Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

In light of the endorsements from Jim and Stephanie, I shall continue to read my books and not feel the least bit guilty! :smileyhappy:
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

SHADOW DIVERS by Robert Kurson

I've got a copy of this book in my library...chilling book, great reading.

Jim

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Omn
New User
Omn
0 Kudos

James Czajkoxski,

I have loved all of you books, from Amazonia to Wit'ch Star to Hinterland. You are the best author I have yet come across. The Stories all hold appeal, as they reveal the character's true character with each chapter, slowly giving the reader an indication of what goes on in their heads, how they will react to different situations and what their motives are.

No other author I have come across (and I come across many)give such depth to so many aspects of human character, or create such imaginative situations for the hero/s to escape from. Another twist you add, which is rarely seen, is the death of favourite characters, which adds an uncertainty as to who will survive each situation, and with what ailment.

Finally, the sheer suspense left at each break with more and more pressures mounting up against the forces of good, gives such a compulsion to read on, not stopping until the situation is resolved, that it is impossible to resist. Not only having the odds stacking against those whom the stories rest upon, in the Godslayer Chronicles the battle lines form, but surprises still arise and traitors are found.

Please keep up the writing, especially with your pseudonym James Clemens, but not to mention James Rollins

Yours Faithfully,

Jake S J
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Welcome, Jake! And fear not, more books will be coming out under both names!

Jim

Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've never taken part in one of these discussions before, but think this is super cool!

I am a James Rollins fan since he first published Subterranean, nearly a decade ago. I have devoured everything he's written since then. I am also an active participant at the James Rollins/Clemens Discussion Board which can be found here:

http://phate999.proboards46.com/index.cgi

Incidentally, my user name is an abreviation of my real name, Susan Tunis. Yes, that's my real name. :-)
Susan
0 Kudos

Hi Susan! And for those who might be wondering. She is indeed THE Susan Tunis!

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
Hi Susan! And for those who might be wondering. She is indeed THE Susan Tunis!

Jim

OK ok, how does one get their names into one of your books Jim? lol Vivian is a really good name, a doctors name or something lol. It almost was. I was working on my PhD in psychology when became disabled. Got a need for a Vivian? lol :smileywink: and HI SUSAN, who do you see playing your namesake for a movie lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Hi Vivian & Hola Jimbo,

How to get your name in a novel--I know two ways. One is to make a significant donation in a charity auction. I took the other route. I just nagged him for several years. He always said yes, but then said he was going to do awful things to me. I said I was fine with that, but when it came to actually reading the book it was pretty unpleasant, LOL.

Oh, and I just posted that I could play myself in the movie. But actually, that's something I never thought about before. Hmmm, an exboyfriend once sent me a photo of model/actress Elizabeth Jagger and said the resemblance was striking. She's a brunette, and MUCH thinner, but I could see what he meant.

Oh, what about Virginia Madsen? She looks a bit like me, and she's tremendously talented. I think she might be my choice. Another 30-something actress who's crazy talented and seems to be a chameleon in every film is Toni Collette. But Virginia Madsen would be my first choice.
Susan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

suetu wrote:
Hi Vivian & Hola Jimbo,

How to get your name in a novel--I know two ways. One is to make a significant donation in a charity auction. I took the other route. I just nagged him for several years. He always said yes, but then said he was going to do awful things to me. I said I was fine with that, but when it came to actually reading the book it was pretty unpleasant, LOL.

Oh, and I just posted that I could play myself in the movie. But actually, that's something I never thought about before. Hmmm, an exboyfriend once sent me a photo of model/actress Elizabeth Jagger and said the resemblance was striking. She's a brunette, and MUCH thinner, but I could see what he meant.

Oh, what about Virginia Madsen? She looks a bit like me, and she's tremendously talented. I think she might be my choice. Another 30-something actress who's crazy talented and seems to be a chameleon in every film is Toni Collette. But Virginia Madsen would be my first choice.

Hey,you got one of the most interesting parts in the book! But yeah, a bit unpleasant lol but look at the ending! :smileywink: So Susan, on this movie thing, are we trying to match you?? OR the Susan in the book?? lol Cause if you are like she is throughout, then ouch! I feel for you. I will look at some pics of the ones you mentioned but what I was really asking you was who do you see playing the "character" of Susan in the book lol, not you per say, no offense :smileywink:. If he ever used my name in a book, heck he can kill me off or whatever but I dont think I would want her to particularly look like me, depends on the personality and activity of the character.

OK, I just looked at some pictures, Virginia, well maybe, but I cant see her as the image of the Susan at the end. Toni Collette, umm no. LOL and Elizabeth Jagger? Well if we want some anorexic looking Susan with the biggest dark eyebrows that are scary! hmmmm, think about the last scene with Susan and work back. Someone who could fit both sides.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 08-11-2007 01:43 AM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:I will look at some pics of the ones you mentioned but what I was really asking you was who do you see playing the "character" of Susan in the book lol, not you per say, no offense :smileywink:.

Certainly no offense taken. :-) But to be honest, I can't separate the character from me. Even though my relationship to the fictional character is superficial, when I read the novel, in my head, it was me. (Now you know why it was so disturbing!)
Susan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

suetu wrote:

vivico1 wrote:I will look at some pics of the ones you mentioned but what I was really asking you was who do you see playing the "character" of Susan in the book lol, not you per say, no offense :smileywink:.

Certainly no offense taken. :-) But to be honest, I can't separate the character from me. Even though my relationship to the fictional character is superficial, when I read the novel, in my head, it was me. (Now you know why it was so disturbing!)

how about Kate Winslet? or hey, Charlize Theron??

Message Edited by vivico1 on 08-11-2007 02:00 AM
Vivian
New User
Moldy-Muse
0 Kudos

Hi. I'm a fan of Jim and his books. A few years ago I was wandering around my former local B&N, saw a display for "Ice Hunt", thought the cover was really cool and bought the book. I couldn't put it down. I figured out how to cook dinner while reading (although I'll admit I burned the sautéd onions - LOL!), I watched TV while reading, I even -- horrors -- learned to clean house while I read. ROFL!

Obviously I loved the book and have now read all of the "Rollins" books. :smileyhappy:

I have had the pleasure of meeting Jim at a book signing (I used to live down the road a few miles from him) and found him most gracious and a delightful person. Now I live on the coast of Oregon where the only books stores are those filled with previously read books, and so we don't seem to get authors dropping by for signings and such. :smileywink: (You should have come over while you were in Oregon, Jim. The weather was great -- better than you probably found in Portland and all. HAHAHA)

I'm glad Sue posted a link at the Rollins board. It's always great to chat with book lovers.

Oh, and while I'll sign my posts MM or M-M or something ... my real name is Kim. :smileywink: :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

Moldy-Muse wrote:
I figured out how to cook dinner while reading (although I'll admit I burned the sautéd onions - LOL!), I watched TV while reading, I even -- horrors -- learned to clean house while I read. ROFL!

You can read and clean house at the same time? :smileysurprised:

Wow, that is impressive!...... I think.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Vila wrote:

Moldy-Muse wrote:
I figured out how to cook dinner while reading (although I'll admit I burned the sautéd onions - LOL!), I watched TV while reading, I even -- horrors -- learned to clean house while I read. ROFL!

You can read and clean house at the same time? :smileysurprised:

Wow, that is impressive!...... I think.

Hey, I'm impressed!
Vivian
New User
Moldy-Muse
0 Kudos

Cleaning and reading -- should I share my tips, or would you rather not know. :smileywink: :smileyvery-happy:
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Hi Kim! Thanks for your generous note! I love Oregon...such a beautiful place. The trip from Portland up the Columbia Gorge to Hood River was simply spectacular.

Jim

Contributor
Carrie
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! Sorry I'm a little late joining the discussion, but wanted to introduce myself anyway! I'm from Georgia, have 3 kids, and am a registered nurse. I have read all of the James Rollins books so far, & loved every one of them. They always make me stop & think (which is what makes a book great!) Fav authors, besides James Rollins, include Steve Berry, Robin Cook, Michael Crichton, JRR Tolkien, & Dan Brown. I'm glad to be joining this discussion, although I may have to go back & re-read the book since it's been a month & several books since I read it!

"I cannot live without books."- Thomas Jefferson
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Welcome, Carrie...all the way from Georgia! No wonder you read Steve Berry (grin). He's a lawyer from St. Marys, Georgia, and good friend of mine. Hence the half-secret reference in Black Order to the main character in his most recent books.

Jim

Contributor
Carrie
0 Kudos

Thanks for the welcome Jim!
I did get your "half secret" reference to Cotton Malone in Black Order, & was very glad to see it! To those of us that have read Steve Berry's books, it wasn't all that secret!
New User
Ames1278
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! My name is Amy and I am from New Jersey. I'm a college student that just recently started reading Jim's books this month while on vacation at the shore. I'm completely addicted, and I really want more! Some of my other favorite authors include: Dan Brown, Steve Berry, Michael Crichton, Jodi Picoult, among many others. I'm always looking for new reading suggestions! Nice to meet all of you!

Amy
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 640 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: