Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

PLASMIDS

Jim, I found the talk about plasmids and their relationship to diseases, or viruses and bacterium if you will, very interesting. Also your information in the back on facts on plagues. I had wondered if this really was how they could make anthrax and other dangerous bioweapons, by manipulation. I ran across this website about plasmids and how they are easy to manipulate and what is needed to do so, and got to tell ya, that put a new chill down my spine too, to know they really could be manipulated easily and that put an even scarier tone to your book!

this is just a simple one page item on that stuff:
http://lifesciences.asu.edu/resources/mamajis/plasmids/plasmids.html
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
Carrie
0 Kudos

Re: PLASMIDS

vivico1 wrote:
Jim, I found the talk about plasmids and their relationship to diseases, or viruses and bacterium if you will, very interesting. Also your information in the back on facts on plagues. I had wondered if this really was how they could make anthrax and other dangerous bioweapons, by manipulation. I ran across this website about plasmids and how they are easy to manipulate and what is needed to do so, and got to tell ya, that put a new chill down my spine too, to know they really could be manipulated easily and that put an even scarier tone to your book!

this is just a simple one page item on that stuff:
http://lifesciences.asu.edu/resources/mamajis/plasmids/plasmids.html

Very interesting stuff there! It is pretty scary how it is so easy to manipulate these & essentially create a "super bug", although we're doing a pretty good job of creating those on our own with antibiotic overuse. Oops, sorry, I got on my soapbox for a second. I'm down now!
"I cannot live without books."- Thomas Jefferson
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Carrie wrote:

Very interesting stuff there! It is pretty scary how it is so easy to manipulate these & essentially create a "super bug", although we're doing a pretty good job of creating those on our own with antibiotic overuse. Oops, sorry, I got on my soapbox for a second. I'm down now!

hey go for it! I heard a special some time ago about overuse of antibiotics but also the real big problem of not using them right and what happens. Now heres something I did not know and now I preach to people I know on them so much it drives them crazy...you know how we are always told to take ALL of the antibiotic we are prescribed, and that if we dont, we may just be wasting them and building up an immunity then to the antibiotic and that that is why they have to keep coming up with newer antibiotics because of this? Welllll, did you know that if you have built up a immunity to an antibiotic because you didnt kill the bug by taking it all and now that bug is resistant to them, that you can PASS ON that Immunity?? GEESSH, I thought it just meant people were not taking them, building up a resistance and too many people doing this made them sick, or they could pass on the illness they are taking it for. Well that part is true, you can pass on your bug, but you can also pass on your resistance to the antibiotic too BECAUSE, when you pass on that bug, by sneezing or breathing lol or contact, you ALSO pass on the form of it that is resistant to the antibiotic too and it spreads in you and makes your system resistant to it too, so then the meds dont work and more and more people become immune to it and then the race for newer stronger ones continues. They said at this rate, the CDC is afraid of some supervirus that we wont be able to stop because we wont have an antibiotic that will work against it before it may actually hit. So if anyone you know is on antibiotics (even if you are not sure if they need it or not) scream at them to take them all until they are well! lol geesh. Its not just overuse, its not taking all of them when you really do need them that is doing this.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Plasmids are truly scary. They are also the mechanism by which many bacteria pass on "antibiotic resistance." By the way, here's an article about that Anthrax plasmid in particular.

To summarize: Scientists discovered cases of severe respiratory pneumonia where the culprit was B. Cereus (the garden-dwelling twin of Anthrax, except missing those two plasmids). Only these samples of B. Cereus in the ill people had acquired ONE of the two Anthrax plasmids and thus become a highly dangerous organism. So even without our intervention, nature is churning, sharing, concocting.

Then throw in our own ham-fisted use and abuse of antibiotics, and we're bound to create a true "super-bug" of our own inadvertant creation.

Here's a link to the article referenced above (just a funny side note, take a look at the media consultant's name on the right side of the page...maybe a relative of one of the characters from JUDAS?):

http://www.tigr.org/news/pr_05_17_04.shtml

Jim

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
Plasmids are truly scary. They are also the mechanism by which many bacteria pass on "antibiotic resistance." By the way, here's an article about that Anthrax plasmid in particular.

To summarize: Scientists discovered cases of severe respiratory pneumonia where the culprit was B. Cereus (the garden-dwelling twin of Anthrax, except missing those two plasmids). Only these samples of B. Cereus in the ill people had acquired ONE of the two Anthrax plasmids and thus become a highly dangerous organism. So even without our intervention, nature is churning, sharing, concocting.

Then throw in our own ham-fisted use and abuse of antibiotics, and we're bound to create a true "super-bug" of our own inadvertant creation.

Here's a link to the article referenced above (just a funny side note, take a look at the media consultant's name on the right side of the page...maybe a relative of one of the characters from JUDAS?):

Jim

LOLOL, Ok i shouldnt be cracking up at an Anthrax page but...lol. Did you know that name from there before you used it lol? I am so laughing because I can see him married to a little blonde he met in some bar (or on one LOL) named Heather! ROFL, just his style, oh my, good laugh for the morning and please excuse me any Heather's out there for that characterization but considering who it is, it so fits him lol. Too funny Jim.
Vivian
Contributor
Carrie
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:

Jim

I see so many drug resistant infections in the hospital (in fact, we just lost a 25 y.o patient who had acquired MRSA in her central line MANY times. Unfortunately, this last time all the antibiotics wouldn't work for her). We are unfortunately spreading these resistant bacterium all over, not just in hospitals anymore! There is also the case of resistant TB (you know, the idiot who flew to Greece for his wedding with TB from Atlanta? Makes me so proud to be from here!!) Because mycobacterium replicate so slowly; it takes many months of treatment to kill them all & a lot of people don't finish them off, leaving the mutated bacteria to pass on their resitance. It just goes to show, that PEOPLE don't need to manipulate these plasmids artificially in labs, they are naturally doing it on their own according to "survival of the fittest".
"I cannot live without books."- Thomas Jefferson
Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

Carrie wrote: I see so many drug resistant infections in the hospital (in fact, we just lost a 25 y.o patient who had acquired MRSA in her central line MANY times. Unfortunately, this last time all the antibiotics wouldn't work for her). We are unfortunately spreading these resistant bacterium all over, not just in hospitals anymore! There is also the case of resistant TB (you know, the idiot who flew to Greece for his wedding with TB from Atlanta? Makes me so proud to be from here!!) Because mycobacterium replicate so slowly; it takes many months of treatment to kill them all & a lot of people don't finish them off, leaving the mutated bacteria to pass on their resitance. It just goes to show, that PEOPLE don't need to manipulate these plasmids artificially in labs, they are naturally doing it on their own according to "survival of the fittest".

It is frightening what we humans manage to do to ourselves out of pure stupidity. Nature will do it's thing, all life forms will change, and I don't find that frightening. It is the dumb things that humans do to speed up the process of our own demise that frighten me.
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 680 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: