Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: Contaminated Waters

suetu wrote:

vivico1 wrote:Also, I just thought of something, is this a national thing or an oklahoma thing...we have a program here where if you have land or know of some with old oil sites on them that are abandoned and left to ruin the land and make it unusuable for anything, you can call this number and they go out and completely clean it up, clear out the bad soil and reclaim the land for you, free of charge. One of the commercials shows a farmer with some new farm land available to him now and one area in a town that is now a childrens playground/park with trees and stuff. I dont know if its the state that does it, or the biggest oil company here, I dont remember but its working. Is that everywhere? Or at least in the states where oil is a big business and we have this problem?

Vivian...

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/

yep. I am glad too that they advertise it on tv here so much. So many things available to us that dont cost us, we never know about because they dont make it known or easy to find but its on tv here alot.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

We use to pan gold from rivers. With these treasure troves of old hardwoods, it could be a new "gold rush." This time for valuable lumber. I'd like to see that Today Show program. Vivian, do you know if there was any Internet link mentioned during the show?

Jim

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
We use to pan gold from rivers. With these treasure troves of old hardwoods, it could be a new "gold rush." This time for valuable lumber. I'd like to see that Today Show program. Vivian, do you know if there was any Internet link mentioned during the show?

Jim

Jim, go to this link at the Today Show:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032633/#

then right there where it shows videos from today, click "next" until you get to the one that says..loggers who look for lumber. (shows a woman in a red life vest) I thought it wasn't changing the videos at first but it moves over one at a time, so you have to move it a couple of times to see it. Click on that and you can see the actual video article on it today. I watched it again and it is cool. It says they can do the whole process on one tree in only 3 minutes.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

Thank you Viv, for the information about harvesting the trees from underwater.

I would've thought that the wood was beyond use, but I am really excited to see that it is can still be used and thus spare the harvesting of the trees still growing above the water.
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Thanks, vivian, for the link! You rock! I'm going over to watch it right now!

Jim

Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

I watched the video from TODAY. It is fascinating stuff. It was also disturbing to hear/learn that forest lands the size of Greece get cleared every year.

For more disturbing facts along this line (but technological in nature), Jennie sent me the following link yesterday.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/shift

Well worth watching.

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
I watched the video from TODAY. It is fascinating stuff. It was also disturbing to hear/learn that forest lands the size of Greece get cleared every year.

For more disturbing facts along this line (but technological in nature), Jennie sent me the following link yesterday.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/shift

Well worth watching.

Jim

Its very disturbing. In the movie Medicine Man, with Shawn Connery, that didnt go over real big, he was a doctor in the amazon rain forest and found a plant that had cures for things we need right now and only grow in that area high up in the canopies of the jungle and the "deforesters" aka tree harvesters were coming closer and closer to where he was working. At the end it said how much of the rain forest there was being destroyed and said something like over 100 acres in just the time it took to watch that movie! Something like that. I think the movie didnt go over really big, cause tho the story was good and the place, beautiful, I think no one wanted to be lectured at the beginning or end of a movie about what we are doing. Maybe that movie should be rereleased right now when people are starting to listen.
Vivian
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

I remember Medicine Man. It was a great picture. In fact, it was inspirational for my book AMAZONIA, which deals with a similar theme of the rape of the rainforest and the potential loss of amazing biologicals.

By the way, Jennie also sent me this link, which is as hypnotic as it is disturbing:

http://www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock.swf

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
I remember Medicine Man. It was a great picture. In fact, it was inspirational for my book AMAZONIA, which deals with a similar theme of the rape of the rainforest and the potential loss of amazing biologicals.

By the way, Jennie also sent me this link, which is as hypnotic as it is disturbing:

http://www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock.swf

Jim

Well if that movie inspired your book Amazonia, then maybe thats the next one I read. Since this was my first of yours, I want to read more but didnt know where to start from here. Unless as a new fan, you would suggest one in particular to try next other than that one? Thanks.

That world clock page is something else, I have bookmarked it to keep.
Vivian
Contributor
Carrie
0 Kudos

Well if that movie inspired your book Amazonia, then maybe thats the next one I read. Since this was my first of yours, I want to read more but didnt know where to start from here. Unless as a new fan, you would suggest one in particular to try next other than that one? Thanks.

Hope you don't mind a fellow fan giving you some advice as well! Amazonia is a great read, as are all of Jim's books, but this is my favorite non-Sigma book. It depends on what you are looking for as to your next book though. Are you looking for more Sigma books? If so, I would recommend Sandstorm, then Map of Bones, then Deep Fathom (not a Sigma book, but it ties in), then Black Order. That kind of takes them in order so you can understand some references, you might then want to read The Judas Strain again & you'll really have some a-ha moments! Of course, any of his books are a fantastic adventure, so just pick one & enjoy if all else fails!
"I cannot live without books."- Thomas Jefferson
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Carrie wrote:

Hope you don't mind a fellow fan giving you some advice as well! Amazonia is a great read, as are all of Jim's books, but this is my favorite non-Sigma book. It depends on what you are looking for as to your next book though. Are you looking for more Sigma books? If so, I would recommend Sandstorm, then Map of Bones, then Deep Fathom (not a Sigma book, but it ties in), then Black Order. That kind of takes them in order so you can understand some references, you might then want to read The Judas Strain again & you'll really have some a-ha moments! Of course, any of his books are a fantastic adventure, so just pick one & enjoy if all else fails!

I am not looking for a Sigma book or any one in particular, since this is my first. I am just looking for another one of his to read and trying to decide which to go with. I really liked that movie and if Amazonia is along those lines, it may be that one, unless these are all serial books and I need to start at the first. Tho, with this one even, it really made no difference that I didnt know the characters from before to thoroughly enjoy it. It stands alone very well which is a tribute to Jim too because sometimes you can get a book and really feel like you are missing something, only to find out there were books before this you should have read first to know. Not so with this one, anyone can read this one new and really like it and not feel something is missing.Thats why i was surprised about the description of Monk from another book, this was so well self contained, I really didnt know there was another one with Monk in it. Kudos to Jim for that. I have been telling some of my friends in other bookclubs in here about this book all the time we have been discussing it. Definitely one I would recommend to friend whether they have read his work before or not. So if Amazonia is a stand alone book, that would be great too.
Vivian
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Vivian, feel free to read Amazonia at any time. It's a stand-alone adventure. So it can be read at any point. It's many people's favorite book of mine (and of course, I like it too....the veterinarian in my loved writing all those strange animals...including that orphaned jaguar teenager).

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
Vivian, feel free to read Amazonia at any time. It's a stand-alone adventure. So it can be read at any point. It's many people's favorite book of mine (and of course, I like it too....the veterinarian in my loved writing all those strange animals...including that orphaned jaguar teenager).

Jim

Thats the next one I will try then. Do you know I dont know the real name of my veterinarian? lol I have two cats, and the really pretty solid white one tends to have problems, I found out now that she is 10 that its very common with pure white cats, so wont get one again but love her to death. She's not albino just beautiful white and thinks shes still 2 and talks to you all the time, like a conversation. You talk, she talks then she waits for an answer. She will come into a room and say something with it raised at the end like a question Lol, I swear she thinks I know what shes saying. Anyway, my vet is this really tall man, i mean really tall, nearly 7 foot. So when I moved out here I looked for a vet, and in the phone book was Dr Tallman's office. When I went I thought wow, his name suits him but he probably hears that so much I wont say it again. So I have always called him Dr Tallman. Come to find out EIGHT years later LOL, thats not his name, he says that just what people remember the most or call him that tall Dr, that he just decided to go by that there LOL!

I am into animals, I love living out here in the country where I can see the occassional deer run across the road down to the big pond behind my house for water. There are road runners, lots of cottontails and jackrabbits, snakes, frogs lol, and little terrapins (turtles) that go roaming sometimes. But alas, as we talked about before in here about how we keep encroaching on natural habitats, from the hill behind me where I can see the best sunsets, there is a highway on the other side of it, that i cant see but they have started building really expensive homes over there and are coming over the hill and destroying the lands where the deer live and lots of other wild life. They run confused now across my backyard and someone down the road, found a cougar laying in their driveway one day when they got home and he was in no hurry to leave. They have offered money to some of the few land owners on this side for their land to keep coming over. Last figure was 19 times what I paid for mine, but they wont do it if they cant get everyone too and there are only 6 of us back here and 3 of us have vowed not to sell at any price and that will make all the lands back here stay the same for the wildlife thats left. Between the 6 of us, thats some good wooded area with lots of fresh water ponds. I hope we can all hold to it.It is easier when you know they cant buy it if all dont sell, so no one can individually. OK, I digress but I do so love to see the deer out here, the snakes, I just let them have the right of way LOL, after all, they tend to keep the mouse population down around your house.

Anyway, Amazonia sounds good. When I was in 6th grade, our teacher would take 30 minutes a day to read to us this book called The Rivers Ran East, about this guys real trip down the Amazon river and the tribes he ran into there, including Cannibals and it had pictures and one of this python that ate the guard who was on the boat one night. It got on but then couldnt get back out the hole, it was too large, so they found it the next day and cut it open and there he was, well a slightly crushed slightly digested version of him. I was totally intrigued and remembered the name of that book and when I got a couple of years older I found it and started to read it and found out how much he was leaving out as he read this to us. Also it had a lot of scientific words in it I think that I wasnt ready for in 8th grade. I remember thinking that maybe he read this to us because he was so engrossed in it and trying to read it but didnt have the time, so was reading it during class lol, leaving out certain things. I have not thought of that book in ages, I need to see if thats still a book in print. I have no idea who wrote it but I always remembered that Title and the pictures in it that they took.
Vivian
Contributor
Carrie
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

JamesRollins wrote:

Jim

Thats the next one I will try then.

Vivian,
You'll LOVE it. Lots of strange mutant animals/bugs and one of the characters has a pet (well sort of) jaguar, what more could you want? I was a vet tech before switching to human medicine, so maybe that's why I loved it so much! I read it in 2 days, it's that good!
"I cannot live without books."- Thomas Jefferson
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Vivian wrote: "Do you know I dont know the real name of my veterinarian?"

Well....since we're among friends...my real last name is a difficult one to pronounce and/or remember. If curious, the real last name is on the copyright page of every book. Anyway, all my clients simply called me "Dr. Jim." In fact, a few years back, I was climbing the on the Great Wall of China and I hear behind me: "Dr. Jim! Dr. Jim!" It seems my reputation as a veterinarian has traveled the globe. Okay, it actually was one of those freaky chance encounters where I ran into one of my former clients. And it still happens occasionally today. At the airport in Maui just last year. So it seems you can never truly escape your past.

Jim

Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Oh, and THANKS, Carrie, for your generous critique of AMAZONIA!

Jim

Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy: I don't remember the names of the Veterinarians at my local Clinic either. I just call up and make appointments for my pets, see whichever Vet is available for that day, and refer to them both as "Doc".
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:

Well....since we're among friends...my real last name is a difficult one to pronounce and/or remember. If curious, the real last name is on the copyright page of every book. Anyway, all my clients simply called me "Dr. Jim." In fact, a few years back, I was climbing the on the Great Wall of China and I hear behind me: "Dr. Jim! Dr. Jim!" It seems my reputation as a veterinarian has traveled the globe. Okay, it actually was one of those freaky chance encounters where I ran into one of my former clients. And it still happens occasionally today. At the airport in Maui just last year. So it seems you can never truly escape your past.

Jim

I was looking for your books, on your site and in here and at some of the sites listed on your website and somwhere along there, I saw your last name. It didnt even occur to me that you used a pen name. I think I would have to hear your name once to know how to pronounce it right. So how did you come up with Rollins then, to write with? I read on here you have another one too and read about some of those books too. I am thinking I lean more to the Rollin's ones tho :smileywink:. Some of my friends used to tell me if I ever wrote anything to publish, (I used to write poetry and short stories for friends and a couple of places), they said I should use my middle name and my real father's last name. Then it would be Elaine Matthews, which isnt a bad pen name but I told them, so few people know either of those names that anything I ever get published is going to be under my real name so they KNOW it is me LOL. Not just vanity, but also because I am such a practical joker, I would never be able to prove to them that Elaine Matthews was me! lol.
Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Jim,

While this is an idiosyncrasy of mine and probably mine alone, but I love distinct names, and yours is fantastic. My son knows a boy whose last name is Czajka, and they call the poor child something that sounds like Psycho! My son finally showed me the spelling, and I just had to laugh.
Stephanie
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Actually "Rollins" is a derivation of my father's first name "Ronald." I figured if I wasn't using his last name (which by the way is pronounced like the musical composer Tchaikovsky) that I'd use his first name, but "James Ronald" was too confusing: is it James Ronald, Ronald James? So we played with Ronald and ended up with Rollins. I was also informed that it had to be TWO syllables. Why two? If it's one syllable, the name is too easy to forget. If it's three syllables, it's too hard to remember? So like Goldilocks and the porridges, it seems TWO syllables is just right.

Ah, the marketing folks....ya, gotta love em!

Jim

Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 300 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: