Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
yavanna
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Reading Group - Introduce Yourself

No Problem Lorien :smileyvery-happy: 

I agree with you on the creation story. It is arguably one of the most beautiful tale ever written imho. This is also why some people gave Silmarillion the title "The 'Bible' of Middle Earth" :smileywink:  Yes, I was kinda lost in the later part too. So once this book club starts on The Silmarillion, it'll be a good chance for me to re-cap hehe! I do own a copy of the Unfinished Tales too, but sad to say that I've just started on the book. I hope I can slowly catch up with you guys because I read quite slow. Thanks for the sharing and I hope I didn't turn this thread into The Silmarillion thread ><

Frequent Contributor
Fanuidhol
0 Kudos

yavanna wrote:

I agree with you on the creation story. It is arguably one of the most beautiful tale ever written imho. This is also why some people gave Silmarillion the title "The 'Bible' of Middle Earth" :smileywink:  Yes, I was kinda lost in the later part too. So once this book club starts on The Silmarillion, it'll be a good chance for me to re-cap hehe! I do own a copy of the Unfinished Tales too, but sad to say that I've just started on the book. I hope I can slowly catch up with you guys because I read quite slow. Thanks for the sharing and I hope I didn't turn this thread into The Silmarillion thread ><

Welcome, Yavanna!  Firstly, don't worry about your reading speed.  The threads can be added to, at any time. 
I am really glad you loved The Silmarillion!!!  The dense material gets easier with each time reading it and reading it in a group is more fun, too!
Fan
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

yavanna wrote:
I agree with you on the creation story. It is arguably one of the most beautiful tale ever written imho. This is also why some people gave Silmarillion the title "The 'Bible' of Middle Earth" :smileywink: Yes, I was kinda lost in the later part too. So once this book club starts on The Silmarillion, it'll be a good chance for me to re-cap hehe! I do own a copy of the Unfinished Tales too, but sad to say that I've just started on the book. I hope I can slowly catch up with you guys because I read quite slow. Thanks for the sharing and I hope I didn't turn this thread into The Silmarillion thread >

Actually, we did have a Silmarillion thread on the old board but it didn't get transfered--but there wasn't much there. We are not scheduled for the Silm yet but I'm beginning to think some discussion of it is a necessity. I know as I read parts of it, I have encountered some minor points that I would not mind bringing up to the group, though mostly they have been within context of other threads.

Message Edited by lorien on 04-18-2008 11:33 AM
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

yavanna wrote:
Hi there :smileyhappy: My name's Jenny! I first started reading LOTR 5-6 years ago after I watched the first instalment of the movies by Peter Jackson. Thereafter, I really fell in love with Tolkien's work and I proceeded to read The Hobbit and then The Silmarillion. I'm ashamed to say that I've only read LOTR once and therefore I consider myself new to Tolkien's work. Really excited about joining you guys and reading the wonderful books again! :smileyhappy:

Welcome to the Tolkien discussion group. Great to see newcomers joining us and providing more points of view on subjects. You seem to be ready for the group -- you read the body of work once and are now ready to delve into the the detail and analysis. I'm looking forward to your comments.
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

Hellop my name is Jean(pronounced John) I first read LOTR at 15 and read it at least twice a year, Ive read the hobbit also and The Silmarillion. I also play Lord of the Rings Online.
On a wing and a prayer.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

macross wrote:
Hellop my name is Jean(pronounced John) I first read LOTR at 15 and read it at least twice a year, Ive read the hobbit also and The Silmarillion. I also play Lord of the Rings Online.

Hi Jean. You must be French. Nice to have you with us. As you can see we tend to take different outlooks on things. After all your readings of LOTR, you will probably like to join some of our numerous subject threads as we explore different aspects of Tolkien's writing. There is a lot to explore here.
New User
Tolkien
0 Kudos

Hi Lorien
You know the Hobbit is coming out on a movie directed by peter jackson and the simirillion
Tolkien is my favorite author as well
Tolkien
One Ring to rule them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to bring them all and in darkness bind them
Frequent Contributor
Fanuidhol
0 Kudos

Hi Jean and Tolkien,
   Please, feel free to join in and post wherever you want to.  Even though we have a schedule of reading, all of our threads stay open forever and can be posted to at any time.  We've covered The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring.  About May 5th we'll start on The Two Towers.
Looking forward to your comments.
Fan
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi Tolkien. Well who would have known that that name was not taken. I guess we finally have Tolkien himself on the board!

Welcome Tolkien. I'm sure you will fit right in! You might give us a bit of information on your background with Tolkien's works. Are you a beginner or have you been reading Tolkien regularly for years now? And what have you read of his? I am sure you will bring some unique perspectives to our group. Hope you enjoy participating.

Message Edited by lorien on 04-29-2008 12:18 PM
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

Lorien haha I am not french, I am Puertorrican, but my full name is french, Jean Pierre.
On a wing and a prayer.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

macross wrote:
Lorien haha I am not french, I am Puertorrican, but my full name is french, Jean Pierre.

How did a Puerto Rican (I can't roll my r's!) acquire a French name?
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

You can thank cosmopolitan for that. :smileywink:
On a wing and a prayer.
New User
LadyKatrina40
0 Kudos

Hello!
I actually signed up for this group and then forgot my sign up information! The Hobbit and LOTR are my favorite books of all time. I vaguely remember reading it in school but I cant be sure. Sometimes youth is wasted on the young!  Anyway, I cant think of a more enjoyable way to spend a lazy spring/summer/autumn/winter evening. 

I recently left a group because of the disparaging remarks made about Christianity and Christ. While I am a Christian, I dont force my beliefs on others. I do however take offense to the way my Saviors name was treated with such open disrespect. So, I decided to look for another group!

I love all things Tolkien. I love reading his biography and watching the DVD's pertaining to his life and work.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Lady Katrina wrote:
Anyway, I cant think of a more enjoyable way to spend a lazy spring/summer/autumn/winter evening.
-----------------------------
And it will take that long at the rate we move! Welcome to our discussion. If you want to start with The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings or just jump in where ever, go right ahead. We basically have two types of threads: the chapter read-alongs where we try to maintain some sort of forward moving schedule and avoid spoilers for those who might be reading the books for the first time. And we have topic threads--lots of those. Anyone can start a topic, so if you don't see a topic you are interested in in our several pages of thread headers, go ahead and start a new one. Most of us just started The Two Towers, but all the other threads are open for discussion, and you will find us going back to them all the time. We have a very loose schedule. After we finish going through LOTR (maybe around next September) we will probably take up the Silmarillion.

We are a very friendly group with very broad interests, so you will find a wide diversity of interests here. We are courteous and respect the opinions of others. I think you will find this an ideal group for discussions of all things Tolkien.

LadyKatrina40 wrote:
Hello!
I actually signed up for this group and then forgot my sign up information! The Hobbit and LOTR are my favorite books of all time. I vaguely remember reading it in school but I cant be sure. Sometimes youth is wasted on the young! Anyway, I cant think of a more enjoyable way to spend a lazy spring/summer/autumn/winter evening.
I recently left a group because of the disparaging remarks made about Christianity and Christ. While I am a Christian, I dont force my beliefs on others. I do however take offense to the way my Saviors name was treated with such open disrespect. So, I decided to look for another group!
I love all things Tolkien. I love reading his biography and watching the DVD's pertaining to his life and work.

New User
LadyKatrina40
0 Kudos

Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to jumping right in. I am also halfway through the Two Towers! I took a side trip back to the Shire last week. For some reason, I wanted to listen to The Hobbit on CD. But I'm back and now I'm ready to make the long trek through Middle Earth!

Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

LadyKatrina40 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to jumping right in. I am also halfway through the Two Towers! I took a side trip back to the Shire last week. For some reason, I wanted to listen to The Hobbit on CD. But I'm back and now I'm ready to make the long trek through Middle Earth!

I actually like listening to these books on CD better than reading the text, though I end up doing both. Tolkien has such a way with language. In the reading you don't pick up the rhythm of the speech, the alliteration, or the sound of the words. I think it is important to hear his languages actually spoken. they suit the personality of the beings associated with the language and each has an individual sound. Plus on the CD you get to hear the songs sung and I think it works well because Inglis is not a professional singer. I even got the CD with Tolkien reading from his own books and singing some of his songs. It is all sorts of fun to hear the master performing his own works.

I have the unabridged Inglis and I think he does an excellent job of creating the different voices. I also have the BBC dramatization, but I haven't warmed up to that yet. It is also very abridged. I think the BBC might have been lots of fun with The Hobbit, though, but it doesn't seem to be available any more.

Which one are you listening to?
New User
LadyKatrina40
0 Kudos

I've done the BBC version of The Hobbit a couple of years ago. I did the LOTR full theatrical version last year. I loved it, it had music and a full cast! The copies I listen to now are from Barnes and Noble. I cant remember the reader.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Hi LadyKatrina40,

Welcome to the Tolkien group. This will be a lovely place to spend the summer. Well, you do seem to be a Tolkien fan so you have come to the right place. I hope you find this reading of LOTR rewarding and I'm looking forward to your insight.
New User
LadyKatrina40
0 Kudos

Thanks for the welcome Barbara! Yes, I am a TRUE fan! Not sure how much insight I will have but I've never been shy of sharing my point of view!

Contributor
tiffanyj031
0 Kudos

Hi all. I am excited to have found this group! I love all of the Tolkien books. I return to them every year or two for another read. Neither my husband nor my kids shares my love of Tolkien, so I am happy to have found this reading group!

Tiffany

Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 699 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: