Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

Re: WHO WOULD YOU HAVE PLAY WHO, IF THIS WAS A MOVIE, just for fun thread

I hadn't thought of Helen Hunt for Susan, but I think she could do that well.

I googled Virginia Madsen and I like Sue's idea of her playing
"Susan"

Kristanna could do that role too, I just hadn't put her as Susan in my mind.

And Viv, Vin Diesel would make a great Kowalski!!!! Now who would play Monk?

Clive Owen would be good as Gray, I hadn't thought of him, but now that it has been mentioned, he really does seem to fit.

Stephen Rea does seem like a good choice for Vigor. He has the look of someone that has had an active life.

Gray's parents.....I think after all the suggestions that have been thrown out there, I can't decide who would be the best fit for that! :smileyvery-happy:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Vila wrote:
I hadn't thought of Helen Hunt for Susan, but I think she could do that well.

I googled Virginia Madsen and I like Sue's idea of her playing
"Susan"

Kristanna could do that role too, I just hadn't put her as Susan in my mind.

And Viv, Vin Diesel would make a great Kowalski!!!! Now who would play Monk?

Clive Owen would be good as Gray, I hadn't thought of him, but now that it has been mentioned, he really does seem to fit.

Stephen Rea does seem like a good choice for Vigor. He has the look of someone that has had an active life.

Gray's parents.....I think after all the suggestions that have been thrown out there, I can't decide who would be the best fit for that! :smileyvery-happy:

oh give us some more suggestions for grays parents :smileywink:. dont leave us with the couple from that sitcom! lol, I like meryl streep but maybe we need someone else.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
hawaiianchique
0 Kudos

What about Jon Voight for Vigor? I really like him in intense roles like that. I'm still thinking about Monk. He's a tough one :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
dont leave us with the couple from that sitcom! lol, I like meryl streep but maybe we need someone else.

Okay, here is another idea for Gray's parents.

Annette O'Toole and John Schneider. They did pretty good as parents in "Smallville", although I will concede that they don't quite fit the physical characteristics described in Jim's book.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Vila wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
dont leave us with the couple from that sitcom! lol, I like meryl streep but maybe we need someone else.

Okay, here is another idea for Gray's parents.

Annette O'Toole and John Schneider. They did pretty good as parents in "Smallville", although I will concede that they don't quite fit the physical characteristics described in Jim's book.

Do you mean John Glover instead of John Schneider? I had to look up the show because I dont watch it and John Scnneider played in the Dukes of Hazard LOL. :smileywink: Dont you think John Glover and especially Annette O"Toole are too young?? I mean, she looks almost like Julianne Moore. They dont look like the parents of a guy who is maybe 35-50. They LOOK that age. And if we say Clive Owen for Gray, Jim likes that idea too lol, he is 43, and thats about what age I see these major players, early 40s. We need some parents in the age range of like Glenn Close, Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Meryl Streep. You knowww, I could see Judi Dench playing her come to think of it and Clive's mother. Or Helen Mirren could be good too. Actually any of those women would be good, if you find the right guy now to play the father. What do you guys think of one of those women for the mother?

How about Betty White? LOLOL, had to ask, just love her, i can just see her drawing a dead bead on one of the killers whose got her husband lol! Wouldnt she be a hoot in a serious role again? Or how about a little comic relief and put her in Painter's office some where lol.

Hey, what do you guys think of James Caviezel as Monk? I love this guy. I loved him in angel eyes with Jennifer Lopez but hes a little older now, maybe right age, early 40s and would work as a scientist but one who could move it out too. Heres a pic of him, you will know him when you see him I think.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0339147/Ss/0339147/highwaymen_CN_161_15.jpg.html?hint=nm0001029
Message Edited by vivico1 on 08-11-2007 06:43 PM

Message Edited by vivico1 on 08-11-2007 07:41 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
seattle1
0 Kudos

The photo of the actor for Vigor looks good. I was actually thinking the guy who played the priest in the Fifth Element would be good as Vigor also. Gary Oldman played the bad guy in Fifth Element (he could actually play the part of Predesh also - a minor part but he could be appropriately evil).

The photos of Kristina Loken look like she would be great for Susan - I believe her hair had gone very blond with the saltwater and the sun and remember how frail/ethereal she became. (Funny I don't remember her from Terminator 3 - I will have to see it again).

Yes, Lucy Lui is/would be great. How about a reunion and have either Cameron Diaz (Charley's Angels, & she was great in the Holiday) for lisa Cummings or how about Uma Thurma (Kill Bill I & II, Poison Ivey in Batman). & to borrow another actor from Charley's Angels how about Demi Moore and her swirling long dark hair for the assassin Sirina.

I think Christopher Walken would be fun as Gray's dad. Does anyone remember Blast From the Past? He and Sissy Spacek (Coal Miner's daughter & Carrie - she plays southern well I can imagine her as a good shot with a gun) were great as the parents. I loved the end when he was pacing off what some guessed would be his new underground bunker. & his mutterings "those Ruskies".

Clive Owen sounds good. (I also think Russell Crowe would be good, he plays any role well).

Kay
Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
True, Annette and John seem young, but they really aren't, and it was John Schneider that played the father in Smallville. They are both older than they look. John was born in 1954, and Annette was born in 1952. Yes, they look like they are in their mid to late 30's versus their early 50's

Helen Mirren is a great idea, I like her.

Maybe Lance Henriksen as the dad. He would fit the part.

Painter Crowe is one I can't place anyone for. There aren't too many Native American actors out there that have blue eyes and still have the look of a Native American.

Kristanna played the part of the evil cyborg T-X in Terminator 3.

I have to agree too that Sissy Spacek, who is from the South, could play Gray's Mom. And Christopher Walken wouldn't have trouble playing Gray's dad. However, there are so many people that see Chris as "Odd" that even though he can play a serious part, people would have a hard time accepting it. Chris played the Father figure in Catch Me if You Can, and it was marvelous.

Message Edited by Vila on 08-11-2007 06:50 PM

Message Edited by Vila on 08-11-2007 06:56 PM
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Vila wrote:
True, Annette and John seem young, but they really aren't, and it was John Schneider that played the father in Smallville. They are both older than they look. John was born in 1954, and Annette was born in 1952. Yes, they look like they are in their mid to late 30's versus their early 50's

Helen Mirren is a great idea, I like her.

Maybe Lance Henriksen as the dad. He would fit the part.

Painter Crowe is one I can't place anyone for. There aren't too many Native American actors out there that have blue eyes and still have the look of a Native American.

Message Edited by Vila on 08-11-2007 06:50 PM

I edited my post for that one like 3 times LOL, kept thinking of people and didnt want to put more and more posts :smileywink: so you may want to see if its the last one you saw LOL. I am at a loss for Painter right now too. I forgot the native American thing. Yeah I just dont think Annette would work for someone in her mid to late 60s, but Mirren is a possibility huh, yeah Christopher Walken could be the dad. I love Russell Crowe too, someone mentioned him, he is good in anything. What about him for Gray and Clive for Monk? if not James Caviezel for monk? This movie would cost a mint just for the stars LOL. Its kinda why I left Russell out with the others. Maybe Clive for Gray as we said and James for Monk? Helen and Christopher for parents, we got Lucy Liu for Seichan and Vin Diesel for Kowalski and Helen Hunt or Kristanna Loken, I like Kristanna for it, we got a few votes for her or Charlize Theron too. Anyone else like Stephen Rea for Vigor? and we seem to like Julianne Moore for Lisa.

OH, if we want to keep Painter native american, what about Andrew Roa? He's a good actor and I think about the right age, tho I cant find a bio on him. As for the blue eyes, give him contacts or something LOL, but hes a hunk lol :smileywink: here:
http://www.andrewroa.com/
check out that first photo of him but also that last one of him with the short hair, shirt and tie and gun strapped under his arm, thats a good shot for Painter. :smileywink:

Message Edited by vivico1 on 08-11-2007 08:21 PM

Message Edited by vivico1 on 08-11-2007 08:25 PM
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

I like James Caviezel as monk, that sounds good.

And I forgot about using colored contacts for the Native American actors! :smileytongue:

When you do that, there are a lot more guys to choose from.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Vila wrote:
I like James Caviezel as monk, that sounds good.

And I forgot about using colored contacts for the Native American actors! :smileytongue:

When you do that, there are a lot more guys to choose from.

so true lol. Hey, I remembered a guy I thought might be good for Gray's dad, Terry O'Quinn. Hes on Lost and I have seen him in a lot of things. Hes a good actor and I can see him having the mean fit in the garage that wasnt really aimed at Gray but comes off that way. Also I can see him playing a man with Alzheimer's but also ex service man who can do what he does later. What do you think about him for Gray's dad? Heres some pics:

http://www.tv.com/terry-oquinn/person/2490/photos.html

Maybe him and one of the women we talked about? Anyone else like him?
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Hey, I remembered a guy I thought might be good for Gray's dad, Terry O'Quinn. Hes on Lost and I have seen him in a lot of things. Hes a good actor and I can see him having the mean fit in the garage that wasnt really aimed at Gray but comes off that way. Also I can see him playing a man with Alzheimer's but also ex service man who can do what he does later. What do you think about him for Gray's dad? Heres some pics:

I think we have a winner! Terry looks like he could kick some butt, even if he forgot who's butt he was supposed to kicking. :smileyhappy:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Vila wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
Hey, I remembered a guy I thought might be good for Gray's dad, Terry O'Quinn. Hes on Lost and I have seen him in a lot of things. Hes a good actor and I can see him having the mean fit in the garage that wasnt really aimed at Gray but comes off that way. Also I can see him playing a man with Alzheimer's but also ex service man who can do what he does later. What do you think about him for Gray's dad? Heres some pics:

I think we have a winner! Terry looks like he could kick some butt, even if he forgot who's butt he was supposed to kicking. :smileyhappy:

LOLOL well put!! heheh.
Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I don't know how old Ryder is supposed to be, but Hank Azaria would be my choice. He's 43.
Stephanie
Contributor
seattle1
0 Kudos

I was thinking Ray Liotta might be a good choice to play Painter Crowe. He is dark haired with blue eyes. If any of you saw the sequel to Silence of the Lambs, he played the FBI agent boss of the second agent Starling (that was probably Julianne Moore). He also played recently as the head biker/persuer in Wild Hogs.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
I don't know how old Ryder is supposed to be, but Hank Azaria would be my choice. He's 43.

I dont remember if it said how old Ryder was Stephanie, but I think he is one of the characters that you could play with his age, dont you? Ryder was an odd guy to me at first. I couldnt decided if he was a good guy or a bad guy. I did think his ship was hijacked but at first, I wondered if he then made a deal with the hijackers to just do what they wanted and keep check on others if he could get out alright. I really didnt trust him too much. I couldnt understand how he could just sit around with his cigars and expensive booze, talking to the others and not seem as worried as they were. Later, when all hell breaks out as they try to get away, then he started to seem more on their side and not going to set them up. Did anyone else feel that way about him of am I also reading too many suspense mysteries lately and looking for one of the good guys to be in fact one of the bad? lol Anyway, along those lines of thinking, I suddenly thought about Jeff Goldblum. He is great at playing the casual guy under fire but also man, he is so easy to picture sitting there with his fine cigars and liquor! Actually, I think he does like a cigar in real life. He has played all kinds of roles from the devil himself to a scientist to a businessman. And you know when they finally get down to the "boat" to escape that he has and it turns out to be this wild boat/airplane thing...Jim is that real?....when they get there and Monk is like ,"what the???" and appropriately impressed for a guy lol, Ryder is just kinda nonchalant about explaining it,(but proud of it)... I can REALLY see Jeff pulling that off. Anyone think Jeff Goldblum could be a good Ryder? and yeah, what did you think of his character at first and is that boat thing real? LOL :smileywink:
Vivian
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

How about Bruce Willis for either Monk or Grey?
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

seattle1 wrote:
I was thinking Ray Liotta might be a good choice to play Painter Crowe. He is dark haired with blue eyes. If any of you saw the sequel to Silence of the Lambs, he played the FBI agent boss of the second agent Starling (that was probably Julianne Moore). He also played recently as the head biker/persuer in Wild Hogs.

I think Ray Liotta or Andrew Roa would be good as Painter. :smileywink:
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

katknit wrote:
How about Bruce Willis for either Monk or Grey?

I dont know if Bruce Willis would play a part in a multi-star film. And would he grow hair for this one? lol or wear a wig? I just cant see Gray or Monk as the "die hard" baldy that Bruce plays so much. I think Clive and either Russell Crowe or James Caviezel could play either of those two parts. I think Clive and James would be good too in the sense that they are known actors, Clive even more so, but a lot of people have to see them to recognize them, then they do. Would be a good combo, so it doesnt become one hugely major star's personal movie. Know what I mean?
Vivian
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Wow...I'm gone for 24 hours and you all have casted the entire movie! I really like the idea of Terry O'Quinn as Gray's father. He would do a great job!

Jim

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
Wow...I'm gone for 24 hours and you all have casted the entire movie! I really like the idea of Terry O'Quinn as Gray's father. He would do a great job!

Jim

See what happens when you leave us alone in your playground for 24 hours? lol
OK then we have a consensus on Clive Owen, Lucy Lui, and Terry O'Quinn. Also we got Vin Diesel for Kowalski and some votes for Stephen Rea for Vigor. A couple of us think James Caviezel would be good for monk but we have suggestions of Russell Crowe and Bruce Willis too. Lisa we seem to agree on Julianne Moore. But we are pretty split on who plays Susan, we got Helen Hunt, Charlize Theron and Krisanna Loken. I am leaning towards Theron or Loken, what do you guys think? and we got a couple of suggestions for Painter, Ray Liotta or Andrew Roa, anyone else like either of them? We need Grays mom too and a couple of us think that of the ones mentioned, Helen Mirren would be good and could play well with Terry. I still like Jeff Goldblum for Ryder, does anyone else? Or any other suggestions? Also what nationality was Nassar again? We need Nassar...now theres a Christopher Walken type role LOL, but what was his age and nationality? OH, and what about the woman holding Gray's parents, and the asian woman on the ship who never showed emotion, but did save the children? And one good younger man for the young doctor or assistant that helped Lisa on the ship and helped them all escape? We cant leave him out. I think thats most of who we need that the others could just be covered by casting lol. We are getting there lol. Any votes on the ones other than the first three or five mentioned? We need a consensus on Susan,Monk, Painter, Gray's mom, Ryder, Nassar, the two women working for Nassar and the young guy but some good ideas there on some. This is kinda fun LOL. :smileywink:
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 1,054 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: