Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: WHO WOULD YOU HAVE PLAY WHO, IF THIS WAS A MOVIE, just for fun thread

JamesRollins wrote:
Oh, FORBIDDEN PLANET....loved that movie growing up. I even had a Robbie the Robot toy. Plus it's a brilliant story.

Jim

I loved that movie, but now if i see it, I keep waiting for some gag line from oh shoot, what is his name....now that he has done some Zucker Brothers films like Airplane and some of the other older actors in Hot Shots, I see them when they were young and it really is like they are trying so hard to be serious it cracks me up! lol. Ok, I got to giggle tho picturing you with a Robbie the Robot toy hehe. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

oh one last thought on favorite movies too. I cant leave out Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I loved that movie. And Cocoon! The first one anyway. They were good movies. Also, I thought of something today I would like to read a new book on or see a new movie on....The Bermuda Triangle! What the heck really happened there over all those centuries? I used to read as much as I could get my hands on about it when I was young and any stories I could see about it. Ships and planes really did disappear or be found without a soul on board. Jim? even think about the bermuda triangle?? Have a good holiday weekend everyone and be safe.

p.s. one little funny note or dumb one I thought, on a movie I had gotten today. I love closed captioning. I dont need it for any particular reason but one day I decided to try it for a whole movie and there was all kinds of little nuances you miss with out it, like little things being said in the background that you may not be able to make out just listening. And its great for movies with songs, if you cant make out the words, you can read them! now the little ahems And ahas, my friend and I have a joke about, that they are movie characters, so I wrote a story once about these two adventurous brothers from during the "Bible times" named Ahem and Aha! lol, well annnyywaaayyy, this movie was closed captioned but also had the different languages,which I like for subtitles and the first part was all in spanish so I turned on the english subtitles and you know what it was saying? ....."speaking in Spanish". WELL NO KIDDING! But what were they saying in Spanish?? I didnt need English subtitles to say in English that they were speaking in Spanish! I kind of figured that one out all on my little own. Funny how they spoke in Spanish, but cleared their throats...ahem, aha!....in English lolol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Vivian asks: "Jim? ever think about the bermuda triangle??"

I have....I find it fascinating. In fact, the Triangle was an inspiration for my novel Deep Fathom, which deals with the "Dragon's Triangle," a mysterious section of the sea in the Pacific where, like in Bermuda, thousands of ships have vanished. The true accounts of the Dragon's Triangle are just as mysterious and strange.

Jim

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
Vivian asks: "Jim? ever think about the bermuda triangle??"

I have....I find it fascinating. In fact, the Triangle was an inspiration for my novel Deep Fathom, which deals with the "Dragon's Triangle," a mysterious section of the sea in the Pacific where, like in Bermuda, thousands of ships have vanished. The true accounts of the Dragon's Triangle are just as mysterious and strange.

Jim

Well, there is my next book after Amazonia then. I knew there were other such places in the world but that the Bermuda was either the most famous or the biggest, or for that matter the one we heard more about just because it affected us the most. I think I am going to enjoy all your books Jim, you seem to write about some of the same things I am curious about!
Vivian
Contributor
seattle1
0 Kudos

Jim, do you still have your Robbie the Robot? It is probably very collectible by now.

Jim & Vivian - I had seen a TV program investigating the Devils Triangle, Bermuda area a while back and they said maybe Methane which can be a gas or frozen. That sometimes it is released and something about specific gravity being less than that of water so boats, even large ones, would suddenly not float but sink. I am trying to remember how airplanes would be affected if large releases of methane would affect the air - but if so wouldn't that area be known for a lot of dead birds too?? I will have to look further for this. Must be more than Methane though right? Seems a lot of electromagnetic effects like aircraft getting lost.

It was fun after reading Deep Fathom I checked the internet and there is information about lost pyramids and archeology of Okinawa area. I wonder if those peoples are related to the pyramid builders of Angor Wat.
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

The ruins near Okinawa are fascinating. Especially as they fall within the dimensions of the Dragon's Triangle. And I also read about frozen methane being a possible source of sudden sinkings. Also volcanic eruptions which release gas into the water and the bubbling on the surface again knocks out the water's surface tension and boats sink into the bubbling water. Scary stuff.

Jim

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
The ruins near Okinawa are fascinating. Especially as they fall within the dimensions of the Dragon's Triangle. And I also read about frozen methane being a possible source of sudden sinkings. Also volcanic eruptions which release gas into the water and the bubbling on the surface again knocks out the water's surface tension and boats sink into the bubbling water. Scary stuff.

Jim

But what about the airplanes? or the boats and ships that did come out with no one on them? I dont see how methane gases can do that.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

It's not the methane that does that. There are reports of airplanes circling, putting out maydays saying they can't see land. The air traffic towers can hear maydays, but the pilots aren't hearing the traffic radiomen responding, or seeing the land, which they should be able to see. The airplanes keep circling till they run out fuel and crash in to the ocean. It is speculated that changes in the electromagnetic field is hampering airplane's instruments and affecting the pilot's vision.
New User
smidecke22
0 Kudos

I've thought about this since I've read "Sandstorm" and have continued to think about it while I discover the new characters in each of the new Sigma novels. Here are my suggestions:

Gray Pierce - Thomas Jane (played Frank Castle in "The Punisher"
Seichan - Ziyi Zhang (played Hu Li in Rush Hour 2 and main character in Memoirs of a Geisha)
Kat - Jennifer Gardner with shorter hair
Rachel Varona - Audrey Tautou
Uncle Vigor - not sure if I want him to be Donald Sutherland or John Rhys-Davies from Indiana Jones
Safia al-Maaz - Rosario Dawson
Omaha Dunn - Stellan Skarsgård (exorcist the begining or good will hunting)
Cassandra Sanchez - Penelopie Cruise
Sean McKnight? (Painter's boss) - Alan Rickman

That's all I could think of off the top of my head. Let me know what you think of my picks.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

smidecke22 wrote:
I've thought about this since I've read "Sandstorm" and have continued to think about it while I discover the new characters in each of the new Sigma novels. Here are my suggestions:

Gray Pierce - Thomas Jane (played Frank Castle in "The Punisher"
Seichan - Ziyi Zhang (played Hu Li in Rush Hour 2 and main character in Memoirs of a Geisha)
Kat - Jennifer Gardner with shorter hair
Rachel Varona - Audrey Tautou
Uncle Vigor - not sure if I want him to be Donald Sutherland or John Rhys-Davies from Indiana Jones
Safia al-Maaz - Rosario Dawson
Omaha Dunn - Stellan Skarsgård (exorcist the begining or good will hunting)
Cassandra Sanchez - Penelopie Cruise
Sean McKnight? (Painter's boss) - Alan Rickman

That's all I could think of off the top of my head. Let me know what you think of my picks.

Ok, got to ask. Who are most of these characters you mention here? I dont remember them in The Judas Strain?? A couple yes but not most of them. Also, just in case you found this unaware, (I found it again off a personal thread) but this club was over in Aug, no current discussion for months, sorry.
Vivian
New User
Swol
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Since I started reading this series, I have visualized Joe Flannigan (from Stargate: Atlanntis) as Grey Pierce.
I don't know why, but I can't visualize anybody else in the role.

I would love to see this franchise show up on the big screen.

Message Edited by Swol on 03-23-2008 08:56 PM
Users Online
Currently online: 72 members 1,165 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: