Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Re: WHO WOULD YOU HAVE PLAY WHO, IF THIS WAS A MOVIE, just for fun thread

I would not be averse to Jason Statham. He's an amazing action star. I've loved all his movies. But I also don't think an actor has to necessarily match the book's description to a tee. I'd prefer an actor that captures the essence and personality of the character in the book, more than matching the look. And I still think Lucy Lui matches BOTH (grin).

Jim

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
I would not be averse to Jason Statham. He's an amazing action star. I've loved all his movies. But I also don't think an actor has to necessarily match the book's description to a tee. I'd prefer an actor that captures the essence and personality of the character in the book, more than matching the look. And I still think Lucy Lui matches BOTH (grin).

Jim

lol, oh Lucy we all agree on and she is set for Seichen :smileywink: I love Lucy! Its the other two women working with Nassar we are thinking about now, the one on the boat, and the one holding gray's parents. Like I said, when I finally found a site to see Jason, I could see why to use him, I just dont think I have ever seen him act, so have to rely on you guys for that part, cause as you say, you want to capture the personality of the character more than the looks. So of the three we seem to be going back and forth deciding, Ray Liotta, James Caviezel or Jason, do you think Jason Statham would be the best for Monk? if so, thats another major one picked done lol. What do you think of our choices for Nassar, or who do you think would make a good Nassar Jim? Ray could also play Painter if the choices for Painter arent the best. He could pull it off with his darker looks and who says the actor has to actually be a native american or have a tribe's precise physical characteristics.

Hey Jim, have you ever meet Lucy Lui? lol, i can see your grin when u say that and between that and googling the women on here we talk about :smileywink: I have a question for Susan if she knows you well and is reading this, Susan...is Jim the flirt that he seems to be? LOL or should I say, a man with a fine appreciation for the ladies, even if its just a distant appreciation hehehe.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

Jeff Goldblum is an amazing actor who can do just about anything. I've heard him do a pompous English accent in a blooper reel when he's being a smart a$$ on the set.

And jason statham, look at those ABS! Holy Hannah! But I don't recall anything about his acting style, and like Jim says, the actor also needs to capture the personality of the character.

The actor for Painter doesn't have to be a Native American. It just "bugs" me that when a part calls for a Native American character, no one in Hollywood seems to want to hire a Native American. I admit that has changed in the last 5 or 6 years, and seems to be a continuing trend, which is a good thing.

The other Asian women, since they don't seem to have really big parts that bring out their personalities (barring the one that seems to change her mind about her job), could be played by any of the many female Asian actresses that are out there.
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:I have a question for Susan if she knows you well and is reading this, Susan...is Jim the flirt that he seems to be? LOL or should I say, a man with a fine appreciation for the ladies, even if its just a distant appreciation hehehe.

As much as I enjoy slandering Jim in public forums (and believe me, I do), I have to report that he is the consumate gentleman.

(And, Jim, you TOTALLY owe me that copy of Deeper for writing that!)
Susan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I looked at book some last night and got some more major characters, devish is the guild's doctor who is with surina and both have indian(india) like features. also the aid to lisa is also indian. another big character is rakao, I think thats his name the leader of the pirates, the rock acually would be better for him.

one more note I saw was that ryder is acually described as a darker looking sean connery, so maybe we should have sean get a tan, but I like goldblum so maybe he doesn't have to fit the role perfectly.

and I like ray liotta for painter cause I think painter is acually only part native american and that maybe why he has blue eyes.

btw I don't know any indian looking actors, so hopefully someone else does.

Message Edited by nsully on 08-14-2007 05:15 PM
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

nsully wrote:
I looked at book some last night and got some more major characters, devish is the guild's doctor who is with surina and both have indian(india) like features. also the aid to lisa is also indian. another big character is rakao, I think thats his name the leader of the pirates, the rock acually would be better for him.

one more note I saw was that ryder is acually described as a darker looking sean connery, so maybe we should have sean get a tan, but I like goldblum so maybe he doesn't have to fit the role perfectly.

and I like ray liotta for painter cause I think painter is acually only part native american and that maybe why he has blue eyes.

btw I don't know any indian looking actors, so hopefully someone else does.

Message Edited by nsully on 08-14-2007 05:15 PM

then lets leave Goldbum for Ryder and have Ray Liotta play Painter, Stratham for Monk, I didnt see the abs lol, wasnt looking for them cause like i said, i didnt picture him short or stocky but I also didnt picture the really muscular type but I will go with him. As for trying to figure out Native American actors, they are out there and you can find them, I just remembered Andrew is all but I also looked at some they used in Dances with Wolves, Last of the Mohigans and Wind Talkers but nothing there. Ray will work, he has the darker complexion and blue eyes and doesnt Painter even show up in the action later on? So lets keep him for Painter. Surina and Devesh are the two on the boat right? Ok, Indian, think about middle eastern movies you have seen or there are pages of Latino actors and actresses that play a lot of the Middle Eastern looking men and women. Oh, I may know a couple, let me see. So the woman holding the parents is Asian and Surina is Indian then right? Rakao we need to let casting find him lol or find a B budget actor that we may know by sight but dont really remember his name, know what I mean? You dont want a big name in that role i dont think. Unless you happen to think of someone, let casting do him LOL and lets get Nassar, Surina, Devesh and the one holding the parents, nailed down and see who we wind up with :smileywink:. I am just POSITIVE, all these guys will say yes! lol. Hey, cool that you looked up their names again and nationalities by the way :smileywink: I still kinda like Antonio Banderes to play Nassar, he could pull off being Egyptian with his features, be an active guy and I would love to see him play a bad guy lol. I do have one who is an Arab actor and looks it, if I can find him tho.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

suetu wrote:

vivico1 wrote:I have a question for Susan if she knows you well and is reading this, Susan...is Jim the flirt that he seems to be? LOL or should I say, a man with a fine appreciation for the ladies, even if its just a distant appreciation hehehe.

As much as I enjoy slandering Jim in public forums (and believe me, I do), I have to report that he is the consumate gentleman.

(And, Jim, you TOTALLY owe me that copy of Deeper for writing that!)

lol too funny Susan, now let us know if you get your book you are owed LOL.
Vivian
Contributor
nsully
0 Kudos

devesh and surina are on the boat.

for the asian girl holding gray's parents I would go with kelly hu, if she is willing to get a crew cut and bleach her hair blond of course.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

nsully wrote:

for the asian girl holding gray's parents I would go with kelly hu, if she is willing to get a crew cut and bleach her hair blond of course.

Was she an asian woman with crew cut blonde hair?? LOL, now I know i got to go back and look LOL. yeah, if we need an Indian looking woman for the boat then Kelly Hu can be the guard and probably would for the part! A blonde asian woman, wow, that ruins the affect of that natural beauty doesnt it. :smileywink:
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

nsully wrote:

Was she an asian woman with crew cut blonde hair?? LOL, now I know i got to go back and look LOL. yeah, if we need an Indian looking woman for the boat then Kelly Hu can be the guard and probably would for the part! A blonde asian woman, wow, that ruins the affect of that natural beauty doesnt it. :smileywink:

OK, I got some Indian stars for you for Nassar maybe and for Devesh and Surina, tell me what you think of them and if you like the guys, which one for which guy, if we dont use an American? check these out:
I think Lara Dutta could play a very good cool killer on the boat but also take care of the children, heres one shot of her lol, I have seen her before:
http://www.lara-dutta.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=35&pos=52

Priyanka Chopra could too, a little softer looking one but but have her do that "no emotions" stare and she could do it too, forget that some of these are "gamour shots" LOL and see what you think"
http://www.priyankachopra.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=118&pos=1

And for the guys there is Abhishek Bachchan, I can see him getting very PO'd and just killing someone!
http://www.abhishekbachchan.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=9&pos=51
or there is Arjun Stills, hes scary too! but either could be the doctor on the ship too both could work for the Guild and play Indian or Egyptian:
http://movies.sulekha.com/stargallery/arjun/4.htm

see what you think of them. heck in that shot of Lara Dutta, I could see her as the one holding the parents too, with a blond crew cut and mean as HE@$! And enjoying it!, so what do you guys think of these guys for those parts??? Since you dont want my dear Antonio...he could be Painter you know lol, what can i say, I love the guy lol.
Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Vivian,

I loved the Ryder character- the nonchalance was very effective- and Jeff Goldblum would be an excellent choice. The mere length of the man's leg exudes nonchalance! :smileyhappy: He is 55 years old now though! Ack, how did that happen?

As to whether or not I trusted Ryder at the outset- I didn't worry about him. If he was with the bad guys, so be it- wouldn't have made much difference because he was a minor character at that point, and then when Jim started to develop his story further, it was easy to see why he sat back with his cigars. Plenty of money, so losing the cruise ship wouldn't break him, if he managed to live through the ordeal. But the fun he had sold me on him- he was just so Johnny-on-the-spot and acting like a happy kid at the same time.
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

I loved the Ryder character- the nonchalance was very effective- and Jeff Goldblum would be an excellent choice. The mere length of the man's leg exudes nonchalance! :smileyhappy: He is 55 years old now though! Ack, how did that happen?

As to whether or not I trusted Ryder at the outset- I didn't worry about him. If he was with the bad guys, so be it- wouldn't have made much difference because he was a minor character at that point, and then when Jim started to develop his story further, it was easy to see why he sat back with his cigars. Plenty of money, so losing the cruise ship wouldn't break him, if he managed to live through the ordeal. But the fun he had sold me on him- he was just so Johnny-on-the-spot and acting like a happy kid at the same time.

See this is why I think Jeff would be great too. He can play so nonchalant in the most chaotic times lol but also can give you that look,of Oh i am more than you know, especially with his toys like that boat/plane thing lol. And nothing wrong with Ryder being 55. MY question is how the heck did i turn 50 this year! :smileywink:

Also, I am glad that Jim wrote Ryder to be a good guy of action when needed. I do get tired of the rich guys cutting deals and being whimps, sacrificing everyone else to just survive cause they got money. You always want them "eaten by the cannibals" in a film lol, so maybe I was half expecting that from Ryder because he was so cool about it all, that he would be another one of those and when he turned out to be the kind of guy he was, I LOVED that. Kuddos to you Jim for writing his character that way!
Vivian
Contributor
nsully
0 Kudos

I think all the links are good picks for the characters, lutta would be better for surina.

I don't think you are going to find stars for evil or lesser characters, so they all fit I think.

nassar should be a bigger name though, so banderas would be ok if he had a dark tan. and I think that everyone right?
Contributor
Carrie
0 Kudos

When I was reading the book, I pictured Lou Diamond Phillips as Painter (which was already suggested earlier); kind of a tough softie, if that makes any sense! I also would love Sam Elliot as Gray's dad (sorry, he's a favorite of mine!!)

"I cannot live without books."-Thomas Jefferson
"I cannot live without books."- Thomas Jefferson
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

nsully wrote:
I think all the links are good picks for the characters, lutta would be better for surina.

I don't think you are going to find stars for evil or lesser characters, so they all fit I think.

nassar should be a bigger name though, so banderas would be ok if he had a dark tan. and I think that everyone right?

A dark tan? lol, hes Latino! He is dark, and Egyptians aren't much darker if any. My younger brother is full blooded Mexican from Mexico. We adopted him when he was 3 months old and I love him more any my blood brother and sister and now at 42 he is probably the best of us all too. Anyway, he is a licensed plumber and often works big building sites and is outside in the summer a lot and you should see how dark he gets! People keep asking him if hes Apache LOL. Banderes is dark enough and recognizable enough for the role. I saw one film where he was talking to one guy with a gun to the side pointing at another man's head and just pulls the trigger, never blinks and then while looking straight ahead at the guy he is talking to, cocks his head to the side a bit and says something like...now you feel like talking? Anyone know that movie? He doesnt play too many dark parts but he does action of all kinds from Zorro to The Assassins, where he is one, to a preist to a school dance teacher. He has very striking looks and he is not afraid to play a cast member where more than one person is the star. We will see what others say, but if they want that real Middle Eastern actor, then I thought these two were really good but I am with you, I prefer Antonio and then one of these guys for the Doctor on the boat.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Carrie wrote:
When I was reading the book, I pictured Lou Diamond Phillips as Painter (which was already suggested earlier); kind of a tough softie, if that makes any sense! I also would love Sam Elliot as Gray's dad (sorry, he's a favorite of mine!!)

"I cannot live without books."-Thomas Jefferson

Did you see who we picked for Gray's dad? He really fits the part and Jim liked him for it too, Terry O'Quinn. Here are our lock ins for now.

Gray- Clive Owen
Lisa- Julianne Moore
Susan- Charlize Theron or Kristanna Loken (we are split on that but leaning towards Loken)
Gray's Father- Terry O'Quinn
Gray's Mother- Helen Mirren
Ryder-Jeff Goldblum
Vigor- Stephen Rhea
Kowalski- Vin Diesel
Monk- looks like Jason Statham
Seichan- Lucy Lui
Painter- Ray Liotta

Now we need to decide on Nasser, we got Antonio or those two on that site who are Indian, the doctor on the boat, and the Surina and the one holding the parents. Those two women, we thought maybe Kelly Hu for Surina or Annishen (THATS the name of the one holding the parents!) or one of those two Indian actresses shown on previous thread. Then I think we got it lol, the major players anyway. Carrie, who would you prefer for Susan, Charlize or Kristanna? Maybe you can help break the near tie on that one. What do the rest of you guys think of the possibilities on here now for Nassar, Surina and Annishen?

Message Edited by vivico1 on 08-14-2007 09:59 PM
Vivian
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Jeff Goldblum would make a great Ryder. I still remember his role in Buckaroo Bonzai. Since we've all but nailed down the cast, and we're talking movies and actors here, I thought I'd toss out a question:

What's your favorite movie of all time?
What movie are you looking forward to seeing in the future? (besides Judas Strain, the Movie....of course!)

Jim

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
Jeff Goldblum would make a great Ryder. I still remember his role in Buckaroo Bonzai. Since we've all but nailed down the cast, and we're talking movies and actors here, I thought I'd toss out a question:

What movie are you looking forward to seeing in the future? (besides Judas Strain, the Movie....of course!)

Jim

Besides Judas Strain of course! lol and with this cast! :smileywink:
My all time favorite movie, if i had to pick one, I love so many kinds of movies, would be Sophie's Choice. I remember when it came out that they made it sound like her choice was between two men and it didnt get big box office until the academy awards and I knew it deserved some or at least Meryl Streep,what a powerful performance! Then people started to see it. I dont know if you have but its a great movie.

But there are a couple of others of different styles that are my favorites too. Anne of A Thousand Days, with Richard Burton as King Henry VIII and a young Genvieve Bujold as Anne.

I like science fiction from family style Star Trek Movies, I have them all, to hard core Aliens, I have all those too. But I also remember when Raiders of the Lost Ark first came out in the theatres and we went to a theatre that had dolby, (just becoming big in the theaters) and MAN what a ride! I was hooked from the first 10 minutes and with that dolby, it sounded like the jungles and firefights were all around you. I Love those, have those too LOL and same same for Jurassic Park movies, really cool "what if and dont go messing with mother nature" stories. I do love dinosaurs lol.

Then there is one that is a spooky movie for me to own that my shrink wonders why I keep it since its very close to home for me, and thats Copy Cat, with Segourney Weaver as an agoraphobic Psychiatrist, who was attacked and nearly killed in her past, all of this applies to me, and what her life is like in her house and how she is trying to help the cops catch a serial killer. It may not be a top ten movie but its a good movie and it doesnt really frighten me with the closeness of circumstances, it, I dont know, it intrigues me because I understand her and for that to be her field too, well its a great suspense story for agoraphobics who can handle it. Some dont like movies that touch on the feelings inside, the panic.

I like so many movies and kinds of movies that I am open to alot, so as to what am I looking forward to seeing right now? I am open to alot that are just being released but I am excited about they are making a new Raiders movie YES! Hope it holds up to the others and the same with the new Star Trek one coming out too, with William Shatner and Leonard Nemoy in it, YES! lol, I love sequals as long as they dont start to drag down the story. I wanted them to stop the Aliens ones after the first couple because I thought they needed to stand on their own and not keep going till you have to replace everyone. The third, where she dies, I didnt like the story very much, the fourth tho, she was rather interesting in it but there are some characters you dont want to see played by someone else and to leave them out is to basically create a new story and thats how I feel with Aliens and Sigourney. She IS Ripley and as much as I would like to see more, unless its with her in it and as good as the first two, its time to stop. It wouldnt even be the same without the character of Ripley either.
Vivian
Contributor
nsully
0 Kudos

my top 5 or 6 movies are (in no paticular order) are:

shaun of dead- kind of makes fun of zombie movies seriousness and it hilarious.

gladiator- epic story that I just enjoy.

garden state- not sure why I like it so much I just do.

blood diamond- very serious movie that people should take note of about other countrys struggles, to go with this movie read the book a long way gone by ishmael beah- true story and one of the best I have ever read.

super troopers- just hilarious and stupid.

halloween- kinda scary and funny if you think about it, can't wait for rob zombie's new version.

I am sure there are more that I can't think of but I like good variety.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:

Jim

oh, by the way, about the movie I love so much, Sophie's Choice, I made a note to myself about what decision Devesh was forcing on Lisa on pages 128-129, a horrendous decision. That reminded me very very much of Sophie's Choice.
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online:17 members 248 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: