Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
JackieM01
0 Kudos

GREETINGS AND SALUTATIONS

Readers who love a tale of excitement, heartache, mystery, courage and controversy, gather around.
I hope you'll find all that and more in our online discussions about my novel CAGE of STARS, the story of a protected young Mormon girl struggling to recover her center and keep her sanity after the murder of her younger sisters.
All readers are welcome and I want to extend a special invitation to high school and college readers (grab your mom or dad's book!) since this novel recently was named by the New York Public Library as one of the 2007's best books for young adults and teenagers.
Ronnie Swann is one of my favorite recent characters: Her quiet courage and sorely tested faith were a witness to me as I wrote about her, as were her confusion, her humor and compassion.
But she's not perfect, nor is anyone in her family.
The Swanns are a family caught in a world they never dreamed and, as any of us might in the same terrible straits, their emotions and convictions swing widely from one extreme to the other.
CAGE of STARS is a story of love under fire, true; but it's also a tale of suspense that builds to a startling and unexpected climax.
Join me in the CAGE of STARS, starting Monday, right here.
yours,

Jacquelyn Mitchard
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: GREETINGS AND SALUTATIONS

Jackie,
I read a lot but not too many novels but i must say, you got me from the prologue with the style of it. You do a wonderful job too of making me believe this is a teenager talking and for such a serious subject, yes her view of the world and humor did make me laugh at times too. I do love real life murder mysteries and court dramas, so when i saw this, i thought i would give it a try. Great book,first one I read through in one reading in ages! I have questions and comments that will come later as to not be spoilers. Also I am a mormon too and hey, other than a couple of things that arent quite right, great great job of adding that aspect in to Ronnie's character. I have thought of a few teenage girls at church who would love this book too, (as you mentioned about teenagers). Glad you will be around for questions. :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
New User
Qwietpleez
0 Kudos

I'm looking forward to curling up with my new book and losing myself in words. I have confidence that I will not want to put it down until it's conclusion. I doubt the kids will allow me that luxury though. Hope to talk to you soon, stop by Whispers and say hello . . .
~ Speak with your heart and I will hear you ~
Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

Hi Jackie!

I'm so excited to be doing this book again. My "life" just didn't let me jump in last July. I'm looking forward to great discussions.

KathyH
[hasenbein - long story]
Author
JackieM01
0 Kudos

Re: Errors

I KNOW there are a few things that aren't right, that are corrected in subsequent editions. CAREFULLY corrected. The intent was never to offer offense, as I think you know. As for capturing a teen's voice, it's remarkably easy if you think back to your former self.
yours,
Jackie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Errors

JackieM01 wrote:
I KNOW there are a few things that aren't right, that are corrected in subsequent editions. CAREFULLY corrected. The intent was never to offer offense, as I think you know. As for capturing a teen's voice, it's remarkably easy if you think back to your former self.
yours,
Jackie

Jackie,
As a Mormon, like i said, the things that weren't quite right, don't harm the story at all AND I found NO offense in them at all :smileyhappy: A couple of things, some people may find a bit curious and may be what you are talking about correcting but we can talk about that when we get to that part of the book. It's a great book and yeah,I did love you talking from a teenagers point of view and yes I remember my own years hehe, thats what makes it both sad but also humorous at times to adults too and a really good read. It is nice to see a book about things that can happen in the world and do, and just happens to set it up with a mormom girl and backdrop. We are not the cloistered little group some people think. After all there are over 12 million members lol, so nice to see us in something good too that isn't "about" mormons but is just about a mormon going through a tragedy too. You did a very good job and i really like your writing style, so yeah, I may have to check out some of your other books too and get out of some "non-fiction" once in awhile lol. :smileyhappy: Vivian
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
JackieM01
0 Kudos

Re: GREETINGS AND SALUTATIONS/hello quiet

I know you from elsewhere. What are you impressions so far?
Jackie M.
Author
JackieM01
0 Kudos

Re: Mormon misconceptions

People do believe Mormons and quiet and meek and live in little beige houses. ANYTHING BUT. When I spent two weeks living with a Mormon family, I had to revise my expectations about music, makeup and many other things FAR from what I would have thought even Ronnie's quite liberal parents would have considered appropriate.
Jackie M.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Mormon misconceptions

I am enjoying your book, too. IT's as if she is pouring her heart out as she tells her story. The descriptive writing reminds me of my Morman friend who lives out in the country ... the simple life. Her church is her family and her community, just like Ronnie's. I feel the closeness of the families in your book. I live near a big city, and Morman's are not looked upon favorably. They are misunderstood. I like how Ronnie describes her life. Well done!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Mormon misconceptions/country and cities

cindersue wrote:
I am enjoying your book, too. IT's as if she is pouring her heart out as she tells her story. The descriptive writing reminds me of my Morman friend who lives out in the country ... the simple life. Her church is her family and her community, just like Ronnie's. I feel the closeness of the families in your book. I live near a big city, and Morman's are not looked upon favorably. They are misunderstood. I like how Ronnie describes her life. Well done!

Does your friend live in a small mormon community in the country or just have a place in the country with a good mormon "family" around? I think some people think all mormons live in some small secluded country area sometimes lol. I think that the PBS special at the end of the month that is mentioned on a thread here that i started and one of the mods posted the website for info on the special will help alot with that. I hope anyway, I have not seen it yet myself. I have a lifelong friend who I do not get to see these days who lives far off near a big city like you who is not mormon and tho we didnt grow up together or have a long time together, i still consider it a lifelong friendship and I know she lives where there are a lot of misconceptions about us. I regret all the time we had together when i didnt explain to her more about it. She would have really known me better and when she had to go away, she would have known that i love her very dearly and and always will. I still do geneology for her family in hopes of one day of having consent to do something very very special in the temple for her ancestors that I never got to talk enough about to her or have her just say do it! whether she believed it or not. It was going to be at act of love for her family from me. See, this book and club can make you think about all kinds of grief for things gone wrong or left undone :smileywink:. Maybe one day she or someone in her family will say, i dont know if i believe any of that stuff, but if you really feel it that much, JUST DO IT, and i will accept it as an act of love, even if its just not needed in the end.

Isnt this one of the best books you have read in awhile at drawing you into Ronnie's life and feeling her grief and young years AND for me, a sense of forboding.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

My friend lives out in the country, with a good Mormon community around. We all grow up with our own religious beliefs. Some people can explain their beliefs easier than others. I think all religions are interesting. Mormon's have always been a curious group. I'm glad that Ronnie can explain her way of life thru her story. I am enjoying reading about Ronnie and at times find myself with tears in my eyes as I read along. I am not as far along as most of you ... so I must get off here and read some more before bed. I don't want to put the book down!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
My friend lives out in the country, with a good Mormon community around. We all grow up with our own religious beliefs. Some people can explain their beliefs easier than others. I think all religions are interesting. Mormon's have always been a curious group. I'm glad that Ronnie can explain her way of life thru her story. I am enjoying reading about Ronnie and at times find myself with tears in my eyes as I read along. I am not as far along as most of you ... so I must get off here and read some more before bed. I don't want to put the book down!

I am glad you are enjoying the book, i thought you might. So am I.
Vivian
Author
JackieM01
0 Kudos

Re: Mormon misconceptions/Provo

My friend for whom I sort of wrote this book, lives in Provo, where her husband is a professor at BYU. She is a homemaker, raising the last of their nine children still at home. Yes, count 'em, nine!
Jackie M.
I do know people who are very like the Swans and who live in places like the one described in the book.
Frequent Contributor
lepking
0 Kudos

Re: Audio tapes vs. written word

My mother is blind and listens to books on tape. She is 94 and is quite fiesty, but her memory is failing a little. She listened to "Cage. . . " and enjoyed it very much. How does everyone feel about audio vs reading? I listened in the car, but found that I missed seeing the words and going back over parts that were especially meaningful, like the part where Ronnie's older friend helped her with the make-up, showed her that extra attention and made her feel special. When my daughter died, a friend came over and planted petunias and pansies in my yard while I was away - there were many acts of kindness, but that was one of the kindest things anyone did for me.
lepking
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

lepking wrote:
My mother is blind and listens to books on tape. She is 94 and is quite fiesty, but her memory is failing a little. She listened to "Cage. . . " and enjoyed it very much. How does everyone feel about audio vs reading? I listened in the car, but found that I missed seeing the words and going back over parts that were especially meaningful, like the part where Ronnie's older friend helped her with the make-up, showed her that extra attention and made her feel special. When my daughter died, a friend came over and planted petunias and pansies in my yard while I was away - there were many acts of kindness, but that was one of the kindest things anyone did for me.

I think books on tape will vary from book to book as far as the effectiveness. The reader getting the story across is the biggest contribitor to the liking of a book on tape. I drive about an hour to visit a friend maybe once a month and enjoy a book on tape each time I go. I have read some I do like and can really concentrate on and then some that I can't do well with. Julia Glass's latest book was really good on tape but The lighthouse by Nicklas Sparks, I didn't really enjoy on tape. I also enjoyed Few Pleasaures by Elizabeth Berg was excellant on tape. That was my favorite. But all in all I believe that it depends solely on the reader to have the ability to awaken you to each word by the sound of their voice. all three of these books to me wre excellent and the one by N.Sparks, I bought the book and read and loved it.
But you are right, reading on tape is wonderful for those who are visioned impaired.
When I had my mom in this life, I bought her books of the bible on tape, her vision was impaired due to a stroke. She enjoyed it alot of the time also.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

lepking wrote:

I think books on tape will vary from book to book as far as the effectiveness. The reader getting the story across is the biggest contribitor to the liking of a book on tape. I drive about an hour to visit a friend maybe once a month and enjoy a book on tape each time I go. I have read some I do like and can really concentrate on and then some that I can't do well with. Julia Glass's latest book was really good on tape but The lighthouse by Nicklas Sparks, I didn't really enjoy on tape. I also enjoyed Few Pleasaures by Elizabeth Berg was excellant on tape. That was my favorite. But all in all I believe that it depends solely on the reader to have the ability to awaken you to each word by the sound of their voice. all three of these books to me wre excellent and the one by N.Sparks, I bought the book and read and loved it.
But you are right, reading on tape is wonderful for those who are visioned impaired.
When I had my mom in this life, I bought her books of the bible on tape, her vision was impaired due to a stroke. She enjoyed it alot of the time also.

I love books, because I tend to write all in them. I highlight, I take notes, I write impression lol. When I die, if anyone wanted to know much about me, check out what books I own and flip through them to see what i wrote in them. Some passages, I like to go back and read again and again. Not so much with novels but many books. I have never heard a novel on tape, could be interesting. You mentioned getting your mom the bible on tape, I did buy all the scriptures on tapes and this one guy who reads them, man he puts good emphasis on things that should be. I read along with the tape and I get through so much more and get so much more out of them because he reads so well, its like following a really good story straight through. I stop at places to mark something in my book but you know how sometimes scriptures can be hard to read or follow without going back and rereading several verses, that doesnt happen with me when I listen to them and read along, it just flows. Actually, I dont do it as much anymore, its like I have picked up the rythm better now but sometimes I do, just because I love the way he reads them. I think his name is Campbell or something close to that.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

lepking wrote:
My mother is blind and listens to books on tape. She is 94 and is quite fiesty, but her memory is failing a little. She listened to "Cage. . . " and enjoyed it very much. How does everyone feel about audio vs reading?

I prefer reading to listening to a book on tape, because more is left to my imagination. However, I have been spending 2 hrs/day driving my daughter to and from school and audio books have helped me deal with the boredom, especially the leg of the trip when I am alone in the car. In the case of an audio book, I think the effectiveness of the narrator is crucial. I especially like books narrated by the author. I enjoyed listening to Stephen Covey's
"Seven Habits of Highly Effective People," (not sure that's the exact title) and I am now listening to Sidney Poitier's memoirs. Both of these audiobooks are author narrated and quite good.

Janet aka homereader
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

AHA.........I was just looking at the description of "Theory of Relativity" by Jackie and realized that I had listened to it on CD.
Yes, I loved it, and yes, it was narrated by Jackie, the author.
That makes all the difference. Thanks for entertaining me on my repetitive daily commute, Jackie.

Janet aka homereader.......in this case, "commuterlistener!"
Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

Hi Janet,

I use audio CDs to put me to sleep! My favorite are the Rex Stout and Diane Mott Davidson series. By listening to the CDs I stop thinking and just relax and listen. If I fall asleep before the CD finishes, I just start it again where I remember.

I would think audio books would be wonderful for people who travel, whether to and from work or on vacation.

KathyH
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

homereader wrote:

lepking wrote:
My mother is blind and listens to books on tape. She is 94 and is quite fiesty, but her memory is failing a little. She listened to "Cage. . . " and enjoyed it very much. How does everyone feel about audio vs reading?

I prefer reading to listening to a book on tape, because more is left to my imagination. However, I have been spending 2 hrs/day driving my daughter to and from school and audio books have helped me deal with the boredom, especially the leg of the trip when I am alone in the car. In the case of an audio book, I think the effectiveness of the narrator is crucial. I especially like books narrated by the author. I enjoyed listening to Stephen Covey's
"Seven Habits of Highly Effective People," (not sure that's the exact title) and I am now listening to Sidney Poitier's memoirs. Both of these audiobooks are author narrated and quite good.

Janet aka homereader

I also prefer reading and have only had a few books on CD. Some were good and some I couldn't finish. One was an author I adore but her books are funny and the reader couldn't quite pull it off. It ruined it for me so I will reread that one myself. I do have some driving to do by myself so I'm taking advantage of it and I picked up two of Jackie's books on CD that I haven't read yet. Thanks for the recommendation Janet. I look forward to listening to them.
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 658 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: