Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Introductions

Here's a thread where we can introduce ourselves. One question: is this the first of Jacquelyn Mitchard's novels for you? Which others have you read?
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions

Hello Jacquelyn; I was in the last two bookclubs of your books. I was expecting a brand new book, but hey, this book was super and is well worth discussing again.I am Linda from Va. if you remember me, I have gotten several emails from you. Really enjoyed them. See you next week. This will be fun!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hi,my name is Vivian. I hail from Oklahoma. I am usually not much of a novel reader but have tried a couple now. When I saw the subject matter of this book, it intrigued me. When I began to read it, wow, I couldnt put it down and although I have heard others say this about some novels, this is the first one that I read all day straight through. Its a great book and if any of you are in here after reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter two months ago, I think you will find this a much better book. The style in which it is written, and the story, take you on a journey first hand thats really something. Also, I am Mormon, and I have to say, Mitchard did a pretty good job at most things brought up about it and how a teenager may see things as even she is learning too. Especially in a small town in Utah. There were a few things not quite right, but nothing that will deter from the story at all and the story is great. Looking forward to much discussion and I will be very very careful about posting anything that might be a SPOILER, since i have finished the book :smileyhappy:.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi All!

I'm really looking forward to this discussion. I'm almost finished with the book and I love it. Although it's very sad, it's still so interesting. The Deep End Of The Ocean was my first Jacquelyn Mitchard read and I liked that one also.

I have three teenagers that keep me going with their busy social lives. I still seem to read every chance I get. I always have fun participating in this club and chatting with all of the great people I have met so far.

Debbie

Message Edited by Wrighty on 04-02-200701:08 AM

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

to Vivian

vivico1 wrote:
Hi,my name is Vivian. I hail from Oklahoma. I am usually not much of a novel reader but have tried a couple now. When I saw the subject matter of this book, it intrigued me. When I began to read it, wow, I couldnt put it down and although I have heard others say this about some novels, this is the first one that I read all day straight through. Its a great book and if any of you are in here after reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter two months ago, I think you will find this a much better book. The style in which it is written, and the story, take you on a journey first hand thats really something. Also, I am Mormon, and I have to say, Mitchard did a pretty good job at most things brought up about it and how a teenager may see things as even she is learning too. Especially in a small town in Utah. There were a few things not quite right, but nothing that will deter from the story at all and the story is great. Looking forward to much discussion and I will be very very careful about posting anything that might be a SPOILER, since i have finished the book :smileyhappy:.

Hi Vivian,

I also loved the book and I was intrigued with the description of the Mormon way of life. I don't know much about it and reading this story made me want to learn more. The Swan family was so loving and their whole community was close knit.

I'm so glad you're joining this discussion. I would be interested in hearing how your life has compared to the Swans'. If it's not too personal, would you mind sharing some of your experiences? Thanks in advance.

Debbie
Frequent Contributor
lepking
0 Kudos

Re: to Vivian

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Hi Vivian,

I also loved the book and I was intrigued with the description of the Mormon way of life. I don't know much about it and reading this story made me want to learn more. The Swan family was so loving and their whole community was close knit.

I'm so glad you're joining this discussion. I would be interested in hearing how your life has compared to the Swans'. If it's not too personal, would you mind sharing some of your experiences? Thanks in advance.

Debbie

I am new to the book club, but a JM fan for a long time. I have read them all. I have experienced tragedy in my own life as one daughter was murdered in 2001, one step-daughter murdered in 1995 and a step son killed in a car crash in 1980. Forgiveness is a very complicated issue. Cage of Stars touched me in many ways. When there is an incident of violence against someone you love more than your own life, you instinctively want to "do something". This was the case with Ronnie and although she had a plan - her deep-seeded values kept her holding to the iron rod - the right path. Jackie has such a talent for addressing grief and it's many twists and turns. lepking
lepking
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Re: to Vivian

Welcome, everyone -- and welcome back, Linda (we'll hopefully convince Jacquelyn to return to discuss her upcoming novel; I believe it's out this fall).

One thing, lepking, that I certainly agree with -- Jacquelyn has a talent for addressing the condition of grief. What interests me about Cage of Stars is that, despite the tragic events in which it is grounded, there's a lot more going on here than mourning and recovery. There's a more universal story of growing up, which I think is in its way even more moving.

Looking forward to getting everyone's perspective!
Author
JackieM01
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions/new book

I'm sorry there won't be a new book until August -- at least an adult novel! I think the moderators thought that the last discussion fell apart a bit...
yours,
Jackie M.
Author
JackieM01
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions/We love hearing 'I couldn't put it down!'

I hope this discussion proved a profitable one for you!
yours
Jackie M.
Author
JackieM01
0 Kudos

Re: to Vivian/three older kids too

One of whom just concluded telling me how I had ruined his life by making him take piano lessons!
I hope this discussion proves useful to you and is at least a little bit of fun!
yours,
Jackie M.
I'm glad I seduced you from non-fiction for a little while...
Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I first met Jackie in the B&N group for The Breakdown Lane. Last July I sort of floated through Cage of Stars, so I'm hoping to really have some insights discussing it with all of you.

KathyH
[hasenbein]
Author
JackieM01
0 Kudos

Re: to Vivian/Am I answering lepking in the right place?

I know who you are; we talk almost every day! (By e-mail).
As someone who has had more than her share of tragedies, she knows of what she speaks.
best and more,
Jackie M.
Author
JackieM01
0 Kudos

Re: Hi Kathy and welcome back!

Yes, that discussion was all over the place!
We'll stick to the straight and narrow this time.
Jackie M.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

to lepking

I am new to the book club, but a JM fan for a long time. I have read them all. I have experienced tragedy in my own life as one daughter was murdered in 2001, one step-daughter murdered in 1995 and a step son killed in a car crash in 1980. Forgiveness is a very complicated issue. Cage of Stars touched me in many ways. When there is an incident of violence against someone you love more than your own life, you instinctively want to "do something". This was the case with Ronnie and although she had a plan - her deep-seeded values kept her holding to the iron rod - the right path. Jackie has such a talent for addressing grief and it's many twists and turns. lepking

lepking,

I am so sorry for your tragic losses. I've had a few, but none like what you went through. How do you carry on? You mentioned forgiveness. If you don't mind me asking, were you able to forgive?
Frequent Contributor
lepking
0 Kudos

Re:forgiveness

W,
Forgiveness is a work in progress for me. It would be easier perhaps if there was remorse on his part - but there is none. He continues to deny that he did anything. That is one of the big differences in "Cage . . " But deep in my heart I know that my forgiving him should not be conditioned on his remorse. It gets better as time passes (it's been 6 years). I can pray for him and his family - and that's a start. lepking
lepking
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

I'm new to the club. I love to ready, but usually only have time at night with my busy schedule. I just started reading the book and have enjoyed it so far. A friend recommended I try the online book club, so here I am. I hope to keep up with all you steady readers. See you 'round.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Re:forgiveness

lepking wrote:
W,
Forgiveness is a work in progress for me. It would be easier perhaps if there was remorse on his part - but there is none. He continues to deny that he did anything. That is one of the big differences in "Cage . . " But deep in my heart I know that my forgiving him should not be conditioned on his remorse. It gets better as time passes (it's been 6 years). I can pray for him and his family - and that's a start. lepking

Lepking,
if you can pray for them, that is a huge start. Forgiveness does take time sometimes. I have been working on that very thing myself lately and reading a lot about it too over something that happened to me. It is true that forgiveness, is really for the forgiver anyway, its to free us. God, or whatever powers one believes in, will take care of the violator in time. Forgiveness does not mean you have to be around the people who hurt us or feel all fuzzy for them but I think the reason God commands it of us is out of his love for us, that he knows how destructive anger can be in our own lives and how we then interact with others. Let me share with you something I just read today...."Mercy for me, justice for everyone else...is too much like an addiction". That hit me hard. Thats me at times and I know it. I ask for God's mercy on me but want his justice on others! So where in that is my mercy. No one can tell another when or how to forgive. Just like those in this book are struggling with it. Sometimes it takes a lifetime, sometimes, the sweetness that comes from the inner peace of forgiveness comes much faster. He may never ever have remorse, the one who harmed me NEVER has had, even dared grin at me for getting away with it. Keep up with your prayers and you will find it. I do believe that. AND for a more secular reason, you may have heard this phrase before and its soooo true: Staying angry at someone only allows them to live in your head rent free! AIN'T IT THE TRUTH!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Re: Hi Kathy and welcome back!

From my point of view, we shouldn't need to worry too much about the "straight and narrow" -- we can just create new threads if we discover we want to take the conversation in new directions (and you don't have to wait for me to do it -- just click on "New Message" from the main page).

Let's wander where the conversation takes us, I say!

JackieM01 wrote:
Yes, that discussion was all over the place!
We'll stick to the straight and narrow this time.
Jackie M.

Frequent Contributor
lepking
0 Kudos

Re: how far can we go?

Bill/Jackie,
Is there a point where we can talk about things that happened at the middle/end of the book? How do we know how far to take the discussion as the story progresses? I love the Ronnie in her journey of becoming..
lepking
lepking
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Re: how far can we go?

lepking -- I've posted some "Early Chapter" discussion topics, meant especially for those who haven't had a chance to read too far yet. I've got more topics lined up which relate to the rest of the story, but I thought I'd hold off on posting those for a few days.

However, there's no reason you can't start a new thread of your own, focused on whatever topic/question/issue or event in the book that you'd like to talk about. From the main page, click "New Message" (right above the book/author image), and compose your message.

One suggestion: if your post (or the conversation it immediately invites) is likely to reveal important info from late in the book, putting "Spoiler Warning" or even just "Spoiler" in the subject line will help readers who are still getting going know to avoid it.

Hope that's helpful.

lepking wrote:
Bill/Jackie,
Is there a point where we can talk about things that happened at the middle/end of the book? How do we know how far to take the discussion as the story progresses? I love the Ronnie in her journey of becoming..
lepking

Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 1,055 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: