Reply
New User
EmeraldTear07
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎03-07-2008
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself

The musical was very well done. Three hours long, including intermissions. It was interactive at times, with some of the actors coming out into the audience...really made you feel like you were there. Each scene, I kept thinking...gosh, how are they going to do such and such...like orcs, treebeard, etc....and then they did. It blew me away. Amazing stunts, amazing special affects, amazing actors...just simply amazing. Love the songs too...worth looking it up on itunes if it is there...if not, the website has some of the music.
 
Anyway, found the books today at a second hand store so starting to catch up! Excited about the discussions!
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - LOTR Musical

LOTR Musical



EmeraldTear07 wrote:
The musical was very well done. Three hours long, including intermissions. It was interactive at times, with some of the actors coming out into the audience...really made you feel like you were there. Each scene, I kept thinking...gosh, how are they going to do such and such...like orcs, treebeard, etc....and then they did. It blew me away. Amazing stunts, amazing special affects, amazing actors...just simply amazing. Love the songs too...worth looking it up on itunes if it is there...if not, the website has some of the music.
Anyway, found the books today at a second hand store so starting to catch up! Excited about the discussions!





There is a CD/DVD out but it doesn't seem to be state-side yet. Here is the track listing.

1. Prologue ('Lasto I Lamath')
2. The Road Goes On
3. Saruman
4. The Cat And The Moon
5. Flight To The Ford
6. The Song Of Hope
7. Star Of Eärendil
8. Lament For Moria
9. The Golden Wood
10. Lothlórien
11. The Siege Of The City Of Kings
12. Now And For Always
13. Gollum/Sméagol
14. The Song Of Hope (Duet)
15. Wonder
16. The Final Battle
17. Epilogue (Farewells)
18. Finale.
19. The Song Of Hope (Duet) (Alternative version) (Bonus Track)
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - LOTR Musical

Ooops. I seem to have messed up the addresses. Here is the Toronto production all together but it is mainly just audio:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lotrtoronto
New User
Talina
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-09-2008
0 Kudos

Hello

I am Talina, from Mexico. I actually started reading Tolkien's work by The Silmarillion! , when I was 18, twelve years ago, a friend of mine (who I could swear is Frodo's long lost twin!) got me started, and gave me the book without so much as a warning as to the extent of the work... I loved it! And I am so glad I read it first, for when i later read The Hobbit and LOTR trilogy, there was so much that I could relate to the "background" that is The Silmarillion. Hello everyone!
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Hello


Talina wrote:
I am Talina, from Mexico. I actually started reading Tolkien's work by The Silmarillion! , when I was 18, twelve years ago, a friend of mine (who I could swear is Frodo's long lost twin!) got me started, and gave me the book without so much as a warning as to the extent of the work... I loved it! And I am so glad I read it first, for when i later read The Hobbit and LOTR trilogy, there was so much that I could relate to the "background" that is The Silmarillion. Hello everyone!





Hi Talina. Now that is an interesting approach and maybe would have worked better for many of us. Most of us started with LOTR and the Hobbit and then tried to tackle the Silmarillion. But it does make sense to do the Silmarillion first before you have any preconceived ideas of LOTR. We will be getting to the Silmarillion after we finish LOTR and for many of us it will be for the first time. Welcome to the group.
New User
con3868
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself

Hi everyone:
 
I first read The Lord of the Rings series when I was in my 20's and have read it a couple of times since.  Of course, I loved the movies.  I'm looking forward to re-reading FOTR and entering in the discussion.
Daisy Brownlock
Frequent Contributor
lorien
Posts: 770
Registered: ‎12-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself



con3868 wrote:
Hi everyone:
I first read The Lord of the Rings series when I was in my 20's and have read it a couple of times since. Of course, I loved the movies. I'm looking forward to re-reading FOTR and entering in the discussion.





Hi Daisy,

Welcome to the group. You are in the right place. Most of us have read LOTR at least once but back when the movie came out. We will be opening up discussions on the first of the movies, Fellowship of the Ring, at the end of the month.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself


con3868 wrote:
Hi everyone:
I first read The Lord of the Rings series when I was in my 20's and have read it a couple of times since. Of course, I loved the movies. I'm looking forward to re-reading FOTR and entering in the discussion.





I see you are a New User. I hope you enjoy your rereading of LOTR with us and I am looking forward to your contributions. We have just opened up discussions of Book 2 of Fellowship of the Ring but the discussions are ongoing and some people are still back at the beginning. In fact some are still on The Hobbit! So feel free to start at the beginning. At the pace we are going you will probably catch up with the front wave of the group in no time. Be sure to check out the topic threads. Anything Tolkien goes in those.
Reader 2
Turtlefark
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎04-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself

Hello all,

My interest in The Lord of the Rings sparked when I first saw the previews for FotR back in '01. I was so excited about the movie that I went out and bought the book and started to read it but found that it was just too difficult for a 10 year old to read. I'm now seventeen years old, have seen the trilogy probably over 100 times now, and am ashamed to say that I still haven't read the book. So, I'm looking forward to reading it for the first time and discussing it with you all.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself

Welcome, you'll have a good time. A few of us get too serious, but we all mean well. Just curious are you starting with the Hobbit or Fellowship? You could get a jump on the forth coming Hobbit movies.
Reader 2
Turtlefark
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎04-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself

That's fine with me :smileyhappy:. I'm actually in the middle of re-reading The Hobbit, but I should be done with that by today, so I'll probably be caught up to you all in a day or two. Oh, and yeah, I can't wait to see how those turn out.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
Posts: 770
Registered: ‎12-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself



Turtlefark wrote:
That's fine with me :smileyhappy:. I'm actually in the middle of re-reading The Hobbit, but I should be done with that by today, so I'll probably be caught up to you all in a day or two. Oh, and yeah, I can't wait to see how those turn out.




Hi Turtlefark. As you go along please let us know what your first impressions are as you read. Many of us tend to get bogged down in the details and lose our perspective. It is always refreshing to see how a new reader might see the story.

At the end of this month we will be watching and talking about the movie, Fellowship of the Ring, so you would be up to your 101st viewing! We wanted to watch and talk about the movie and the differences while the reading was fresh in our mind. There are some differences of "vision" between the two.
Reader 2
Turtlefark
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎04-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]
I'll definitely do that. Awesome, my 101st viewing is gonna be epic :smileyhappy: Quick question: are we watching the extended edition or just the theatrical?

Message Edited by Turtlefark on 04-09-2008 03:16 PM
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself


Turtlefark wrote:
I'll definitely do that. Awesome, my 101st viewing is gonna be epic :smileyhappy: Quick question: are we watching the extended edition or just the theatrical?

Message Edited by Turtlefark on 04-09-2008 03:16 PM




Welcome to the group. Yes, definitely the extended version. I was just about to post something on it in our schedule.
Reader 2
Turtlefark
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎04-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself

Thanks. Sweet, can't wait.
Contributor
yavanna
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎04-17-2008
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself

Hi there :smileyhappy: My name's Jenny! I first started reading LOTR 5-6 years ago after I watched the first instalment of the movies by Peter Jackson. Thereafter, I really fell in love with Tolkien's work and I proceeded to read The Hobbit and then The Silmarillion. I'm ashamed to say that I've only read LOTR once and therefore I consider myself new to Tolkien's work. Really excited about joining you guys and reading the wonderful books again! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
lorien
Posts: 770
Registered: ‎12-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself



yavanna wrote:
Hi there :smileyhappy: My name's Jenny! I first started reading LOTR 5-6 years ago after I watched the first instalment of the movies by Peter Jackson. Thereafter, I really fell in love with Tolkien's work and I proceeded to read The Hobbit and then The Silmarillion. I'm ashamed to say that I've only read LOTR once and therefore I consider myself new to Tolkien's work. Really excited about joining you guys and reading the wonderful books again! :smileyhappy:




Hi, Jenny. You are in the same situation I was when I first started with this group--saw the movie but read The Hobbit and LOTR once. You are one up on me, though, I had never read the Silmarillion. I am starting to tackle that now. Since you have the same back ground in Tolkien as I did, how did you find the silm, especially as a first-time reader? I have read very mixed reactions on this board.
Contributor
yavanna
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎04-17-2008
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself

Hi Lorien :smileyhappy:  Nice to meet you. With regards to reading The Silmarillion, to be honest, I have to admit that it is very difficult to get through the whole book. It is a lot more literary than LOTR. In addition to that, I'm sure you already know that there's a lot of names and places that you have to be familiar with - and this makes the reading all the more difficult (like a real quest :smileywink: ). Having said that, I really do love this book. When you read it, don't think of it as a literature, think of it as you're peering into Tolkien's mind and you're unravelling the creation of Middle Earth as well as all the people (or creatures) in it. The Silmarillion certainly fills in a lot of gaps and it contains A LOT of information on the First Age. I don't really encourage anyone to read this book in one go, I would say, read and plunge into the book slowly, and enjoy seeing Middle Earth dancing alive in front of you again :smileywink:  
Frequent Contributor
lorien
Posts: 770
Registered: ‎12-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself


yavanna wrote:
Hi Lorien :smileyhappy: Nice to meet you. With regards to reading The Silmarillion, to be honest, I have to admit that it is very difficult to get through the whole book. It is a lot more literary than LOTR. In addition to that, I'm sure you already know that there's a lot of names and places that you have to be familiar with - and this makes the reading all the more difficult (like a real quest :smileywink: ). Having said that, I really do love this book. When you read it, don't think of it as a literature, think of it as you're peering into Tolkien's mind and you're unravelling the creation of Middle Earth as well as all the people (or creatures) in it. The Silmarillion certainly fills in a lot of gaps and it contains A LOT of information on the First Age. I don't really encourage anyone to read this book in one go, I would say, read and plunge into the book slowly, and enjoy seeing Middle Earth dancing alive in front of you again :smileywink:





Thanks, Jenny. That does sound like good advice. In my LOTR research efforts I have been "dipping" into it here and there and have found what I did read quite beautiful--at least the beginning stuff. I really thought the Creation Story was one of the most beautiful I have ever read. The later histories were the ones that really lost me. And some of it is pretty dense reading. Maybe I will try the story of Beren and Luthien again now that I am a more seasoned Tolkien reader.
Users Online
Currently online:52 members 392 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: