Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapter Discussion: Prologue

I think making heroes more human might not be a totally bad thing. It can set up a sentiment: "Wow, if he or she could do that, then maybe I can, too." But sometimes such "humanization" of heroes is more about mudslinging and can create the opposite sentiment: "Why bother?!?" I think one of the reasons that voting numbers is so low and voter apathy so high is all the mudslinging by candidates. It does more damage than to just the opposing candidate. It sours the entire process. Maybe it's a time for heroes again.

Jim

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
I think making heroes more human might not be a totally bad thing. It can set up a sentiment: "Wow, if he or she could do that, then maybe I can, too." But sometimes such "humanization" of heroes is more about mudslinging and can create the opposite sentiment: "Why bother?!?" I think one of the reasons that voting numbers is so low and voter apathy so high is all the mudslinging by candidates. It does more damage than to just the opposing candidate. It sours the entire process. Maybe it's a time for heroes again.

Jim

I think we could use some real heroes again. Someone for kids and adults to look up to. Look who we have now that are considered "heros" or "role models", athletes on drugs and making millions and millions of dollars, rap artist who tell kids to hate the cops, women are ho**s and guns are cool. Starlets (or wannabes) who are drunken partying anorexic young people who are in trouble themselves. Politically, this is a time its hard to know who to look up to if any. I know the biggest heroes need to be right in your own home, but this is just in the idea of the old fashion heroes everyone could look up to, want to be like, because they were good and cared and stood for something, instead of falling for everything. I think thats one reason we love action adventure movies and books. You usually know the good guys from the bad guys and you have someone to root for, who will give their all for a person or a principle. That song is in my head now...We Need A Hero!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Jim,

I feel the same way about political bashing. I don't want to hear the candidates' opinions of the other guy, I say, tell me what's so great about you. I always think that if people have to talk about someone else, they must not have much to say about themselves.

A hero would be nice about now, I think. I'll take mine with some guts, some gusto and lots of integrity.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 308 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: