Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

PICKS FOR MAY

Hey guys, like i said in my intro, I am not really a fictional novel reader, but saw this listed for April and was interested and glad i gave it a try. While we discuss this book, its time to think of next months picks and get the book, if I am going to. On the home page, it shows the author lead books that will start next month and really, none are that appealing to me but maybe, Monique and the Mango Rains. I have done several moderator lead ones and liked them, but I dont see any new ones starting for May. The ones that they are showing all say..we will continue our discussion on these books. Have any of you gone into a bookclub in here that has already been going on for a month at least? Did you do ok jumping in at that stage, when some are discussing the very end after a month and you are just then saying hi and discussing the beginning? I have always tried to get in one that is just starting. I thought if i tried one already going, then maybe The Road.If not one of these two, I may sit out May's clubs and see what comes up in June. I am really more into history books, biographies, science, music, stuff we used to have in BNU instead of the bookclub. What are your thoughts for May anyone? anyone?? Bueller? Bueller?? :smileytongue:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
lepking
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Jackie

Jackie,
There was a three page article in the Arizona Republic today entitled, "Whodunit? Your favorite author may be just a brand name". It talked about how well-known authors' names are appearing on books that they did not write, i.e., Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, when in fact Tom Clancy did not write the book - his name is just used to sell it. What's this all about?? Please tell me this is not the up and coming gimmick!!
Another question, have you considered writing a sequel to CAGE. . . ? lepking
lepking
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Jackie

lepking wrote:
Jackie,
There was a three page article in the Arizona Republic today entitled, "Whodunit? Your favorite author may be just a brand name". It talked about how well-known authors' names are appearing on books that they did not write, i.e., Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, when in fact Tom Clancy did not write the book - his name is just used to sell it. What's this all about?? Please tell me this is not the up and coming gimmick!!
Another question, have you considered writing a sequel to CAGE. . . ? lepking

Lepking, you may want to post this on Questions for author (or Jackie, however its phrased) thread, so she sees it. I just started this one to see who was going to read what in May or what anyone thought about the two books I mentioned I might read. She may not see it here :smileyhappy: Vivian
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: PICKS FOR MAY/ Woods vs Monique

I think I'm going to do The Woods for May. It's by Harlan Coben and I really like his books. He writes mysteries that read fast and usually have twists in the story. I'll be getting it from the library as soon as my name comes up. I definitely can't afford to buy them all, as much as I would like to.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: PICKS FOR MAY

I have just been reading some more on those two books Monique and the Mango Rains and it sounds pretty good. Its actually a true story, not a novel and on the page with the book if you look under it, there is a video you can see about the author and the where she went in the Peace Corps that this is about. It could be interesting to read that book where you get to talk to this peace corp woman who actually knew this woman Monique.

Also the book THE ROAD, its a science fiction post apocalyptic book, i do like sci fi depending on what it is. It surprises me that Oprah would pick this kind of book for her "pick" on her bookclub. Wouldnt take her for the science fiction type lol. But have read some great reviews on it. Oprah and Barnes and Noble both started this one for their bookclub for April and I am not sure about joining a club a full month later. I do prefer to get in on the start but I checked in there, didnt read any posts but they seem to be getting a good amount of responses so it is pretty interactive anyway. Nothing has just really HIT me yet, but at the same time i want to get started with the reading.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: PICKS FOR MAY/Woods vs Monique

[ Edited ]
Well , i talked to the moderator in the club doing THE ROAD right now and he said to be honest, to come into it in May would probably not be great for getting into the first parts. I had wondered if that would be the case. Some of you may have read it before tho and really get some good conversations going tho. I still like the old format where each class lasted a month, then either started over new, or other new ones started, but everyone was in there at the same time, same pace. Soooo, that leaves me with Monique and the Mango Rains, a true story, or looking again the only other one starting in May that I might be interested in is, The Woods, a thriller. May just blow off May lol. Wrighty says she has read the author, Coben's stuff before and that he is really good and she might go there. Anyone else thinking about reading The Woods? I think that may be where I go next too. Hey you guys can post the ones you see you like here or what kind so that if any of you liked being in here together, you could hook up for one in May or everyone is invited to share what kinds of books they like here. Anyone here ever read The Woods?

Little side note here, I just looked up the official website for this author and the book The Woods, and the prologue sounds interesting, read it here and see what you think:

http://www.harlancoben.com/static/novels/tw.htm

Message Edited by vivico1 on 04-16-200705:49 PM

Message Edited by vivico1 on 04-16-200705:51 PM

Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: PICKS FOR MAY/Woods

vivico1 wrote:
Well , i talked to the moderator in the club doing THE ROAD right now and he said to be honest, to come into it in May would probably not be great for getting into the first parts. I had wondered if that would be the case. Some of you may have read it before tho and really get some good conversations going tho. I still like the old format where each class lasted a month, then either started over new, or other new ones started, but everyone was in there at the same time, same pace. Soooo, that leaves me with Monique and the Mango Rains, a true story, or looking again the only other one starting in May that I might be interested in is, The Woods, a thriller. May just blow off May lol. Wrighty says she has read the author, Coben's stuff before and that he is really good and she might go there. Anyone else thinking about reading The Woods? I think that may be where I go next too. Hey you guys can post the ones you see you like here or what kind so that if any of you liked being in here together, you could hook up for one in May or everyone is invited to share what kinds of books they like here. Anyone here ever read The Woods?

Little side note here, I just looked up the official website for this author and the book The Woods, and the prologue sounds interesting, read it here and see what you think:

I'm in, if I get the book in time! :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
... The Woods? I think that may be where I go next too. Hey you guys can post the ones you see you like here or what kind so that if any of you liked being in here together, you could hook up for one in May or everyone is invited to share what kinds of books they like here. Anyone here ever read The Woods?

I like all kinds of books, fictional, non-fictional, thrillers, mysteries, etc. I read when I can, usually at lunch time when I'm working and at night before bed. I am willing to try another book if I can keep up.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
... The Woods? I think that may be where I go next too. Hey you guys can post the ones you see you like here or what kind so that if any of you liked being in here together, you could hook up for one in May or everyone is invited to share what kinds of books they like here. Anyone here ever read The Woods?

I like all kinds of books, fictional, non-fictional, thrillers, mysteries, etc. I read when I can, usually at lunch time when I'm working and at night before bed. I am willing to try another book if I can keep up.

Cindersue, check out the coming soon page to see whats going on and that link for The Woods and see if thats something that interests you. If not, some of the others might, theres are more too. The author lead ones start and end in one month, i like those (whether its author lead or not, just starting fresh ones), we stay together better but if you find one of the others you like better that are continuing ones, you can read when you have time and just come back and forth at it over more than a month period. Besides the ones listed on coming soon, just look on the drop down list above and most of those non author lead books are ongoing all the time. Like Moby Dick has been here since I have I know lol. There may be something there you find too. :smileywink: I think I am going to order The Woods today and see if i can get it in time to at least start on it. Cant be too many saying oh i read that or be done with it, its a brand new novel from what i read.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Ok, i ordered the Coben book THE WOODS for may, but at the same time am hearing good things about THE Road, Oprah's pick that is being discussed in here now and will continued to be discussed in here in May. The moderator thought it might be tough to get real responses in May to early questions, since they are so far along but then Oprah announced today that the book won a Pulitzer Prize and I do love sci fi LOL. There may be more people starting it now again since she talked about that. Now I am not sure which to try. I can do two books sometimes, but I am reading two others now LOL. Both of the clubs for these should be over in May. I may have to get THE ROAD too and just let whichever one takes me on the best journey first, go with it. The title names are close so can be confusing looking for them. So many books, so little time LOL! Well at the same time tho, look at this one, two weeks and most of the convos in here are over and most questions posted answered by those who will. So, we did get it read in short order and could be doing two books now. I dont know about those tho, how fast a read they are but darn I do love books. Maybe if i do the Road too and dont like it, i will just step off into The Woods huh? lol unless doing both of them gets too confusing. Reading both at the same time is hardly like reading one on poetry and one on forensic, no mixing up characters there LOL, but stories are so different, it could work. Yo, people, I am rambling a lot in here lately for lack of book discussion. Where are you guys?
Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Ok, i ordered the Coben book THE WOODS for may, but at the same time am hearing good things about THE Road, Oprah's pick that is being discussed in here now and will continued to be discussed in here in May. The moderator thought it might be tough to get real responses in May to early questions, since they are so far along but then Oprah announced today that the book won a Pulitzer Prize and I do love sci fi LOL. There may be more people starting it now again since she talked about that. Now I am not sure which to try. I can do two books sometimes, but I am reading two others now LOL. Both of the clubs for these should be over in May. I may have to get THE ROAD too and just let whichever one takes me on the best journey first, go with it. The title names are close so can be confusing looking for them. So many books, so little time LOL! Well at the same time tho, look at this one, two weeks and most of the convos in here are over and most questions posted answered by those who will. So, we did get it read in short order and could be doing two books now. I dont know about those tho, how fast a read they are but darn I do love books. Maybe if i do the Road too and dont like it, i will just step off into The Woods huh? lol unless doing both of them gets too confusing. Reading both at the same time is hardly like reading one on poetry and one on forensic, no mixing up characters there LOL, but stories are so different, it could work. Yo, people, I am rambling a lot in here lately for lack of book discussion. Where are you guys?

I know exactly what you mean about all of the books Viv. I have a stacks of books I own that I have to keep pushing to the side because I stop at the library and get a dozen more. I just can't resist books! I have overwhelmed myself now because I feel like I have to rush through them. Some months I find more than one book on these boards that I want to discuss and I want to keep up with all of them. There are times when I need to take a month off or just float through the boards a bit so I can catch up on the books I already have. I do love getting into a good book chat though. I get addicted and can't stay away. :smileytongue:

I was flipping through The Road at B&N the other day. It is suppose to be very stark, dramatic and dark but it's written that way because that is the subject matter. It really gets your attention. I haven't received my copy of The Woods yet so I can't say much on that one but I have really enjoyed his past books.

I'm wondering where everyone is too. I enjoy reading everyone's posts and having a good chat.
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hey there everyone. I just wanted to chime in that not only will The Woods be a good discussion, but do also give a second look at Monique and the Mango Rains. It's really an amazing and moving story -- even if you are not into memoirs as a rule, this one is special. It's from a small press, and Kris's story of working in Mali, of Monique's life and work...well, you just have to read it. And the author is a dynamo.

Just my two cents -- if you want to be in something very unique, take this opportunity to read Monique and the Mango Rains and meet Kris. You won't regret it.

Message Edited by Bill_T on 04-20-2007 03:51 PM

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Well, I went to town today and bought a copy of The Road in paperback and it looks like an easy read so i guess i may do both The Road and The Woods, in May lol. Anyway, i can start on this and see and then The Woods is suppose to be here next week. Hope to see some of you guys in one or the other. I have put several of you on my friends list, so wherever we all wind up, i can check in on your posts and see what your reading and your thoughts, if its a different book, and that may give me ideas for another book to read later too lol. I like those options , friends list, and their posts (except for those who lists theirs as private) cause we can always find each other in any of these bookclubs in here then. Kinda nice, dont ya think? :smileyhappy:

Speaking of easy read, what I meant by that since i didnt actually read any of it, was actually the book form itself. The lines have some space between and the type is big enough for me to read lol and even tho I may be interested in a subject, i got to tell ya, if its little pages and a hundred tight lines with small type, I aint going to stick with it, and nooo, it doesnt have to have pictures lol. Tho that can be a bonus too in some books :smileywink: Anyone else have problems buying or reading books that look too busy and small that way too or just me?
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Bill_T wrote:
Hey there everyone. I just wanted to chime in that not only will The Woods be a good discussion, but do also give a second look at Monique and the Mango Rains. It's really an amazing and moving story -- even if you are not into memoirs as a rule, this one is special. It's from a small press, and Kris's story of working in Mali, of Monique's life and work...well, you just have to read it. And the author is a dynamo.

Just my two cents -- if you want to be in something very unique, take this opportunity to read Monique and the Mango Rains and meet Kris. You won't regret it.

Message Edited by Bill_T on 04-20-200703:51 PM

OK, I bought THE ROAD yesterday and could not put it down. I read late last night and after cleaning today, I laid on the couch and finished the book. HOLY COW! For those of you that want a story that grabs you from the first, like this one did, but will move you to tears, scare you and make you think all the way through, its no wonder this book just won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction for 2007. Understand, this is a post apocalyptic story so its going to be very dark but its so full of love, you cry because of that. I am not going to go into the discussion club here on it till the first of the month and hope to catch new readers to it too. I have never been so choked up so much over one book, except the first 40 pages of this one :smileywink:. The style makes it an easy read. I am still going to read THE WOODS too, but I had to order that one and it wont be here till next week, but since its new, I am hoping there will be lots of new discussion on it and its more a suspense thriller I think. I read a mother's thought's on THE ROAD from an Oprah page and tho she doesnt like dark books, she said she has come away from this book with a new look at life and her children and patience and that she was glad she read it. I am too, just still a bit overwhelmed by it! :smileysad: And wouldnt you know it, another kid who only calls his father papa, like Ronnie did in here and I told you how that gets to me because it makes it seem like such a closer relationship than dad or even daddy. "Papa" is a lump in the throat kind of word to me lol. Maybe because I had 5 fathers and no "papa".

Hey, did anyone see, isnt there suppose to be a hallmark movie on tomorrow about a man faced with some of the same things that Ronnie and her family were faced with here? The loss of a child, (to a driver probably drunk or racing) and the father has to come to terms with revenge or forgiveness, including a sit down with the guy like Ronnie's parents did? Its got Dean Cain in it and I think its tomorrow, Sunday. I dont have a tv guide to check, let me know if you see something about it. Bath time right now, got church in the morning :smileywink:
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Does anyone know for sure what they might be doing for a bookclub for May if any? I ordered THE WOODS two weeks ago and its been lost in transit or something for a full week! If you check, the new book clubs have opened up their boards to get some intros started tho they dont officially start till monday. I was told I could have them send me another copy,(maybe another two weeks) or wait and see, or cancel the order. I dont know what I will do yet but should decide today. I did get THE ROAD and read it, Oprahs pick, Coben's book. I will be in that one I think. Thats a darn good book! But very bittersweet. I could go pick up another book for one of the other clubs today maybe in a nearby town or I could just do The Road and not read any other new ones for may. So what are you guys going to do? Let me know, what the plan, :smileywink:.

p.s. most all new books are listed under author instead of title, wish it was title, so you may have to look around a bit to find the book you are thinking about. Put the title and the author here if you find one you will be in ok?

Message Edited by vivico1 on 04-27-200710:39 AM

Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Does anyone know for sure what they might be doing for a bookclub for May if any? I ordered THE WOODS two weeks ago and its been lost in transit or something for a full week! If you check, the new book clubs have opened up their boards to get some intros started tho they dont officially start till monday. I was told I could have them send me another copy,(maybe another two weeks) or wait and see, or cancel the order. I dont know what I will do yet but should decide today. I did get THE ROAD and read it, Oprahs pick, Coben's book. I will be in that one I think. Thats a darn good book! But very bittersweet. I could go pick up another book for one of the other clubs today maybe in a nearby town or I could just do The Road and not read any other new ones for may. So what are you guys going to do? Let me know, what the plan, :smileywink:.

p.s. most all new books are listed under author instead of title, wish it was title, so you may have to look around a bit to find the book you are thinking about. Put the title and the author here if you find one you will be in ok?

Message Edited by vivico1 on 04-27-200710:39 AM

The three posts before this newest message weren't showing up for me until Viv wrote again. That was very strange but I'm glad they finally came through. I am just starting The Woods and look forward to that. I thought The Road sounded a bit too dark for me but everyone is giving such good recommendations that I might have to try it. I'm sure I wouldn't get to it in time for the discussion though. I do enjoy trying books that I normally wouldn't think to read on my own.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: PICKS FOR MAY/ My Antonia and The Road?

Hey guys, I found another discussion that is starting new that you might be interested in. Didnt some of you say you like romance novels? Somethng about the Indian capturing the white woman thing and falling in love type lol. Well there is another book starting new that is not under the author lead ones called MY ANTONIA, about an immigrant who comes to the American midwest in pioneer days and all the things that happen to her. It says its a classic, tho I dont know it, you guys might. Read the info on it and see what you think. Its listed under current discusssion but says NEW and the board is new, so we would be starting together. Also, its one of Barnes and Nobles little classics books, so its only like $6 in the stores and I am sure you can find it easily lots of places since its not just out. I may get that one this weekend and start on it, its only 233 pages and do that one and The Road, one dark but most excellent and one more along the uplifting romantic side you guys were talking about lol. Check it and see what you think of what it says, the author is Willa Cather but this one is listed by title best i remember since its not an author led one but a moderator lead discussion. Vivian

wrighty wrote:
The three posts before this newest message weren't showing up for me until Viv wrote again. That was very strange but I'm glad they finally came through. I am just starting The Woods and look forward to that. I thought The Road sounded a bit too dark for me but everyone is giving such good recommendations that I might have to try it. I'm sure I wouldn't get to it in time for the discussion though. I do enjoy trying books that I normally wouldn't think to read on my own.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hey Debbie,
Read your note and message in the Woods too and lets try this, I can't get anywhere today to get any other book but I will tell you what. Get the others in here who have discussed with us to go for the Woods too, and tomorrow, I will go to the nearest town where I can get it at Barnes and Noble. I guess I should get a membership card there if i am going to stay in the various bookclubs because I called the B&N there and they said its 40% off the these kind,(best sellers) 20% off regular hardbacks and 10% off everything else in there, including their little cafe stuff and magazines lol. On here it says the member price is 16.17 and online is $18.86 but the woman at the store said it was 18.86 in the store regularly, (not the suggested $27 it shows on here) and 40% off that for members so the book would only be $11.32 instead of the suggested price of $27 or the $16.17 for members it shows on here. I can do the $11.32. Got to come up with the $25 membership first but it should pay off over a year at that rate. BillT the LitEditor on here assures me Coben is like this Jackie, hard to put down so everyone can catch up and some dont have their books yet either since its new. This is making my head hurt LOL! Most months, I just know if i want to or not and what one i want to, but yeah I would like to join in conversation on the book with you guys and I will still be in THE ROAD, its too good of a book to miss. I have company coming tonight, for the weekend from Utah, so I can pick it up tomorrow in City but wont get to start reading probably till Monday. So convince me girl to pick one up tomorrow when we go to the city. LOL. Kiakar? What are you going to do? Cindersue? you going to have free time for a bookclub in May? And Debbie, how dare you mention the list they are showing for June to me already and get me looking that far ahead when i cant decide on this one darn month! LOL! as Captain Ahab would say guys...so what say ye all??? :smileywink: Vivian

Wrighty wrote:
Vivian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: PICKS FOR MAY/ My Antonia and The Road?

vivico1 wrote:
Hey guys, I found another discussion that is starting new that you might be interested in. Didnt some of you say you like romance novels? Somethng about the Indian capturing the white woman thing and falling in love type lol. Well there is another book starting new that is not under the author lead ones called MY ANTONIA, about an immigrant who comes to the American midwest in pioneer days and all the things that happen to her. It says its a classic, tho I dont know it, you guys might. Read the info on it and see what you think. Its listed under current discusssion but says NEW and the board is new, so we would be starting together. Also, its one of Barnes and Nobles little classics books, so its only like $6 in the stores and I am sure you can find it easily lots of places since its not just out. I may get that one this weekend and start on it, its only 233 pages and do that one and The Road, one dark but most excellent and one more along the uplifting romantic side you guys were talking about lol. Check it and see what you think of what it says, the author is Willa Cather but this one is listed by title best i remember since its not an author led one but a moderator lead discussion. Vivian

wrighty wrote:

Hey Viv and all; I have the book! Oh! boy! I have read it years ago and it will be fun to revisit and rediscover it again. Great! Are you still going to read THe woods when it comes!
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: PICKS FOR MAY/ My Antonia and The Woods

I got The Woods last night and have only been able to read a couple of chapters so far. (It's killing me not to be able to get to it much!) Today I found an ancient copy of My Antonia and I'm going to try to get to that one also. I guess the housework will just have to wait. Bummer. :smileywink:
Users Online
Currently online: 64 members 646 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: