Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

WHO WOULD YOU HAVE PLAY WHO, IF THIS WAS A MOVIE, just for fun thread

I am not sure where everyone is in the book and I dont want to spoil anything, maybe we need some halfway threads now or something but until then, I just had a fun thing to ask everyone. This is such an action packed book and in my head it plays out like a movie. So if this were a movie, who do you guys see playing some of the characters you have read about so far. One that really sticks out to me, cause thats just who I pictured as I was reading it was Lucy Liu to play Seichan. I loved her on tv in Ally McBeal before she started doing action movies or the martial arts stuff. You may know her from Kill Bill and the Charley's Angels movies but shes beautiful and fun but can play tough Asian women with a coldness too who shows no emotion. I can see her in those biker boots that she kept on, when they all changed and boarded a plane too lol. I am still trying to think of the others... I dont know. What do you guys think? Who do you see when you see these characters? His parents were interesting to picture at their ages, especially someone for his mother. I just know when I read, people always have a look or a face you put to them as they go about what they are doing. I think most people do. Any ideas who you picture playing these characters or what you picture them looking like in general beyond the descriptions?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Re: WHO WOULD YOU HAVE PLAY WHO, IF THIS WAS A MOVIE, just for fun thread

Vivian writes: "Lucy Liu to play Seichan"

Funny you should write that...I always thought Lucy Liu would make a great Seichan. But for the other characters, I have set images in my head for each character, but none that I've paired up with certain actors. I'd be interested to see what people think.

Jim

Learn more about The Judas Strain.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
Vivian writes: "Lucy Liu to play Seichan"

Funny you should write that...I always thought Lucy Liu would make a great Seichan. But for the other characters, I have set images in my head for each character, but none that I've paired up with certain actors. I'd be interested to see what people think.

Jim

lol thats funny. She does seem to be right for that part huh. See thats the thing with me too, I have ideas about the others, but not a set actor or actress like I did right off with Lucy. I really would love to see the mother as a bit matronly and a little heavy. I just see her that way, from how she talks but from what she needs to do, I dont think she can be on the heavy side, so I need to think more lol. As for the other main players, lets see what we can come up with. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
Vila
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Maybe Glen Close and Christopher Walkin for Gray's parents? (I just like to see those two act together, they're great fun to watch!)

And for Kat, Kristana Loken the girl who played the Evil Cyborg in "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines",

Vin Diesel as Monk

Can't think of anyone else right now.

Message Edited by Vila on 08-10-2007 03:11 PM
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Vila wrote:
Maybe Glen Close and Christopher Walkin for Gray's parents? (I just like to see those two act together, they're great fun to watch!)

And for Kat, Kristana Loken the girl who played the Evil Cyborg in "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines",

Vin Diesel as Monk

Can't think of anyone else right now.

Message Edited by Vila on 08-10-2007 03:11 PM

Christopher Walken is a little bizarre tho for Gray's father, dont u think? lol, I Love him but hes got the kind of off the wall look and voice. hmmmm :smileywink: Oh and the millionaire (Ryder?), and Kowalski too! I will have to find a pic of Vin Diesel. I love Glen Close. You know Meryl Streep can play anything, and she can be sweet or very authoritarian. She did one kind of action film too some years ago and is not afraid of them. I could see her now come to think of it, being sweet to her upset husband but also going between being frightened and talking straight at these guys showing no fear, and doing what she had to do at one point. Harrison Ford is getting old enough to play these kinds of parts too, the father of a grown man, and he has great confused looks. His height and build even at his age could make you think of man who had been military in his younger years. hmmm yes lets think some more and come up with some ideas for all of them for Jim lol and see which he likes too. May be an all star cast LOLOL.

I just checked out Vin, I remember him now lol, hey, he would make a good wise cracking soldier Kowalski too! :smileywink:
Kat (Monk's wife)has such a small role in the book, do you think maybe Kristanana Loken would be better for maybe Susan? She has played some strong rolls but also she has that face that she could be the one you first see on that boat with her husband Gregg (no spoiler here, thats early on) and then she has a great "otherworldly" look in some of her pics too that would lend to Susan as she progresses in the story. I was wondering about who to play Susan. Maybe a lesser known actress for Kat? Whatcha think?

Message Edited by vivico1 on 08-10-2007 05:30 PM

Message Edited by vivico1 on 08-10-2007 05:46 PM
Vivian
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Now you've both intrigued me about Kristana Loken. I'll have to Google her (hmm, not sure that's the best choice of words...could be misconstrued).

Jim

Frequent Contributor
hawaiianchique
0 Kudos

For some strange reason, when I picture Grey's parents, I see Marie and Frank from Everybody Loves Raymond. :smileyhappy: That the kind of couple I see them as.
Lucy Liu is pretty much set to play Seichan :smileyhappy:
And I'm thinking that I'd like to see someone like Julianne Moore play the part of Lisa. She could pull off the doctor role pretty well I think.
And how about Clive Owen as Grey? He has an intensity that would bring Grey to life.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JamesRollins wrote:
Now you've both intrigued me about Kristana Loken. I'll have to Google her (hmm, not sure that's the best choice of words...could be misconstrued).

Jim

LOLOLOL, ok you really do have me laughing out loud for real! HOW FUNNY! lol I didnt think a thing about you "googling" her till you said that lol lol. You may ..ahem ..want to after you see her lol . I cant stop laughing. Tell us what you think of her and if she would work for any role. Her name is spelled Kristanna, basically Kris anna Loken.

Oh hey, found this, there are a lot of sites with her pics but if you just get the ones that look like playboy or something, her modeling ones lol, they wont show both sides of her. Try some of her movie ones or this one, FOR FACIAL shots lol its good for two things I was thinking of:
http://www.kristanna.com/photos2.html

now if this is page 2 look at the first one on Organic style magazine, for how she would look at the first of the book. then look at the face in the black and white with the flowers around her head on the Flaunt Magazine,from just the neck up, you will know why Jim. See what you think.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 08-10-2007 09:15 PM
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

hawaiianchique wrote:
For some strange reason, when I picture Grey's parents, I see Marie and Frank from Everybody Loves Raymond. :smileyhappy: That the kind of couple I see them as.
Lucy Liu is pretty much set to play Seichan :smileyhappy:
And I'm thinking that I'd like to see someone like Julianne Moore play the part of Lisa. She could pull off the doctor role pretty well I think.
And how about Clive Owen as Grey? He has an intensity that would bring Grey to life.

hey hawaiian, I think clive owen could be a good choice and I really like Julianne Moore, she would make a really good Lisa I think too. Nice choices. Especially Julianne.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
I think clive owen could be a good choice and I really like Julianne Moore, she would make a really good Lisa I think too. Nice choices. Especially Julianne.

what about someone like Stephen Rea for Father Vigor or how old is he suppose to be? What about Joaquin Phoenix for him OR for Nassar?
Vivian
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link, Vivian!

Oh, Clive Owen is a great actor. No objection from me. And now I'm not going to be able to write about Gray's parents without thinking of Frank and Marie!

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JamesRollins wrote:
Thanks for the link, Vivian!

Oh, Clive Owen is a great actor. No objection from me. And now I'm not going to be able to write about Gray's parents without thinking of Frank and Marie!

Jim

OH NO MR BILL! NOT FRANK AND MARIE! pleaseeee lol. no no no no.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

I don't look like a super model, but I could TOTALLY play Susan. ;-)
Susan
0 Kudos

suetu wrote:
I don't look like a super model, but I could TOTALLY play Susan. ;-)

Well i dont see Susan as the supermodel type lol. Its just that some of the pictures you find of Krisanna Loken looks like thats all she is instead of some of the ways she looks in movies. I think Susan should be pretty, blonde, a bit athletic from her work in the ocean but not overly so because after she gets sick, she needs just more of a regular girl look, not a model at all lol but pretty, scared, but with an inner strength, a look that starts to take on a ethereal quality.

So if not you in the movie lolol, who can you see playing her? :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Hi Viv,

I answered in the other thread, and it took a lot of thinking, but I'd choose Virginia Madsen. She was nominated for an Oscar for her role in Sideways.
Susan
0 Kudos

I was picturing Susan as an attractive woman, but with a simple beauty. Perhaps Helen Hunt.
Author
JamesRollins
0 Kudos

Love Helen Hunt...good suggestion!

Jim

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

hawaiianchique wrote:
I was picturing Susan as an attractive woman, but with a simple beauty. Perhaps Helen Hunt.

I thought about Helen Hunt too, cant decide. I dont think Susan should be drop dead gorgeous either, but like I said pretty, and as you say attractive but also she needs something just a little unique about her looks that will translate into the later part of the story and I cant quite figure what that is. Helen would be a good choice, personality wise I see her more in the role of Lisa but I agree that Julianne Moore would be great for that role. What about Ryder too? He needs to be some kind of rich cowboy type huh? And what about Parker back at home, important job and in love with Lisa.

By the way, was Susan a blonde in the book? I need to go back and see if she is physically described because the one thing we all seem to agree on is that Susan is a blonde! I see her with just below the shoulders blonde hair and something about the eyes. :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
hawaiianchique
0 Kudos

Susan was described as having blond hair. Perhaps that's why Helen Hunt came to my mind first. But I also like the idea of Charlize Theron. She's pretty but not too delicate.

Jim,
How old is Vigor? Sixties? He seems to have wisdom that comes with age.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

hawaiianchique wrote:
Susan was described as having blond hair. Perhaps that's why Helen Hunt came to my mind first. But I also like the idea of Charlize Theron. She's pretty but not too delicate.

Jim,
How old is Vigor? Sixties? He seems to have wisdom that comes with age.

I think of Vigor as about 60s but he needs to be in some shape, just enough to do all the things they are going to do. I think he could be younger by some tho too. I can see Stephen Rea playing him, he is not Italian but could play one and maybe I have seen him play a priest or something before that makes me think of him for it. He could be about the right age, either way and he always has this look on his face of someone with deep thoughts or worries but knowledgeable. Ahh, no wonder, I just found where he played a priest in The Reaping! lol. I cant find some really good shots of him but here is one site.
http://movies.msn.com/celebs/celeb.aspx?c=151592
Man he looks worn in that first photo, but then wouldnt Vigor? lol

Yeah I think Charlize Theron or Kristanna Loken would be good. Those two pics of Kristanna that I mentioned on one of these posts is why, not her bikini model shots. So far those two are the ones I like best for Susan too.
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 264 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: