Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: On the future of this board

Hello, Jon_B ---

I nominate "The Return Of The King" thread(s) to be moved to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Department, in view of the upcoming change-over, as the discussion of that volume is far from complete...

Thank You,

Ardo Whortleberry,

Tolkien Reader

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

oldBPLstackdenizen wrote:

Good Afternoon, Nadine!   ^^^^^^^

Actually, "Ardo Lives"!       >>>>>

And, as Charlie Brown used to often say: "I never know what is going on around here!" ^^^^^

All I know for sure is when I go to the B&N Book Club Site, I do still find a listing for "J.R.R. Tolkien" discussions & then, when I click on that, it takes me to the same familiar site that I know and love, with all the old accumulation of Threads that it had aquired along the way...I have even posted to some of those threads since the announcement of the upcoming Big Change...

I have also managed to find my way over to the Sci/Fi Fantasy boards when replying to that

"Letters Of Tolkien" Thread ( by going through the Tolkien Book Club/"Letters" Thread, and clicking on the link [ the "url" I think it is ] that transports me over there, where I have left a few posts on that subject...

It's true, however, that I'm inept at starting brand-new Threads on my own...

I'm not sure what's been going with  Tigger, she is quite busy right now , perhaps? -

( in my family, as well, there are serious things going on that require attention - and sometimes I'm just off the "Net" for days at a time anyway, - but I do also tend to send in more posts when other folks are also posting more often as well - the more ideas and opinions there are there to "bounce off of",

the more there is to discuss...)

But, I know Dagor likes to take his time and do his research, and only "reports in" with his more "finished" and highly polished works....

In a letter to me, he did state he was still planning more work on the ROTK discussions...

I'm still confused about this whole business, anyway - like the part about being able to post to old Threads

although they are considered "Inactive" ( and what difference that makes )---

Ardo

Very busy Ardo. Sorry everyone.

I am DISAPOINTED that the off topic hasn't been moved. Even a new off topic in S/F would be welcome. Off topic is our community, our warmth. And frankly that a lot of why S/f degrades periodicly is that it has no community. 

WE NEED off topic. Moderators are you listening? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Tigge

Very busy Ardo. Sorry everyone.

I am DISAPOINTED that the off topic hasn't been moved. Even a new off topic in S/F would be welcome. Off topic is our community, our warmth. And frankly that a lot of why S/f degrades periodicly is that it has no community.

WE NEED off topic. Moderators are you listening?

I totally agree. It needs an Off-topic and an Introduce Yourself. You have hit the nail right on the proverbial head. Paranormal has a community, we have a community and all the successful forums have a community but SF/Fantasy has no community--just a bunch of occasional drop ins.

The other problem is it has no focus. Paranormal people, well they are all interested in Paranormal. They have a community and core group that is interested in discussing Paranormal. We were all interested in Tolkien and the discussions tended to be deeper and more scholarly. SF/Fantasy--well some are interested in SF, some are interested in Fantasy (two totally different things), and there are some who are interested in both as there are some that are interested in Paranormal, mysteries and other things, SF/Fantasy is just a hodge-podge of different interests. I don't see how the group can have a focus when it needs to have several things to focus on and a diverse group that has a lot of separate interests and no cohesiveness. They can put in something for everyone but end up with nothing in particular for anyone.It will never be a Paranormal success with all these different interests. And Tolkien will either die there or dominate the board.

Right now it is being pumped up by a lot of outsiders but they can't keep it going forever and many will dwindle away soon.

Message Edited by Nadine on 09-15-2008 11:18 AM
Frequent Contributor
Fanuidhol
0 Kudos

I see that there hasn't been any activity here on the Tolkien board since the "change", except for people reading...

I have decided to "abandon all hope" on the SF&F board, since Paul hasn't made any plans for a Tolkien book as a feature or subfeature.

Fan

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Hello, Fan! ---

I'm not sure if it is necessary to "abandon all hope" - even at this point in the proceedings -

I'm not sure of the precise definition of "Feature" ( or "Subfeature" ) is -

but I do see there are some "open" Tolkien discussions still, in the wilds of the Fantasy/Sci-Fi landscape -

( and there is a "Return Of The King" Thread available, there ) -

also, are we not allowed to "start up" new threads, if we are so inclined?

( I'm thinking about the [Tolkien] "Off-Topic" Thread - or the [Tolkien] "Introduce Yourself" Thread -

topics we discussed here as being essential to our "identity" as Tolkienians and for the cohesiveness of our group ---

I saw your "invitation" - and I'm sure I will come to join your "small" group sometime,

but one thing I like about the B&N format is that I felt that some of the readers of our posts were not

( strictly speaking ) "fans" ( necessarily ) and although we enjoyed having our own little niche here,

we were still part of the "Bigger Picture" at the same time ( of course, the authorities "burying us alive"

does tend to put a damper on things ) ---

Still, I think it might be worth a few more shots to see if we can make this thing work -

( P.S. - tonight was the first time I tried to post to the "dormant" Tolkien Book Club boards -

I wasn't even sure if it was possible to do so, but it did work - there might be a way to maintain activity amongst ourselves on both this "ghost board" and on the "main board" - just a thought - although I realize this is not likely to come about ) ---

Either way, I still hope to be in communication with you, and all our friends, as well....

And, I Have The Honour To Remain,

At Your Service,

Ardo Whortleberry

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
Fanuidhol
0 Kudos

oldBPLstackdenizen wrote:

Hello, Fan! ---

I'm not sure if it is necessary to "abandon all hope" - even at this point in the proceedings -

I'm not sure of the precise definition of "Feature" ( or "Subfeature" ) is -

but I do see there are some "open" Tolkien discussions still, in the wilds of the Fantasy/Sci-Fi landscape -

( and there is a "Return Of The King" Thread available, there ) -

also, are we not allowed to "start up" new threads, if we are so inclined?

( I'm thinking about the [Tolkien] "Off-Topic" Thread - or the [Tolkien] "Introduce Yourself" Thread -

topics we discussed here as being essential to our "identity" as Tolkienians and for the cohesiveness of our group ---

I saw your "invitation" - and I'm sure I will come to join your "small" group sometime,

but one thing I like about the B&N format is that I felt that some of the readers of our posts were not

( strictly speaking ) "fans" ( necessarily ) and although we enjoyed having our own little niche here,

we were still part of the "Bigger Picture" at the same time ( of course, the authorities "burying us alive"

does tend to put a damper on things ) ---

Still, I think it might be worth a few more shots to see if we can make this thing work -

( P.S. - tonight was the first time I tried to post to the "dormant" Tolkien Book Club boards -

I wasn't even sure if it was possible to do so, but it did work - there might be a way to maintain activity amongst ourselves on both this "ghost board" and on the "main board" - just a thought - although I realize this is not likely to come about ) ---

Either way, I still hope to be in communication with you, and all our friends, as well....

And, I Have The Honour To Remain,

At Your Service,

Ardo Whortleberry

Ardo,

I hope you manage to make it work over there. 

But, for myself, I am not going to bother...since I don't have to...I have a place, in cyberspace, dedicated to Tolkien in which I don't have to fight through threads to find ones I'm interested in.  (I do know how to do the 'up carrot' thingy', but I'd still have to work at keeping it current.)

We do not have Paul's support...and frankly, I am annoyed!

Fan

Users Online
Currently online:52 members 500 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: