3.70 already and I found the complete chrornicles of Narnia all 7 books in one so cool! I never read them as a kid and am looking forward to it im going to try a little exparment i am going to record my savings for the year i have the card and see if i do save i didnt know you could use it in the cafe and discount stuff and music and DVDs very cool im still reading the count of monto cristo reading the classic never read it before so narnia has to wait.
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

I know "love4books" has already established that she wants to read the books first, before ( if she ever chooses to in the first place ) watch the movies, so this is just a small excercize in pedantics- but...
Since she has already read "The Fellowship Of The Ring"- she would then already be familiar with the background history and figures revolving around the making, losing, and finding of "The One Ring"- There are more extensive notes in the appendices at the end of the books, of course- but the background story is also related very early on in "The Fellowship..." in the Chapter: "The Shadow Of The Past"- and also later, in the Chapter: "The Council Of Elrond" [ where more details are filled in ]...

Good Cheer To All... Ardo Whortleberry Of Hobottle
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Hi Everyone,

I'm reading The Hobbit right now and loving it. Quite brilliant. I can practically feel Gollum whispering in my ear! Eeeek!

I'll pop in and out of the discussion this month, but just wanted to say at the outset how great it is to see all these Tolkien fans in one spot!

Thanks!
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Jessica wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm reading The Hobbit right now and loving it. Quite brilliant. I can practically feel Gollum whispering in my ear! Eeeek!

I'll pop in and out of the discussion this month, but just wanted to say at the outset how great it is to see all these Tolkien fans in one spot!

Thanks!

Oh, and PS

That Hobbit Name Generator is hilarious. Just call me "Rosie Loamsdown."

Oh wait! I also have an Elvish name: "Artanis Ancalímon"

:smileytongue:
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

Jessica wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Oh, and PS

That Hobbit Name Generator is hilarious. Just call me "Rosie Loamsdown."

Oh wait! I also have an Elvish name: "Artanis Ancalímon"

:smileytongue:

Your Hobbit name isn't too bad -- Paul got Pimple Knotwise of Michel Delving! I'm never going to let him live that one down :smileyvery-happy: !

Well, thanks to you we have this group. So thanks for the opportunity and we do hope you will be joining us from time to time.
New User
fairydreams
0 Kudos

gollum in your ear yikes sounds great that you are so in to it i think the creepy part is when gollum/smegal talks to himself how weird and creepy happy reading oh and thanks everyone for the advice on the card went to the B&N again today and saved yeaa!
Contributor
Mstermind1
0 Kudos

It was by luck that I found this group - and I am very excited!

I am a bit different from most of the posts so far --- I actually have never read the LOTR trilogy nor seen the movies.  I am an English teacher of British literature (late in life career change, but that is another story),  and I have taught The Hobbit for 3 years now.

I must confess that I am not a fan of the fantasy genre -- Charles Dickens is more my style -- but the more I read the Hobbit - and the more I study Tolkien - the more fascinated I become.

I so very much look forward to reading all of the insights into this series.

Molly
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Mstermind1 wrote:
It was by luck that I found this group - and I am very excited!
I am a bit different from most of the posts so far --- I actually have never read the LOTR trilogy nor seen the movies. I am an English teacher of British literature (late in life career change, but that is another story), and I have taught The Hobbit for 3 years now.
I must confess that I am not a fan of the fantasy genre -- Charles Dickens is more my style -- but the more I read the Hobbit - and the more I study Tolkien - the more fascinated I become.
I so very much look forward to reading all of the insights into this series.
Molly

Hi Molly,

Welcome to our Tolkien reading group. Don't worry about the fact that you are reading LOTR for the first time. I actually envy you. Most of us have only read it once and only because of the movie and only several years ago. So essentially most of us are reading it for "the first time" as well. As an English teacher of British literature this might be just the thing for you. Tolkien inspired a whole new and more serious fantasy genre and there seems to be a whole category called Tolkien "scholars." But don't be shy about offering your own comments and observation--you will probably be offering a fresh perspective on things.

I'm not a fantasy fan either but decided it was time to find out what it was all about and take it more seriously so I joined that group and ended up in this one. So just enjoy. You will be learning a lot along with the rest of us.

I'm looking forward to your comments.

Please forgive my false post. I meant to click "Automatically convert carriage returns" and hit "Submit Post" by accident before I had time to compose something.
Users Online
Currently online: 28 members 790 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: