Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Mid to near end of book: small town girl hits the coast-mature enough?

On one thread we talked about how young Ronnie was to go to California. Do you think that even tho she was very mature in some ways, she was emotionally mature enough for such a move? Would you have let your kids leave town that young or try to keep them closer by for a year or two at least? Also Jackie mentioned in her Q&A section that had her parents known exactly where she was out there, they probably would have went after her. Do you think this is also why Ronnie didn't seek out her own church when she got there? She mentioned she didn't even tho she knew where Scott's was.

If I were Ronnie and mormon, I can think of two reasons for not searching out the church there. 1. considering we dont know here what Ronnie has in mind to do when she finds Scott but it doesnt sound good, I think she knows that getting involved in church there, with kids her own age, might just distract her from what it seems she may want to do. And she doesnt want to be distracted from it. 2. Ronnie would know that as a Mormon, she is a member of the church everywhere in the world, one mormon church does not teach this and one teach that, they all are the same, so you can walk into a mormon church in South Africa and have the same kind of services and be greeted as a sister, you are not alone that way, anywhere in the world. Ronnie may not want this right now but more than that, because it is all one worldwide church, if she became active in one of the Mormon churches out there, they would send for her membership records in her home town, so she could be listed in their membership there and if they did that, her parents would know exactly where she was. She would know this as a mormon and she cant have mom and dad coming for her right now. She could use the name she is using now and pretend she is new to the church but that would be more complicated in many ways. Ronnie to me is in many ways, intellectually mature, but not emotionally mature enough to handle what she is doing at this point.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
lepking
0 Kudos

Re: Mid to near end of book: small town girl hits the coast-mature enough?

Perhaps Ronnie thought turning to the church would cause her to have second thoughts about her "mission". When we are focused on doing something that we have been taught is wrong, the last thing we want is influence for good. That may have been another reason for leaving home so soon. She needed to be away from the positive aspects of her life in order to continue with her plans to do the negative.
lepking
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

lepking wrote:
Perhaps Ronnie thought turning to the church would cause her to have second thoughts about her "mission". When we are focused on doing something that we have been taught is wrong, the last thing we want is influence for good. That may have been another reason for leaving home so soon. She needed to be away from the positive aspects of her life in order to continue with her plans to do the negative.

I agree, thats what I mean by she didn't want the church (or anything) to "distract" her from why she has gone there. You can't hold good and evil ideas in your heart about something, one or the other has to win out and your right, she was on a mission that she didnt want second thoughts about.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Ronnie's plan was chisled in stone. No one or anything couldn't change her mind. This was a drill she had practiced with vengance and nothing was getting in her way. A tortured soldier on a mission. She had no intention of seeking out help for her determined mission, this was her gift to her sisters, the getting even she had planned. And I do believe when a child witnesses murder, she has aged many many years in that moment. I didn't witness Walter stabbing or hitting my Dad but the afterwards of him dying, bleeding to death I did. We didn't see movies back then, or read stories of this nature. This was a living nightmare.And through the years we have lived it. And to, we did mature too early in ways and not enought in other ways. Just as you said about Ronnie, Vivco. I was eight and my sister was 10. Living murder is unnatural for us living creatures, even natural death is hard enought but witnessing something with a violent ring to it, is sobering in so many harsh ways to a child.
Author
JackieM01
0 Kudos

lepking wrote:

lepking

Hearing "mission" used this way reminds me of another error, that Claire considered her mission before she was 21. And also Mormon girls don't have to do one. However, I agree that her "mission" was chiseled in stone, but also that she had doubts even before she set out because when she found the place she could go on the map, she began to cry. She felt she had a sort of "date with destiny" that she couldn't avoid, and having thought of it so many years, he had to go through with it.
Jackie M.
Author
JackieM01
0 Kudos

Re: Mid to near end of book: Double quotes

two weeks in, I'm finally figuring out out to quote the post in the answer, and I liked it so much I did it TWICE!
Jackie M.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JackieM01 wrote:
two weeks in, I'm finally figuring out out to quote the post in the answer, and I liked it so much I did it TWICE!
Jackie M.

darn well worth it too! LOL, thank you! :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

JackieM01 wrote:
Jackie M.

darn well worth it too! LOL, thank you! :smileywink:

Awesome, Jackie! Now tell me ... when you write your stories, do you use your computer or a typewriter? LOL I just heard there is a repair shop in Chicago that only repairs typewriters. He's still in business! Being a secretary myself, hearing the news report brought back many wonderful memories. In college, we were lucky to know someone who might have a self correcting typewriter we could use to type our papers. Remember that? My kids just don't understand the "work" we had to do in college when it came to term papers. LOL
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 532 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: