Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
niki
0 Kudos

Next Book?

I guess this is a message for Paul. It look like you folks are reaching the end of Lord of the Rings. What are you going to do next?
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Next Book?

Niki:

Good question – let me check with the powers that be and I'll get back to you asap.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

The Silmarillion!!
On a wing and a prayer.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

macross wrote:
The Silmarillion!!

I'm game. I haven't read it though I have read some sections of it. It does seem like the logical next step.

Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

lorien wrote:

macross wrote:
The Silmarillion!!

I'm game. I haven't read it though I have read some sections of it. It does seem like the logical next step.

I think somewhere, someone (but I can't find the post now) suggested we do the Silmarillion through to Chapter 21 and then pick up Children of Huron and then finish off the Silmarillion. We did start a disussion on Huron way back in December but didn't get too far. We will have to wait to see what our fearless leader has in mind but we should probably voice our preferences and ideas. I'm pretty open.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I've read "The Sil" twice – it's impressive to say the least. Do you guys think that a book like that would make for lively discussion? I've never tackled a book quite like that as a moderator before – this is some serious territory we're entering into here. (cue scary music...)

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

I think Children of Hurin might be more friendly, sine the "Sil" is kind of a hard read for many.
On a wing and a prayer.
Frequent Contributor
niki
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

I've read "The Sil" twice – it's impressive to say the least. Do you guys think that a book like that would make for lively discussion? I've never tackled a book quite like that as a moderator before – this is some serious territory we're entering into here. (cue scary music...)

Paul 

We seem to have lost many of our "heavy knowledge"  people who would love doing the Sil so I don't know. I gather this is something best done with a group but this group sure need reviving! I'm open to any ideas that might get this group going again. What do you have in mind Paul?

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Hey I'm flexable personally. Just give me a little advanced notice. It's been years since I read Huron, and 18 months since the Sil.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

It looks like after this month, the Tolkien board will roll back into the SF/Fantasy forum so any new featured titles – Orcs, The Sil, etc. – will be featured there.

Depending on what the paranormal fantasy crew decide, I might create a thread in September for Orcs if there's enough interest so if any of you are really excited in this book (like me), please let me know and follow the trail over to Paranormal Fantasy next month. Best!

Paul  

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

So Paul, Tolkien gettting rolled into SF. And so is Paranormal? Or is SF getting rolled into Paranormal?
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

Aww man.
On a wing and a prayer.
Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

It looks like after this month, the Tolkien board will roll back into the SF/Fantasy forum so any new featured titles – Orcs, The Sil, etc. – will be featured there.

Depending on what the paranormal fantasy crew decide, I might create a thread in September for Orcs if there's enough interest so if any of you are really excited in this book (like me), please let me know and follow the trail over to Paranormal Fantasy next month. Best!

Paul

Himm, just when I was getting interested again! I guess that puts us back in the pile. Anyone want to do the silm? How about a chapter a week starting the first week in September? That will give us plenty of extra time to also participate in side discussions such as the Orcs. We would finish up Silm in March.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
So Paul, Tolkien gettting rolled into SF. And so is Paranormal? Or is SF getting rolled into Paranormal?

TiggerBear wrote:

Tigger:

Tolkien is getting rolled into SF/Fantasy. Paranormal Fantasy ain't going anywhere. I think the confusion was that Tolkien was originally begun as a "finite" forum, that is, like Dracula was last year during the month of October.  But because we had planned on doing The Hobbit and LOTR, it became something much deeper and more extensive than a month-long forum. 

Paul 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Himm, just when I was getting interested again! I guess that puts us back in the pile. Anyone want to do the silm? How about a chapter a week starting the first week in September? That will give us plenty of extra time to also participate in side discussions such as the Orcs. We would finish up Silm in March.

Nadine:

I'm all for continuing a thread on the Orcs omnibus, which I believe is now "out."  Let me run this idea up the flagpole...

Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tigger:

Tolkien is getting rolled into SF/Fantasy. Paranormal Fantasy ain't going anywhere. I think the confusion was that Tolkien was originally begun as a "finite" forum, that is, like Dracula was last year during the month of October. But because we had planned on doing The Hobbit and LOTR, it became something much deeper and more extensive than a month-long forum.

Paul

Will SF/Fantasy at least have a featured book for discussion? Right now it is limited to "what are your reading now" and "can you recommend a book"--there are no book discussions. It might be nice to discuss some "classic" SF/Fantasy books since it is imposible in that group to get anyone interested in any one newer book, especially if it is part of a series. It is kind of a "read that on to the next" sort of place and there are not enough people willing to sit still for a discussion never mind reread a book. But they might reread a "classic" and it might draw a good discussion, even from outsiders. How about something like Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea saga? I've never read that but would like to. I don't know but the basic trilogy could probably be done in month. They are not very big books. I just would like something to get my "teeth" into as a discussion.

Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tigger:

Tolkien is getting rolled into SF/Fantasy. Paranormal Fantasy ain't going anywhere. I think the confusion was that Tolkien was originally begun as a "finite" forum, that is, like Dracula was last year during the month of October. But because we had planned on doing The Hobbit and LOTR, it became something much deeper and more extensive than a month-long forum.

Paul

Ah, but the focused discussions of Tolkien did much better than SF/Fantasy. In it's short 8 months of existence, Tolkien got almost 2600 postings while SF/Fantasy has managed all of 1450 is its lifetime of almost two years. Not bad for a "finite" forum planned as a one-month discussion.

Nadine
0 Kudos

There certainly doesn't seem to be a lack of choices in the SF department! Maybe I should "run this up the flag pole" in SF & Fantasy since that is where the future action will be. Some ideas for SF focus books for discussion. I haven't found a good fantasy list yet:

http://www.scifan.com/themes/themes.asp?Th_themeid=86&Page=6&Items=30

More:

http://classics.jameswallaceharris.com/Lists/ByRank.php

A narrower list to work with but all SF:

The Foundation Trilogy
Isaac Asimov
The Demolished Man
Alfred Bester
The Stars My Destination
Alfred Bester
Childhood's End
Arthur C. Clarke
The City And The Stars
Arther C. Clark
Mission Of Gravity
Hal Clement
Starship Troopers
Robert A. Heinlein
Dune
Frank Herbert
A Canticle For Leibowitz
Walter Miller
More Than Human
Theodore Sturgeon
The Time Machine
H. G. Wells
The War Of The Worlds
H. G. Wells

Frequent Contributor
niki
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Nadine:

I'm all for continuing a thread on the Orcs omnibus, which I believe is now "out."  Let me run this idea up the flagpole...

Will all our threads be dumped? It looks like we will still be using them.

Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Actually, I'm not sure why this club is being dumped back into Fantasy and SF. I took a look at the club counts (those that have been around as long as or longer than Tolkien) and they are not geting dumped anywhere that I know of. But look at their message counts.

Crime 1441

Family Room 1502

Book Explorers (though they are trying hard to get something going on their own) 1211

Food & Drink 876

Gardening 710

Jewish Encounters 489

Fantasy & SF 1458

Knitting 576

And then there is Tolkien 2591

Maybe it would be easier to dump Fantasy and SF into Tolkien! I agree, it would be a shame to lose all those quality threads especially since it looks like we will still be posting on those subjects.

Users Online
Currently online: 57 members 1,124 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: