Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Middle book: Miko and Ronnie/ No end of book spoilers please

Miko and Ronnie came from two different backgrounds and religions but these kids definately have feelings for each other. Without going into what may or may not happen for them at the end of the book, what did you think about their feelings at this age and how Miko treated her? There is the incident where they are alone and Miko kisses her (actually two times where it could have gone beyond that). Since Miko was a little older teenager, do you think that the way he handled this and the way he said they needed to stop because he knew her beliefs as a Mormon, would have been different with any other girls for him at this point? Had he already had sex with girls? Do you think that when kids are taught abstinance, not just for abstinance sake, but with a larger purpose in mind and live the rest of their lives too with their faith , in the face of peer pressure, that it can make a difference not only in their lives but in the lives of others? I think Miko had a great respect for Ronnie and wanted to protect her, even from him in this sense. I think it also was showing that he did think about her way of life too and what was it that made it important enough to even him as a teenager to not try to pressure her to more. Is religious beliefs always enough for kids to keep their chastity or stay out of other kinds of trouble or what else helps them through these times? I really felt that teenage stuff again too when listening to the girls talk about boys lol, or thinking about "the first kiss". I loved that line..."He's only 12. He thinks putting toothpaste in his hair is a good joke". LOL Jackie you said you have teenagers right now, are you sitting on your porch at night listening to some of their convos? Man you got some of this young teenage stuff just right. I loved being taken back in time with them.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Middle book: Miko and Ronnie/ No end of book spoilers please

vivico1 wrote:
Miko and Ronnie came from two different backgrounds and religions but these kids definately have feelings for each other. Without going into what may or may not happen for them at the end of the book, what did you think about their feelings at this age and how Miko treated her? There is the incident where they are alone and Miko kisses her (actually two times where it could have gone beyond that). Since Miko was a little older teenager, do you think that the way he handled this and the way he said they needed to stop because he knew her beliefs as a Mormon, would have been different with any other girls for him at this point? Had he already had sex with girls? Do you think that when kids are taught abstinance, not just for abstinance sake, but with a larger purpose in mind and live the rest of their lives too with their faith , in the face of peer pressure, that it can make a difference not only in their lives but in the lives of others? I think Miko had a great respect for Ronnie and wanted to protect her, even from him in this sense. I think it also was showing that he did think about her way of life too and what was it that made it important enough to even him as a teenager to not try to pressure her to more. Is religious beliefs always enough for kids to keep their chastity or stay out of other kinds of trouble or what else helps them through these times? I really felt that teenage stuff again too when listening to the girls talk about boys lol, or thinking about "the first kiss". I loved that line..."He's only 12. He thinks putting toothpaste in his hair is a good joke". LOL Jackie you said you have teenagers right now, are you sitting on your porch at night listening to some of their convos? Man you got some of this young teenage stuff just right. I loved being taken back in time with them.

Yes, Vivco, I did love Jacqueline's telling of this teenage love thing. It was so real like. And it did seem Miko was a good kid and a very good friend for her.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: Middle book: Miko and Ronnie/ No end of book spoilers please

[ Edited ]
I think Jackie did an excellent job speaking as a teenager. It brought so much back. Having teenagers of my own, I can also relate that to them and their friends.

I think having something or someone to depend on can help you through those tough times. Ronnie had her strong faith and community. Even though she didn't have much help from her parents for some important years, she had beliefs that they had helped instill in her. I didn't have much religion in my upbringing but I had the strong support of my parents, especially my amazing mother. Everyone needs a rock, a support system to keep them grounded and help them through the tough times.

Miko was an amazing young man (with raging hormones I'm sure!) who could have taken advantage of an already vulnerable girl. He may not have been Mormon but he had a home in her community so I think he understood her and her values. He also had a loving family. Ronnie makes the comment that she had probably loved Miko since she was 10 and probably always would. She said that was sad but at least she felt something. Maybe Miko realizes that as well.

Message Edited by Wrighty on 04-10-200712:42 AM

Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 664 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: