Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions/ where is everyone? in the book too!

You know one thing I have noticed in these bookclubs? We hit a weekend lull every weekend. NO one talks. These are much smaller groups too then when it was BNU. I am not sure about posting some new threads till a Mod does here, cause I am not getting a sense of where anyone is or how many chapters in we can discuss now without writing SPOILER on it.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions/ where is everyone? in the book too!


vivico1 wrote:
...cause I am not getting a sense of where anyone is or how many chapters in we can discuss now without writing SPOILER on it.




I'm on chapter 10. Should we put chapters in the threads when replying?
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions/ where is everyone? in the book too!


cindersue wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
...cause I am not getting a sense of where anyone is or how many chapters in we can discuss now without writing SPOILER on it.




I'm on chapter 10. Should we put chapters in the threads when replying?


They should have some new threads the first of the week with questions I think. If you have something you want to talk about that you think may be about half way through or further, I would say, start a new thread by clicking on new message on the first page at the top left and start a new line of discussion. You can make the subject heading something about what you have read so far and add something like, Possible Spoiler for Chapter 8-10 or something. I am going to start one or two if i dont see anything new by Monday night. Yeah, share your thoughts and ideas. Not many talking in here it seems.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions/ where is everyone? in the book too!


vivico1 wrote:

cindersue wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
...cause I am not getting a sense of where anyone is or how many chapters in we can discuss now without writing SPOILER on it.




I'm on chapter 10. Should we put chapters in the threads when replying?


They should have some new threads the first of the week with questions I think. If you have something you want to talk about that you think may be about half way through or further, I would say, start a new thread by clicking on new message on the first page at the top left and start a new line of discussion. You can make the subject heading something about what you have read so far and add something like, Possible Spoiler for Chapter 8-10 or something. I am going to start one or two if i dont see anything new by Monday night. Yeah, share your thoughts and ideas. Not many talking in here it seems.




I am really interested in this discussion but haven't been on here as much as I would like. I've had some stomach bug the last two weeks that keeps coming and going. The new threads sound good to me, also with chapters listed. I enjoyed the book so much and have looked forward to this.
Author
JackieM01
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎03-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: how far can we go?/anywhere!

I'm ready for middles anytime anyone else is!
Jackie M.
Author
JackieM01
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎03-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions/ where is everyone? in the book too!

I'm feeling the same way! I'm a little confused by the new system but it seems that weekends, the time when everyone would have time to post, are really down time. I'd like to invite anyone who KNOWS anyone to come to the group, too, so we can have some action!
Jackie M.
Author
JackieM01
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎03-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions/ Please invite anyone who might be interested!

As I said before, it's much more fun when lots of folks are talking! Please share! It makes me feel inferior (LOL)when no one is there!
Jackie M.
Frequent Contributor
lepking
Posts: 45
Registered: ‎03-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions/ Please invite anyone who might be interested!

I have six friends who have read CAGE, but all six have little kids and it's difficult for them to find the time. One said to me, "It's a good day when I get to take a shower, it's a great day when I get to take one by myself." Being the mother of several myself, I remember those days, that's why it was hard to understand how Ronnie's mother could basically ignore her baby for so many months. When my two youngest were born, my next two oldest were 11 and 14. They were helpful, but "not the mama". Ronnie was a remarkable young woman. lepking
lepking
Author
JackieM01
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎03-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: to Vivian/In AUGUST

The paperback of 'Cage' come out; and it's essentially a new book in some ways. There are slight plot changes; and all the "Mormon-ic" (or is that moronic?) errors of MINE are corrected in full. I'm hoping that the lovely woman who runs Deseret books will now feel it's fine for Mormon readers, as she likes me and liked the book but found the errors of thought (such as London, although he is a devout though VERY liberal Mormon, wishing that Ronnie could have baptized her younger sisters -- a wish that he would never have had) worked through in different ways. There's also a stunning eerie new cover...

In August ALSO, there is the debut of 'Still Summer,' which Craig Holden and several others have called a new genre -- chick noir. It's about four best friends from high school reunited after their "leader," the exotic Olivia, returns a wealthy widow from Italy, where she has lived since college years. The four decide to take a sailboat crossing on a two-man trimarin yacht, crewed by its owners Lenny Amato and Michel Eugene-Martin, his young Canadian business partner. At the last moment, Janis, the cousin of Tracy Kyle, the main character, stays home because her husband needs a hernia operation operation; and Tracy's rebellious teenage daughter, Cammie, joins the group. Two days out, the unthinkable happens; and it happens often in real life, although the consequences usually aren't so dire. The women are stranded alone between St. John's and Honduras...in a sea nearly deserted by pleasure boats, but not by some other kinds..In the most harrowing circumstances, using only their wits, athletic ability and strength, the four must fight to save their own lives in a disabled boat, prey to the elements, human predators and their own dangerous secrets....

cool huh?

Jackie M.
Author
JackieM01
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎03-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: to Vivian/In AUGUST/dialect

I just wrote 'The paperback of CAGE come out' instead of "comes out" because I was trying to frost a cinni-bun for my 3-year-old at the same moment.
Jackie M.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: to Vivian/In AUGUST

Jackie,
I think Sheri Dew, president of Deseret Book, already finds it a fine mormon read because I looked at the website for Deseret Book and your book is there now! :smileywink: Sheri is an amazing woman. I have only heard her speak and read her books but she is a wonderful woman. I am reading one of her books right now that hits home with me called If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be Hard. lol. I read here, plot change???? and thought, DONT you dare!!! This is a great book as it is with this plot. As for your "moronic" errors lol, you know very well they were not "moronic", just little twists on things that I think you did a fantastic job on, not being a Mormon. There are always some little problems that can crop up when writing about another culture, be it religious or cultural aspects of another country. I have been very impressed by your writing here, I think you took great care with what you talked about and that really counts for something. Sooo, how much are you really going to change the plot??

p.s. I am getting a kick out of reading your posts this morning and all thats going on at your house. Heaven forbid a writer should write "come out" instead of "comes out" that you had to come back and correct it LOL! Did you know that if you find an error on your message that you want to change, as long as it is within 90 minutes of the submission, you can come back and where it says options right on the top of that message (or edit it might be) you can click on that, bring your message back up and change it there? I am still learning stuff about this new format. I am home this morning instead of church because I have not been well the last two days. Man on Easter too! OK, since you are ready to move on to the middle, I am going to see what I can posts as some questions for the middle chapters and get some new thread going myself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
JackieM01 wrote:
The paperback of 'Cage' come out; and it's essentially a new book in some ways. There are slight plot changes; and all the "Mormon-ic" (or is that moronic?) errors of MINE are corrected in full. I'm hoping that the lovely woman who runs Deseret books will now feel it's fine for Mormon readers, as she likes me and liked the book but found the errors of thought (such as London, although he is a devout though VERY liberal Mormon, wishing that Ronnie could have baptized her younger sisters -- a wish that he would never have had) worked through in different ways. There's also a stunning eerie new cover...
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

books


JackieM01 wrote:
The paperback of 'Cage' come out; and it's essentially a new book in some ways. There are slight plot changes; and all the "Mormon-ic" (or is that moronic?) errors of MINE are corrected in full. I'm hoping that the lovely woman who runs Deseret books will now feel it's fine for Mormon readers, as she likes me and liked the book but found the errors of thought (such as London, although he is a devout though VERY liberal Mormon, wishing that Ronnie could have baptized her younger sisters -- a wish that he would never have had) worked through in different ways. There's also a stunning eerie new cover...

In August ALSO, there is the debut of 'Still Summer,' which Craig Holden and several others have called a new genre -- chick noir. It's about four best friends from high school reunited after their "leader," the exotic Olivia, returns a wealthy widow from Italy, where she has lived since college years. The four decide to take a sailboat crossing on a two-man trimarin yacht, crewed by its owners Lenny Amato and Michel Eugene-Martin, his young Canadian business partner. At the last moment, Janis, the cousin of Tracy Kyle, the main character, stays home because her husband needs a hernia operation operation; and Tracy's rebellious teenage daughter, Cammie, joins the group. Two days out, the unthinkable happens; and it happens often in real life, although the consequences usually aren't so dire. The women are stranded alone between St. John's and Honduras...in a sea nearly deserted by pleasure boats, but not by some other kinds..In the most harrowing circumstances, using only their wits, athletic ability and strength, the four must fight to save their own lives in a disabled boat, prey to the elements, human predators and their own dangerous secrets....

cool huh?

Jackie M.




Jackie,

I have so many questions! What does your new cover look like and why is it eerie? Do you make those kind of changes? Do you have many people that help you with your research? As already stated, you do an amazing job.

I can't wait for your new book. Is that all the preview we get? (hint, hint :smileywink: ) How did you come up with that idea?
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: to Vivian/In AUGUST


vivico1 wrote:


p.s. I am getting a kick out of reading your posts this morning and all thats going on at your house. Heaven forbid a writer should write "come out" instead of "comes out" that you had to come back and correct it LOL! Did you know that if you find an error on your message that you want to change, as long as it is within 90 minutes of the submission, you can come back and where it says options right on the top of that message (or edit it might be) you can click on that, bring your message back up and change it there? I am still learning stuff about this new format. I am home this morning instead of church because I have not been well the last two days. Man on Easter too! OK, since you are ready to move on to the middle, I am going to see what I can posts as some questions for the middle chapters and get some new thread going myself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------


Viv,
I haven't felt well either. I hope it's not a book club flu. :smileywink: Feel better because I enjoy hearing from you and picking your brain for more info.
Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
Posts: 133
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: to Vivian/In AUGUST

Jackie,

I will look forward to reading "Still Summer". I thought "Cage of Stars" was Wonderful! Difficult in many ways - we have three daughters - so it hit a little close to home - however watching Ronnie grow and learn, given her having to witness the aftermath of her sisters' murder, was fascinating.

Doug






JackieM01 wrote:
The paperback of 'Cage' come out; and it's essentially a new book in some ways. There are slight plot changes; and all the "Mormon-ic" (or is that moronic?) errors of MINE are corrected in full. I'm hoping that the lovely woman who runs Deseret books will now feel it's fine for Mormon readers, as she likes me and liked the book but found the errors of thought (such as London, although he is a devout though VERY liberal Mormon, wishing that Ronnie could have baptized her younger sisters -- a wish that he would never have had) worked through in different ways. There's also a stunning eerie new cover...

In August ALSO, there is the debut of 'Still Summer,' which Craig Holden and several others have called a new genre -- chick noir. It's about four best friends from high school reunited after their "leader," the exotic Olivia, returns a wealthy widow from Italy, where she has lived since college years. The four decide to take a sailboat crossing on a two-man trimarin yacht, crewed by its owners Lenny Amato and Michel Eugene-Martin, his young Canadian business partner. At the last moment, Janis, the cousin of Tracy Kyle, the main character, stays home because her husband needs a hernia operation operation; and Tracy's rebellious teenage daughter, Cammie, joins the group. Two days out, the unthinkable happens; and it happens often in real life, although the consequences usually aren't so dire. The women are stranded alone between St. John's and Honduras...in a sea nearly deserted by pleasure boats, but not by some other kinds..In the most harrowing circumstances, using only their wits, athletic ability and strength, the four must fight to save their own lives in a disabled boat, prey to the elements, human predators and their own dangerous secrets....

cool huh?

Jackie M.


Frequent Contributor
lepking
Posts: 45
Registered: ‎03-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Difficult/Wonderful

Yes, Doug, difficult/wonderful is a great way to describe CAGE OF STARS - just like life. It is difficult, but wonderful to experience on a daily basis. Welcome to the discussion.
lepking
Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
Posts: 133
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Difficult/Wonderful

Lepking,

Thank you, Doug




lepking wrote:
Yes, Doug, difficult/wonderful is a great way to describe CAGE OF STARS - just like life. It is difficult, but wonderful to experience on a daily basis. Welcome to the discussion.


Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: to Vivian/In AUGUST



dghobbs wrote:
Jackie,

I will look forward to reading "Still Summer". I thought "Cage of Stars" was Wonderful! Difficult in many ways - we have three daughters - so it hit a little close to home - however watching Ronnie grow and learn, given her having to witness the aftermath of her sisters' murder, was fascinating.

Doug






JackieM01 wrote:
The paperback of 'Cage' come out; and it's essentially a new book in some ways. There are slight plot changes; and all the "Mormon-ic" (or is that moronic?) errors of MINE are corrected in full. I'm hoping that the lovely woman who runs Deseret books will now feel it's fine for Mormon readers, as she likes me and liked the book but found the errors of thought (such as London, although he is a devout though VERY liberal Mormon, wishing that Ronnie could have baptized her younger sisters -- a wish that he would never have had) worked through in different ways. There's also a stunning eerie new cover...

In August ALSO, there is the debut of 'Still Summer,' which Craig Holden and several others have called a new genre -- chick noir. It's about four best friends from high school reunited after their "leader," the exotic Olivia, returns a wealthy widow from Italy, where she has lived since college years. The four decide to take a sailboat crossing on a two-man trimarin yacht, crewed by its owners Lenny Amato and Michel Eugene-Martin, his young Canadian business partner. At the last moment, Janis, the cousin of Tracy Kyle, the main character, stays home because her husband needs a hernia operation operation; and Tracy's rebellious teenage daughter, Cammie, joins the group. Two days out, the unthinkable happens; and it happens often in real life, although the consequences usually aren't so dire. The women are stranded alone between St. John's and Honduras...in a sea nearly deserted by pleasure boats, but not by some other kinds..In the most harrowing circumstances, using only their wits, athletic ability and strength, the four must fight to save their own lives in a disabled boat, prey to the elements, human predators and their own dangerous secrets....

cool huh?

Jackie M.









Hi Doug; Its hard to reconize old barnes and noble university students because of our email logos but hey, it certainly sounded like the Doug from N.C. Hope you have been well and your family also. This book is the answer to alot of my prayers. With so many great people on this read who share their tragedies with me and I can release some of my tensions from the past, that make my life seem alot better. Opening closets, cleaning out those cobwebs really helps us all. We can breathe better!
Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
Posts: 133
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: to Vivian/In AUGUST



kiakar wrote:


dghobbs wrote:
Jackie,

I will look forward to reading "Still Summer". I thought "Cage of Stars" was Wonderful! Difficult in many ways - we have three daughters - so it hit a little close to home - however watching Ronnie grow and learn, given her having to witness the aftermath of her sisters' murder, was fascinating.

Doug






JackieM01 wrote:
The paperback of 'Cage' come out; and it's essentially a new book in some ways. There are slight plot changes; and all the "Mormon-ic" (or is that moronic?) errors of MINE are corrected in full. I'm hoping that the lovely woman who runs Deseret books will now feel it's fine for Mormon readers, as she likes me and liked the book but found the errors of thought (such as London, although he is a devout though VERY liberal Mormon, wishing that Ronnie could have baptized her younger sisters -- a wish that he would never have had) worked through in different ways. There's also a stunning eerie new cover...

In August ALSO, there is the debut of 'Still Summer,' which Craig Holden and several others have called a new genre -- chick noir. It's about four best friends from high school reunited after their "leader," the exotic Olivia, returns a wealthy widow from Italy, where she has lived since college years. The four decide to take a sailboat crossing on a two-man trimarin yacht, crewed by its owners Lenny Amato and Michel Eugene-Martin, his young Canadian business partner. At the last moment, Janis, the cousin of Tracy Kyle, the main character, stays home because her husband needs a hernia operation operation; and Tracy's rebellious teenage daughter, Cammie, joins the group. Two days out, the unthinkable happens; and it happens often in real life, although the consequences usually aren't so dire. The women are stranded alone between St. John's and Honduras...in a sea nearly deserted by pleasure boats, but not by some other kinds..In the most harrowing circumstances, using only their wits, athletic ability and strength, the four must fight to save their own lives in a disabled boat, prey to the elements, human predators and their own dangerous secrets....

cool huh?

Jackie M.









Hi Doug; Its hard to reconize old barnes and noble university students because of our email logos but hey, it certainly sounded like the Doug from N.C. Hope you have been well and your family also. This book is the answer to alot of my prayers. With so many great people on this read who share their tragedies with me and I can release some of my tensions from the past, that make my life seem alot better. Opening closets, cleaning out those cobwebs really helps us all. We can breathe better!






Hi,

I am actually from NJ (though High Point, NJ) so I am probably the same Doug. I used to contribute to some groups frequently and lurked in quite a few others. I loved when we discussed this novel the last time.

Doug
Frequent Contributor
homereader
Posts: 101
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions/ where is everyone? in the book too!


JackieM01 wrote:
I'm feeling the same way! I'm a little confused by the new system but it seems that weekends, the time when everyone would have time to post, are really down time. I'd like to invite anyone who KNOWS anyone to come to the group, too, so we can have some action!
Jackie M.




OK, Jackie, thanks for the personal invitation to join the group.
I can't resist. My name is Janet, aka homereader. I participated in the BNU discussion group of "The Breakdown Lane," and I listened to "Theory of Relativity" on CD. I loved both. I need to pick up "Cage of Stars" and get reading. I know I will like it. I just finished a reading group with a different author, and the group there was also very small. I think it must have to do with change in format or marketing or something. I can't imagine that there are not a lot more people out there interested in participating in a reading group with author participation. A couple of the BNU discussion groups that I particpated in had well over a hundred particpants. That got to be tough, just keeping up with the entries. This is the other extreme, but let me assure you, that it is not related to lack of interest in your books. They are very thought-provoking and great for discussion.

Hope to be with you and other readers discussing "Cage of Stars" soon,

Janet
New User
Bastian
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions

I read Cage of Stars before, and attempted the B&N group at that time, but there were some problems, I think. Anyway, I am reading it again, and am enjoying it as much this time as I did the first time. It is a wonderful book -- suspenseful, surprising, heartbreaking.
I also read BREAKDOWN LANE, which was my first Mitchard book, and thought it was wonderful, too. I was in the B&N group for that book also, and really enjoyed that group. I am looking forward to this group.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 254 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: