Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

TTT: Peter Jackson Movie: The Two Towers

June 16-29
TTT: Peter Jackson Movie: The Two Towers (extended version preferred)

We can start the movie at any time but you might want to wait until you have finished the book. We have two weeks to finish off the book and watch and discuss the movie and the extra features. So take your time.

If you don't have the movie yet, you might want to consider ordering it now. You can get the theatrical version for around $12 but the extended version is so much better and is only around $20. It is a four disk set and that is a real bargain at $5 a disk and has a lot of footage that was deleted from the theatrical version. We can also talk about the "extras" that cover the making the making of the movie. These only come with the extended version and are quite interesting.

In July we will be starting The Return of the King.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Re: TTT: Peter Jackson Movie: The Two Towers

I started watching this movie last night. I have seen it before but I sure had a radical perspective change after finishing the book. My concept of what was in the book had been originally influenced (I would say overpowered) by the more recent viewing of the movie. So I tended to "remember" the book as depicted in the movie. But in fact, the movie is a significant reinvention.

This was, of course, noticeable somewhat in the Fellowship movie but the deviations such as the cutting of large portions, the addition of the love story, some alterations in plot and character, and some other plot modifications were still reconcilable to the original book. In the Two Towers, there is a totally new story. The same major characters are there but some of their characteristics and interpretations are radically changed. The major events are the same but many of the events in-between and the development and reconciliation of the events are quited different.

Rather than belabor the issue that the movie isn't like the book and therefore inferior, I will stay with my original assumption that they are both based on the "Matter of Middle-earth" and so each has taken different approaches and applied different interpretation to the same "fragmented legendary" tales. There are some things about the book that I like better, somethings about the movie that I like better, and something, though done radically differently, I like in both.

Also, unlike the Fellowship that split along the same lines of Book 1 and Book 2, The Two Tower movie intermixes both Book 3 and 4 creating a similar time-line between the two--something I did like better in the movie.

I will have more specific things to say once I have finished the movie.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Yeah, I'd have to agree the second movie is the worst hash up of all the books.
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Hi, lorien ---

[ Stepping into the "Waybac" Time Machine, again...]
In High School, I had an aquaintance ( of several years already ) - who was once in the middle of a conversation with some other "fellows" - revolving around LOTR...
His summation of how he felt about the second "book" in "The Two Towers"
[ which, of course, deals almost completely alone with our three weary wanderers, Frodo, Sam and Gollum ]
was that it was kind of boring - or at least, that it made him feel very impatient...
"I kept wanting to get back to 'The West' and find out what was happening there..." he said.

In all my day-dream imaginings of how a LOTR movie might turn out - I always felt there could be no other way to arrange it than to be frequently "switching back and forth" between the scenes involving the rest of
The Fellowship ( which do tend to involve much more "activity" - a tremendous battle-scene - more new characters - more excitement in general ) --- Which also makes more sense in lining all the events up in a more coherent/contiguous framing for the chronology of events ...
[ and also, so everyone did not nod off to sleep in the "second half" of the story, which tends to be a little drearier and more depressing than the "first half" ] ---

And of course, the movie-makers saw that there was no other way to do it, as well...
But there did seem to a goodly amount of "inventing" going on in the movie-version - especially with all those momentuous events going on in "The West" -- whereas exciting stuff that was already "in there"
[ in the first half of TTT ] got cut out somehow. I think on the whole it was still pretty well done, but there was an awful lot of "jazzing it up" going on there, too - I guess maybe they wanted to make sure all the viewers got more "Bang for their Bucks" ---

Ardo

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Does anyone else think, that the bits cut from the theatrical release are what would have made it a much greater film? Honestly, the parts I wanted to see in the theater from the book, I had to wait for this DVD for.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
Does anyone else think, that the bits cut from the theatrical release are what would have made it a much greater film? Honestly, the parts I wanted to see in the theater from the book, I had to wait for this DVD for.

Right now I don't remember the theatrical version. But looking at the TOC for the extended version and what was added and expanded, I wonder how they ever ended up with a viable movie in the theater. These additions were really important sections that added continuity to the film, expanded on the plot and the characters and added some background information or atmosphere. But I have to admit, I don't think I could have sat still that long in a theater. I haven't even watched a full movie through in my own home in a comfortable recliner with all the popcorn I can eat!
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

I'm really having a hard time coming up with some sort of discussion on the book and the movie together. They are just so different from one another. I can mention some things that did bother me. I liked the character of Faramir as he was depicted in the book. I didn't like his "eager to please dad" weakness in the movie so much so that he was going to turn over the Ring to him.

The other thing that bothered me was Frodo's treatment of Sam on the Stairs of Cirith Ungol. I know Jackson was having the Ring exerting a much stronger influence over Frodo and corrupting and tempting him more. But even at that, I could not see Frodo behaving that cruelly toward his faithful Sam. Frodo never behaved that cruelly toward anyone -- even Gollum. But also, I had difficulty with Sam actually leaving him. I think our Sam may have done as Frodo told him and withdrew himself to head home but I think he would have decided to follow along at a distance just out of loyalty.
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

I agree with all your observations here Ardo. I did prefer the mixing of the timelines in the movie rather than having the first part focus on the Fellowship and the second part on Frodo and Sam. It was kind of letdown to go from lots of action in the first part to virtually no action in the second the way the book was organized. I also like the idea of keeping the time lines in sync so we could see what was happening to Sam and Frodo at the same time things were happening in the outside world of men. It gave me a better perspective on how things were progressing. And I wasn't going to sit down and try to match up the moon phases in each book to get a chronology! :smileywink:

And I do think the movie had to deliver more action to satisfy the audience, especially since there wasn't a lot in the Fellowship movie. There was even an extra big battle for Osgilliath with another threat by the Black Riders to Frodo. I guess that is why my impression of the later movies was a lot of battles when there really wasn't all that many in the books.

As far as "inventing" was concerned, there was a whole lot of that! Except for the major characters and major events in common, they were two totally different stories. And even the major characters had different personalities and different problems.

I suppose if we had more time, it might be interesting to discuss a lot of the changes. But there is just too much to even begin a discussion in the week available. Maybe the next time around.

oldBPLstackdenizen wrote:
Hi, lorien ---
[ Stepping into the "Waybac" Time Machine, again...]
In High School, I had an aquaintance ( of several years already ) - who was once in the middle of a conversation with some other "fellows" - revolving around LOTR...
His summation of how he felt about the second "book" in "The Two Towers"
[ which, of course, deals almost completely alone with our three weary wanderers, Frodo, Sam and Gollum ]
was that it was kind of boring - or at least, that it made him feel very impatient...
"I kept wanting to get back to 'The West' and find out what was happening there..." he said.
In all my day-dream imaginings of how a LOTR movie might turn out - I always felt there could be no other way to arrange it than to be frequently "switching back and forth" between the scenes involving the rest of
The Fellowship ( which do tend to involve much more "activity" - a tremendous battle-scene - more new characters - more excitement in general ) --- Which also makes more sense in lining all the events up in a more coherent/contiguous framing for the chronology of events ...
[ and also, so everyone did not nod off to sleep in the "second half" of the story, which tends to be a little drearier and more depressing than the "first half" ] ---
And of course, the movie-makers saw that there was no other way to do it, as well...
But there did seem to a goodly amount of "inventing" going on in the movie-version - especially with all those momentuous events going on in "The West" -- whereas exciting stuff that was already "in there"
[ in the first half of TTT ] got cut out somehow. I think on the whole it was still pretty well done, but there was an awful lot of "jazzing it up" going on there, too - I guess maybe they wanted to make sure all the viewers got more "Bang for their Bucks" ---
Ardo

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Am I the only one who has both versions?
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Good Afternoon lorien ---

I suppose there just isn't enough time to do a full-scale "side-by-side" comparison of the Book TTT and the Movie TTT, at the moment, but I do just want to bring up something that I had mentioned before, and which I had promised to return to at the appropriate time (  and that time is now, so.... ) ---

This concerns the movie version's extra added emphasis on the idea of "the little people" ( the hobbits ) taking a personal hand in affecting the course of events in the midst of all the tremendous occurences going on about them...
In the book, Treebeard and the Ents make their own decision to take on Saruman at Orthanc...
They decide ( during the Entmoot ) that they are indeed, "going to war"...
In the movie, we have Merry encouraging Treebeard to go by way of Orthanc - almost "tricking" Treebeard into going that way - so that Treebeard can see for himself just how awful Saruman's destruction of the forest has been, thereby causing Treebeard to want to go to war ( after Treebeard has stated that the Ents have already decided NOT to go to war! ) ---
So, "Merry takes a hand"...

That little side trip to Osgiliath ( in the movie ) had me aghast and agape with disbelief - the whole idea of it
made little sense - and, when it was over, still left us with Frodo, Sam and Gollum "out in the open" - needing to get back to the relative safety of the mountain-sides, where they could at least stay hidden as they were trying to find their way into Mordor...  

A.W.
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
Am I the only one who has both versions?

Last weekend, I was in a brand-new bookstore, and I asked to look at the "Extended Version" [ which happened to be locked up behind glass ] -- Eighty Bucks! Yipes! ...And, actually, I must confess, I am really only interested in viewing those extra "added" scenes - I'm not all that interested in all that "behind-the-scenes" material...   

Ardo

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Last weekend, I was in a brand-new bookstore, and I asked to look at the "Extended Version" [ which happened to be locked up behind glass ] -- Eighty Bucks! Yipes! ...And, actually, I must confess, I am really only interested in viewing those extra "added" scenes - I'm not all that interested in all that "behind-the-scenes" material...  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tigerdirect $29.99 to $19.99 (depending on which week you buy it) + plus shipping 

Bestbuy $24.99 + shipping

Circut city online $29.99 + shipping (buy their ship is cheaper)

Walmart online $29.99 + shipping

Ebay from $17 to $30 + shipping (some will ship free)

If the internet is worth anything, it cheaper shopping. 

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Hi, TiggerBear ---

Well, thanks for all the heads ups, but being the stone-age barbarians that we are in this household, we never buy anything over the Internet. We plan to someday, after we procure one of those "disposable" credit cards... In the meanwhile, I'm hoping they just get some of the "Extended" versions in at the Library, or at least at one of those rental places...

It's funny, though, but the longer I've been away from the movie versions, ( and the more we have all been discussing the books here ) the more the "spell" of the movies begins to fade, as well as the "envisionings" of Middle Earth ( provided by the movies ) - and they tend to get replaced  by my own original perceptions and imaginings of the stories... 

One aspect of the movie version which I have been wanting to discuss is the way some of the Orcs were "presented" or "visualized" in the movie [ but mainly in FOTR & TTT ] - and I'm sure this was the same in the Extended version as it was in the Theatrical version -

I'm thinking only about Saruman's Uruk-Hai orcs...

I suppose the movie conception of what they should look like is just as "valid" as any other -

but there was just something about them that always struck a sour note ( to my mind ) -

They always looked too "human" to me ( in spite of being "monstrous" ) and at the same time sort of

"gorilla-like"  as well - I was much happier with the way the other orc characters were depicted in the rest of the movie...

I would have preferred if the Uruk-Hai orcs had looked more like your "average, typical" orc, except a bigger, brawnier version thereof...

Ardo

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ardo 

There is way not using a credit card to safely shop online, message me if you want to know it.

(chuckle) stoneage no?, copper age mabey. 

Users Online
Currently online:7 members 282 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: