Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Mia_C
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from James Rollins

Hi again. I just realized something -- you stay up pretty late. Is that a normal thing for you? Do you lose track of time when writing?

Thanks for this forum. It's been a blast. I must confess that I am nowhere near being able to read all posts. I'm trying though. But it might explain how late I am at wishing you a happy birthday. Better late than never?
Contributor
seattle1
0 Kudos

Yes, this has been a fun website. I saw the discussion of the new movie, Invaders, and Jim's write up discussion on NPR of the book. I hadn't realized it was based on a book. I too, like Stephanie, grew up watching the original on T.V. I remember catching the first re-make on T.V. also - I remember Donald Sutherland but I didn't realize Jeff Goldblum was in it too - I will have to catch it again. I seem to remember Karen Allen in it (she played in the first Indiana Jones movie and also a small roll in Animal House I believe she was the thirteen year old in the shopping cart that went out with Tim Hulce - he later played in Amadaeus - what a transition in roles). I was wondering if I should see the newest version.

Well, this sounds like goodbye unless I catch people on another website. - By the way I saw Stephanie had an older brother that terrorized her - Jim, is Stephanie one of your siblings? I remember you said you kept your siblings scared with stories growing up.
New User
Lyaera
0 Kudos

Hi James!

I just wanted to say hello! The first fantasy book I ever read was actually Wit'ch Fire. It is still to this day a series that I can't even begin to match. Not only have I harrassed all of my friends over the years to read the series, but read the entire series three times now!

I know this is your sci-fi site, and I don't want to overtake it, but while waiting for the second Godslayer book to come out, I decided to pick up one of your sci-fi books, and let me just say, I LOVE reading about Sigma Force. I'm a bit backwards however. I started with Black Order, then read Judas Strain, and just now picked up Map of Bones. Quick note: my fav character is Monk, so I was VERY happy to read that last chapter in Judas Strain!!!

OK my hidden agenda in this posting: When is the next Godslayer coming out?!?! I know have plenty of reading to keep me busy in the meantime now that I found Sigma Force, however I'm still itching to know!

By the way, I have tried other series by authors with multiple series, and I always found that when they branched out, they always wound up losing something along the way. Sometimes it was in writing style, others in creativity of characters or story lines. Finding myself anxious to read another one of your novels to the point that I NEED to try my best to read each book in one sitting (hrmm I sound a bit crazed huh?)just amazes me. You continue to write books that leave me wanting more in a positive way (like researching or questioning), as well as a confidence of knowing that no matter what other book I read by you, I will find that same fulfillment as I did in the last.

So yes...about my little Dart? When will I find out more about her?!?

~Leslie
New User
kimcon
0 Kudos

I'm so excited that there's a dicussion board on here. Let me just say that I first read Sandstorm and since then have been HOOKED to James Rollins novels. I was an Anthropology major in college and the amount of research that goes into these books just amazes me. I have read evey book and recommend you to everyone I know. My husband doesn't even really take the time to read and he's even hooked now. So, please keep up what you're doing. I was recently in California and the only thing I really wanted to do to was go to one of your book signings. Unfortunately time contraints made that impossible.

I have looked at the number of research materials you use in some of your books. My question is, do you do that for every book you write and if so, how do you find the time to read all that and write your novel AND work? Does it take all your time or do you have any free time?
New User
kimcon
0 Kudos

Oh, I forgot to ask a question. I don't know if anyone can answer this but it's been bugging me. I recently read a book by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child called Thunderhead. There is a reporter from New York named Bill Smithback. I could swear I read that same character in one of James Rollins novels and I've been going through all the ones I can find (recently moved and some are still in boxes). Does anyone know of that name being in one of his books? I know it was in some book I read and it's driving me nuts.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kimcon wrote:
I'm so excited that there's a dicussion board on here. Let me just say that I first read Sandstorm and since then have been HOOKED to James Rollins novels. I was an Anthropology major in college and the amount of research that goes into these books just amazes me. I have read evey book and recommend you to everyone I know. My husband doesn't even really take the time to read and he's even hooked now. So, please keep up what you're doing. I was recently in California and the only thing I really wanted to do to was go to one of your book signings. Unfortunately time contraints made that impossible.

I have looked at the number of research materials you use in some of your books. My question is, do you do that for every book you write and if so, how do you find the time to read all that and write your novel AND work? Does it take all your time or do you have any free time?

Kim, sorry to tell ya, we had this club in Aug and its over and the author and gang are gone. I just happened to look back to try to find someone's name.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
seattle1
0 Kudos

For whatever reason I happened to peak back and saw Kimcom's question. I have read all of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's books (including the new Wheel of Darkness as of a few hours ago) and also all of Jim Rollin's books. Bill Smithback is in several of Preston-Child's books but I have never seen his name in any of James Rollins' book. (I would have noticed because I had read all of Preston-Child's novels first and then J.Rollins' and then have kept up with each new one).

Kay
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 526 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: