Reply
Author
JackieM01
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎03-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: converting/family and friends

So far as I know, you need to be a Mormon in good standing to go into certain parts of the temple and certainly to worship there. The choir performs outside in other venues, etc. But family and friends would need to wait until the reception if they were not Mormons -- and not jack Mormons either -- to go to a Mormon wedding.
Jackie
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: converting/family and friends at the temple

You're right, a "jack mormon" wouldn't be able to attend, and London, if he were really going to the temple, wasnt a jack mormon, cause he couldn't. I just took that part about being a jack mormon as just a bit of chidding his personality, not his activity. I laughed at your... A Catholic marrying a Mormon in the temple EEKK, thing LOL. That is a funny thought huh. I felt it was all implied that he converted, had to, for that temple marriage to happen, but when you said its in there that he took the lessons and was converted that year, I think cindersue and I took that to mean, it literally said that, and thats what we were confused about is all. Yes, family and friends who may not be members in good standing or members at all, wait for the reception. Some couples have had another wedding ceremonies outside the temple too, just so nonmember families could be at that part, but you know actually, when explained to them what is going on, they usually are pretty ok with just doing the reception thing. Also, just a bit of info for anyone who may get a chance, if you hear that a Mormon temple is being built near you, they will hold an open house before it is dedicated where EVERYONE can go inside, to all the rooms, and see just what it looks like in there and be told what goes on there too. We had one here in Oklahoma that went so well, it became the standard of how to do the open houses now. I would invite anyone to go to one if you get a chance, I took one of my baptist friends through, one of my Nazarene friends through and two teenage girls of a friend of mine who dont go to any church and all were just really impressed with the feelings inside and the reverance of the other nonmembers too. Once then, that the temple is dedicated, had a formal prayer service over it for the work to be done there, then no nonmember can go in again or any member of the church who is not in good standing.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: converting/family and friends at the temple


vivico1 wrote:
... for anyone who may get a chance, if you hear that a Mormon temple is being built near you, they will hold an open house before it is dedicated where EVERYONE can go inside, to all the rooms, and see just what it looks like in there and be told what goes on there too.




The Glenview Temple was built in my area. No one knew what was going there, so it was a mystery. Once it was built, there was an open house. It was quite interesting. I did walk away quite confused. My friend straightened me out years later. The way the tour guide explained it made me think dead people are baptized there. I was thinking, holy cow, how do they get the dead bodies in the tub area to baptize them! My friend told me that they don't take the dead bodies there! I was much relieved. LOL I wasn't the only one that understood it that way. I was glad my Mormon friend cleared that up for me, even if it took 30 years! LOL
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: converting/family and friends at the temple


cindersue wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
... for anyone who may get a chance, if you hear that a Mormon temple is being built near you, they will hold an open house before it is dedicated where EVERYONE can go inside, to all the rooms, and see just what it looks like in there and be told what goes on there too.




The Glenview Temple was built in my area. No one knew what was going there, so it was a mystery. Once it was built, there was an open house. It was quite interesting. I did walk away quite confused. My friend straightened me out years later. The way the tour guide explained it made me think dead people are baptized there. I was thinking, holy cow, how do they get the dead bodies in the tub area to baptize them! My friend told me that they don't take the dead bodies there! I was much relieved. LOL I wasn't the only one that understood it that way. I was glad my Mormon friend cleared that up for me, even if it took 30 years! LOL


LOL LOL, that just sooo cracks me up hehe. Where the heck do we get those bodies anyway lol. Especially for a relative from like 1500, ewwwwww. Its hard enough to find their names and dates, much less go dig up a stinky old body if you know where lol. And anyone cremated or at the bottom of the sea, well too bad so sad huh LOL. There are a lot of misconceptions about the temples, I heard one once that said thats where we keep our illegitimate kids and raise them up to be these clone looking missionaries! ROFL. I was laughing so hard, I said yes and the temple is closed on mondays so we can go visit those kids but you cant feed them! This woman said really??? Took me two days to stop laughing at that one.:smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
JackieM01
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎03-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: PLEASE

Don't buy anything at Wal-Mart. Go to Target. My son's best friend was one of those people who was denied the "privilege" of leaving his shift to go to the doctor when he had stomach pain. He had a ruptured appendix, and was locked in when the ambulance came.
JGM
Author
JackieM01
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎03-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: converting/Dry Mormon

My friend Kahliel calls me a "dry Mormon" because I'm such a strict mom and have so many kids...I've sure considered it. Being a political liberal, which is difficult when you are a Mormon, has held me up.
Jackie M.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: PLEASE


JackieM01 wrote:
Don't buy anything at Wal-Mart. Go to Target. My son's best friend was one of those people who was denied the "privilege" of leaving his shift to go to the doctor when he had stomach pain. He had a ruptured appendix, and was locked in when the ambulance came.
JGM




I had heard that about Wal-mart before, about locking their employees in. I hope his friend is okay. I do buy most of my books at B&N, especially hard to find ones. But occassionally, I'll buy at Wal-mart. I'll think twice next time.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: converting/family and friends at the temple



LOL LOL, that just sooo cracks me up hehe. Where the heck do we get those bodies anyway lol. Especially for a relative from like 1500, ewwwwww. ... There are a lot of misconceptions about the temples, I heard one once that said thats where we keep our illegitimate kids and raise them up to be these clone looking missionaries! ROFL. I was laughing so hard, I said yes and the temple is closed on mondays so we can go visit those kids but you cant feed them! This woman said really??? Took me two days to stop laughing at that one.:smileywink:



Hadn't heard that one. LOL Yes, there are many misconceptions about the Mormon ways. So, no food on Monday, aye? LOL That's why they all look alike. :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: converting/Dry Mormon


JackieM01 wrote:
My friend Kahliel calls me a "dry Mormon" because I'm such a strict mom and have so many kids...I've sure considered it. Being a political liberal, which is difficult when you are a Mormon, has held me up.
Jackie M.


Well Jackie, thats like some people, including some mormon's think if your a mormon, you have to be republican! No one asks your affiliation, mostly if the church says anything, its just get out there and vote! You know there is an old saying, catholics make the best mormons LOL :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
JackieM01
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎03-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: Love Story/big controversy



cindersue wrote:
cindersue wrote:
So should I play it safe and just buy my books at Wal-mart? LOL JK Thanks for the explanation. :smileywink:


vivico1 wrote?I may have to buy her book, deep end of the ocean now. I like her style. And not too thrilled with the sound of the books offered for May that are author lead, but waiting to see if they offer any other books starting in May under some of the other catagories, otherwise I may sit out May and do my own reading, cant tell yet.



I am interested in reading Deep End also. Hey Jackie ... are you going to have a B&N book review segment on this? I sure hope so.




Oh, please do read 'Deep End.' But what's a B&N review section on ... which? This book? This discussion? You see, I'm not as familiar with the ins and outs of all that is possible with this site, having just done the book club (formerly University) section. Tell me what you mean.
Jackie
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: Love Story/big controversy


JackieM01 wrote:


cindersue wrote:
cindersue wrote:
So should I play it safe and just buy my books at Wal-mart? LOL JK Thanks for the explanation. :smileywink:


vivico1 wrote?I may have to buy her book, deep end of the ocean now. I like her style. And not too thrilled with the sound of the books offered for May that are author lead, but waiting to see if they offer any other books starting in May under some of the other catagories, otherwise I may sit out May and do my own reading, cant tell yet.



I am interested in reading Deep End also. Hey Jackie ... are you going to have a B&N book review segment on this? I sure hope so.




Oh, please do read 'Deep End.' But what's a B&N review section on ... which? This book? This discussion? You see, I'm not as familiar with the ins and outs of all that is possible with this site, having just done the book club (formerly University) section. Tell me what you mean.
Jackie


We mean are you going to do a book club on The Deep End Of The Ocean, like you did here with Cage of Stars since unfortunately we dont have the BNU format anymore.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: Love Story/big controversy


vivico1 wrote:


We mean are you going to do a book club on The Deep End Of The Ocean, like you did here with Cage of Stars since unfortunately we dont have the BNU format anymore.



I don't know what BNU format is. Is there a big difference?
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: Love Story/big controversy


cindersue wrote:

vivico1 wrote:


We mean are you going to do a book club on The Deep End Of The Ocean, like you did here with Cage of Stars since unfortunately we dont have the BNU format anymore.



I don't know what BNU format is. Is there a big difference?


Barnes and Nobles hates to be reminded of it every month Cindersue but up until the last quarter of last year it was called Barnes and Noble University and had a liberal arts section even that had lots of topics this format does not. Also, sometimes we actually had the authors of the book teaching the classes if not, it wasnt left to just the mods, there was always someone who knew about the subject. Like when I took a course on Emily Dickinson, her life and poetry, we had a woman who had written books on her, belonged to this big Emily Dickinson historical society and it was great. I took a Forensic class and that was a blast, we had a man who does real life CSI and he gave us two crimes to solve using the techniques in the assigned book and to see who could solve them first. The crimes would unfold a little each week, according to techniques you learned in the book, they werent all given up front. As for the format too, much much better. You were given specific chapter heading to get through, almost every class was started fresh each month and many kept around so if you missed it once you could come back to it, but not this ongoing stuff like that one book i said i am considering (that NO ONE will reply to lol or even give me their thoughts on what they might read next month) where if you go in, you may be saying hi while others are discussing the end of the book. I prefer the one month style. Also how you use this was different. You had a screen to the left if i am remembering correctly, and it showed how many questions were on which thread and which ones you had not read yet, so you didnt get ahead of yourself or the questions. It also showed when all the posts on that thread were read (similar to this) but you could click there and it would go directly to that thread and in better order than the thread one here, so what you read as a response WAS right after the first post, which may be what Jackie was used to happening and as we see doesnt here. What you post, may come after a lot of others in between, thus we really need to quote the post here. Barnes and Noble told us about this AFTER the fact that many of us had bought 2-3 books for the next month that then werent even going to be offered. There were hundreds in those classes, not like now. They said give us your feedback, we want to hear all you have to say,so for a month, that we knew there was going to be a change, tons of people were saying NOOOO, dont change this! Where are our topics?? why are you doing this,we dont want a new format. After getting a ton of, "tell us what you want and think" posts, they finally got fed up because they really didnt want to know, they were already changing it, and put a post on here saying, THIS is the new format, thats it, now,if you have some books you would like covered let us know. A few of the people, like the one writer who was doing Emily and the one man doing Mozart, said they both didnt know this was happening or IF they were going to be back, now thats just wrong. Anyway, if this answer gets left on here and I am not booted for putting it here (you will know if you dont see anymore posts from me lol) thats pretty much what has happened and why I am having a hard time deciding about doing any of the books for May or none. I did 2 classes in that one last month because I got a deal on the two and was going to take one that month and the other the next. Wasnt easy either because one of the classes had two books and the other book was 600 pages long but I am glad i got in on the discussions. They were much more structured, with those chapter headings and questions, you knew right about where you needed to be to be on target for the month and people participated a WHOLE lot more. Many have not come back at all. After I looked at this format and what was offered at first, I dropped out for 3 months, but would check back in to see if anyone had convinced them to make the changes back. None of us know why the change happened, this was THE best site online for this. I am sure it was money. But I know they were making big bucks on the ones offered then because of how many were in here and how many books there were. Anyway, so much for my rag on this again lol, we wont see it again and you are luckly in one sense, since you didnt see the old BNU (barnes and noble University) you wont be comparing this format to it all the time now :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: Love Story/big controversy


cindersue wrote:I don't know what BNU format is. Is there a big difference?


vivico1 wrote:
... NO ONE will reply to lol or even give me their thoughts on what they might read next month ...


Being the weekend, I think people are catching up on other tasks that can only be done on the weekends. I'm sure you will hear from others next week. :smileywink:

Thanks for your explanation, Viv. Sounds somewhat confusing, so am glad I only know this website. I can't imagine having to read 100's of responses. I'm glad Jackie's been able to participate in our book discussion. :smileyhappy:
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: Love Story/big controversy


cindersue wrote:

cindersue wrote:I don't know what BNU format is. Is there a big difference?


vivico1 wrote:
... NO ONE will reply to lol or even give me their thoughts on what they might read next month ...


Being the weekend, I think people are catching up on other tasks that can only be done on the weekends. I'm sure you will hear from others next week. :smileywink:

Thanks for your explanation, Viv. Sounds somewhat confusing, so am glad I only know this website. I can't imagine having to read 100's of responses. I'm glad Jackie's been able to participate in our book discussion. :smileyhappy:


lol well it wasnt normally, 100 responses to EACH post, but sometimes 100 participating, not 4-5 like now. I mean , like if it started with 10 threads of questions to get you going, you could be sure to see maybe 10 per question and if you werent there yet, you could read the question for the lesson that week but everyone elses responses would show unread till you did read them. Like on here sometimes, if you open a thread and just read one and answered it, you may forget to go back and read any other responses because once opened, it shows all of them read. I think thats how i have missed some of those responses that I came back on later. As for the May bookclub thing,yep its the weekend but at the same time, i posted it midweek i think and over 30 have looked. I kinda want to decide this weekend, so if i decide to join another, i can get the book ordered and get at least a week down on it. The old format, it wasnt expected that you had read the whole book ahead of time. I may have made the old BNU sound more difficult but it really wasnt. It was easy to use and you could start fresh every month, that was cool. I have still read people arguing about going back to it in some of the other book clubs in here but really, theres nothing we can do about it. So now that you have tried this, how do you like doing a bookclub and is there anything on the coming soon page that looks interesting to you?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
homereader
Posts: 101
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: Love Story/big controversy



JackieM01 wrote:
My editor did not like the ending. She thought it was too happy. However, I felt Ronnie deserved some peace after her struggles and I knew that she and Miko belonged together. If you read closely, you will see that they waited the year while he went through instruction and conversion, as his Catholicism as not as important to him as was her being LDS. What I like best about Ronnie and Miko is that she says that she will never be like other people, but that she is loved by a man who knows that.
Jackie M.




I really appreciated a happy ending after feeling, to some extent, the depth of Ronnie's loss, grief, deprivation of a happy and innocent childhood. Often, there are parts of a story that do not seem totally reality-based, but I just go with it. That is an advantage of reading fiction. The story can go however the author wishes (as long as it sells). Just reading such a tragic story was a departure for me. Having a happy ending seemed like a little treat, a reward, a "piece of chocolate," after going through all of the negative emotions. Thanks, Jackie
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: Love Story/big controversy



vivico1 wrote:
... NO ONE will reply to lol or even give me their thoughts on what they might read next month ...

... So now that you have tried this, how do you like doing a bookclub and is there anything on the coming soon page that looks interesting to you?



I have enjoyed the book club very much. Especially because we were able to "talk" with Jackie. It's great to hear everyone's input, too. :smileywink: I haven't seen the coming soon page ... I'll look again.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: Love Story/big controversy


cindersue wrote:


vivico1 wrote:
... NO ONE will reply to lol or even give me their thoughts on what they might read next month ...

... So now that you have tried this, how do you like doing a bookclub and is there anything on the coming soon page that looks interesting to you?



I have enjoyed the book club very much. Especially because we were able to "talk" with Jackie. It's great to hear everyone's input, too. :smileywink: I haven't seen the coming soon page ... I'll look again.


up at the right corner, where there is a drop down box that says current discussion, right under bookclub i think, you can drop that down and fine a listing for coming soon. Yes, nice to have the forum to "talk" to jackie :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: PLEASE



JackieM01 wrote:
Don't buy anything at Wal-Mart. Go to Target. My son's best friend was one of those people who was denied the "privilege" of leaving his shift to go to the doctor when he had stomach pain. He had a ruptured appendix, and was locked in when the ambulance came.
JGM




Jackie, How can they lock someone in? The doors are open, aren't they? I know ours are open 24 hrs a day. That is called slavery! And they should get sued!
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: PLEASE


kiakar wrote:


JackieM01 wrote:
Don't buy anything at Wal-Mart. Go to Target. My son's best friend was one of those people who was denied the "privilege" of leaving his shift to go to the doctor when he had stomach pain. He had a ruptured appendix, and was locked in when the ambulance came.
JGM




Jackie, How can they lock someone in? The doors are open, aren't they? I know ours are open 24 hrs a day. That is called slavery! And they should get sued!




What I heard before is that Wal-mart closes the store after hours, while the employees finish off what they have to do, be it re-stocking, cleaning, etc. Is that correct Jackie?
Users Online
Currently online:90 members 538 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: