Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: TTT: Book 4, Chapters 4. Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

TiggerBear wrote:
I think at these times in the story, even though they might be travelling at times in the daytime ( I think possibly they still prefer to do most of their travelling at night, and sleep in the morning - perhaps start their travels again in the late afternoon? ) - they are still travelling in the "shadow" of the mountains - and still are trying to take advantage of as many opportunities as they can to remain "hidden" - for instance, trying to stay
concealed under the tree-growth or in small caves or where-ever they might be less conspicuous...
certainly I can't picture them strolling down the "open road" under a full, bright noon-time sun, for sure...
a situation which would still have been totally disagreeable to our shade-favoring friend, Smeagol...
-------------------------------------------------------------
Wasn't the sky overcast anyway? Ever seen footage of an active volcano? Awful look of smoke and gas in the surrounding country side, especially if there is no prevailing wind.

I just doubt it was a bright sun shinny day.

Yes, but at this point they were still on the western side of the mountains of Mordor -and that completely polluted atmosphere [ with the volcano at its center ] of Mordor itself still seems to be more or less contained
[ sort of "fenced in' ] by the perimeter of its own fortress-like mountain walls that surround it...
Ithilien is still referred to as "Fair Ithilien", in spite of its close proximity to dark Mordor...
However, the Dark Lord is brewing up his "Cloud of Darkness" to overshadow his minions as they march towards Minas Tirith - and to throw fear and despair into the hearts of the inhabitants of the city...
And, of course, dark clouds and storms and such would still seem likely to be hovering about in the vicinty of Mordor, anyway, so it would seem quite plausible that it was overcast much of the time when Frodo, Sam & Gollum were travelling through that area... I really got to catch up on my reading, so I re-check-up on some of these details! ( so I can know for certain just how it was ) ---     Ardo 
"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 563 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: