Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Favorite Quotes and Passages

Jim's book is so chock full of great scenes and great lines, I thought we could all share our favorites here.

I'll hold off on posting mine until you all get a chance to chime in.
Stephanie
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Quotes and Passages

How about the passage where I put Susan's appendectomy scar on the wrong side of her body? (grin) Just goes to show no one's perfect!

Jim

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
How about the passage where I put Susan's appendectomy scar on the wrong side of her body? (grin) Just goes to show no one's perfect!

Jim

I still like the one where Monk is onshore at the island and the others ask him where they are going and he knows there are cannibals on the island, so he says something like, lets go check out the neighbors, see whats cooking. LOL That was almost like a Schwarzenegger line of little comic relief right in the middle of a dangerous situation.

As far as scenes, hey I think Gray's mom is something else. And when they tell her on the phone while she is hiding that she will have to do something, how much could she do...theres the scuffle outside and one of them is about to be killed and BANG, she shoots one of Nassar's men right in the head! I can just see her standing there with dead aim and not even flinching when she did it because her family was in danger. As I mentioned about Invasion and Aliens, you just dont mess with MOTHERS! :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Jim,

And for a woman who knew her child had appendicitis immediately when he told her the pain was localized on the right side, I should have caught you but I didn't. Guess I was too wrapped up in the story!
Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Vivian,

Yes- that was a great line of Monk's I loved that. Great thinking about using Susan as a goddess, too- that was one I didn't see coming till it was sneaking around the corner.

Also, Monk's hand - I LOVE that device! It's right up my high-tech alley, and while I'd hate to lose an appendage, I want one of those hands!
Stephanie
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Speaking of Monk's hand, DARPA continues to innovate new bionic solutions and prosthetics. Here's an article about the next level of limb replacement: touch and sensory input.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-generations-of-bionic-arms-35648.shtml

Jim

Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

I still personally enjoy writing Kowalski and Monk. They crack me up all the time. Of course, people look at me a bit oddly when I start spontaneously laughing when I'm writing in public.

Jim

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Jim,

Thanks for that bionic link! I suppose I could go wrestle the lawn mower....

As to your laughing in public- that's excellent! I can picture that. I always get a kick out of seeing people laughing to themselves, though it's usually when they're reading in public, in the doc's office or a restaurant. You know when it happens to you, and you look up and just want to share it? Then you see the looks you're getting, and your head goes right back down!
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Oh one of my favorite scenes too is when its basically all over and Kowalski is kinda down, Gray asks why and Kowalski tells him, all this has happened and I didnt get to shoot anyone (or shoot even once, something like that). Gray feels sorry for him, hands him a ten, and points at the elephant LOL. It was like, here son, I know you didnt get to kill anyone but heres ten bucks for that pony, er, elephant ride you missed. And Kowalski like the kid. is happy with it too! :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Vivian,

I know just what you mean- that's a "fun" scene at the end of the story- it lightens everything up and brings us just a little bit closer to who the characters really are at heart. I love those moments just for that reason.
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

I know just what you mean- that's a "fun" scene at the end of the story- it lightens everything up and brings us just a little bit closer to who the characters really are at heart. I love those moments just for that reason.

oh, this "fun" scene with Kowalski comes towards the end of the book but is not the end of the story, even in this book. It was just towards the end and actually, I had a bit of a problem, shall we say lol, with the ending, but Jim squared that away for me and so its all cool. I didnt mean, I like fun scenes at the end to kind of lighten it all up and tie up lose ends. (heavens, I read The Road and there is no fun ending there but one of the best books you will read) I just liked that passage in the last few chapters. As for this ending, it was much more thought provoking. It was very open ended. Now that we are into the last week, I would like to know what everyone thought about the ending and be specific if you can because its one of those, "left up to your interpretation" type endings.

As far as Monk's hand at the end, I do believe this was the lead in to a sequel which would be cool, or at least to let us know Jim is not through with Monk as a character in future books lol. But what do you all think about Susan's end? Dream? Death? Re-emergence in another lifeform? Sleep until the world has a need for her to be awake again, so now she can just sleep and dream of happier times for years or centuries? What was your take on the ending? This one I am really curious about everyone's thoughts now. Did you like that it ended that way or do you prefer endings with specific understanding, or at least the type you get with Monk's hand? I can see no right or wrong answers or feelings there, so please chip in with your thoughts. It was quite a unique ending for this adventure story dont you think?
Vivian
Contributor
seattle1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I too was glad about Monk's hand at the end of the book - because I wanted him to make it and come back and also because it sounds like a sequel!

I was saddened about Susan's end, sounds like next to the 12th century Friar (sounded like he was still alive but in a self induced coma) a form of lingering death - but if it takes many centuries to dissolve as the other bodies have I too wondered if she would end up coming to life if there is a sequel.

One portion of the book that was fun was the dialogue about automobiles - between Gray's dad & Kolwaski -the 350 vs 390 engine block etc and also about the taxi matched pound by pound to speed. Reminds me a little of the one Clive Cussler book I read where it was obvious the author loved cars and machinery.

From early on, I felt there was something between Seichan and Gray, so it was good to see my pick up on that seemed validated - I actually hope they get together.

Yes, it was a great read, went quickly and I look forward to the next novel.

By the way, Jim, I tried to sign on to your website but was unable to - wouldn't send me the confirmation.

Message Edited by seattle1 on 08-30-2007 06:45 PM
Contributor
seattle1
0 Kudos

Oh, yes, I found the last scene between Predesh (the Indian scientist in charge of The Guild operation) and his henchwoman Sirina just delightful. It was casually done. I wonder how she disappeared and escaped.
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Thanks for the head's up about the website...I'll have to look into it when I get home!

As to Seichan...there is much more in store for her and Gray!

Jim

Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 458 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: