Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

LAST WEEK, I think. Final thoughts? Favorite passages?

I think this is our last week and I dont see any new questions for us or discussion, so I thought I would put this here to see if anyone had any final thoughts about the book or favorite parts they wanted to share. I will post some later (mowing 2 1/2 acres of yard before storms come right now lol) But since this probably is our last week, anything goes now, any parts of the book. Also, I would think, if any of us have any final questions for Jackie, we better do it on that thread the first part of this week, cause she will be gone soon too. :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
BN Editor
Bill_T
Posts: 366
Registered: ‎03-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: LAST WEEK, I think. Final thoughts? Favorite passages?

Thanks for that post, Vivico -- yes, this would be an excellent time (and place) to post our final questions and thoughts for the author, as she concludes her time with us.



vivico1 wrote:
I think this is our last week and I dont see any new questions for us or discussion, so I thought I would put this here to see if anyone had any final thoughts about the book or favorite parts they wanted to share. I will post some later (mowing 2 1/2 acres of yard before storms come right now lol) But since this probably is our last week, anything goes now, any parts of the book. Also, I would think, if any of us have any final questions for Jackie, we better do it on that thread the first part of this week, cause she will be gone soon too. :smileyhappy:


Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LAST WEEK, I think. Final thoughts? Favorite passages?

wow, so is that it? no one discussing the book anymore? havent seen a new post for several days now from readers and not sure about Jackie. BNU format wasnt over till it was over, and sometimes not then lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LAST WEEK, I think. Final thoughts? Favorite passages?


vivico1 wrote:
wow, so is that it? no one discussing the book anymore? havent seen a new post for several days now from readers and not sure about Jackie. BNU format wasnt over till it was over, and sometimes not then lol.




I'm still here, not ready to give up yet! :smileytongue:

I would like to take this opportunity though to thank Jackie for a great book. It really struck a chord with me and touched my heart. I really enjoyed the story and the words you chose to tell it. I have been recommending it to everyone.

I would also like to thank all the rest of you for a thoughtful, informative (thanks for all of the info Viv!) and very personal discussion. It may have been a small group but I thought it was a great mix and I learned so much from all of you. Thank you for sharing your experiences and may you all find peace and comfort after all you have endured.

~Debbie
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: LAST WEEK, I think. Final thoughts? Favorite passages?





I'm still here, not ready to give up yet! :smileytongue:

I would like to take this opportunity though to thank Jackie for a great book. It really struck a chord with me and touched my heart. I really enjoyed the story and the words you chose to tell it. I have been recommending it to everyone.

I would also like to thank all the rest of you for a thoughtful, informative (thanks for all of the info Viv!) and very personal discussion. It may have been a small group but I thought it was a great mix and I learned so much from all of you. Thank you for sharing your experiences and may you all find peace and comfort after all you have endured.

~Debbie



This has been my first discussion online. I enjoyed the book, too, along with the discussions. I hope I can join in on another book review.

Did anyone watch the Hallmark special on Sunday? I did ... it reminded me of Cage of Stars.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LAST WEEK, I think. Final thoughts? Favorite passages?


cindersue wrote:




I'm still here, not ready to give up yet! :smileytongue:

I would like to take this opportunity though to thank Jackie for a great book. It really struck a chord with me and touched my heart. I really enjoyed the story and the words you chose to tell it. I have been recommending it to everyone.

I would also like to thank all the rest of you for a thoughtful, informative (thanks for all of the info Viv!) and very personal discussion. It may have been a small group but I thought it was a great mix and I learned so much from all of you. Thank you for sharing your experiences and may you all find peace and comfort after all you have endured.

~Debbie



This has been my first discussion online. I enjoyed the book, too, along with the discussions. I hope I can join in on another book review.

Did anyone watch the Hallmark special on Sunday? I did ... it reminded me of Cage of Stars.


I think i taped that as a matter of fact, so i need to check. This bookclub kinda petered out in two weeks cindersue, BNU was more structured so there were more threads of discussion for each week but this has been nice too. Its been good to talk to you and wrighty and kiakar and a few of the others who talked about it too. I am still waiting for my book The Woods but I did read The Road and I am going to check out both of those in may and see if i like those clubs. The Road is an ongoing on so may be good or may be behind but since it won the pulitzer this year and Oprah is suppose to have an exclusive interview with the author this next month i think, it may pick up in there from the first again. I read that he just doesnt do in person interviews and very few written ones so that should be good. Good luck to all in any clubs you join. This really was a great book. I liked it alot and may have to get the next edition to see what changes Jackie made lol. I still am not sure I get the thing about the title, and I didnt see anyone talk about it, except a bit by Jackie but still not really what those two lines meant to this book or the title. Any thoughts anyone? I would recommend this book to anyone but if they asked why its called Cage of Stars, i would still say, I am not quite sure on that. Did you guys understand that part?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LAST WEEK, I think. Final thoughts? Favorite passages?



cindersue wrote:




I'm still here, not ready to give up yet! :smileytongue:

I would like to take this opportunity though to thank Jackie for a great book. It really struck a chord with me and touched my heart. I really enjoyed the story and the words you chose to tell it. I have been recommending it to everyone.

I would also like to thank all the rest of you for a thoughtful, informative (thanks for all of the info Viv!) and very personal discussion. It may have been a small group but I thought it was a great mix and I learned so much from all of you. Thank you for sharing your experiences and may you all find peace and comfort after all you have endured.

~Debbie



This has been my first discussion online. I enjoyed the book, too, along with the discussions. I hope I can join in on another book review.

Did anyone watch the Hallmark special on Sunday? I did ... it reminded me of Cage of Stars.




I didn't see it, bet it was good! Saw the advertisements but not the movie. Maybe it will be on again. Yea! its amazing that people quit talking so quickly on this new format. Probably because it is so many more forums to look on all over the place.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LAST WEEK, I think. Final thoughts? Favorite passages?



vivico1 wrote:

cindersue wrote:




I'm still here, not ready to give up yet! :smileytongue:

I would like to take this opportunity though to thank Jackie for a great book. It really struck a chord with me and touched my heart. I really enjoyed the story and the words you chose to tell it. I have been recommending it to everyone.

I would also like to thank all the rest of you for a thoughtful, informative (thanks for all of the info Viv!) and very personal discussion. It may have been a small group but I thought it was a great mix and I learned so much from all of you. Thank you for sharing your experiences and may you all find peace and comfort after all you have endured.

~Debbie



This has been my first discussion online. I enjoyed the book, too, along with the discussions. I hope I can join in on another book review.

Did anyone watch the Hallmark special on Sunday? I did ... it reminded me of Cage of Stars.


I think i taped that as a matter of fact, so i need to check. This bookclub kinda petered out in two weeks cindersue, BNU was more structured so there were more threads of discussion for each week but this has been nice too. Its been good to talk to you and wrighty and kiakar and a few of the others who talked about it too. I am still waiting for my book The Woods but I did read The Road and I am going to check out both of those in may and see if i like those clubs. The Road is an ongoing on so may be good or may be behind but since it won the pulitzer this year and Oprah is suppose to have an exclusive interview with the author this next month i think, it may pick up in there from the first again. I read that he just doesnt do in person interviews and very few written ones so that should be good. Good luck to all in any clubs you join. This really was a great book. I liked it alot and may have to get the next edition to see what changes Jackie made lol. I still am not sure I get the thing about the title, and I didnt see anyone talk about it, except a bit by Jackie but still not really what those two lines meant to this book or the title. Any thoughts anyone? I would recommend this book to anyone but if they asked why its called Cage of Stars, i would still say, I am not quite sure on that. Did you guys understand that part?



Hi Vivian! I havent been able to write much this week. Been cleaning house like crazy. Have a shower at my house this weekend. Will catch up with you later. If I can find the book The woods I will read it and talk on the club with you all. Do not want to miss out on a book read with you and the others.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: LAST WEEK, I think. Final thoughts? Favorite passages?


kiakar wrote:


vivico1 wrote:

cindersue wrote:




I'm still here, not ready to give up yet! :smileytongue:

I would like to take this opportunity though to thank Jackie for a great book. It really struck a chord with me and touched my heart. I really enjoyed the story and the words you chose to tell it. I have been recommending it to everyone.

I would also like to thank all the rest of you for a thoughtful, informative (thanks for all of the info Viv!) and very personal discussion. It may have been a small group but I thought it was a great mix and I learned so much from all of you. Thank you for sharing your experiences and may you all find peace and comfort after all you have endured.

~Debbie



This has been my first discussion online. I enjoyed the book, too, along with the discussions. I hope I can join in on another book review.

Did anyone watch the Hallmark special on Sunday? I did ... it reminded me of Cage of Stars.


I think i taped that as a matter of fact, so i need to check. This bookclub kinda petered out in two weeks cindersue, BNU was more structured so there were more threads of discussion for each week but this has been nice too. Its been good to talk to you and wrighty and kiakar and a few of the others who talked about it too. I am still waiting for my book The Woods but I did read The Road and I am going to check out both of those in may and see if i like those clubs. The Road is an ongoing on so may be good or may be behind but since it won the pulitzer this year and Oprah is suppose to have an exclusive interview with the author this next month i think, it may pick up in there from the first again. I read that he just doesnt do in person interviews and very few written ones so that should be good. Good luck to all in any clubs you join. This really was a great book. I liked it alot and may have to get the next edition to see what changes Jackie made lol. I still am not sure I get the thing about the title, and I didnt see anyone talk about it, except a bit by Jackie but still not really what those two lines meant to this book or the title. Any thoughts anyone? I would recommend this book to anyone but if they asked why its called Cage of Stars, i would still say, I am not quite sure on that. Did you guys understand that part?



Hi Vivian! I havent been able to write much this week. Been cleaning house like crazy. Have a shower at my house this weekend. Will catch up with you later. If I can find the book The woods I will read it and talk on the club with you all. Do not want to miss out on a book read with you and the others.



The Woods is just out this month Kiakar, so may be hard to find, I ordered mine. But the Road is out everywhere and in paperback and is a great book but will rip at your heart, tho its a great story of the love of a father and son. It may not be up your alley, but I will keep you all on my friendslist and what ever club you wind up in, I will check in on you guys. I do hope we do all get to be in one together and yeah at least The Woods will be new to us all, so maybe more discussion than those who have read a whole book already. Hey, come clean my house LOL! It needs it. I have a friend from Chicago that if she were here today would say....so the tornado DID hit your house yesterday huh?! hhehe :smileytongue:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

title


vivico1 wrote:

I still am not sure I get the thing about the title, and I didnt see anyone talk about it, except a bit by Jackie but still not really what those two lines meant to this book or the title. Any thoughts anyone? I would recommend this book to anyone but if they asked why its called Cage of Stars, i would still say, I am not quite sure on that. Did you guys understand that part?




I'm not quite sure on that either. There was the part earlier in the book where this came up when the sisters were looking at the stars (which I can't find at the moment of course) but I can't remember exactly what that said.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: title


Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

I still am not sure I get the thing about the title, and I didnt see anyone talk about it, except a bit by Jackie but still not really what those two lines meant to this book or the title. Any thoughts anyone? I would recommend this book to anyone but if they asked why its called Cage of Stars, i would still say, I am not quite sure on that. Did you guys understand that part?




I'm not quite sure on that either. There was the part earlier in the book where this came up when the sisters were looking at the stars (which I can't find at the moment of course) but I can't remember exactly what that said.



Jackie said on the thread about the epigraph what that line was and a little about it. I asked twice on that thread or on the questions thread if she would elaborate more but havent seen anything. Havent seen her for awhile either matter of fact. We may have to chalk it up to, good book, dont get the title tho. Its one of those things you really need explained more I think. I wanted to know which came first, the two lines in the poem or the title, some background on it but no response, dunno.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: It is close to Farwell.

As everyone knows, alittle of my history came forth by reading this book with you all. Knglng,Vivico,Wrightly,SueCinder and Jackie, I have really enjoyed your wonderful input into this book. And what relates to our lives when we have to face the reality this read is over. And all the others who joined in this read to make it a great experience for me. It is great therapy to gather and read a book with a great emotional depth as this book was. Thanks Jackie for writing such a thougght provoking book. It is a great gift for many in this life that has to struggle with diversity so very much in their lives. Farewell, to everyone, may we meet again in many book reads.
I so enjoyed your company!
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 735 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: