Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Hello from James Rollins

Welcome to the discussion board on The Judas Strain! Are you wondering what to talk about? Could there actually be a deeper resonance in a modern-day thriller? While certainly a thriller should have a roaring adventure at its heart, full of romance, cliffhangers, and surprises, I think for a book to resonate with a reader at a deeper level it should offer more. A book should challenge the reader, involve them and immerse them in histories and speculations that still echo after the last page is turned. At the end of each novel, I lay out what is truth and what is fiction.

One of the greatest compliments I find among letters from readers is when one of my books has inspired them to delve deeper into the topics raised in the novel. I hope you discover the same here on this board.

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from James Rollins

JamesRollins wrote:
Welcome to the discussion board on The Judas Strain! Are you wondering what to talk about? Could there actually be a deeper resonance in a modern-day thriller? While certainly a thriller should have a roaring adventure at its heart, full of romance, cliffhangers, and surprises, I think for a book to resonate with a reader at a deeper level it should offer more. A book should challenge the reader, involve them and immerse them in histories and speculations that still echo after the last page is turned. At the end of each novel, I lay out what is truth and what is fiction.

One of the greatest compliments I find among letters from readers is when one of my books has inspired them to delve deeper into the topics raised in the novel. I hope you discover the same here on this board.

James, I am only half way through and you have me searching the internet for some of the historical stuff you write about here and some of the locations mentioned so far lol! Now its an interesting book that will make me research things when its a novel! And I will have some...is that really real? kind of questions once we get going lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
New User
lanitaslace
0 Kudos

Hello James,
It is with great pleasure that I write this. YOU are the only writer that I consistently pay "new" prices for and I don't mind a bit!! I love the fact that I found the opportunity to say "hello and thank you" today. I started to read your books about three years ago and had to play catch up with you. Now, I buy every book as soon as possible!
Your books bring up such interesting possibilities and I constantly share with friends that you combine just about every genre in your writing - adventure/thriller, love story, science, etc. I don't need to tell you, because you know. I have passed some of my books along and hooked some new fans for you. My family scouts the latest buys and have gifted me with your stories more than once.
You are truly gifted and I appreciate the depth of your writing! Please keep up the high quality and know you are really appreciated. I do have a question: How do you pick the locales and plot? They are so wildly different in all the books.
Best regards, Lanita (Magnolia, TX)
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Hi Vivico1...I look forward to discussing the book!
Welcome to the book club!
Jim

Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Hi Lanita! Welcome to the club! As to your question about locales, I love to travel, and when I do, I take lots of pictures, keep a daily journal, and look for those "telling details" that make a place unique. Eventually they find themselves into the books. I'm always looking for little corners of the world to set stories, especially places with interesting mythologies or histories.

Jim

Contributor
BryVal
0 Kudos

Hello,

Mr. Rollins, I was just wondering if you have or if you are planning any kind of book signings for your book. And if so, will they bring you to the Las Vegas area.

This will be the first of your books I have the opportunity to read. I can't wait to start.

Bryan
Reader
galinda143
0 Kudos

Hello Mr. Rollins!

First I just want to say that you are by far my favorite author! I have been reading your novels since Amazonia first came out on the bookshelves! I was just wondering if you have considered bringing more of your characters from your other non-Sigma novels into your next Sigma novel like you did with Lisa Cummings and Kowalski?

Lisa
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Bryan,

I just finished a book tour across America. In fact, I was only home one day last month. Unfortunately I didn't make it to Las Vegas...though I did speak at the Las Vegas Writers Conference two years in a row, so I'm sure I'll be back soon! Hope to see you there!

Jim

Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

bringing more of your characters from your other non-Sigma novels into your next Sigma novel like you did with Lisa Cummings and Kowalski?

Hi Lisa,

Yep, you'll be seeing occasional cameos from the earlier books in future volumes. I like re-visiting old friends.

Jim

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
bringing more of your characters from your other non-Sigma novels into your next Sigma novel like you did with Lisa Cummings and Kowalski?

Hi Lisa,

Yep, you'll be seeing occasional cameos from the earlier books in future volumes. I like re-visiting old friends.

Jim

Jim,

Oh good, because I really enjoyed Ryder's character. Let's see more of him! Wish I could say more, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

JamesRollins wrote:

Hi Lisa,

Jim

Jim,

Oh good, because I really enjoyed Ryder's character. Let's see more of him! Wish I could say more, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

I take it then, thats a character who lives??
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
zonadude
0 Kudos

Hi James,

I have a tough question for you, but its a fun tough.

What story of yours was the most fun to write?

I know I totally loved reading Map of Bones, Sandstorm, and Amazonia..in that order respectively...the others are all closely following, with Judas Strain somewhere among those top three...

But which ones did you have the most fun writing? I have always wondered if the stories that are the most fun to read are the worst/hardest to write.
Frequent Contributor
hawaiianchique
0 Kudos

Mr. Rollins, I loved Seichan. I was so fascinated by her internal struggle. Despite her "heartless" methods,I found myself sympathizing with her. I loved her few moments of vulnerability. I love those characters that have so much more going on that what they portray on the outside.
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

What story of yours was the most fun to write?

While I love writing all the books, Amazonia still holds a special place in my heart. Maybe it's my veterinary background. I loved creating all the strange jungle creatures in that book. Be watching for more such creations in upcoming books!

Jim

Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

"I loved Seichan"

Me too! What many people don't know is that she actually first appeared in my earliest novel, Subterranean. She was in it for only one chapter...and unfortunately THAT chapter ended up on the cutting room floor during edits, so she never actually made it into print. But I loved her so much, I resurrected her for Map of Bones. There is much more to her past and her future to be revealed in upcoming books.

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
"I loved Seichan"

Me too! What many people don't know is that she actually first appeared in my earliest novel, Subterranean. She was in it for only one chapter...and unfortunately THAT chapter ended up on the cutting room floor during edits, so she never actually made it into print. But I loved her so much, I resurrected her for Map of Bones. There is much more to her past and her future to be revealed in upcoming books.

Jim

You know, I kinda feel like this book would have been even more enjoyable if I had read your others first to see these characters that you say were in your earlier ones. I have some questions along that line and one HUGE one about the end, but cant yet, we just started lol and some are just now reading. Sooooo, I dont know what to ask about until the mod or editor puts up some more threads to post to. OH, on one of these you talked about working with the novelization of the new Indiana Jones movie, now that I can really see you doing from this book, very action packed. Oh I have such questions! lol ok I will be patient! :smileywink: See talking right now even about anyone in this book who may be in any future books, tells others who are right in the middle of it, that this person is going to live! I am glad I am through reading because thats two names now that people know lived and the way you write, three times I didnt know if this person or that one was alive or dead or would be and i wont say who or where as to not spoil it for anyone cause I would have thrown my hands up to be sitting on the edge of my seat with this book and then find out here, someone made it through something in that part of the book! You suspense in this area is toooo good to spoil for anyone. :smileywink:
Vivian
Reader
galinda143
0 Kudos

Jim,

One of my favorite characters has to be Painter!! I thought he was great in Sandstorm and in Black Order where he had more of a major role than in Map of Bones and the Judas Strain. I was just wondering if in your novels to come he will be taking even more of a major part like Commander Pierce?

Lisa

P.S. I absolutely loved your ending to Judas Strain, it has to be your best ending yet!! Especially with the SOS...I was so mad the book ended, I just wanted to keep reading and reading!
New User
mystymoon
0 Kudos

James,
I picked up THE JUDAS STRAIN and thought I would get through it fast. HA! I absolutely LOVE this book and though I want to get through it and find out what is going on, on the other hand I don't want to because it is a wonderful read. This book, though had me going to the bookstore and buying all your other ones. LOL.
I can not put it down. I wish it were a lot longer....
Keep up the good work. And I am interested, from a readers standpoint only, on biowarfare. Just from reading your book.

Mystymoon
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Thanks, Lisa! Glad you enjoyed Judas Strain...and most definitely we'll be seeing more of Painter (and his past!)

Jim

Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Hi Mystymoon...we've opened a "biowarfare" track. Love to hear your thoughts/comments/questions on the subject.

Jim

Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 303 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: