Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Jennie
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from James Rollins

Hi Jim
I love your books because they always leave me wanting more. You always have the components that make books interesting: History, science; (believable and unbelievable), humor, good characters, interesting locations and a dose of spirituality. All these require an extra bit of thought and make your books outstanding! I read them twice because I always miss something. Not twice in a row however, I need time to digest and read other stuff then come back to yours.
Jennie B
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

Hi, THE JUDAS STRAIN is the first I've your books I've read. Now I have to read the rest of them. I enjoyed it very much. I couldn't put it down. I love serials because you get to really know the characters.
Sheila
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Jim,

Do you have a sequel to Judas in the works? If so, is a release date set? Title? (I'm a little pushy, eh? :smileyhappy: )
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from James Rollins (spoiler to end of book!!!)

Stephanie wrote:
Jim,

Do you have a sequel to Judas in the works? If so, is a release date set? Title? (I'm a little pushy, eh? :smileyhappy: )

This will be a spoiler, but yeah I was wondering that too because of the ending which I unlike some others, didnt like for that reason. I wondered if James' books tended to be sequels and this was not the place for someone like me, a new reader of his work to start, with this particular book. I have heard about some of the characters in here being in previous ones now and also I still say its spoilers to others to tell about the two that will be in books to come like was spoken of in here because there were times in the book, you had to wonder if they were alive or dead or going to be. By saying they will be around in others, you know they live, so I will put a spoiler warning on this one in the subject. Because I will say this now , since someone mentioned it too, the hand thing at the end, I can live with that as a what the? oh then he might be?? that one is ok, I guess, but could lend to a sequel. But James, I dont get the ending! Did she dream it all? Did she lay down and die and this is her heaven with her husband?? I dont get it! This part was for me like 2001: A Space Odyssey. I loved the entire book and movie but I really didnt get the ending at all, as so many didnt. Since we got you here with us now, what better chance to have something explained than to ask the author himself, not others. What the heck happened to her??? Dream or death or what? That left an unsatisfied taste in my mouth and if i want to refer this book to others, I would really like to understand the ending. Thanks a bunch for answering!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Welcome, Sheila!

Stephanie, the next book is almost finished. I've seen the cover...it's very striking. The title may change, so I'll withhold passing that out for the moment.

Vivian, you are right about inadvertant spoilers, so I'm reluctant to go into great lengths detailing the fate of S. But I do have my own answer to that question. If you go to my website (www.jamesrollins.com) and click on the "contact Jim" link, I'd be happy to discuss this in private. I'd hate to have someone accidentally read the answer here and totally ruin the ending. But I love your enthusiasm!

Jim

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Frequent Contributor
hawaiianchique
0 Kudos

Jim,
The Judas Strain was the first book of yours that I had the privilege to read. I loved it! Upon finishing it, I went directly to B&N to find another one of your books. I ended up walking out with Map of Bones. I'm already absorbed in it. Do you have any little "tidbits" for me to keep in mind as I read? I can't wait find out what happens :smileyhappy:
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Hawaiianchique asks: "Do you have any little "tidbits" for me to keep in mind as I read?"

Only about 1/10 of the research for that book ended up between the covers. I love to explore deeply into the subject matter, so deeply that sometimes I forget I have to actually write! (grin) I do lay out "what's true and what's not" at the back of each book, and I leave several references to the books that inspired the books. So if interested, there's more to explore when you turn the last page.

Also from your username, I assume you live among the Hawaiian Islands. Yes? I'll be teaching at the Maui Writers Conference in a couple weeks. I get out there at least every other year. Love it.

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
Welcome, Sheila!

Stephanie, the next book is almost finished. I've seen the cover...it's very striking. The title may change, so I'll withhold passing that out for the moment.

Vivian, you are right about inadvertant spoilers, so I'm reluctant to go into great lengths detailing the fate of S. But I do have my own answer to that question. If you go to my website (www.jamesrollins.com) and click on the "contact Jim" link, I'd be happy to discuss this in private. I'd hate to have someone accidentally read the answer here and totally ruin the ending. But I love your enthusiasm!

Jim

Jim,
Thank you so much, I did send the question there. I really loved this book for many reasons. I have some of the same curiosities about science and life and the earth that you do so it really hit the spot. I have another big question too but I will save it till we get to that part of the book in here :smileywink: its not the same kind as what I asked you on your site. Thanks again. Vivian
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Jim,

Do you know when your publisher expects to release the next book? My curiosity is equalling my "what's next" feeling the same as when reading Harry Potter. I'm completely enamored of your research (I'm something of an information junkie) but your suspense! Wonderful.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
hawaiianchique
0 Kudos

Jim,
I love that you include that info in the back of your books. The world we live in is so enormous and loaded with wonderful, as well as aweful, things for us to discover. You have presented me with the opportunity to make some of these discoveries. It's great to be entertained by a captivating story. But it's even better to learn and be opened up to the world at the same time.

Unfortunatly, I don't live in the islands. My heritage is hawaiian and I have family there. Hopefully, I will live there myself one day :smileyhappy:
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Stephanie asks: "Do you know when your publisher expects to release the next book?"

I haven't heard an exact publication date, but I suspect it will be near the end of June or first week of July. That's when they've released a majority of the books.

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Indian Ocean Isles question and question for Steph and Bill

Jim, the Islands where they take the ship to hole up, you said there were thousands of them covering an area the size of the whole US to hide in, if i am remembering right. Is there a name for this chain of Islands so I might look them up? I bet you said in the book but I was on the edge of my set by this point and might have missed it lol. Also the island, as you described it, that they do port in, is that one that you have seen? Or was it one you made up for the story? This island intrigues me.

Bill or Stephanie....we are a week in now, could we maybe have some mid book threads or something to work off of so we know what we can talk about where? I love all the discussions on the ideas the book makes you think about, they are great, but I am looking for some talk about the book itself too and to talk about some parts of it that I am afraid to say too much about without some threads to some point in the book. Thanks for some help there. I want to discuss the story now :smileytongue:, not just the implications behind some of the ideas, tho you know me, I will always have something to say on those too :smileywink:
Vivian
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Re: Indian Ocean Isles question and question for Steph and Bill

Vivian, it's the Indonesian Islands. They encompass a wide swath of the ocean, and thousands of islands (large and small). As to the island in the book, that's of my own imagination. At least I hope so! But there are many islands in the chain that are homes to pirates and do have hidden and/or camouflaged lagoons and ports.

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
Vivian, it's the Indonesian Islands. They encompass a wide swath of the ocean, and thousands of islands (large and small). As to the island in the book, that's of my own imagination. At least I hope so! But there are many islands in the chain that are homes to pirates and do have hidden and/or camouflaged lagoons and ports.

Jim

**** SPOILER WARNING for pages 175 on****
Now that was something that interested me Jim, that i couldnt quite see how it worked. The canopy, camouflage over the lagoon of the island. I kept trying to picture, how do you set up that kind of thing over an island or lagoon even, thats big enough to hide a ship? Thats a lot of area to hold up and if you did it from mountaintop to mountaintop, how is that supported, the whole framework on its own? And when they dropped down on lines to the ship, I couldnt see how that wouldnt be too far a drop. That it would be unlikely to have lines up there long enough to drop down or that if its several hundred feet above the ship then isnt that low on the island? I really could see them crawling across this thing and dropping down, that wasnt the problem. The problem was in size and proportion and how it was all held up. Can you help me out with that a bit? Was it just the lagoon and how high was it suppose to be that it needed no supports other than on the edges of the dome shape? I see here you said there are camouflaged lagoons there, I am not saying it cant be done, I am saying, this is something new to me that I just cant quite wrap my mind around how it looks or works. Very intriguing tho. Help lol.
Vivian
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

There really are lagoons that are covered in disguising canopies, some quite extensive. None probably as large as described in the book (at least as far as I know). In the novel, I describe the canopy as being constructed of different materials, suggesting it was constructed piecemeal over the centuries, starting small and stretching to encompass the entire lagoon/lake as more advanced materials were incorporated.

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
There really are lagoons that are covered in disguising canopies, some quite extensive. None probably as large as described in the book (at least as far as I know). In the novel, I describe the canopy as being constructed of different materials, suggesting it was constructed piecemeal over the centuries, starting small and stretching to encompass the entire lagoon/lake as more advanced materials were incorporated.

Jim

Something of that magnitude without huge tremendously tall supports from underneath all over is hard for me to fathom. That would be awesome to see. Come to think of it, it kind of reminds me of your description of the dome at Hagia, how it looks like it just floats there. And it does kinda look that way in the pictures. Incredible architecture and I guess this would be too.. the dome of doom :smileywink:
Vivian
Contributor
Mia_C
0 Kudos

Hello. Thank you for giving your readers an opportunity to communicate with you. Obviously, I'm a fan, however trite that word may be. I've just finished your latest book and I really enjoyed it. It never ceases to amaze me how you achieve a balance between historical facts and your own fictional plot. Your premises always sound novel and, more importantly, believable.

I am curious about an idea you brought up -- the notion of a divine code implanted in our DNA. Is this what you beleive, if you don't mind my asking? As fas as the scientific aspect that you introduced me to, you have certainly gotten me interested in finding out more about it.

Thank you for your informative, thought-provoking and enjoyable books. I look forward to the next one (please don't make us wait too long!).
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

"the notion of a divine code implanted in our DNA. Is this what you beleive, if you don't mind my asking?"

One of the cores to this novel is the fact that our DNA code does appear to have some fundamental language-like organization to it...and that this same organization extends into what scientists have always considered to junk DNA, which makes up over 90% of our DNA strands, DNA that has been considered to non-functional (hence, classified as "junk"). It begs the question then: if such "junk" DNA is non fuctional, why does it still adhere to this strange organizational pattern? Is there an untapped resource there? And why do we only use a small fraction of our brain power/mass? Is there a correlation between the two? This became the core to this book. I certainly DO believe there is more to explore and that SOMETHING is going on in our DNA that remains beyond our current comprehension. But is it something divine or merely biological? I don't know, but I love to speculate about it and to shine a light upon this mystery buried in all of us.

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
"the notion of a divine code implanted in our DNA. Is this what you beleive, if you don't mind my asking?"

One of the cores to this novel is the fact that our DNA code does appear to have some fundamental language-like organization to it...and that this same organization extends into what scientists have always considered to junk DNA, which makes up over 90% of our DNA strands, DNA that has been considered to non-functional (hence, classified as "junk"). It begs the question then: if such "junk" DNA is non fuctional, why does it still adhere to this strange organizational pattern? Is there an untapped resource there? And why do we only use a small fraction of our brain power/mass? Is there a correlation between the two? This became the core to this book. I certainly DO believe there is more to explore and that SOMETHING is going on in our DNA that remains beyond our current comprehension. But is it something divine or merely biological? I don't know, but I love to speculate about it and to shine a light upon this mystery buried in all of us.

Jim

Jim,
way back when, I dont even remember when we did it, but when we sent well, basically a package out to the stars with things in it about earth and us, I remember that drawing of di vinci's body of man I think with it, and also a binary code language (since we at least, think of math as the universal language) besides samples of many earth voices and languages...were we into DNA stuff then? Do you remember, or remember what that craft was called to look it up? I was just reading your note here on the language in the DNA and I had found that fascinating too in the book and I just thought..."what if" we had sent that out there too? What if someone out there could read on our DNA what we cant? Would they recognize us as brothers? Or would we be giving some civilization the exact means for our destruction that we cant even figure out yet? Who would come, brother or foe? What would that DNA sent to space mean for all of us here if someone out there could understand it? hmmmm interesting idea! :smileywink:
Vivian
Contributor
Mia_C
0 Kudos

Hi. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think it was included in the Voyager space missions, maybe in the 70s or 80s, which sought to explore the farther planets. I remember reading that Carl Sagan had some participation in selecting and including a type of data and/or sound recording of information about life on earth, including a wide sampling of the different languages spoken on earth. It may have included a sketch of the Da Vinci's Vitruvian man which was used by several space missions. I think there was a debate about whether including such recording was wise on the off chance that there existed hostile life in other planets.
Users Online
Currently online: 60 members 269 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: