Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Early Chapters Discussion: Pulling the Trigger

Ronnie mentions being able to use a gun. Do you think she would have been able to shoot Scott Early?

Note: This discussion topic is particularly suitable for readers who have only read the first part of Cage of Stars, through the end of Chapter Seven. If you wish to discuss plot elements introduced later in the book, consider posting in a separate thread.

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: Pulling the Trigger

Things happened so silently and quickly , that I think even if she had had a gun and saw him, I dont know if she could have with the shock of it all. Religion-wise, there is nothing in her religion to say she did not have the right to defend her sisters or herself by shooting him. I dont know. I don't think Ronnie is the type even to be able to say yes or no, unless it happened that way. She may say yes but I think thats one of those things you don't know till it happens. I understand her desperate desire to have been able to do something and the feelings of guilt at not being able to. You know, in a way, I think Ronnie is the type who in a second, could have realised if she shot (especially with a shotgun) she could have hit her own sisters and so maybe if she had had a gun, she may have just ran at him with it and hit him with it, or jumped on him trying to fight him off. Hard to say. Just hard to feel the guilt over not being able to do anything and a heck of a lot for a young girl to carry around with her all the time.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
JackieM01
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: Pulling the Trigger/of course

Ronnie thinks she would have defended her sisters. I believe that she would have had the presence of mind to do so, and have shot to kill. But, you see, the circumstances prevented that. By the time Ronnie would have been able to use her father's shotgun, her sisters already were dead. She would not have shot Scott Early as he sat on the picnic table.
Jackie M.
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: Pulling the Trigger/of course

This is making me think of something, Jackie, that you say in the audio interview you did for us with Steve Bertrand. He asked you what you thought about some writers saying that they create their characters and then the characters just go where they want to. You laughed and said in no uncertain terms that you are "the boss" of your characters. Those circumstances mean everything, after all, in terms of the novel -- just as they do in life.

JackieM01 wrote:
Ronnie thinks she would have defended her sisters. I believe that she would have had the presence of mind to do so, and have shot to kill. But, you see, the circumstances prevented that. By the time Ronnie would have been able to use her father's shotgun, her sisters already were dead. She would not have shot Scott Early as he sat on the picnic table.
Jackie M.

Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 606 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: