Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from James Rollins

Mia_C wrote:
Hi. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think it was included in the Voyager space missions, maybe in the 70s or 80s, which sought to explore the farther planets. I remember reading that Carl Sagan had some participation in selecting and including a type of data and/or sound recording of information about life on earth, including a wide sampling of the different languages spoken on earth. It may have included a sketch of the Da Vinci's Vitruvian man which was used by several space missions. I think there was a debate about whether including such recording was wise on the off chance that there existed hostile life in other planets.

I think you're right that it was one of the Voyagers. Hey wouldnt the idea of sending out our DNA language to space be a great "what if" story lol , i do. :smileywink: James, you have us in the ocean, what do you think about taking us to the stars with one like this, or them to us anyway lol :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from James Rollins (spoiler to end of book!!!)

JamesRollins wrote:
Stephanie asks: "Do you know when your publisher expects to release the next book?"

I haven't heard an exact publication date, but I suspect it will be near the end of June or first week of July. That's when they've released a majority of the books.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I'll make sure B&N updates me on your future releases.
Stephanie
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Intriguing "What if?" Vivian! A disturbing thought that someone/something might be able to read that code and discover more about us than we know ourselves. What might be the reaction to THAT DNA-coded story buried in us?

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had a trip on Saturday over to Nevada to do a booksigning in Reno.

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Contributor
nsully
0 Kudos

hi jim,
I have a quick question for you, everytime I read your books the word subteranean jumps out at me in just about every book I think, although I have not got to deep fathom yet and maybe not ice hunt? So do you do that on purpose for your first book or is it just a word you use alot? Thanks.
Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hmm, that's interesting. I hadn't noticed the word subterranean appearing that often in the other stories. Of course, I wasn't looking for it either.

Message Edited by Vila on 08-13-2007 05:31 PM
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

End of book Question*** possible spoiler warning

Jim,
Before this becomes only an actor hunt LOL (but thats so fun, see we want this to be a movie hehe). I do have some other questions for you. Things you bring up in the book, that I found very interesting. Like the life cycle of this thing. The linear idea of how it transfers...human --> arthropod --> Human, made sense to me too. That is how we have seen some viruses spread. But then when they go to the triangular idea:

Arthropod -------- Mammals
```````\............/
`````Cyanobacteria

(only way I could draw it in here, it wont let you leave blanks between or in front of words :smileywink:)
This made me think of a real cycle of life, and the migratory feelings that came with it were scary. I liked how we started with the crabs on Christmas island and wind up with Susan knowing where she needs to go when it really starts to change in her. For me personally, there is a spiritual feel to that idea too tho, a feeling of going back home after this form. I think both patterns happen in nature dont they? And this book wouldn't have worked, with what happens to Susan in the end, if this thing had been linear would it? Is that why they shift from linear to the more cyclical relationship of this thing in the story? Does that even make sense, what I am trying to say?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Cannibalism

Jim,
The thing about a gene and cannibalism. I cant find where that is now but was it that there was a gene in us to keep up from eating other humans or we had a gene that could make us cannibalistic that is dormant? I am a bit confused on that. I remember reading in an anthropological magazine or on seeing it on PBS some time back, talking about tribes who do practice cannibalism, that many developed a disease affecting the brain that they said was similar to mad cow disease. Many died or went crazy and died younger than they could have because of it. I remember thinking, well if it will kill us to do so, like mad cow can, it makes sense, in order to keep some species from destroying themselves. Or why some animals are carnivors and some aren't. The idea of feeding meat to a cow freaks me out anyway, much less the idea of cannibalism. I think there is something scarier to us too about seeing humans chasing down and chowing down on other humans than a human being eaten by any other animal. Unles they are in a stupid zombie movie :smileywink: I think people who cant outrun zombies who move about as fast as Tim Conway playing that old man, deserve to be eaten LOL! Zombies are not scary to me. Now if they were fast, if they came running out of the jungle like these guys and hunting and fighting and catching you offguard and biting into you and all of them jumping on you chewing , ewww ok Jim, thats freakin scary!!
Vivian
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Nsully, I wasn't consciously inserting subterranean into other novels as a plug or anything. It just seems that my characters are always going underground for some reason in the books, and it gets repetitive to keep using the word underground; so it gets varied with the word subterranean. I'm currently reading a book by Jeff Long, titled DEEPER (which is a sequel to his novel DESCENT) about a earth-straddling deep cavern system populated by devil-like creatures. It seems every other line uses the word subterranean. But again maybe I'm sensitized to it. Either way, both of Long's books are great, by the way.

Vivian, as to the circular nature of the organism's lifecycle. You are most correct about it representing a circular path for Susan in a larger sense: returning to the start of the book (the prologue at sea), returning home, and the larger arc of the human form returning to its most perfect incarnation that lies buried in our DNA.

As to cannabalism and our genetics, there was a fascinating series of articles showing that in our DNA contains protective genes that only function if we eat another human being's brain. This discovery suggests that cannabilism may have been common in early man. I found that disturbing, so wanted to fold that tidbit into the storyline.

And you should see what's coming in next summer's book! There are some shocking bits that blew me away...but were dead-on true. So stay tuned!

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
Nsully, I wasn't consciously inserting subterranean into other novels as a plug or anything. It just seems that my characters are always going underground for some reason in the books, and it gets repetitive to keep using the word underground; so it gets varied with the word subterranean. I'm currently reading a book by Jeff Long, titled DEEPER (which is a sequel to his novel DESCENT) about a earth-straddling deep cavern system populated by devil-like creatures. It seems every other line uses the word subterranean. But again maybe I'm sensitized to it. Either way, both of Long's books are great, by the way.

Vivian, as to the circular nature of the organism's lifecycle. You are most correct about it representing a circular path for Susan in a larger sense: returning to the start of the book (the prologue at sea), returning home, and the larger arc of the human form returning to its most perfect incarnation that lies buried in our DNA.

As to cannabalism and our genetics, there was a fascinating series of articles showing that in our DNA contains protective genes that only function if we eat another human being's brain. This discovery suggests that cannabilism may have been common in early man. I found that disturbing, so wanted to fold that tidbit into the storyline.

And you should see what's coming in next summer's book! There are some shocking bits that blew me away...but were dead-on true. So stay tuned!

Jim

I will be looking for it! You have an uncanny way of finding those freaky tidbits that make us all go...I didnt know that! and then taking them and making a great story with them. Makes for some great reading :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:

Jim

It is recorded that the only time strange brain diseases were passed on was when the cannibals handled or ate the human brain.

I started reading up on cannibalism, and found many disturbing reports of tribes of people performing cannibalism as a ritual, but then becoming to develop a preference for the human meat, and the ritual part of the act was lost.

It does appear though, from all the information I read, that cannibalism (as a habit, rather than a necessity for survival), started as a spiritual ritual. Either as sacrifice to appease a god, or as an act of respect for a deceased member of the family. There are still groups of people who believe in the ritual eating of a deceased family member. They do not practice, (or at least admit it), the eating of the deceased anymore.

Here where I work, one of my co-workers found an ad on the internet offering the services of preserving and processing the deceased into a pasteurized, easily stored and edible form, like capsules. I am still looking at the link for that website so I can share it with you, if any are interested in looking at that sort of thing.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re:books

Jim,
earlier you mentioned some books you read. I was thinking about some books I have read lately and very different kinds, from just summer chick books with some friends to thrillers to history and biography books. I think you said something about shadow divers, have you read Kurson's recent book Crashing Through? Its an amazing story and we had some great convos with him. Also, did you read The Road? The book I read with some of my girlfriends was good and had some nice moments, it was a light read after all, but I wanted something grittier too and The Road is the first book in a very long time that just flat had me sobbing at the end. Its a post apocalyptic book, you know not a lot of good things are going to happen in it but still, the relationship in it, I actually sobbed!
Vivian
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Re: Re:books

Oh, I loved THE ROAD. If you can use the term "love" for such a grim apocalyptic tale. It read the book almost entirely in one sitting. Afterward I had to go out and sit in the sun for while to escape the chill of that story...and to appreciate the very fact that there was a bright warm sun out there.

But no, I've not read CRASHING THROUGH. Do you recommend it?

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
Oh, I loved THE ROAD. If you can use the term "love" for such a grim apocalyptic tale. It read the book almost entirely in one sitting. Afterward I had to go out and sit in the sun for while to escape the chill of that story...and to appreciate the very fact that there was a bright warm sun out there.

But no, I've not read CRASHING THROUGH. Do you recommend it?

Jim

I highly recommend it, you can read an except on it in here if you look up his book. Its a true story about a man Mike May, who was blinded as a child and gets his site back as an adult thru surgery and all that it entailed. Its written as a wonderful novel almost tho but has some of the science of it in there too. I asked Kurson about if Mike had a particular problem that I had thought of, because the science of this so interested me and I had learned a bit about it in a psych course in college, there are definate problems you have when you regain your sight, that you have to deal with but Mike is an extraordinary man and i was looking him up on the web, about his life, just as you had me looking up things with this book :smileywink: . Anyway, what I asked him, he said , you know Vivian, in the two years I worked with him, I cant believe I didnt ask him that, I will email him and let you know and he did, and sure enough it was a problem for Mike that he was going to try to over come that he hadnt realized was maybe so different, but he knew it was a problem for him. So they were both really kind in getting back to me and telling us that in the room and shhhh, dont tell anyone, but they have both promised to send me a copy of the book with both their signatures in it! AWESOME. Robert said, I think you will find Mike's interesting, he signs in braille and in writing. He said Mike is away on tour right now tho, so it will take some time but know that you will be getting a little gift in the mail one day as soon as we can. I hope he doesnt forget, that would be great to have the writer and the subjects autograph in that book! I am looking forward to a few bookplates from an author I admire now too, now that I know about them, I was told they will be coming soon too and I trust that. :smileywink: Man I do love books!

You like adventures Jim, this is an adventure and really well written. Kurson said it isnt often he finds men like this, or like in shadow divers, I havent read it yet but intent to, but he says when he does, its a treasure for him. We talked about heroes in here, these guys are in just how they lead their lives and Mike is an adventurer and just doing this surgery was that, because its done so seldom, its so rare to be able to do, that they are still studying what it does to a person after all that time blind. Read the except on the page for it in here and you will think you are just reading a novel, there is nothing textbookish about this story.

I know that on The Road, it took several days for me to shake that feeling too. That was a powerful book and story of love. Great , great book.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Oh Jim, I wanted to tell you, about the cannibals, there is a line Monk says that I absolutely loved and one of the few points I could just really crack up in the midst of all this action and scary island stuff, and thats what he says at the top of page 236. GREAT LINE!!! :smileywink:
Vivian
New User
arlie2005
0 Kudos

Hi Jim

Just read on your website about you and The Judas Strain being featured here on B&N for August, sorry I missed half the month. I really enjoyed meeting you at the book signing in 1000 Oaks, California and hearing you talk about writing The Judas Strain.
I have been reading all the posts in this thread and there are certainly some great questions, and answers, hehe.
I'm just beginning the novel and maybe will have some
questions also, probably not great ones.

Arlie
Van Nuys California
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Hi Arlie! Welcome....I was wondering where you were?!? (grin)

Jim

New User
Ames1278
0 Kudos

Re:books

Hi Jim,

I guess I'm much like Arlie: I recently found out that you were having this discussion on B&N.com...so sorry that I'm late! Judas Strain was actually the first book of yours that I read (I had it recommended to me by someone at Borders). After I finished it, I immediately went out and got the other three SIGMA Force novels and read them all on my week long vacation. I actually am now just starting Deep Fathom. I am fascinated by all of the research that you have done for your novels, and it really gets me excited and wanting to do some of my own! I'll admit that whenever I started another book of yours, I immediately went to the internet to look up some of the locations, histories, and scientific information that you have in your novels.

I'm sure I will come up with some good questions along the way, but I just wanted to say thanks for all the great books!

Amy
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Thanks, Amy....and Welcome!

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Invasion of the viruses!

Hey Jim, remember the movie, Invasion of the Body Snatchers? the original with Donald Sutherland and Jeff Goldblum? One of my friends and I just saw the new version of it tonight called, Invasion. Its a little different, and the difference is what I thought you would be interested in, given this book. This is not spoiling the movie to tell this part, but instead of pods becoming you when you fall asleep, its a supervirus from space, that mutates when you got into REM sleep. It changes something in your genetic code and changes you. Kinda made me think too about when I said, what if we sent out DNA code language out there to space, who would come lol. I wont give away any of what makes the movie what it is. If you saw the old one, you know the story line so I didnt give away anything with that tidbit. But there is also a moral question that is presented in the end, that I had kind of wondered about with the original, in a different way. But if you get a chance before the club is done, go see it Jim and see what you think. I am telling you, the superviruses seem to be the theme this month! :smileywink:
Vivian
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Re: Invasion of the viruses!

Oh, I'm sure I'll see INVASION. The book that the movie (and the earlier ones), Jack Finney's Invasion of the Body Snatchers, is one of my favorite books. In fact, I did an NPR "All Things Considered" segment about the book just last week. Here's a link to the page that contains the essay:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5432412

Jim

Users Online
Currently online: 25 members 510 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: