Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: TTT: Book 3: Chapters 4: Treebeard

^^^^^^^^^^^ SIGH...^^^^^^^^^^

I see that I worded the last part of my second afterthought ambiguously ---
I should have said:
"...and perhaps Frodo himself would have felt more free ( to share his knowledge with the others ) as well..." 
"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

(chuckle) sorry Ardo.
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Hi, TiggerBear!  ---

Actually, I really think Sam's reluctance to inform Merry and Pippin any further ( after he had been caught in the act of spying and eavesdropping by Gandalf ) probably had more to do with Sam's very real fear that Gandalf might actually turn him into a toad ( or something ) if Gandalf ever found out!
After all, Sam had been Merry and Pippin's chief source of information right up until the point where he had been discovered by Gandalf...

Ardo 
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Dear TiggerBear ---

I hope you didn't think I was directing that "Postscript/Correction/Addendum" directly at you. 
I had composed and sent off that "correction" at the very same time you were composing and sending off your comments, apparently!    --- I didn't think that you had misinterpreted what I had said - I simply realized ( as I was reviewing my previous post ) that I had made a grammatical mistake which I felt could cause anybody to find my intended meaning to be unclear...
( and I wrote up my "correction" and sent it before I had a chance to read your comments )
- this might be a case of where the Internet can be almost a little too instantaneous, sometimes!---

I Have The Honor To Remain,
  At Your Service,
Ardo
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Also - yet another lesson to me that I always need to check, double-check and triple-check my compositions the first time, everytime - before I so blithely go ahead and hit that "Submit" button..... 
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

It's cool. I was just trying not to step on your toes.

From a little thought, my own opinions
Frodo kept his silence from some fear; not wanting to drag anyone else into something he truly thought was his burden alone.
Sam I have always thought kept his from class distinction; loyalty to Frodo and the English below stairs attitude of not discussing things with those of a different station. But I have wondered if some reluctance was caused by the age differences of the hobbits.
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: TTT: Book 3: Chapters 1 and 2

Good Afternoon, BarbaraN ---

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say I have the books memorized - although I had read and then re-read them many times...

You will notice that I still flub up sometimes in my recollections of details in the stories -  and I do often need to go back and check up on my "facts" ---
For instance - the time that I claimed Sam was sure to have "blabbed everything" to Merry and Pippin after he had overheard the Big Conversation between Frodo and Gandalf...
I still think my premise about Pippin and Merry being in a lot of that "inside information" ( by one means or another ) is sound - but I did forget that detail...

Concerning that business with Gollum and Bilbo - I think maybe Gollum's unfamiliarity with Bilbo being a hobbit was more just "right off the bat" - when Bilbo was the first hobbit he would have encountered after having been self-imprisoned down in that underground lagoon in the dark for so many countless years - his only contact with other beings occuring when he was hungry and needed to eat them...
As Bilbo and Gollum got further along into their "Riddle Game" - it began to stir long-buried memories in the recesses of Gollum's mind of the time so far back in his past when he still lived above ground in the light of day and amongst others of his kind.

Also, in [ H ] - the narrator says "He doesn't really know what kind of creature Gollum was - or where he came from" ( I paraphrased ) ---
But, in LOTR, it is explained that Smeagol/Gollum came from a very "hobbit-like" people - sort of distantly related to the Shire-folk, but not exactly hobbits, necessarily.
So, I don't think JRRT had necessarily concieved of Gollum as once having been a hobbit originally  when he was writing [ H ] -and may have developed this history afterwards - to tie in with the LOTR  stories.
I'm just guessing, however, as I have not read the books concerning Tolkien's development of [ H ] ---

Ardo Whortleberry 
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 291 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: