Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Re: Next Book?

I second macross's statement! Aww man.

paulgoatallen wrote:

It looks like after this month, the Tolkien board will roll back into the SF/Fantasy forum so any new featured titles – Orcs, The Sil, etc. – will be featured there.

Depending on what the paranormal fantasy crew decide, I might create a thread in September for Orcs if there's enough interest so if any of you are really excited in this book (like me), please let me know and follow the trail over to Paranormal Fantasy next month. Best!

Paul

Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

niki wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

It looks like after this month, the Tolkien board will roll back into the SF/Fantasy forum so any new featured titles – Orcs, The Sil, etc. – will be featured there.

Depending on what the paranormal fantasy crew decide, I might create a thread in September for Orcs if there's enough interest so if any of you are really excited in this book (like me), please let me know and follow the trail over to Paranormal Fantasy next month. Best!

Paul

Himm, just when I was getting interested again! I guess that puts us back in the pile. Anyone want to do the silm? How about a chapter a week starting the first week in September? That will give us plenty of extra time to also participate in side discussions such as the Orcs. We would finish up Silm in March.

Nadine:

I'm all for continuing a thread on the Orcs omnibus, which I believe is now "out." Let me run this idea up the flagpole...

Will all our threads be dumped? It looks like we will still be using them.

I sure hope the threads are not going to be dumped in the transfer. Many of the discussions we started in these threads will be continued in our discussion of the Silm--and probably more so. Furthermore, as I delve deeper into the Silm, especially it's historical and philosophical underpinnings, I can see reopening some of the chapter discussions under LOTR because now some of these chapter discussions will open up. I specifically see possibilities in the Tom Bombadel chapters of Book 1, the Galadriel Chapters of Book 2, and even the poem of Earendil that we just skimmed over when we read chapter 2 of Book 2.

Also, I see starting some new subject threads. That concept of "The Fall" as it realates to Tolkien, his religious philosophy, Melkor, Sauron, Gensis, Paradise Lost, and the Elves (as depicted in both the Silm AND LOTR) etc. is an excellent possibility. I may be starting one as soon as I have time to look into it a bit more. A "Mythology for England" is another good possiblility.

I can't imagine B&N wanting to destroy one of its most sucessful clubs, but I guess they must have some new directions they want to go in. But then there is the lesson of the Shakespeare group. Totally dead from negligence for about a year and a half and within a couple of weeks of a bit of direction and stimulation, it already shows signs of being one of the most active groups on the board!

Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

lorien wrote:
I second macross's statement! Aww man.

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Hmmm. Are they combining overlaping boards? Like also combining Crime and Mystery or Epics into Classics? And will they be putting Paranormal, Tolkien and Fantasy/SF all together and calling it Paranormal Fantasy? It doesn't make sense unless they think the combined boards will generate more discussion. I think it will get very confusing. Why don't they just move the Tolkien board down to Genre & Ideas and call the board Tolkien, Etc and then we can talk about Orcs or other books on related subjects if we want to. Right now I think we have a pretty full plate with the Silmarillian.

Message Edited by BarbaraN on 08-22-2008 09:32 PM
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

To answer Niki's question, I'm guessing that the Tolkien board will still exist at this http but as far as new discussion topics go, those will be in SF/Fantasy. My reasoning behind this is that last year, I moderated a few "one-month" forums – Stoker's Dracula, Meyer's Eclipse, etc. – and those forums are still there so I'm assuming that the Tolkien board will be there as well.

And don't go freaking out yet because there may a few cool things we can do in the future. I have to run them past my B&N bosses first though... 

And, yes, you're all absolutely right about visitor count, message count, etc. – this forum has been impressively well attended, especially in the very beginning.  I'll keep you posted...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

To answer Niki's question, I'm guessing that the Tolkien board will still exist at this http but as far as new discussion topics go, those will be in SF/Fantasy. My reasoning behind this is that last year, I moderated a few "one-month" forums – Stoker's Dracula, Meyer's Eclipse, etc. – and those forums are still there so I'm assuming that the Tolkien board will be there as well.

And don't go freaking out yet because there may a few cool things we can do in the future. I have to run them past my B&N bosses first though...

And, yes, you're all absolutely right about visitor count, message count, etc. – this forum has been impressively well attended, especially in the very beginning. I'll keep you posted...

Paul

Hi Paul,

So I gather this is a consolidation like British and American Classics under the Classic Banner so there is some sort of focused discussion. The new SF/Fantasy will have some focused discussions All the new stuff will be under the SF/Fantasy Banner, but we won't be losing the Tolkien threads. And you have some new ideas for getting some decent discussions going under the SF/Fantasy Banner. Sounds good to me. I would like to see an actual discussion happening in SF/F. There's a lot of potential in many of the existing groups if they had some direction and there are lots of points of descussion that could be quite interesting under the SF/F banner. The consolidation of groups might be the best strategy to get more participants into a discussion. As I said, I'm just looking for something to get my teeth into.

Message Edited by Nadine on 08-25-2008 05:45 PM
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

And, yes, you're all absolutely right about visitor count, message count, etc. – this forum has been impressively well attended, especially in the very beginning. I'll keep you posted...

Paul

The Dracular and Eclipse forums are not on my board. They are probably in the unreachable "archives." I take it we are on hold until we know where and what we will be.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

What I'm doing as well.
Nadine
0 Kudos

I was all set to get moving on something new but I guest we just have to wait. I wish they would give us some information on what is happening here. A potentially good Silm discussion has just been killed and may never be revived. Too bad.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 716 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: